Author Topic: successfull seed graduates  (Read 11717 times)

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
successfull seed graduates
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
One was original and I think one was extra crispy :grin:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »
That was me, I swear I logged in!

Anyway, one other point Ft Lauderdale.  I have known Ginger for about 5 years. Not only does she intimately "get" what went on in the seed, she brings a very unique prospective to the table.

That is, she was forced into the cult at about age 4 or so, had to help prepare the meals, go to open meeting twice a week, then to dennys until the wee hours, all the while her mom and brothers all deeply impedded in it. Her whole world as a child revolved around the program doctrine and Art Barker worship.  She also lost most of her friends because the little 6 and 7 year olds weren't seedlings (probably were "dry druggies" according to the seed). She then went into treatment with no drug problem and as many of us did and had to REJECT OUR FAMILIES OR GOT REJECTED BY OUR FAMILIES and made seriously hard choices in order to gain freedom and autonomy.

While her experience was much different than yours, it nevertheless tells an important story from her perspective. Her whole family was so immersed in the damn cult it is a wonder she escaped it.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »
:tup:  :lol:

That about sums it up there, the chicken comparison that is!!!

But seriously, there wasn't that much of a difference. The straight was a little more brutal, a little less "loving", but the basic fundamental treatment method was the same, right down to the placement of the chairs, the terminology, the "Raps" the steps, damn near everything.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »
I think her family was involved for maybe 2 years tops.  Now I know nothing about Straight.  I'm guessing 2 years cause I don't know them. In my mind there is so much resentment towards her and her family-that she blames everything on the Seed. All from a little girls point of view.  Her family does sound pretty screwed up (so was mine)And Greg you were a pissed off teenager totally rebellious and ready to fight with anyone in your way and I can't blame you or her. Now this is just my observation. I think I know the type of guy you are and nothing was going to hold you down. I think you were probably a pretty neat kid that needed some guidance and did not get exactly what you needed.  I wish I did know you then.  I'm sorry I didn't.  I did have a completely diffrent experience at the Seed from both of you.  My family benifited greatly from the little experience they had with it.  My dad died 2 years ago - he went to AA and was sober for the past 25 years.  My mom was a complete nut case when I was a kid in and out of nuthouses when she did not get an inheritance from her dad and her step mother the same age as she was walked away with it all.  But I'll tell you what. Sure I'm divorced that didn't work out but I am close as hell with my siblings and love them dearly and their kids as well.  What am I trying to say- I'm sorry things were horrible for you- There was so much good that I saw on a daily basis and I'm not a pollyanna - Actually I was never in any inner circle.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks for being sorry. I genuinely believe that you are sincere.

And you are right, I was a very angry kid, but my anger started in the seed and continued as I struggled against it and the grip it had on my family and on me. Eventually I directed this anger in a very unhealthy direction towards all authority. I also learned a very sick form of confrontational communication there that took me years and years to realize  was unsociable and not accepted in normal society.

You are also right that the seed was very negative for me and my family. But seriously  believe me when I tell you that is all behind me now. The anger is gone and good riddance to it!

I am here for other reasons and one of them is to get the truth out on what really happened, to create a open forum where we can tell our stories. The seed had such a huge impact on me and my family and I knew it was for others as well. Also, when I started understanding the processes I was subject to and the fact that my reactions were not uncommon, I felt others might be able to benefit from that knowledge and from shared discussion on this subject, something that has been sorely lacking for the last 30 years.

This forum rocks, to be sure.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
Talk to ginger about how long her family was "involved" because I really don't have the anser and shouldn't speak for her.

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »
On 2004-12-14 19:29:00, GregFL wrote:

"Talk to ginger about how long her family was "involved" because I really don't have the anser and shouldn't speak for her."

Well, I can't speak for Greg or Ginger, but as her brother, I can address the length of family involvement question:

Family involvement started, I believe, in early '71 with our 2 older brothers and myself. My younger, and Ginger's older sister followed. Oldest brother left pretty quick, next stayed a bit longer, not sure of sister's start/end times. I think I was the last one to attend, probably in '75. All of us were Andrews Ave. and or SR 84

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
Thom, long after you graduated again, Mom was dragging me down to open meetings every Friday night. Then there was the "volunteer" work making sandwiches in the kitchen at Plantation Elementary.

Every Sunday after Sunday school and church, we'd make the drive down to SR-84 and wait at the gate for a couple of Seedlings to come out w/ a couple of bread racks full of bread, mayonaise, mustard, PB&J and lunch meat and load them into the trunk of the car. Sometimes, there would be another "volunteer" parent waiting there too. Then we'd drive over to the elementary school and spend an hour or so assembling the sandwiches, load them back into the trunk and deliver them back to the Seedling at the gate. Then on to either Denny's or Skyline for a late lunch then back home.

I think she thought that a little Seed was a good prophylactic against adolescence and impending druggiedome. And she believed, and believes to this day, all the bullshit "signs of drug addiction", like a need for privacy, mood swings, changes in fashion and music and, above all, any attempt to make friends. GOD forbid I should let slip any desire to be a part of anything except for church and The Seed.

I'm still grateful to good old Don Taws. What a sweet old man he was. When Mom sent me into his office to get chastised for not formally joining the church, he told me it was alright; that he would never want anybody to swear an oath that they didn't believe and that he'd always be there if I wanted to talk. And I found out later that he'd been trying to explain to Mom for awhile that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to force me to attend services and open meetings if I didn't want to.

Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson, 1787

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »
On 2005-02-12 11:06:00, Antigen wrote:

I'm still grateful to good old Don Taws. What a sweet old man he was. When Mom sent me into his office to get chastised for not formally joining the church, he told me it was alright; that he would never want anybody to swear an oath that they didn't believe and that he'd always be there if I wanted to talk. And I found out later that he'd been trying to explain to Mom for awhile that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to force me to attend services and open meetings if I didn't want to.

Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson, 1787

"

And now you know....the rest....of the story.  ::boohoo:: Thanks Ging, for filling in the blanks.

I agree with Don Taws. A person has to make their own spiritual choices. I've never forced my kids to go to church, but I did encourage and model it. Today they attend with us sometimes. I'm a happy camper.

Shannon and I went to see Don (Pastor/Bible Teacher in High School) about 5 years ago. He lives a bit south of Asheville, NC. I tracked him down because I wanted to tell him I was grateful for the fine example of Godly living he modeled when he was my teacher. I wanted him to know that his energy spent trying to get through to me when I was in school was not wasted, and that the 'seeds' he had planted had at last sprouted.

He and his wife had just returned from the funeral of their Daughter, Kiki. (bee sting), he had a cast on his broken ankle, and he was battling cancer. He said 'God is good' a few times that weekend, and meant it. He jumped up Sunday morning and taught his regular Sunday School class. I needed to see what a genuine Christian looks like after a long term journey, and with trials. His enthusiasm for The Lord was even stronger than it had been 25 years earlier! I am glad Shannon went with me to meet them as well.

I strongly disagree, however, with T. Jefferson. I believe a newspaper needs an editor, proof readers and other such government in order to stay on task. ::cheers::  to remove our conscious contact with God. I plead lysdexia! [ This Message was edited by: Thom on 2005-02-12 14:49 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
Thom, you do have a good sense of humor, just like Ginger told me you did.

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »
::burger::  (why the burger?...I don't know, ...I hate to see it just sitting there, going to waste..oh great now I'm hungry again!.....are you going to eat it?)

I think I know where I got off track! I thought the 11th step said 'Sought through beer and medication to remove our conscious contact w/ God...I plead lysdexia![ This Message was edited by: Thom on 2005-02-12 16:26 ]

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
I sense the emoticons don't work in 'signatures' :???: [ This Message was edited by: Thom on 2005-02-12 18:38, but he wasn't happy with it still, so ][ This Message was edited by: Thom on 2005-02-12 18:40 ]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »
No, I don't think they do.

I'm sorry to hear about Kiki. She was such a nice person. Heather used to call Vicki that, so I've thought of her often over the years.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark.  The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.  
--Plato

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »
:nworthy:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2005, 01:48:00 AM »
I've done so much since the seed, but I'm not happy. I never get a day off either. I'm always working and Fornit's Workshop is always trying to hack me. You know sooner or later they could get their poor little eyes giyged out or even get their toungues cut out of their mouths. I consider you all just prisoners in another cult. :smokin: