Author Topic: With respect and sadness  (Read 21256 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« on: January 14, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
Andrew Mazur    

MAZUR _ Andrew Blair May 17, 1983 - January 8, 2005 It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved son, Andrew at the age of 21 years. Andrew is survived by his father Lawrence Mazur, stepmother Amanda Mazur of Calgary; and his mother Teresa Bastian of Toronto; maternal grandfather Blair Bastian; paternal grandmother Hazel Mazur. He also leaves to mourn, his brothers, Sam and Adam of Calgary; and sister Megan of Toronto. He was predeceased by his Grandpa Walter Mazur; his Grandma Dorothy Bastian; and his dog Sarge. Andrew was a very caring and loving person - anyone who met him could tell you this. He will be deeply missed by everyone who ever met him. May his light shine in our hearts forever. Funeral Services will be held on Thursday, January 13, 2005 at 2:00 p.m. at Advent Lutheran Church, 11 Scenic Acres Gate N.W., Calgary, Alberta. Cremation will follow the Service. In lieu of flowers please make all donations to the Alberta Adolescent Recovery Center, 303 Forge Road S.E., Calgary, Alberta. PIERSON'S FUNERAL SERVICE in charge of arrangements. Telephone: 235-3602.
Published in the Calgary Herald from 1/11/2005 - 1/12/2005.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
With respect and sadness
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 05:33:00 PM »
Another suicide?

I give money for church organs in the hope the organ music will distract the congregation's attention from the rest of the service.
--Andrew Carnegie, Scottish-born American industrialist and philanthropist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »
His funeral was a wake up call for many. And some people disagree that this is a fatal disease. That was the saddest funeral I have ever been to. The pain his family is going through. Not that this site even deserves this kind of information   :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 06:25:00 PM »
Since you saw SOME kind of a need to post this here (even though we don't deserve it :roll:) you might want to give a few more details.  Guessing from what you wrote about it being a 'fatal disease' I'm guessing he died from something drug related.  Kinda blows their credibility doesn't it?  And now they want people to donate to a program that obviously didn't do him any good and could quite possibly have contributed to his problems.  I'm sorry he passed.  I'm sorry people are in pain.

If you don't think we 'deserve' this kind of info either then don't post it, or deal with the reactions that you're going to get if you choose to do so.  Simple.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »
Sun, March 7, 2004

Cop dodges slug from own pistol
Crook grabs rookie's gun, takes a shot
By MICHELLE MARK, Sun Media

CALGARY -- A quick-thinking rookie police officer stared down the barrel of his own gun and knew it wasn't his time to die. Const. Jean-Marc Boucher, a member of the Calgary Police Service for less than a year and a former Canadian Armed Forces peacekeeper, was nearly murdered in cold blood by a thug who stole his gun.

But Boucher's quick wits and presence of mind to grab the gun and point it away just as the culprit pulled the trigger, spared him his life as a bullet went whizzing past his head.

ROUTINE TRAFFIC STOP

The drama unfolded during a routine traffic stop just before midnight Friday.

Boucher and his partner of only a few hours, Sgt. Richard Nyberg, were pepper sprayed by a culprit as they attempted to arrest him and another man.

"They got (Nyberg) but not enough, so he took off after him in a foot pursuit after that individual," said police Insp. Robb Befus.

Meanwhile, a scuffle ensued between Boucher and the second man on the hood of one of the vehicles.

At some point, the suspect grabbed Boucher's gun.

"Whether the gun fell during the struggle and he picked it up or whether the suspect actually grabbed the gun we can't say at this point because the officer doesn't know," Befus said.

But as the suspect pointed the pistol at him, Boucher's training took over.

"He had the presence of mind to grab the slide of the gun, just like he's instructed to do, and pointed the gun away just as the suspect pulled the trigger, narrowly missing him," Befus said.

As police and RCMP from across Canada mourned the shooting death of Sherwood Park RCMP Const. Jim Galloway just hours earlier, Befus said there is no question that Boucher is lucky to be alive.

"Of course, with God being on our side, he walked away from the incident," he said.

Minutes after Boucher's potentially deadly encounter, K-9 and tactical unit members -- some of whom had just returned from Galloway's funeral -- arrested the suspect still brandishing the stolen handgun in a backyard about a block away.

Police continue to investigate and were still searching for the second suspect.

Boucher became a CPS officer in September, 2003 after eight and a half years of military service, including duty in Bosnia as a corporal with the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians).

Andrew Blair Mazur, 20, of Calgary has been charged with attempted murder and a host of other criminal charges.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 07:57:00 PM »
Date: Sat Mar  6 14:56:59 2004
Subject: UPDATE TO SHOOTING IN FOREST LAWN

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
             CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Calgary Police Service has charged a 20 year-old Calgary
man in connection with the incident that occurred just before
midnight on March 05th, in the southeast community of Forest
Lawn.

Andrew Blair MAZUR, 20 years of Calgary has been charged with
Attempted Murder; Discharging a Firearm with Intent to
Endanger Life; Use of a Firearm during Flight After the
Commission of Offence; Pointing a Firearm; Possession of a
Weapon Dangerous to the Public; Assaulting a Peace Officer;
Possession of a Weapon Contrary to a Prohibition Order; and
two counts of Failing to Comply with a Probation Order.

The investigation into this incident continues under the
direction of the District 4 General Investigative Unit. The
second suspect, who is known to police, has not been located
at the time of this release.

Further details will be released as the investigation
progresses.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »
How did this guy die???????  The article talks about him being charged with attempted murder.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 08:19:00 PM »
He was charged back in March, 2004.  I presume he passed away in January 2005.  
There is no indication anywhere that I can find that he ever went to trial and in view of the seriousness of the charges, it's not unreasonable to suspect that he died a suicide.  
It's also not unreasonable to suspect that he had been in AARC.  The question is, if he was, when?  If he was not, the question is, why do his parents want donations to AARC?  Either way, the implication is that
a) his crimes were drug-related.
b) his decease was drug-related.  

If it was a suicide, in any event, there ought to be some sort of inquiry.  So, ppl keep your eyes open for more news items.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »
On 2005-01-14 15:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"His funeral was a wake up call for many. And some people disagree that this is a fatal disease. That was the saddest funeral I have ever been to. The pain his family is going through. Not that this site even deserves this kind of information   :roll: "

What happened?????  You were at the funeral, how did he die??????

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 01:25:00 AM »
And no mention of drugs anywhere in those articles either.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 05:14:00 AM »
He had a previous record, which is why he was on probation.  
He also was charged with breach of a weapons prohibition order.

Either his previous offence(s) for which he had probation were
a) weapons or violence related, or
b) trafficking.

I suppose we could speculate, but it would be nice if someone in Calgary could find out, though it might be difficult...
Did his probation order include an order that he attend treatment as directed by his probation officer, and if so did his probation officer order him in to AARC? (remember, the Courts cannot order AARC, they can only recommend)

If so, had he run from AARC?    

:???:

The more I think about this thread, the more questions I have.  Does anybody else?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 05:53:00 AM »
Routine Traffic stop?  What's that?
Why were they arresting the guy?
No stolen vehicle, so why an arrest?  Don't they need   cause to stop somebody?  Doesn't there have to be an offence to arrest somebody?

Sounds to me that the "routine" traffic stop was youth profiling.

Were the police riding this guy?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 07:10:00 AM »
On 2005-01-14 15:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"His funeral was a wake up call for many. And some people disagree that this is a fatal disease. That was the saddest funeral I have ever been to. The pain his family is going through. Not that this site even deserves this kind of information   :roll: "

What "fatal disease" is that?

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
With respect and sadness
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
Canada keeps a closer eye on drinking and driving than the states do which could be a reason for a "routine traffic stop". However usually we set up road blocks and the article didn't mention that the car was passing through one.

I did a search and didn't find anything on this person (including the obituary) so who knows what the truth is. [ This Message was edited by: velvet2000 on 2005-01-15 18:44 ]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
With respect and sadness
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »
The amazing thing to me is that this keeps happening. Velvet, how many times have people posted obits in this forum w/ an appeal to donate to AARC? Does that strike anyone else as sort of a bizarre marketing strategy?

I've had a few customers go under. I don't think it was necessarily my fault, mind you. There are always other factors. But I certainly don't go around advertising the fact when it's happened. What would be the point "Please send me some money so I can take a marketing course or two and maybe learn how to save my poor customers"?

So doesn't this show just how detached from reality these people are? "There goes another poor sop who we couldn't help. Please send us some more money so we can try it again and maybe get it right next time."  :roll:

Religion is based . . . mainly on fear . . . fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. . . . My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race.
--Bertrand Russell, British philosopher, educator, mathemetician, and social critic

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes