Author Topic: Anyone know of GOOD places for kids??  (Read 8153 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Anyone know of GOOD places for kids??
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 06:59:00 PM »
On 2004-12-29 20:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"How do you keep a kid at home that would rather stay out all night with friends.  

Bide your tongue and lay a spread for them and their friends at every opportunity. That's one strategy. Pork chops were the #1 favorite in my house when my oldest was going through her throes.

Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right.
--Carl Schurz, German-born U.S. general and U.S. senator

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
My daughter and I were talking today.  She's nineteen and went through her completely horrendous years a few back.  The differences between she and I are astounding.  She was given the freedom and choice (many times to my extreme horror) to find her own way and boundries.  There were times when I wasn't sure she would.  There were physical fights, drug use, failing grades, trouble with the law etc.  Now she understands her own boundries and limitations.  I, however, have spent the better part of the last 25 years trying to find mine.  I didn't have any before going in and after coming out my whole sense of self was completely FUCKED.  I had no idea how to live.  Because most of my surrounding family was still so into the program thinking I was under constant fear of having my kids taken if I didn't tow the program line.  Ever heard someone say 'they have to learn on their own'? or 'you can lead a horse to water....'?  There's a reason why old sayings become old sayings.  My daughter learned in a few years what it's taken me over 25 to learn.  So sad, so much wasted time.

Funny how she and I are growing up together now.  I should have had the chance to do it like everyone else did.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »
Come the millennium,

month 12,

in the home of greatest power,

the village idiot will come forth to
be acclaimed the leader.

Nostradamus

Ginger, is that a real quote? or is someone having fun??  

Priceless!! :smile:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »
Oh, this is a joke. Sorry. :smile: "
[/quote]

All religions bear traces of the fact that they arose during the intellectual immaturity of the human race - before it had learned the obligations to speak the truth. Not one of them makes it the duty of its God to be truthful and understandable in his communications.
--Freidrich Nietzsche, German philosopher

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 08:31:00 PM »
On 2004-12-30 16:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

Funny how she and I are growing up together now. I should have had the chance to do it like everyone else did.

Now that makes me wanna cry. Us too. And I still long for what might have been between myself and my own mother.

You have rights atecedent to all earthly governments; rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the Universe.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/7006/rulebook.html' target='_new'>John Adams

Offline mom2three

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 03:31:00 AM »
When I was 15 my mother and I were having "issues" and she threatened to send me to a catholic boarding school. The issues were no more than bad attitude but she was frustrated and at the end of her rope. She thought perhaps it might do us both some good. I know she suggested it from her heart and thought it might have been the best for me.

At that time however, I took it as rejection. I already had abandonment issues from early on in life. I understand now why things were they were but as a child and a teen, I did not and this was yet one more thing that proved I was unlovable and unworthy.

Things got worse after that and escalated to the point where I began taking over the counter medication both to numb myself and to become ill so that I could be looked after. When my family found out a year or so later, they reacted by crying and wondering why I was doing this to THEM. It made me feel like shit to see my mother crying like that.

They then sent me off to see a psychologist named Herman. Herman was an okay fellow but poorly equipped to deal with someone who was used to saying what she had to say to keep people happy and I soon learned the key words and phrases. Three sessions in, I am pronounced A ok. It was that easy. Now everyone is happy, I am cured, lets get back on with the game.

I know this is long, and I do not say these things out of self pitty or for public sympathy because my story is just what it is, it is in the past.

I only wanted to illustrate what can be going on when you send a teen away. I was only threatened and look what happened. How many of these kids go to the programs, learn what they have to say to get through it and then take several more years learning about self honesty and integrity.

It is very hard for me to speculate on what might have been done to make this situation different. Number one would probably have been if my parents could have got out of their own issues at the time and focused not on what they had done right or wrong and not made it about what was happening to them. I wasnt setting out to hurt them, and if I had been honest enough about my own feelings, I should have found a way to communicate that to them.

I think it taught me that if I go through issues with my own kids like that I had better learn not to react but to really try and listen and to read behind the lines to what my child is really saying. I certainly know that no matter how bad it is, I cannot react in a way that makes them feel responsable for MY feelings in any way. I will cry WITH them, but not because of them.

I dont know, its not easy, but those are just a few thoughts on sending kids (or threatening to send kids) to a program, DONT DO IT.

[ This Message was edited by: mom2three on 2005-01-29 19:22 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »
Antigen, you have to believe that some people really are happy with where they are. Not all the kids are programmed. They really aren't stupid. I was completely comfortable with the surroundings when I was there. Maybe it's not for you and yours, but for some it is and they're happy. It's very obvious you yourself have alot of anger. Is Whitmore the only one you pick on?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 05:21:00 PM »
WWASP schools are NOT good! My oldest had a friend that went to one. Alot of abuse went on when he was there. They shut down several of them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »
Who said "WWASP schools are not good?"

Could it be the Referral Diva who just loves to send kids to Whitmore?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
Do you really consider it "picking on the Whitmore" when someone simply asks a question?

I read this site carefully, and I only see Antigen asking questions, or relating her experiences at Straight.

Asking questions that need to be answered is hardly picking on someone.

That's just my opinion.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »
WWASP schools really are not good. My oldest son's best friend was there for I think a few months. I also knew a parent who sent their son there as well. It was the one in Samoa. It is now closed down due to abuse, I mean REAL abuse. I don't know much about Straight, but I have heard things about them also. No experience here, though. I only know personally kids that went to WWASP and they are now 22 years old. That's all I can honestly contest to, except, of course, hearsay from the internet.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »
On 2005-02-16 14:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Antigen, you have to believe that some people really are happy with where they are. Not all the kids are programmed. They really aren't stupid. I was completely comfortable with the surroundings when I was there. Maybe it's not for you and yours, but for some it is and they're happy. It's very obvious you yourself have alot of anger. Is Whitmore the only one you pick on?"

You're mistaken. I really am not angry w/ the Sudweeks. I feel anguish for the families caught up in this, especially the kids. I see the way they're attacking each other and I know just what that's like. It all looks very similar to what happened in The Seed and Straight, though different in some ways.

They don't seem very happy to me. And the ones who are speaking out w/o the approval of the Sudweeks tell a story that explains why and that makes sense. I'll tell you something else. When my daughter became involved w/ an over controling, abusive young man, she swore up and down that she was happier than she'd ever been and was doing just exactly what she wanted. Thank GOD she came to her senses and got away from him before he went too far. I respect kids. I understand from my own experience how important it is to listen and pay attention to them. But, as adults, we must understand that they don't always know what's best for themselves.

And no, Whitmore is not the only place I "pick on". Just look around these forums. I host all of them. I ask questions about a lot of these places. It just happens that people are talking about Whitmore these days. Fish where the fishin's good.

The time appears to me to have come when it is the duty of all to make their dissent from religion known.
--John Stuart Mill

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.