Author Topic: Response to a request for information.  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Response to a request for information.
« on: January 05, 2005, 04:19:00 AM »
The following is a letter I have sent to the journalist from SAIT. I really don't care whether this person is legit or not. Two years after I escaped, I needed to finally record this stuff. Read if you'd like.

Hello,

I happened to find your post on a forum asking for stories regarding AARC. I'm not sure if it's too late, but I'd like to respond anyway.

I suppose I'd be classified as an anti-AARC-ite. I successfully escaped after five months of incarceration at the age of 16. Before I'd been placed in AARC (placed is such a gentle word, for such a violent act against a person), I'd used marajuana about 10 times and LSD four times. This usage occured over a two year period, so I averaged using less than once a month. I'd been drunk exactly once. I was enrolled in school (Calgary's QE gifted program) and was working for a human rights lawyer as a research assistant. I was fasttracking, meaning I was supposed to graduate at least one year early. I had a sense of myself, where I wanted to go with my life, and that I was generally following the right path. I had a strong sense of morality and civic responsibility. I'd participated in many actions of democracy, including being elected a representative of the youth of Canada to present a declaration to the G8 environmental ministers, and this I was and am now proud of. I was an accomplished musician, playing the piano and studying for my RC exams. I volunteered approximately 10 hours a week during school and 40-50 hours a week in the summer. I was a member of the Calgary Youth for Human Rights, Calgary Youth Volunteer Corps, Three Little Pigs Building Project, Food Not Bombs, the Sierra Youth Coalition, etc. I was vegan (meaning I ate no animal products: dairy, eggs, meat, white sugar...). I had an extremely close relationship with my younger sisters. I was an avid reader, a poet, a musician, photographer, and visual artist. I was a practicing Wiccan.

All of these things I've mentioned because in AARC they were taken from me. In AARC, these offenses were taken against my person (I am speaking to no one else's experience, however, I had it very easy):

1. I was not allowed to practice my religion. I was not allowed to speak of it. I was not allowed to read any of my religious texts. I was ridiculed as a "Satan-Worshipper".

2. I was not allowed to read anything but proscribed AARC literature.

3. I was not ever allowed to touch a musical instrument.

4. Everything I recorded was analyzed with scrutiny to find untoward things hidden in my poetry or drawings.

5. Ha! Being allowed to touch a camera! Ahaha! Yeah right.

6. I was allowed to speak with my family twice a week, when telling them "incidents". These incidents I rapidly was forced to invent or repeat. Thus, my family was convinced that my drug use extended much, much further than it really had. My sisters began to stare at me with revulsion.

7. In AARC, in order to make you feel powerless, you are not allowed to ask for anything (aside from asking to speak and go to the bathroom which are mandatory). As a result, I was unable to ask for the kinds of food I needed in order to be a healthy vegan. I was stuck eating white bread, lettuce and the occaisional fruit for the first month. At that point I was so weak from an utter lack of protein, iron, calcium, etc. that I was forced to consume dairy and eggs. I was applauded by everyone around mefor "letting go of part of the disease". I'd just let go of something so integral to my sense of morality, that my mind started to die. Because I'd not eaten dairy for so long, my body had stopped producing lactase - the enzyme necessary for digesting the sugar in milk. As well, I've always been allergic to eggs. I became extremely sick, vomitting and having diarrhea. These were all taken as signs of "detox" and proof that I'd done drugs more than I'd confessed to. Even as just a vegetarian, I suffered immensely. I still could not ask for the proper food I needed, and suffered constant ridicule. I was forced to prepare, serve and clean up meat dishes. I developed problems with eating. I would be unable to finish eating in the time allotted and wound up hungry. But above all, the worst was having been forced to give up something so integral to my sense of morality. I started to become broken.

8. I was most certainly not allowed to participate in any activism or volunteerism in AARC. But on top of that, I was not allowed to speak of it either. I was told that I was lying, or twisting what had actually happened. I was not ever allowed to speak of anything I'd ever done well, except if I were lamenting over having given something up for drugs (which I'd never done). So I lost a part of my life. I completely suppressed those good parts of my life. I still have trouble remembering much good from the years before AARC, and must rely on other people's stories, journals and pictures and my awards. AARC made me want to forget those good things. I wanted to be an alcoholic/drug addict. Because then I would've been able to leave, and return to my school, family and music.

9. I was never allowed to touch a musical instrument. My training deteriorated. I would stand at the wall during RAPs (surely you know what those are by now) and behind my back on the wall fingerplay the pieces in my head. I have fallen so far behind since going into AARC that I've still not done (2 1/2 years later) the exam I was supposed to that year.

10. Every example of political protest I was involved in was taken as a blatant act of rebellion. My political beliefs were held up to public scrutiny and destroyed. I would be told the occasional tidbit about what was going on in the world (we were not allowed to know anything about the news as a rule) like the pending Iraq war that was chosen to bring me down further. (By the way, my happiest day in AARC was when my sister whispered in my ear one day [entirely against the rules] that the Kyoto accord had been ratified.)

11. My position as a research assistant to this lawyer was terminated against my will, obviously. However, not only did this happen, but never was this woman contacted. Neither AARC nor my family thought to inform my employer that I was not going to return.

12. Because of missing the school that I had while in AARC and the result of having not been able to read or write for five months, I had fallen behind in school. I am now graduating a year late rather than a year early. This is in large part because AARC convinced me that I knew nothing, and that all of my successes had been manipulations of one sort or another. I was convinced that I hadn't deserved any of the academic success I'd earned. So, I chose to repeat over a year of courses.

13. I was told constantly - and I mean at least once every 15 minutes for the entire duration of my stay in AARC - that I was lying about my drug use, that I had used more than I'd told them. The fact that they didn't ever the entire time I was in AARC believe how much I'd used, was part of what helped me have the strength to leave. However, I was almost convinced that I'd done a lot more than I actually had, especially after having been forced to say so endlessly.

14. I was prevented from receiving adequate sunlight or exercise.

15. I came out of AARC anemic, severely lacking B12, calcium and Vit. D, and malnourished.

16. I was forced to listen to graphic stories of prostitution, intercourse, and sexual abuse as I'd never been exposed to before.

17. On entering AARC, I was forced to strip and be deloused (despite not having lice).

18. On entering AARC, my offensive haircut (a mohawk) was shaved off.

19. On entering AARC, I was forced to sign forms without being given adequate time to read them and then ridiculed ofr trying.

20. I was consistently chastized for using "big words" to the extent that I was not allowed to speak if I used inappropriate language (words like facetious).

21. Unable to speak unless given permission (and only about certain things), I began to spell out in sign language behind my back or in my lap what I really wanted to say.

22. I was not allowed to think. Anytime a newcomer appeared to be dwelling in their thoughts, they were told "Get out of your head!" and in one way or another were forced to do so. The only time available to actually think was when in bed. However, the intense rigors of the day and already constrained time for sleeping meant that I rarely took that luxury.

23. One count of extreme psychological abuse which I will not disclose.

24. And much more....

To address a couple of your questions:

AARC has hurt me far more than helped me for reasons cited above.

The staff at AARC are in as desperate a predicament as the clients. They are all suffering from the extreme effects of long-term psychological/emotional (possibly sexual and physical) abuse. They need to be evaluated by professionals after so long in the pseudo-profession of AARC.

I was not addicted upon entering AARC.

The best thing about AARC was the fire it lit in me. I became so fearful of being kidnapped/drawn back in there that I created an impenetrable fortress around myself. When I ran, I ran 3000km away, and threw myself into school. For a time, I had a minimum of three trusted persons (a lawyer, a counsellor, and a good adult friend) always alerted to my whereabouts and ready to leap into action rescuing me from AARC. I learned to trust my no one. My freedom and the ability to live my life the way I chose is worth more than anything. That is the best thing about AARC.

The worst thing about AARC was the absolute destruction of any self-confidence or sense of self that I used to have. It left me a wreck. A shell. I have recovered mostly, for I am strong. However, I have deep scars. Some I don't think will disappear.

I am in no way affiliated with AARC.

Thank you for looking for this story,

Rachael

ps. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
[ This Message was edited by: Rachael on 2005-01-07 00:22 ][ This Message was edited by: Rachael on 2005-04-10 18:34 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 08:36:00 AM »
Rachael:
I'm sending you a private message

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »
Did AARC pull you off the street? NO your family brought you to AARCRachael not because you were a great child heading some where fast- they thought you were in trouble. Man you are so full of denial and blame AARC but you were brought to AARC and passed the assessment- so my friend it sounds to me like you need to take responsibility for yourself and quit making everyone else wrong. :wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
On 2005-01-05 09:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

you were brought to AARC and passed the assessment-

and we all know those 'assessments' are just spot on. :roll:  :roll:

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
I like how Rachael informs us about how AARC tried to make her believe that she was lying all the time, and promptly an AARC person responds to tell her she's in denial and needs to get honest! If we wanted to we could start telling "incidents" here and just let outside people see how a RAP goes.

Welcome to the board Rachael. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll PM you also. If you have any feedback regarding the board please PM me about it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »
On 2005-01-05 01:19:00, Rachael wrote:

The staff at AARC are in as desperate a predicament as the clients. They are all suffering from the extreme effects of long-term psychological/emotional (possibly sexual and physical) abuse. They need to be evaluated by professionals after so long in the pseudo-profession of AARC.

The best thing about AARC was the fire it lit in me. I became so fearful of being kidnapped/drawn back in there that I created an impenetrable fortress around myself. When I ran, I ran 300km away, and threw myself into school. For a time, I had a minimum of three trusted persons (a lawyer, a counsellor, and a good adult friend) always alerted to my whereabouts and ready to leap into action rescuing me from AARC. I learned to trust my no one. My freedom and the ability to live my life the way I chose is worth more than anything. That is the best thing about AARC.

The worst thing about AARC was the absolute destruction of any self-confidence or sense of self that I used to have. It left me a wreck. A shell. I have recovered mostly, for I am strong. However, I have deep scars. Some I don't think will disappear.

Rachael O'Neill

"

Hi Rachael,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I also went through AARC, but had a positive experience. Just wanted you to know that I support you, and wanted to extend my compassion to you. You sound really bright and intelligent, and I think you will have a great future. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »
On 2005-01-05 09:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

they thought you were in trouble...

And if AARC is anything like Straight (and I don't see that it's much different) then the above observation by our sanctimonious anon is all that is required for an AARC "assessment". That and, of course, a steady stream of cash.

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
--Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
On 2005-01-05 13:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

The best thing about AARC was the fire it lit in me. I became so fearful of being kidnapped/drawn back in there that I created an impenetrable fortress around myself. When I ran, I ran 300km away, and threw myself into school. For a time, I had a minimum of three trusted persons (a lawyer, a counsellor, and a good adult friend) always alerted to my whereabouts and ready to leap into action rescuing me from AARC. I learned to trust my no one. My freedom and the ability to live my life the way I chose is worth more than anything. That is the best thing about AARC.

Rachael O'Neill

"

Hi Rachael,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I also went through AARC, but had a positive experience. Just wanted you to know that I support you, and wanted to extend my compassion to you. You sound really bright and intelligent, and I think you will have a great future. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself.

"

Yah know what, taking this board as a whole and the comment of the anon above, "I had a positive experience" sounds like denial to me.  The more AARC supporters try, the more believable stories like Rachael's become.  Keep it up Rachael. There are others like you who probably haven't yet had access to this site, and when they do.....  Just  watch out       ::troll::

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »
I am most certainly not full of blame. I blame AARC for very, very little.

I take full responsibility for living quite successfully on my own since I was 17.
I take full responsibility for supporting myself with no financial help from anyone.
I take full responsibility for finishing last year with the second highest average (98.8%) in my school.
I take full responsibility for having worked at Research in Motion (the company that makes BlackBerry - roughly equivalent to Canada's Microsoft) as a marketing consultant.
I take full responsibility for having been in the top ten Provincial Bilingual Debators last spring.
I take full responsibility for running my own private tutoring business.
I take full responsibility for having biked across Ireland.
I take full responsibility for auditting second-year math courses at University while still in high-school.
I take full responsibility for spending 15 hours a week studying kung fu.

I do not blame AARC for much, and I resent the insinuation that I would owe them any credit for my life.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »
Way to go Rachael.  I can see that you must move on with your life.  Fantastic.  If you ever feel like  doing anything to help others who might not have been as resilient as you, I'm sure you will.   ::drummer::  ::drummer::  ::drummer::  ::cheers::
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »
Right on Rachael! FINALLY an Anti-AARC person who isn't whining about how AARC is still keeping them down, and who has gone on to be successful and to use their potential! You have my admiration.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
On 2005-01-06 17:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Right on Rachael! FINALLY an Anti-AARC person who isn't whining about how AARC is still keeping them down, and who has gone on to be successful and to use their potential! You have my admiration."

Don't get the wrong idea.  If you read her first post it's obvious that she was able to escape before AARC could do her any real harm.  
The people who continue to be damaged are the ones she left behind.  
There's hope for them yet.  Maybe there are more than you think who are about to go over to the dark side.
 ::bangin::  ::bangin::  ::bangin:: [ This Message was edited by: Hamiltonf on 2005-01-06 20:09 ]
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »
It seems to me Rachael can speak just fine for herself.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 11:52:00 PM »
On 2005-01-06 20:33:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It seems to me Rachael can speak just fine for herself."

Yup, she certainly can.      :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
uote of the Year

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »

20. I was consistently chastized for using "big words" to the extent that I was not allowed to speak if I used inappropriate language (words like facetious).

Hahaha, this is what I was told verbatim while I was at AARC. Afterall, an addict (let alone a newcomer) showing any sign of intellect that surpasses an AARC counsellor's is a dangerous sign of egotistical behaviour and must be stopped, lest it incite unhealthy thoughts that the AARC gruppenfuhrer is not a superior entity of knowledge and power :roll: .

My favourite though is whenever posed with a serious question on their reasons and methods of "treatment", a stumped counsellor would simply reply "shut the fuck up" or something similarly defensive. Just another sign of mindless following, quite akin to lemmings really.