Author Topic: I'm Curious  (Read 7163 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
I'm Curious
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »
Yeah, there are other options.

First and foremost, recognize that the way we've set up the law and practical policy wrt juvenile justice is messed up. It pits parents against their own children. Basically, it doesn't matter so much how you feel as a parent about any particular behavior. You MUST enforce the law or take the consequences. You have to play cop/detective in order to save your own skin. That's just plain wrong. It's not the kids' fault and it's not your fault. But if you play along and pretend that everything is your kids' fault, don't be surprised if they resent you for it.

If your kid refuses to go to school, maybe there's some good reason. Or maybe not. Maybe the grass just looks greener on the other side of the fence. Public school is a messed up culture in most districts. So check out other options.

Registering the kid as homeschooled or duel enrolement is not a bad option, so long as the kid is willing to do something with it. Sometimes it's just a matter of letting the kid realize that there are other opitions and the practical side of pursuing them. If they're going to test out and take courses at the local community college, for example, that will require transportation and a part time job to support the transportation. Some kids are motivated enough to do that. Others might just conclude that highschool isn't all that bad after all.

But one thing is for sure; once a kid decides they're all grown and don't have to take directives from their parents any more, there's no turning back. You can either try to be supportive and understanding as they test their wings or you can clip their wings and strong arm them into compliance. But you can't do that w/o risking seirous damage.

If you ask the Government for the right to assemble you deserve to be told no .

--Jim Lesczynski, Manhattan LP chair, on "unorganized" gathering @ Central Park

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »
On 2005-04-09 11:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

"That's the problem!  All these anti program people just want to complain.  They have no alternatives to offer parents that have done all they can, therapy, outpatient, couseling, groundings, restrictions, talking, on and on.  Maybe all these guys should start a program and run it the way they think that would really help the kids and their parents.  Obviously, there's good money in it!  If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.  Perri, you're the best.  Smart  "kid" !"

AHahahahahahaha, lmao !  :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »
"But one thing is for sure; once a kid decides they're all grown and don't have to take directives from their parents any more, there's no turning back. You can either try to be supportive and understanding as they test their wings or you can clip their wings and strong arm them into compliance. But you can't do that w/o risking seirous damage."

problem with that is that it isn't LEGAL!  Kid screws up, has wreck while drinking, parent is sued.  Kid doesn't go to school, parent goes gets fined or goes to jail!  Kid destroys home and property, parent can't kick them out if they are under 17.  The law is set up so that a kid can do whatever they want until they are 18 and the parent pays all the consequences.  If there are other children at home, the parents have to protect the younger children still at home.  Come up with an alternative or just advice parents to do lots of checking into and investigating prior to sending.  Sometimes, there are no alternatives.  The "serious damage" may be being done by the rebellious teenager!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »
On 2005-04-09 11:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

"That's the problem!  All these anti program people just want to complain.  They have no alternatives to offer parents that have done all they can, therapy, outpatient, couseling, groundings, restrictions, talking, on and on.  Maybe all these guys should start a program and run it the way they think that would really help the kids and their parents.  Obviously, there's good money in it!  If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.  Perri, you're the best.  Smart  "kid" !"

Is it that surprising people who experienced the program and considered it a negative experience, suggest NOT sending your child to a program? I love how program parents love to talk about accountability, and blaming oneself for problems. Maybe it's time to take accountability for the way you raised your child, help them yourself, and not pass responsibility to a bunch of unqualified mind engineers. Just a thought.

I love how you quote seminar BS, priceless.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
On 2005-04-09 11:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

""But one thing is for sure; once a kid decides they're all grown and don't have to take directives from their parents any more, there's no turning back. You can either try to be supportive and understanding as they test their wings or you can clip their wings and strong arm them into compliance. But you can't do that w/o risking seirous damage."

problem with that is that it isn't LEGAL!  Kid screws up, has wreck while drinking, parent is sued.  Kid doesn't go to school, parent goes gets fined or goes to jail!  Kid destroys home and property, parent can't kick them out if they are under 17.  The law is set up so that a kid can do whatever they want until they are 18 and the parent pays all the consequences.  If there are other children at home, the parents have to protect the younger children still at home.  Come up with an alternative or just advice parents to do lots of checking into and investigating prior to sending.  Sometimes, there are no alternatives.  The "serious damage" may be being done by the rebellious teenager!

"

I agree, send them away until they are no longer a financial liability. Damn kids.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
I'm Curious
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »

problem with that is that it isn't LEGAL!

Right. Did the kids make these laws? No, they did not. And did the kids set up the new policies that treat innocent flirting or tough talk as serious crime and/or pathology? No, they didn't do that either. Make no mistake about it. Kids ta' day may have more toys, and more freedom in some ways. But they're under immensely more pressure from the authorities than we were. So when they get angy, don't want to play along, can't see the point of it all, is it really dysfunction in the kid? Or is that just a natural, healthy response to a messed up situation?

But when forced to choose between defending and supporting our own kids and towing the party line against them, too many parents wimp out. "The law requires that I turn him in for ______". "Chust doink your chob"?

Butch up! Parenthood never was for wimps. These days, that goes double. We're the grown ups. It's up to us to change the bad laws and policies.

Ministers say that they teach charity. That is natural. They live on hand-outs. All beggars teach that others should give.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
Excuse me, but a financial burden?  Give me a break!  Have you never heard about how much those schools cost?  Most families have to take out a second mortgage!  And change the laws.  Besides voting, how do you see that happening.  Until then you just sit back do nothing, let your rebellious kid threaten and destroy what you do have and terrify your other children?  Isn't it abusive to the other kids not to protect them?

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »
Yeah. Think you could've controlled me? Think I would've listened to you? The only other option was letting me emancipate myself. Bad idea. Very slim to none chance that would happen.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2005, 11:03:00 PM »
Has anyone ever considered just a normal, regular boarding school?

I spent a year and a half at Provo Canyon School, then was allowed to go to a regular boarding school.  There were one or two boarding schools that didn't offer me admission, but most of them were OK with the PCS thing. I think my therapist (who was the only liscensed professional to work with me there) must have told them that I was not actually as messed up as my parents thought I was.

Really, that is where I should have gone from the beginning, as living at home with my parents was hell.  

So I would suggest a parent to is to talk with the kid about boarding school, speak to them AS THOUGH THEY WERE AN ADULT!  because the kid will appreciate that and then take the conversation more seriously.  

Offer the kid the chance to go to boarding school, allow them to research the schools themself, if they would like to, or suggest a few, and allow the child the opportunity to choose one him/herself.

Reason with the kid that they should at least finish high school.  Boarding schools offer many activities that are not available at regular schools (horse-back riding, skiing, ect).  

I found that at boarding school, the teachers and staff treat kids with a lot more respect than public schools do.  A kid who has a problem with authority will respond to that better than they would some public school teacher or administrater scolding and yelling at them.  

Though some kids may not be open to this, some may get in trouble once they get there, but it is for sure worth a shot, and should DEFINATELY, ALWAYS BE TRIED BEFORE "BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION" SCHOOLS AND THE LIKE ARE EVEN CONSIDERED!

Megan

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »
Also, most boarding schools offer financial aid, scholarships, ect... and cost less than most RTC anyway.

Megan

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »
And... most boarding schools will allow a child to see a therapist, or psychiatrist, whatever, either inside the school or out.  

There are a lot of wealthy kids from dysfunctinal families at boarding school, and seeing a shrink is very much "du rigeur"  (poor spelling?) and a sort of a rite of passage.

Megan

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »

""But one thing is for sure; once a kid decides they're all grown and don't have to take directives from their parents any more, there's no turning back. You can either try to be supportive and understanding as they test their wings or you can clip their wings and strong arm them into compliance. But you can't do that w/o risking seirous damage."

"

Um...hello?  One--if the kid is refusing school, you need to find out why.  Usually something's wrong.  Homeschool, private school, boarding school, virtual school, alternative school, homebound tutoring programs---there are a lot of options.  If you've tried them all, the parents *can* report the kid to social services as an incorrigible truant and the family court system will deal with it without further legal liability to the parents.  If you *are* trying and you *do* report the kid after you've tried everything else, they do *not* arrest or fine the parent.

Your child cannot drive a care without the car keys unless he knows how to hotwire the thing.  There are such things as safes--good ones, with real combination locks (not the little dinky school-locker locks).  There is no excuse for a child having the car keys to a car owned by the parents without the parents' consent.  If the child steals a car, hotwired or otherwise, you turn him in to the police.  If he is in juvie, he is no longer stealing cars.  Juvie is less bad than just about all these programs.

If your kid *knows* you will call the police on him if he steals a car or is a habitual truant, for *most* kids that makes them much less likely to do that.  For the kids it doesn't make less likely, maybe juvie will be a learning experience---it's certainly a safer one than many of the programs.

If your kid is doing this stuff because there's something psychiatrically wrong, you treat the problem.  Sometimes, if the kid is immediately dangerous to self or others and can't be stabilized with a short hospitalization stay (it happens), then a *good* RTC can be the only responsible choice.  But that's the *same* criteria we use for involuntarily committing adults.

As far as destroying the house, or stuff in it, if the kid is throwing violent, physically destructive rages on an ongoing basis, that's not normal, that's dangerous.  One of three possibilities: 1. kid is mentally ill, 2. kid is criminal, 3. kid is severely unhappy with parents/family based on some kind of normal reaction to an intense mutual conflict.  If 1., hospitalize and stabilize kid.  If 2., report kid to police and social services and press charges.  If 3., find relative for kid to live with *or* emancipate kid *or* relinquish custody to social services *or* send kid to conventional boarding school.

You can't *kick* an under-17 kid out, but you can, depending on the law where you are, *let* them out---you can assist them to move out and get a job, and become financially independent of you, and emancipate.  This is a good option if there's nothing wrong with the kid except that he hates you for whatever reason.

If a "problem" kid won't home or alternative school, won't emancipate, isn't mentally ill in a way you could treat and stabilize with meds, and is having rages destroying expensive or highly sentimental property, and there are no relatives that will take him---then I have a lot more sympathy when a parent chooses the safest boarding school they can find---lockdown if the kid can't manage not to get expelled from conventional boarding schools.

This is *rarely* the case.  You have kids who cut but aren't habitual truants, who get suspended or expelled but are still accepted in and mostly attending *some* kind of school but maybe making lousy grades.  You have kids who are having sex and using various drugs.  You have kids who have run away a couple of times but come back.  You have kids who will steal the family car if the parents are stone stupid enough to leave the keys lying around.  You have kids that lose their temper and put a fist through the wall or a dent in the car.  You have younger children that you really don't want taking your older kid as an example of what to do.

Mostly some variant of those, usually not all of the above, are what's going on with kids that get sent off.

Those are all awful, but manageable with normal parenting strategies.  Will normal parenting strategies stop the problem shy of the kid turning 18, moving out, and growing up?  No, not usually.

Will normal Mom-Fu *manage* these problems long enough for the kid to grow up?  Almost always.

You think you have it tough?  Go over to CABF and see what parents of bipolar children routinely go through managing seriously mentally ill kids whose medication needs change with their body mass, and the seasons, and who have to be put through trial and error through a lot of meds to find out what works, and have to go off some and on others as side effects develop.

You haven't *seen* tough, you don't *know* tough until you've lived through a full scale bipolar rage.  FOUR to FIVE HOURS of full-on out of control rage.

You think you've dealt with school alternatives?  Go read the "Educational Issues" message board.  I'll lay odds you haven't even scratched the surface of educational alternatives.

I have a friend who was a special ed teacher, and who was the daughter of a special ed teacher.  They dealt with profoundly disabled children.  They dealt with the parents who were bearing up under the load of raising their profoundly disabled children.

My friend's mom's favorite comment when "normal" people started whining about how difficult their lives were, "You people have no excuse."

Maybe you do have a child that is immediately dangerous to self or others and has been through 7 or 8 short term hospitalizations without being stabilized---in which case when we're talking about avoiding programs, NONE of us are talking about you.

*MOST* parents who talk about "having no choice," most of the ones I've personally encountered, anyway, are blowing smoke.

Yes, sometimes you have no choice but to involuntarily commit a relative.

The situations in which you genuinely have no choice but to commit your teenage son or daughter very closely resemble the situations in which you could legally get a judge to order the involuntary commitment of your thirty-something son or daughter.

And, of course, tossing aside "status offenses," criminal misbehavior is criminal misbehavior, and we have the police and the courts to deal with that.  If that's the problem and it's not nitpicky technical BS, then you don't resort to a private prison that treats your kin worse than the government prisons.  You go ahead and make use of the police and courts, that's what they're there for.

You, personally, may not be bitching about "no choice" when your kid is so much less bad than the mentally ill kids whose parents I talk to every day that they would give their eye teeth to have a day that good with your child---you, personally, may not be bitching when you should be down on your knees thankful that your kid is basically healthy.

But I've seen it way too often to take parents word for it when they start talking about "no choice."

I know there are cases where there really is no choice.  

But I've seen enough to ask some hard questions before I believe it when I get down to talking about specific parents and specific kids.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks T, then you aren't talking to me.  Our children are all adopted, with varying degrees of baggage, physical, mental, and emotional.  We never expected it to be easy or normal!  Our kids are our kids because their biologicals prefered drugs and alchol to their children.  The one that causes the most destruction is the healthiest and comes from the least abusive background, but was much older at adoption.  We've done all the alternative school things, counselors, therapists, hospital stays...We've contacted police, social services and attorneys to see what options are available to get him help and to protect our family.  At 16, there really are no options except these type schools.  And yes, I am on my knees daily thanking God for the health of my family.  I certainly know that there are others in much worse situations.  I just really want to find help for a very troubled young man that is loved deeply, but refuses to believe it.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
If you place your kid in one of these places you are almost guaranteed to get back a more fucked up version of what you sent in...

Your kid doesn't need to be humiliated, denigrated, abused, belittled, starved, beaten, neglected, mind-fucked, alienated, disempowered, berated and/or otherwise dehumanized, does he?  

If the answer is "no," then you should not even be CONSIDERING children's prison for him.

Buck up, get tough, and set to work on bettering your child's life yourself - there is nobody who will do it for you.  

You can't abdicate responsibility and hand this kid over to some strangers and reasonably expect that they will "fix" him, do you?  

No, of course you can't.  SO DON'T DO IT.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline FightingIrish

• View Profile
I'm Curious
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »
You know what the sad thing for me is. My dgt's father and new wife. Use cocaine, pot, alcohol hell he's been using since high School he's 50. Maybe he's trying to send a message to his dgt. (not)just out of sight out of mind. He has the money to try and have someone else fix his problems. He wasn't going to go to the Seminars because he already knew what to expect. So I don't know how he was going to get away with at least not going to the Discovery one.It's nothing for them to see the pot tray laying around in their bathroom. It's hard decisions anyway you look at it. Prayer is the only thing that keeps me sane these days.