Author Topic: I'm Curious  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« on: January 03, 2005, 05:13:00 AM »
I'm curious as to what would anyone do if their kid was severly out of control? This means that grounding wouldn't work, they already had a record, drugs were used, physical abuse was administered by them, and you had raised them the best you could.[ This Message was edited by: Perrigaud on 2005-01-07 23:06 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 07:54:00 AM »
On 2005-01-03 02:13:00, Perrigaud wrote:

"I'm curious as to what all those avid anti-program people would do if their kid was severly out of control? This means that grounding wouldn't work, they already had a record, drugs were used, physical abuse was administered by them, and you had raised them the best you could."

I can't give you a specific answer, since it depends on the child's personality and the specific details of the situation.

But I will say that I would, probably, send my child to therapy. I would play an active role in working things out. I will not pay strangers in some program to do it for me. I will take a responsibility, as a parent, to help my child, instead of following blindly any organization or person who advertise themselves as being the ultimate solution.

I will never give my child away for other people to raise. I will never trust any program that doesn't allow me free communication with my child, visiting him/her freely, and so on. I will never trust a program that attempts, as WWASP and its kind do, to replace a child's family and parents.

I will raise my child on my own and help them to the best of my ability. I will never trust any program to do that for me. This is MY job. If I may have made mistakes in handling certain situations, I will not pay others to correct these mistakes for me. I will keep my child at home, talk to them, involve professionals if needed, and do my job as a parent in helping my child work things out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
I think perigaud's question was if all that stuff like therapy  has not worked and you can't work things out. Your child tells you fuck off i know what i'm doing. You see most of the parents i have dealt with have tried everything and this is a lsat resort to send them away. All has failed you have lost control of your child. What do you do??My mom tried therapy for me and i just sat there for an hour and told the thearapist to fuck off, and then i just refused to go. I don't think you can undersatnd what these parents have gone through to make a decision to send thier kid away.By the way a thearapist is also a stranger also. I really don't think allot of grasp what these parents are going through.The one that cares

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 08:14:00 AM »
On 2005-01-03 05:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I think perigaud's question was if all that stuff like therapy  has not worked and you can't work things out. Your child tells you fuck off i know what i'm doing. You see most of the parents i have dealt with have tried everything and this is a lsat resort to send them away. All has failed you have lost control of your child. What do you do??My mom tried therapy for me and i just sat there for an hour and told the thearapist to fuck off, and then i just refused to go. I don't think you can undersatnd what these parents have gone through to make a decision to send thier kid away.By the way a thearapist is also a stranger also. I really don't think allot of grasp what these parents are going through.The one that cares"

The One Who Kidnaps,

You hold dear to your delusions, that kidnapping children and sending them to gulags to be abused and "re-wired" (as Jay Kay likes to call it) is the best thing that can happen to a child.

These is no justification, no excuse, ever, to sending a child to program, unless the child is mentally ill and there is no other way to stabilize his/her condition. You kidnap children. There is no justification or excuse for that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »
In your opinion, not the laws.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 08:20:00 AM »
And if you  think the decsion patterns of these kids don't need changing, then you have lost it.
I believe that's all Jay Kay maent with that statement.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 08:51:00 AM »
On 2005-01-03 05:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"And if you  think the decsion patterns of these kids don't need changing, then you have lost it.

I believe that's all Jay Kay maent with that statement. "

No one said anything about children's "decision patterns". I haven't lost a thing, but it looks like you've lost plenty: your analytical ability, your critical thinking skills, and so on.

Jay Kay was referring to the coercive persuasion used by WWASP. Jay Kay was talking about brainwashing children, which is WWASP and others of its kind do. But I didn't believe, for a single second, that a WWASPie like you would be able to understand that. After all, the program is your Lord and Savior, right?

Your time is running out. WWASP and all the other gulags will be shut down, and children will no longer be kidnapped in the middle of the night to be sent off to concentration camps. Your time is running out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »
Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!But keep trying

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
I'll take a stab at this.  I went through an abusive program years ago.  Hell, I even married another grad.  We had two kids.  We divorced when they were young.  When the oldest was 16 she got into a lot of trouble.  Ecstacy, failing school, violent mood swings (took a broom handle to her sister's room) etc. Now, my ex married an avid AAer and he became involved in AA after getting a DUI.  When our daughter was going through this, and it was over a period of a little over 3 years, we were at our wits end.  Didn't know what to do.  The ex and his wife came to me and said they were going to put her in a program.  I said, "OVER MY DEAD FUCKING BODY".  They kept telling me that she would end up in jail or dead if we didn't put her somewhere.  We fought and fought over this.  I won.  She never went in.  She did, however, scare the ever loving shit out of me for quite a while.  The only thing I could do, aside from the endless talks we had, groundings etc....was let her go and let her experience her own consequences.  Not the ones I had set up for her, but real life consequences.  She screwed around for about another year or so.  I have to say that these 3 or 4 years were the absolute hardest of my life....harder than being in my program (which says a lot).  But, once she finally began to grow up a little, things gradually got better and better.  She's doing fine now.  She drinks occasionally, takes a hit off a joint now and then (oh, I know...people will tell me she's still a druggie :roll:) has a scholarship for college and is ready to tackle life.  She told me that the pressure of living under AA/program mentality was entirely too much for a child.  Mistakes are not mistakes, they're 'character flaws', if you smoke a joint you're going to DIE...and on and on and on.

Looking back on this I see a lot that I would have done differently and a lot that I wish my ex had done differently.  When parents have a kid who is acting up, and I don't mean just a little talking back, they don't know how to deal with it.  If they've ever been caught smoking a joint, or if their grades drop, or if their friends change, or if they're depressed etc.  then everything is blamed on the evil drug.  Not so.  It creates an environment where the it's ALL a life or death situation.  Parents who buy into all the scare tactics that these places use (you child will be deadinsaneorinjail if you leave here) are setting themselves and their children up for a lifetime of pain, self doubt and fear.  

There is no easy answer for this and my approach may not work for everyone.  But, DAMN.  I had these people telling me that she was going to DIE if we didn't hurry up and get her into a program.  She didn't.  She's fine now.  Yes, there were some scary times, more than I care to remember....certainly more than what I did before I was placed in a program.  And what of all these other kids who are 'recommended' for programs but the parents have enough sense NOT to do that?  Are they all dead too???  Don't believe the hype.

This discussion could also go into the entirety of the 'drug war culture' too, but I'm not going there unless asked and on a different thread then.  It's a touchy, touchy subject.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 09:47:00 AM »
I hope you do relize how lucky you were that she did not die or end up in jail. I commend you for doing what you did, it probbably was just as hard a decision for you to let her go as it would have been to send her away. But you did take a real chance. Sure now she might just drink and smoke a little pot, but from what you've said things were allot worse. She could have died just from the Ectasy use, i'm not try to be mean when i say this but the ectasy probbably led to sex too early and thus she could have gotten some type of VD or worse.She could have been arrested if she had had the bad luck of being caught getting or doing some of these drugs. I do hope you relize that you did take a huge chance. You are very lucky! I my self after getting back from my program did end up doing harder drugs and i was very luckythat i survived what i went through. What you went through i don't wish on anyone. But i also respect your convictions of not sending her away and trying to do it yourselves.Ther are many more parents that don;t send thier kids away than do. But you should understand more than others here waht a parent goes through and how scary it is. Of course everyone does not get the help they need and allot revert back to bad choices sauch as i did.But it has helped many kids. And planted a seed about right and wrong with the ones such as me, who took a few more years to get it together. The one that cares

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »
That's great she's alive. Wish I could say that about my friends who did the same things.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
On 2005-01-03 06:47:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I hope you do relize how lucky you were that she did not die or end up in jail.

Why is it that program people can't seem to function without this phrase?

She could have died just from the Ectasy use, i'm not try to be mean when i say this but the ectasy probbably led to sex too early

Well, I'm glad you hvae a better understanding of the situation with MY daughter than I do. :roll:

She could have been arrested if she had had the bad luck of being caught getting or doing some of these drugs.

Yes, bad things could have happened to her (and did), but WORSE things were in store for her at one of the Gulags.

I my self after getting back from my program did end up doing harder drugs and i was very luckythat i survived what i went through.

Do you not see a problem with this??  Same thing with me.  I did MUCH worse after getting OUT of my program.  What's wrong with this picture???

But it has helped many kids.

I would beg to differ.

And planted a seed about right and wrong

That seed should have been planted by the parents from birth right on through the teen years.  It's not a programs responsibility to teach right from wrong, it's the parent's.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
This kills me.  You ask a question, I answer it and it's all just "luck" that my kid is OK because anything that contradicts your programmed beliefs COULDN'T be right. :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 10:06:00 AM »
On 2005-01-03 07:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"This kills me.  You ask a question, I answer it and it's all just "luck" that my kid is OK because anything that contradicts your programmed beliefs COULDN'T be right. :roll: "

That's exactly it. When something contradicts the program's ideology, they either modify it, or completely erase it, as if they never read/seen it.

Offline A name

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »
On 2005-01-03 06:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'll take a stab at this.  I went through an abusive program years ago......

that was me