Author Topic: Disturbing Behavior  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Disturbing Behavior
« on: August 22, 2002, 11:29:00 PM »
I just saw this movie about the Program.

Here's the main site:
http://www.mgm.com/disturbingbehavior/

Here's the trailer:
http://www.mgm.com/disturbingbehavior/n ... x.new.html

It was filmed in Vancouver. I know someone involved in this story knows something about AARC/KIDS/Straight or something. Anyone got any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
Disturbing Behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 07:20:00 PM »
You know someone involved in the film knows about the program, or you deeply suspect it? It's really funny that you posted this because I watched it on TV the other night and was just thinking "know what that's like" in its own sci-fi horror way. I don't know anyone invovled in the film. After you live in Vancouver for a while you learn to immediately tune people out when they say "I work in the film industry".

There are similar propgrams in Vancouver they just aren't lock ups.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Disturbing Behavior
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 05:28:00 PM »
No, I don't know anything about the film except what I saw on tv the other night and what I looked up on the website. I just have to wonder if the story has anything to do with our programs.

Other similar programs that are not lock-downs? Can you describe those?

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
Disturbing Behavior
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2002, 03:39:00 AM »
What they said about it being inspired by things during the Bush administration I would think it is slightly connected. Most of the film industry in Vancouver is American.

There are a couple intensive outpatient programs for kids on drugs or with "behavioral problems" in Vancouver which have been compared to brainwashing. As far as I know they focus mainly on the "peeling the onion"  strategy and are about "digging". The most popular one is fairly secretive. Friends in child and youth services have only hinted to me that it's a bad place and won't go into details.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Disturbing Behavior
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2002, 05:00:00 PM »
I don't know if I've mentioned it in this forum or not, but I just moved my family up to SW Pennsylvania this past Spring. This is a very, very Catholic area! I think there are more kids enroled in Catholic school than public school around here. It's so much a part of the culture that you don't have to live it to know what goes on in those schools.

I was just reading a local columnist who was writing about ergonomics and office furniture and alluding to the school nuns. She told of this one who, whenever she saw a student slouching, would throw a sucker punch to the back of their head and growl "Look to Heaven, not to Hell, for the answers!"

Then I remember my grandfather's theories on child rearing. "Raising children is like training dogs; consistency, consistency, consistency!" and "Children are to be seen and not heard"

So it finally dawns on me that there's a very large, probably overwhelming, population who honestly believe that emotional and physical abuse is a right and necessary element of raising kids! That's what we're really up against, isn't it?

You may have read about this woman here in the Pgh area who is facing charges for pimp-slappin' her 4yo around in a parking lot. It seems that with all of the child protective laws and sentiments inplace, the law can go after private individuals. But they're unwilling to go after alleged professionals who do the same things and worse.

Just musing...

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
Disturbing Behavior
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2002, 06:49:00 PM »
Your Nun story reminds me of my first Serenity Prayer in AARC when someone yelled at me for looking at the floor because "GOD ISN'T IN THE CARPET!"

lol...Did they say that in The Straights?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Disturbing Behavior
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2002, 12:34:00 PM »
No, I don't remember that one. Straight tried pretty hard to obfuscate the religious nature of the Program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Disturbing Behavior
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2002, 12:14:00 PM »
I am visiting for the first time and I got out AARC 5 years ago and I was just wondering if you are a recent survivor or an old timer.

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
Disturbing Behavior
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2002, 10:11:00 PM »
Are you asking me? I guess you could say that I am an oldtimer but I might have been around when you were a newcomer or an oldcomer.

Welcome to the board, it's great to see graduates post. Many are very quiet right now but present.

Velvet.