Author Topic: Re: Straight in Plymouth, MI 1987  (Read 23869 times)

Offline plymouthhell

• View Profile
Re: Straight in Plymouth, MI 1987
« on: June 01, 2001, 04:08:03 PM »
I cannot believe I found this site.  I went through hell with Straight, being locked up at 13.  When I was 18 I spent some time searching for what happened to the Straight to see if I had any basis for filing something against them.  I am still angry at the shit they put me through.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline aillecat2112

• View Profile
    • http://tridisha.com
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2001, 08:18:31 PM »
welcome.

I'm pretty new around here too, just found all these wonderful resources for us. I was in KIDS of NJ in 93-94. Nice to "meet" you. Already 3 days after I found the list and message boards I have been made to feel welcome. Definitely a good place
quot;$solution = undef() until $solution != /coersion/;\" -Antigen

Offline plymouthhell

• View Profile
Will the nightmare end?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2001, 08:55:56 PM »
After finding this site tonight I came home and explained to my fiance what happened all those years ago.  I am in shock, I spent the past 14 years wishing someone would understand.  I actually even became addicted to drugs, sell fulfilling prophecy.  I have seen tons of therapists, and finally have my life on track.  How can someone like the Semblers, et al. do that to someones life for a profit.  BS, if you ask me.  Anyway it is nice to know there are others out there who experienced such a unique situation.  I have always been so angry and wished I could find the Straight people and give them a piece of my mind but they completely dissapeared out of this area in MI years ago.  The internet is truly a wonderful thing.  Anyone else out there become addicted after they left "the program"?  Anyone else from the MI Straight?

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2001, 10:07:06 AM »
hello

Welcome to the internet.  Actually,  shortly before Straight-Detroit closed, Straight official Helen Gowanny was in on the founding of a new program-- Pathways Family Centers in Southfield.  Kathlene Cone did it in Georgia.  Michael Scalleta did it in Orlando.  Kids Helping Kids,  a remnant of former Straight George Ross's own treatment centers,  runs out of the old Straight Cincinnati facility.  Pathways is the first of the follow-ons to open an expansion program.  They expanded into Indianapolis last year.  Recently a TV station did a complimentary segment on Pathways.  

Glad you're here.  It's time we take it back to them.  We need host home lists to get the word out.  There are others in Michigan who were there.  Make it to the DC conference this summer if you can.

Wes Fager

Oakton, VA http://www.thestraights.com
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline KimberlyNJ

• View Profile
Welcome one and all!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2001, 11:00:55 PM »
WOW!!!!  I'm still amazed at how much this place has grown and IS growing!  I love it!  I love the internet!  I was in KIDS in NJ from 88-90.  With "the man" himself. (newton)

I personally want to welcome all of you to the board and to the world of rememberances!!!!!!!  It's gonna suck at times to remember all this stuff, but I have personally found it VERY theraputic also to be here with other straightlings and KIDS members etc...  I ALSO find it very theraputic devoting some of my life and time making sure these people (newton..semblers) DON"T do this to other Kids!  I have personally helped get Newton fired from not ONE but TWO jobs!  :-)

Please read about our conference in July and consider going!  It's gonna be amazing and extremely informative...I promise!

Offline lawcoyote

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2001, 01:23:22 PM »
I was in Cincinnati Straight in 1984-1985, during the time that MI people were being sent to Cincinnati to go through Straight.  Most of the Junior Staff that you dealt with were probibly still the survivors of the Cincy program.  Some of the survivors of the MI program are online and some are connected to the Straight Alumni Yahoo group.  You may be able to contact some people who know exactly what you went through there.  Everyone's experience is different.  I have recently told my wife exactly what I went through, after finding this online community.  Most of the emotions and a lot of the memories were things I thought I had put behind me over 10 years ago.  It isn't easy dealing with the things that were done to me, the things I saw, and the things I did to survive.  It is even harder telling someone I love what went on there.  It seems like about four lifetimes ago that I was there.  

Good luck dealing with what you need to.  You will find a huge variety of personal experience dealing with the same experience of brainwashing.  Talking online seems to be helpful to some.  Best wishes.

Offline Tony LL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2001, 06:02:23 PM »
Welcome. Yes we've all been through pretty much the same thing and when you look back on it, it never ceases to amaze. I also told my wife about that place in detail not too long ago and she was mortified.

As far as being addicted goes, I drank heavily for awhile but then ended up quitting on my own. I did every drug but heroin because I wanted the experience of it all. When I got sick of it. I stopped. I had some really great times but towards the end, the booze just wasn't fun anymore. Now I'm sober and life is good.

Offline LESTAT49203

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2001, 09:38:03 PM »
Hey Plymouthhell, hows it going.  I was at the Plymouth program myself.  I think you came in right after I left.  Who are some of the people you remember.?  I bet we know a few of the same people.  Lestat

Offline Nike

• View Profile
Straight in Plymouth, MI 1987
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM »
Maybe we know each other.  My intake was July 9, 1987.  When I graduated on May 19, 1989, I was probably the oldest straightling ever.  Yeah, it was hell, but 1988 was a far worse hell than 1987, beginning with "Black Saturday" in January, which was right before my own "cop-out".  Once the restraint law was passed in Michigan, the place became a blood-bath.

What was really ironic was that there were several host homes in Pinckney, which is just down the road from Hell, Michigan.  I always thought of them as being the host homes from Hell! :-)

John

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2001, 04:51:22 PM »
What really gets me is that in 88 and 89, I was "graduated" from Cincinnati for a number of years already, and working in Plymouth there at the AT&T building. I used to pass that damned Straight building everyday and drive a half mile more down Ann Arbor Road to work. It just frustrates me today to learn that the same crap in Plymouth was going on and I had no way of stopping it, nobody would of believed me, they would of all thought I was the crazy one. Thank God for this internet.

I really am sorry to hear what you all went through in there, maybe some day, we can all get together here in Michigan and picket Pathway Family Center.

Offline Nike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2001, 07:39:10 PM »
The last time I was back there, I went to the Burger King down the road, and there were a bunch of straightlings there, passing out balloons and Straight brochures like some cult!  (of course, that's what it was)

I asked one which phase he was on, and he stammered, then one of the older phasers recognized me and said, "He's a graduate, don't talk to him!"  Then they all ran away, terrified.  That was around 1993, which musta been shortly before they closed.

Even though I have been drug-free since I got out, I was banned from Straight right after I graduated because, while I was in the Building for "aftercare", I was overheard joking about being brainwashed.  Man, staff had no sense of humor!  I mean, none of us doubted that we had been brainwashed - the saying in Straight was that our brains needed washing.  Besides, I had studied brainwashing, and Straight was a textbook case for it.  They also didn't like that I had long hair, black leather and punk spikes. :-)

If you ever ate at any of the fast food joints an Ann Arbor Road, chances are you were served by phasers.  Since they have to get summer (or all year for older phasers) jobs on 4th phase and can't drive until 5th phase, that means that we all had to work on Ann Arbor Road, and most of the jobs there were in one of the 20 or so fast food restaurants.  I worked at Wendy's, Pizza Hut and Big Boy's, even though I had been in college and the Teamsters before Straight.  For a long time, I thought Ann Arbor Road was all there was to Plymouth!

Offline aillecat2112

• View Profile
    • http://tridisha.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2001, 03:32:33 PM »
hahaha, I love it, I wonder what tKIDS would have throught about the fact I'm a transsexual leather wearing, permanently pierced dyke.   its funny because they would say this is "druggie" behaviour, yet I don;t do drugs, make 90,000 a year and have been written about in technical journals. Go figure
quot;$solution = undef() until $solution != /coersion/;\" -Antigen

Offline LESTAT49203

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2001, 02:35:35 AM »
Hey Nike, who are some of the peer staff you remember while you were there?  They would more than likely be people I was there with.  And when did they change the restraint laws in Michigan?  I was in the Cincy program as well and saw a lot of restraints down there.  But I don't remember much in Michigan.  Just curious.  Lestat

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2001, 09:45:07 PM »
Man, this board is getting busy again.

I have to admit, I did my share of partyin' for the year between the Program and parenthood. But I didn't ever think I was headed toward deadinsaneorinjail. I just figured I'd paid the ticket, might as well ride the ride and see what it's like.

Welcome to all ya'll damned yankees!

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline 2dogs2

• View Profile
Re: Will the nightmare end?
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2001, 03:21:07 PM »
86'-87'. I was there.  I grew up in Plymouth. I just found this site. I was trying to find people I new there, anyone ,everyone. Just someone who realy knows.  Do you know me?  Joe Pechette