Author Topic: Need Help in SF Bay Area, CA.. About to be homeless...  (Read 8011 times)

Offline 3YearWWASPsurvivor

• View Profile
Need Help in SF Bay Area, CA.. About to be homeless...
« on: January 03, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
This is really embarassing, but because of certain circumstances, I'm about to be homeless in 10 days. I live in Marin County, in the North Bay of SF,CA. I have a full time job and also go to school(9 units). I am pretty much broke right now and so this situation comes at the worst time. I would ask my mom for help, but 5 years ago when I chose out of the program, she refused to ever help me again. That extends to the rest of my family also. I have asked the closest friends I have, and it isn't possible to stay with any of them. I just need a place to stay until I can save up enough money to get a room with roommates or something like that. Please help.... You can reply to [email protected] . Or you can call me at (415) 747-0943. -William Gagan (Bill Gagan)
(The Lords Ranch 1993) (SUWS 1995) (Brightway 1996) (SCL 1996-1998) (Paradise Cove 1998-1999) (Red Rock Academy 1999)[ This Message was edited by: 3YearWWASPsurvivor on 2005-01-03 12:49 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »
Bless your heart. That was a lot to survive!
Is there a YMCA in your area, if not a homeless shelter or Salvation Army? Might get some response from a flyer at your school. Also check with student services to see if they have any leads for temporary housing. Might work out a barter in a roommate situation until you can pay your share. Almost everyone has an empty couch.
Good luck.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »
There aren't really resources like that in this county. This is a very wealthy upscale county. There are places like that in SF, but that is too far from school and work. I've already looked in to these options. I don't know what else to do...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 09:04:00 PM »
You Might want to try calling the local churches.
Many have emergancy shelter for just such events.
One little church I once attended had two complete apartments over the gym available for just such occassions. Once brought a family in from miles away - Mom and a bunch of little kids; because the dad was beating them up. They got a call; moved her in, kept her hid, and got her help. She was the frined of a friend of a member -So at least some churches can and will help in this way.
I don't know that this is an answer; and I fear you might not find it at all helpful - but it won't caost anything to call around and ask.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »
I called those groups and churches this morning. Only one church wanted to help me and they wanted to put me in a house with Mormon missionaries... I'm sorry, but I wouldn't feel ok there...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
Well, I can see why you might not.
I am sorry to hear you struck out with the others -
Call them back and tell them the only help offered was from the mormons - and they should be ashamed they are not as least AS helpful as the LDS.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 04:35:00 PM »
Call student services where you go to school.  Seriously, they might be able to help.  Wish I could but I'm about 3000 miles away and I don't know anyone out there.  Good luck!!!! :tup:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
Damn! I wish I could help you out. I did ask a couple of friends from the Left Coast to read your post and see if they come up w/ any ideas. Aside from that, I'm looking around the net for local organizations. You've probably already covered that, though. But, in case you missed it here's one that looks promising:
http://www.nhnc.org/Community.htm

Speak gently! 't is a little thing Dropp'd in the heart's deep well; The good, the joy, that it may bring Eternity shall tell.
-- G. W. Langford: Speak gently.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 06:29:00 PM »
Try an AA meeting people there can be very helpful.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »
Another thing to try is that sometimes schools (if you're talking about college) have emergency loan programs for students in strictly temporary dire straits.

Another thing to try is that SF has good public transit.  You may be able to go to another area with a homeless shelter at night, and then take public transit early in the morning to get back.

The thing about the Mormons is that they will probably be safe if you can politely listen to their views.

Have you called the local Buddhist monastery?  They might let you kip on the floor as long as it's not for too long.

After the Mormons, a homeless shelter and BART are probably your best bet.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
I don't mean to sound picky, because all I need is a roof over my head at night and a place to shower, but has anyone ever seen the homeless shelters in SF, CA. They are full of crack-addicts and people with mental instabilities. I'd be safer on the streets...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
dude, three words: tent tarp & sleeping bag

I have been homeless several times in California, and it's not as bad as it sounds if you stay out of the urban centers.  I'd suggest staying in Marin would be your best bet.  

If you can't find anyone who'll let you live in or near their yard, then bushwack, my friend.

Eat at soup kitchens and don't forget to learn how to dumpster dive ( I once ate an excellent lobster dinner, no lie).  Watch out for drunks and get this: most other homeless people you meet will treat you pretty fairly.  Drugs are OK, a way to pass the time, but don't overdo it.

Find out where you can take a shower.
Ask around for low level jobs, volunteering is a great way to meet people who will get to know you and will lead to paying gigs and maybe better shelter.  Visit your local welfare (food stamp) agencies.   Watch the skies.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »
On 2005-01-03 12:38:00, 3YearWWASPsurvivor wrote:

"This is really embarassing, but because of certain circumstances, I'm about to be homeless in 10 days. I live in Marin County, in the North Bay of SF,CA. I have a full time job and also go to school(9 units). I am pretty much broke right now and so this situation comes at the worst time. I would ask my mom for help, but 5 years ago when I chose out of the program, she refused to ever help me again. That extends to the rest of my family also. I have asked the closest friends I have, and it isn't possible to stay with any of them. I just need a place to stay until I can save up enough money to get a room with roommates or something like that. Please help.... You can reply to [email protected] . Or you can call me at (415) 747-0943. -William Gagan (Bill Gagan)

(The Lords Ranch 1993) (SUWS 1995) (Brightway 1996) (SCL 1996-1998) (Paradise Cove 1998-1999) (Red Rock Academy 1999)[ This Message was edited by: 3YearWWASPsurvivor on 2005-01-03 12:49 ]"

What is the situation that forces you to leave where you are now?  Is it possible to do something differently to stay that works for both parties?

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »
I live with three girls who go to college, and one of the girls does not want me there anymore because she has issues with guys. I am totally harmless, but she says she did not move in to an all girl apartment to live with a guy. She is being totally unreasonable, but I am thankful for the time that they have let me stay there. I am not going to argue. I'm grateful...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »
Forget school until you can get some stability in your life.  Get a job, get a place to live, save a little for your future and then go back and do it right.  This is the real world and sometimes we have to put things on hold to get our lives back on the right track.