Author Topic: Is the DFAF still directly involved in teen treatment progra  (Read 958 times)

Offline N.I.

• View Profile
Is the DFAF still directly involved in teen treatment progra
« on: January 02, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »
At the following link:
http://www.askquestions.org/details.php?id=209

I found this statement:
"The Drug Free American Foundation (DFAF) has different financial and operational affiliations with several private drug treatment centers including Teen Challenge, Growing Together, and Kids Helping Kids."

Can anyone provide evidence to support this statement?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »
New term for today: plausible deniability

I think you'll have a rough time finding direct involvement in currently operating programs on the part of DFAF BOD/BOA advisors.

I know that Brother Jeb (who, with his wife, are on the BOA of DFAF) wrote a letter of endorsement to the Anchor Foundation which named SAFE, Orlando (anchor's primary beneficiary) as a wonderful program. I've seen a fax copy of the letter and probably have it somewhere on my server.

Ironically enough, this was just prior to Noelle's public troubles w/ Xanex. Note that they didn't put her in SAFE.

You can find plenty of indirect links. For example, DFAF was active in lobbying for drug screening requirements in the Tampa/St. Pete area schools and, by whatever magic, those schools adopted a zero tolerance policy which required immediate referal to Operation Par (Betty's still on the board as far as I know) upon positive test or refusal. The funny part of this story (even mushroom clouds have a silver lining) is that it wasn't the public schools' policy that made waves here. It was when Central Catholic School adopted the same policy, causing a mass exodous of students who's parents knew a little something about PAR and it's operators' history in the area.

I don't know that DFAF operates or directly funds any drug rehab. But I have heard that they hire Program clients and graduates to staff their phones and, possibly, for other behind the scenes tasks. I'd bet good money, too, that these kids are "volunteers" who don't get paid. But I can't swear to it.

What you will find DFAF doing is lobbying for public policy which mandates public and private spending on their piss testing, their favorite rehabs. One of their projects was to provide home piss testing kits through several law enforcement agencies (Orange, Broward and WPB were among them in Florida) If you called and asked for a kit, it came w/ a referal sheet in case of positive results. On the list of approved rehabs were Growing Together, SAFE, Operation Par and Turnabout.

I think that's about as close as they want to get to the liability end of the stick these days. However, you should ask the publishers at askquestions.org. They do do some reasonable fact checking and, presumably, do not want to be successfully sued for libel. Maybe they have some documentation that I haven't seen.

I have found that the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it

--Harry S. Truman

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline N.I.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the information, Antigen and Wes. I have not looked into OperationPAR to see what their treatment model is. If there have been no cases of child abuse, they must be a different model altogether. DFAF and the activities of former Straight & DFAF execs and board members bears further scrutiny.