Author Topic: FLASH -Dr. Phil Exposed by National Enquirer  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FLASH -Dr. Phil Exposed by National Enquirer
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
On 2005-01-30 10:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have the e-mail address of the author. Anyone interested?"

Why not post it here?  Maybe some SUWS survivors can email him about their program.  He might do a follow-up.  To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to refer to one abusive program is a misfortune, to refer to two looks like carelessness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 02:39:00 PM »
Give me a break!! The Enquirer? Do you also believe in the frog boy and UFO's? People that read this paper are idiots!!!

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »
On 2005-01-30 11:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Give me a break!! The Enquirer? Do you also believe in the frog boy and UFO's? People that read this paper are idiots!!!

"

Actually, It's BatBoy, and I believe you're talking about the Weekly World News?
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »
Hey - the National Enquirer is one of the most reliable of all of the tabloids - often they are first to run stories. I think you're confusing the NE with the Globe and some of the more outrageous rags.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »
Here's an excerpt of the e-mail I recieved from the correspondent who investigated the story about PCS:

I am trying to squeeze the story into this week's issue, so it is critical that we speak asap if you or your son are agreeable to an interview.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Darryl C. Wrobel
National ENQUIRER Correspondent

[email protected]

866-205-2646 Toll-Free

561-330-2569 Fax

THERE YA GO........ You could drop him a line and thank him for exposing this program.   :idea:  :idea:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2005, 06:24:00 PM »
This will not help. The Enquirer has the same reputation as the globe and world. Although not as bad as the other 2. This can onle discredit what dr.phil did. If you read this mag, you should only be reading it for it's entertainment value. Most of it is horse crap.

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »
Maybe someone with some investigative background could find the son that Dr.Phil sent there and talk to him. Maybe this kid could be the one person that the press would listen to?

Just a thought....
quot;Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.\"

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don\'t always agree with them. - George Bush

Offline chi3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »
Niles,

I have to disagree with you a little bit. I basically agree that those magazines are just gossip "rags," but the N.E. has really been cleaning up a lot of their image. Back 10-15 yrs. ago they were really hit hard by a bunch lawsuits and now they are fairly accurate with their stuff. If you ever look at some of the "reputable" papers, you will see they often credit the N.E. with information. I am not saying they don't ever publish rumors, but to be fair, I read a lot of different publications every month, and I swear the enquirer has most of the same stuff as the rest, only about a month earlier. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for people to contact them since they are the ones willing to tell the truth about the "schools" and Dr. Phil. Hey, if I can find out the truth by myself with limited internet ability, then Dr. Phil needs to get off the stick and find out what is going on!

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »
Well, I'm not out there trying to put down the NE for covering this, far from it.

The opinion of *MOST* americans on the NE is that its disreputible. Thats the problem. They might think its BS because the NE said it.

Personally, I know its the truth, because I already did before they ran it. I have no prob with the NE, dont get me wrong, I'm just afraid others might have a misperception of it.

Redemption: Deliverance of sinners from the penalty of their sins through the murder of their deity against whom they sinned.
--Ambrose Bierce

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline chi3

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 07:22:00 AM »
Yeah, I agree. A lot of people do still think of N.E. as trash reading. Hopefully though, those that do believe it and the other publications who snipe their stories will run with it. The best thing I think to do is to keep innudating  Phil and the N.E. and everywhere else you can think of with clear cut stories and true accounts. Try not to get off on too much of a personal rant or vendetta, just lay out the facts. If everyone here did just that, we could do more than you think.

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »
Well, the other thing is that with other journalists starting to pay attention to the stories NE breaks, even if someone thinks the story is trash when it's first published in the NE, when another paper picks up the story and fact checks it and does a further story on the same idea, people believe it.

So even if ordinary joes believe NE is trash, other journalists checking it as a place for breaking stories they can do good follow up pieces on still helps get the word out.

It's all good.

Timoclea

All penalties for drug users should be dropped...Making drug abuse a crime is useless and even dangerous...Every year we seize more and more drugs but the quantity available still increases...Police are losing the drug battle worldwide.

--Raymond Kendall ~ Secretary General of Interpol 1994

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »
I've had several people call me and others at work have also seen the article. As a result of the article - millions of people now know there is a problem with PCS. That article could save a few children or at least validate what current patients have been telling their parents. It is hard to believe that children can be treated with such disrespect and cruelty. Especially those who are mentally ill or depressed. Unfortunetly this is what is happening everyday and more than three hundred children are subjected to this at Provo Canyon School on a daily basis.  How can anyone walk away unscathed after a year at PCS?

Step 1. We came to understand that the government is powerless over people's private use of drugs and that the War on Drugs was making the government's life unmanageable.

--Scott Tillinghast

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Ya' know, it's also about repetition. It takes a whole lot of contacts or impressions just to get someone's attention. If you hear about two case on Montel (and in the context of Montel) it's just a freak show. Then you catch sight of something in the newsstand while waiting in line to pay for your milk and bread. Then there's a story here or there in the paper. Eventually, it's not just isolated anectdotes, it becomes an accepted part of reality.

All I ask is that people begin to notice the troubled parent industry. I have faith that a little due diligence and garden variety public scrutiny will do the trick.

The government is much more interested in preserving the purity of its ideology than it is in allowing patients to get effective medicine.
-- Ethan B. Russo, neurologist at Western Montana Clinic

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 09:22:00 AM »
I've been reading the trial transcripts; and I read over something last night that I had not been in the court room for that pertains to this -
It had to do with the media - and how much exposure it takes for any subject to become widely known in a population. Ya know - like talked about at work and dinner.
For the purpose of the trial - it had to do with which might have most effected wwasps' reputation - Sue, or the media accounts (Prime Time Live/ 48 hours/ numerous newspaper articles and so on) But what interested me, was the way an issue reaches the point of saturation were the population in general is aware of it.
I have always felt this is what we somehow need to accomplish.
This story in the NE could be the wedge we shove into the crack to the flood gates.

So - they just had Doc Phil on Larry King. . .
Write and suggest to Larry that this is an issue - disserving of equal time; and suggest guests he could have to talk about it. Tell him about ISAC; and Cherish - if you have direct experience, you would be a good choice. Ginger is very witty and articulate - and might be a good choice. But keep on them at every opportunity to cover this issue. Now is a good opportunity.