Author Topic: Radical Idea  (Read 4121 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Radical Idea
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
remember ft laud that we are all broaching this topic with our own experiences.

When I was a "newcomer" I got about 5 hours sleep a night, damn little food and water, had to urinate and defecate almost constantly due to lack of bathroom privileges, and was in constant fear of confrontation. I addition, when my teenage body would go on tilt and start to fall asleep or my mind would wander, immediately pokes in the back and furious hands would go up.

Your experience was different, eh?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
Radical Idea
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2004, 11:45:00 AM »
On 2004-12-23 04:48:00, Ft. Lauderdale wrote:

"I get a kick out of all the sleep deprived comments I hear.  The Seed was not 10am to 10pm from about 1974 on.  

I guess they changed from Korean tactics to maybe

mongolian or surbian or possibly Mexican siesta tactics since everyone was getting alot more sleep :grin: "

Don't know what part of 1974 you were there but I assure you, it was 10 to 10 and then some when I was there from early 1973 through mid-74.  My end experience is vague but I think maybe I quit going , I guess, in the late spring or early summer of 1974.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
Radical Idea
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
On 2004-12-22 08:27:00, cleveland wrote:

"Stripe, although I think there may be something to that, I would think it's an oversimplification.

My thinking would be, that whenever a person is in a stressful, peer pressure, "group think" situation - whether work, family, friends, church, AA, whatever - they are working on a basic, emotional level. Think of gangs, charismatic churches, etc. And think of how powerful our emotions are in these situations - how we were when we were at the Seed, and how strong those memories are. But, I don't think we give up on the higher, critical functions -

if we think back, we remember doubt, we remember critical thoughts - but we chose to give in - "OK, I'll go along because (fill in the blank) I'm a fuckup, they are smarter, I want to graduate, they love me, let's get this over with" - whatever. And, of course, everyone's different. Don't you remember some scary 'super seedlings' who were mindless in their devotion? Note, none of those people ever were on staff. You had to retain your critical thinking to be effective, so you had to be able to make an internal compromise.

That's my thinking. Our analysis, or 'getting into our heads' about it. You and I are both over-educated fools - from a Seed standpoint!

"

Now, let me "relate" a later, post-Seed experience. After the Seed, Iwas still a junior in high school and very much segregated from high schoool life.  I became involved in a "christian" evangelical church. I was, of course, seeking some answers to the emptiness and lonliness that the seed rules and constraints caused, trying to find some straight friends who met that criteria. I became involved in the youth group where it was incumbent upon the members there to keep each other "in the faith"  Only one problem, the youth leader and christian peers determined that I did not have enough faith (??) and so I was asked to withdraw myself as I questioned too much.  :scared:  

I guess my point is, Wally, you shouldn't feel bad about saying anything that makes someone question their expereiences in the Seed- or any other thought/behavior control groups.  How many years went by before I was able to reconcile the kind of rejection I experienced in both places by understanding that those places were were the fucked up individuals or groups, and not me.  I'll tell you - about 30 years.  That's too long.

I think the reason some of us have so much trouble from these programs is because we really are more highly developed or evolved on a conscious level than even we know. Therefore,  there is inherently more internal conflict with the dogma. Contrary to those dogmatic teachings in the Seed or organized evangelical christian religion, knowledge, be it book learning or heart knowledge, is, to quote Martha, "a good thing."

I mean, why else would Seed-lifers need to ask someone else's PERMISSION to get a college education?  :???:   It's because, as my mother has always told me - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  Dangerous for the dogma pushers, that is.  

I think we need to give ourselves permission to question and blessings for being brave enough and smart enough to investigate the exterior authority these dogma-pushers put on us.  Bless all you stuggling angels out there.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Radical Idea
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
I gained 30 to 35 lbs in about 3 months.  I do remember being tired from staying up late talking to my oldcomer or foster brother or whoever. What year did "Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid" come out?  I remember seeing it at a Movie Theater at 8PM and I was so excited that the tme changed so we could make it to a movie?

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Radical Idea
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »
Nope sorry it was "The Sting" same stars.  I looked it up on google -said 1973.  I know I saw it 1974.  I don't know what to say about bathroom situation? Was it the same for you at Broward as St. Pete?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Radical Idea
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »
I wasnt in broward but stripe was.

Could it be that you went to the movies (with permission of course ...time, date and movie) during one of your nights off as an oldcomer?

That sure would clear this up if it was true. I also saw a movie as an oldcomer with my step mom...it was about rasputin...

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
Radical Idea
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »
Greg, that Rasputin movie reference - are you trying to be funny or does it just come naturally to you? :smile:  At first I thought the reference was the Rasputin-like control of the seed  :lol: - then I realized it was a step-mother story - so maybe you were being serious - or maybe you weren't. Hell, I don't know you well enough to tell.  But the seed/Rasputin connetion seems pretty funny to me.
Gotta go.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Radical Idea
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »
heh, actually it was a movie, a BAD movie, about the russian revolution and Rasputin's role in it.  The damn movie came out in 1973 and was about the only movie we could get permission to go see. I sure wish I could remember the name about now....