Author Topic: This abusive cult must be politically connected  (Read 23713 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
This abusive cult must be politically connected
« on: January 10, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »
As a teenager, I was a resident in Daytop's "long-term treatment" Rhinebeck, NY and Millbrook, NY facilities. I was caught smoking pot and drinking--just your average teenage stuff. My parents dealt with it by sending me to this hellhole. Now that they are more educated and know about the program, they are remorseful. These are just a few things I witnessed while in the Daytop "program":

"Treatment" consisted of uneducated "counselors" yelling profanity and derrogatory comments at the top of their lungs--day after day, group after group. Strip searches were common--especially when perverted staff were on the schedule for that day. Residents were forced to wear signs that said things like: "I am a Liar" or "I am a dope fiend loser", etc. I was forced to wear clothes that were 2 sizes too big, because my primary counselor referred to my "slutty body" as "too image." Apparently Daytop's idea of "drug treatment" is associated with degradation and humiliation.

No communication with family was permitted for the first 30 days. How is this legal? All communication was monitored and limited thereafter. I was fearful of complaining to my parents while in treatment, because of possible staff retaliation.

"Marathon" groups utilized age-old cult tactics, such as food and sleep deprivation, to "break down" group members. After clients confessed personal history and secrets in the Marathon (such as sexual identity issues, childhood sexual abuse, etc.), the predators in the group salivated. This is not a safe place for people with trauma or psychiatric history! I witnessed many people being harrassed and victimized by sociopathic residents following Marathon! Some of the staff members were decent people, but others permitted and even encouraged emotionally abusive stuff!

When I was a teenage girl, Daytop housed adolescent males and females in the same facility. This led to all kinds of sexual assault and harrassment.

I remember an incident where a resident was forced to sit on "the chair" outside, all night, in the dead of winter. Daytop administration did not report this to CPS. The residence director responsible for the abuse was "disciplined" by being relocated to a different position-where he is responsible for staff "training." This is just one of many covered-up, resident abuse stories.

Brainwashing, mindcontrol, an omnipotent leader (The Monsignor), its own language, origins in Synanon---the list goes on with proof that Daytop fits the criteria for a cult. And its abuses are too numerous to count. Yet publicity remains almost non existent about the evils of Daytop. Perhaps this has something to do with the organization's political connections. I wish this abusive monster could be exposed, to prevent further harm and abuse.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »
Welcome and thanks for doing your small part.

Web pages are like babies -- creation involves a level of enthusiasm that does not necessarily carry over into maintenance.
--Joe Chew

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »
Please, and this is important to me, tell we what years you were in Daytop.

I am in a personal debate with a director of a prison based TC who is also a graduate of Daytop in the early 70s. I am going to copy and paste your post along with the dates you were there.

He swears up and down Daytop was "different". I keep calling bullshit on him.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 05:31:00 AM »
Sounds like they had you're ass good. It didn't sink in? Do you not think they were giving you an opportunity? Just to face the facts? Sounds like tough love to me. :smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »
Hi Greg FL,

I wrote the original message here. I was at Daytop Residential 1994-95.

Anonymous,

Daytop gave me the "opportunity" to "face the facts" about cult dynamics. Other than that, it was a waste of my time. If Daytop had the chance to "sink in" I would be: 1)Mentally and emotionally inhibited by PTSD or 2) A Daytop robot, currently working within the TC as a so-called "counselor". I count my lucky stars that Daytop did not "sink in" and that they did not "have my ass good."

If Daytop is the pillar of "tough love", then "abuse" must have a new definition. I hope you were being sarcastic with your comments.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 10:28:00 AM »
hey,

i was a counselor at daytop in '95.  i was often ostracized and denigrated due to the fact that i was classically educated (not a "daytopian") and took serious issue with the treatment of kids there.  i eventually was squeezed out by acting director lanza who changed/doubled my shifts without notice until i decided to leave.  pretty sad, huh?

anyway, i worked in the ADU and my name is steve.  i hope i was some help to you while you were there...

mind telling me your first name?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 05:59:00 AM »
This whole fucking website is a cult run by free masons and anti-christs and nazis. Look up Fager's portfolio :smokin:

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »
On 2005-02-11 02:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"This whole fucking website is a cult run by free masons and anti-christs and nazis. Look up Fager's portfolio :smokin: "

Wes has nothing to do with this site. :rofl:  :rofl:

I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don't
agree with each other, but that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it
would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
--GW Büsh, CNN.com, December 18, 2000

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
Hi Steve,

I am the former Daytop resident 94-95.

It sounds like you were one of the few, ethical and clinically appropriate counselors. I do remember counselors like you, who tried their best to be responsible, therapeutic, and empathetic. Joe B from the Millbrook warehouse comes to mind. Like you, most of the decent counselors were not Daytop graduates and/or had some formal education. As we are both aware, most Daytop staff do not have a GED, much less formal clinical training or other college education. I don't remember a Steve--but my memory is blurry on names of staff and residents from that period of time.

When you mentioned Lanza--that triggered a name recollection. Frank Lanza is the director I mentioned in my original post. He made a kid sit on the chair, during winter, outside of the facility. Daytop responded to a complaint about the incident by moving Lanza to a position where he is now responsible for staff training. I am sure numerous staff have reaped the benefits of Lanza's insight about ethics and clinically sound treatment. LOL.

My name is Angela--originally from Long Beach, NY

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
hey angela,

glad to hear you're doing well.  it always makes me feel good when i hear one of the "kids" has made it to a better place.

i don't remember you either, but i worked in the adolescent diagnostic unit, so you may have been transferred to the other side before i started there.

have you heard from others that were there at the same time?  i miss some of you...

lanza's no longer in charge of anything.  he's dead and buried - literally.  i read online that he had a heart attack and died some time ago (2 years maybe?).

i worked with george, mike and hendrick in the adu.  i always wonder what happened to those guys too.

anyway, hope you're hanging in there...

steve g.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

I have maintained a 10 year, long distance friendship with one former resident. I won't mention her name to protect her privacy. She lives upstate and is doing well as a nurse practitioner.

I do remember a George from Daytop, maybe it was ADU--a fellow native Long Islander. My friend/former co-resident mentioned that she sees George from time to time-- they work for the same hospital. He is a social worker now and left Daytop after completing his degree.

I'm not suprised that Lanza bit the dust via heart problems. He seemed fueled by anger and anxiety. Were you there for the incident I mentioned?

Are you still working in a related field?

All The Best, Angela

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »
hey angela,

good to hear your news.  george always was a bright guy.  he pulled himself up by his bootstraps after about a 10 year bid for armed robbery and a terrible drug habit.  i always figured he would rise above and go beyond.

i was not there for the incident you mentioned and lanza was still "acting" director when i left.

i have departed the mental health field for good.  the system is just soooo broken that it's hard to do good work for one's clients.  i worked for a while doing mental health claims reviews for Wellcare (an HMO), but found the same sort of problems there.  i was told always to initially deny coverage and fight it out to pay as little as possible.  again, patients being cheated out of care they desperately need.  it's sickening.

if your friend speaks to george, please have her pass on my regards, ok?

i wonder if i know who your friend might be?  in any case, good for her!

take care,
steve[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2006-01-24 13:02 ]
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

I can relate to your feelings about working in the mental health system. Many programs are stagnant with dysfunction.

Following my experience at Daytop, I pursued a career in the behavioral health field. Initially, I was highly motivated, enthusiastic and devoted to advocacy. I worked in various paraprofessional/counseling positions while doing my undergraduate work. And now I have moved from idealism to a stage of realism...

A few years ago, I got an MSW. After several years working in outpatient mental health, I am burned out due to substandard working conditions, low pay, and the way most of these agenices neglect sound clinical treatment. Clients are treated like numbers and clinicians are treated like manufacturing workers. I send out resumes, go on interviews--but nothing in the field seems appealing. I interviewed today for an adult inpatient rehab that makes Daytop look like a sparkling country club. The director of the program presented with an angry tone and attitude--not the kind of person I'd enjoy as my boss.

I am trying to make a career transition--thinking about human resource management/IS. I am not opposed to returning to school, but feel daunted by the potential financial burden. I still owe loans for this crappy social work degree.

I am curious, how did you make your career switch? You seem insightful--so any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

All The Best,
Angela

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »
hey angela,

nice to hear from you again.  btw, are you residing on LI or up in our lovely hudson valley???

career transition.  two ugly and scary words, especially if you've already done it once (or more).

well, i can say that your msw gives you the leg-up in HR, but that you should really consider an MBA-HR degree, as that's the fast track to success in the HR arena.  

you can't go wrong with IS, especially in the medical field.  your experience in social gerontology tells you that there are millions of "baby boomers" who now need to be dealt with by the medical field in some capacity or other (you may want to explore MSW vs Gerontology, for a paradigm shift and possible monetary improvement, i.e. Occupational Therapy, etc).

i was in much the same situation as you about ten years ago: unsatisfied, somewhat defeated, most definitely jaded as hell.  i "retooled" with an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) and went to work in IT.  starting salaries are normally 50K+ with six figures not wholly uncommon.

i guess it really comes down to market positioning:  one needs to look ahead and forecast one's longevity in any given market.  like i said, IT + Medical = steady work.  find your niche.  you're certainly smart enough.

if it turns out that you are residing in my area, i would be more than happy to meet with you and discuss this further (or just talk about whatever).

best regards,
steve[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2006-01-21 08:13 ]
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
Twenty  years later I finally see it clearly.  Great business idea.  Everyone on welfare. Five to a room.  Just sit back and collect the government checks.  I wish I had thought of that. While we were busy scrubbing floors with a toothbrush Father O'brien was flying around in his helicopter.