Author Topic: atlanta straight--current occupations?  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
atlanta straight--current occupations?
« on: September 06, 2002, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm wondering about what Atlanta Straight survivors have ended up doing--finished high school/college, graduate and post-graduate work? Parenting? Entrepreneuring? My memories of individuals are a little fuzzy, but I remember a lot of bright, interesting people that I never really got to know. Just curious
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 10:58:00 PM »
After straight, did 3 years of normal HS, college, partied out, and have had a different career every 3-4 years since. Back to college.  Now finally stable professional.  Well, STABLE is such a subjective word.....
I moved back to TPA after the final escape from ATL.  I would have loved to stay in ATL and get to know the people, but once straight exiles ya.....
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 10:58:00 PM »
After straight, did 3 years of normal HS, college, partied out, and have had a different career every 3-4 years since. Back to college.  Now finally stable professional.  Well, STABLE is such a subjective word.....
I moved back to TPA after the final escape from ATL.  I would have loved to stay in ATL and get to know the people, but once straight exiles ya.....
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2002, 02:42:00 PM »
physician
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2002, 02:54:00 PM »
After Straight I spent time in juvenile hall, then a boy's ranch, and finally the military.  During my 20's I drifted around a bit looking for adventure but also worked various jobs while putting myself through night school.  At the moment I'm a production editor for a publisher of educational materials.  I also play in a couple of bands for the fun of it.  

No kids, and none planned.
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 09:12:00 PM »
After doing my time including staff, I bounced around with many jobs until 1990 when . In college, I started a lawn service business and did quite well. I kick myself in the ass for not keeping it sometime. I do, however, like AC. I am now the UNIX Administrator for a midcap corporation. A computer geek.

Clay

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 09:12:00 AM »
I'm not from Atlanta, but I'm happy to share my current occupation.
After Straight I graduated H.S. (which would probably not be accomplished if I didn't pull myself when I turned 18). After that I went to night school for AutoCAD for 2 semisters and recieved a certificate for it. Couldn't find a job in that field so I bounced around a bit.
First I was a pizza delivery driver just to earn some money, after being held at gunpoint at that job, I quit and found another one, making seat heaters for Cadillacs and the Big 3. I had to leave that job because my ex husband was being such and ass.
I went back to another pizza location and stayed inside, at the same time I found a job working for a cable company being a telemarketer. I lost nearly everything in the divorce, so I had to start to buy a new car, working 2 jobs wasn't easy, but I saved enough money to buy a car that lasted 2 1/2 years.
I am still currently working for the cable company as a collection agent. The most money I've ever made! And have been with the same company for a little over 4 years.

So, things arn't bad and they are looking up, just still trying to pay off all those debts from my crappy marriage.
usan Minns

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 03:32:00 PM »
Ah yes pizza delivery.  I have some great stories from my delivery job.  

1- a guy who would answer the door wearing an open robe with his genitals hanging out.

2- the suburban meth lab people (very scary)

3- the suburban coke dealer guy who gave us a 20 dollar tip every delivery.  

4- pulling up to a house, locking myself out of the car with the keys in the ignition and the engine running, pizza inside the car, pouring rain out, and having to go tell the people my situation.
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 06:23:00 PM »
I party.  
I go into the office to wageslave for a paycheck at times.  
I party.

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2002, 09:46:00 AM »
I have a few stories of my own back in those pizza deliving days.

1. A roach hotel I would deliver too and the lady at the door was so high on drugs she gave me a huge tip for a $10.00 order. (that was sweet!)

2. There is a road near where the store was and it cuts off and the street you need to turn on is on another part of town, it's hard to figure out because the addresses seem like the street is totally straight through, there is a patch of grass and trees where the road cuts off, thought I could jump it with my Festiva.. lol. Turns out it rained that day and my car was stuck in the mud, I had to walk to the nearest house (1 a.m. and not in the best parts of town) I found a guy who had a car and I asked him to take me to where I work and I would give him a bit of money to thank him for his trouble. He kept feeling me up the whole way back and I was lucky I wasn't raped at that point.

3. I am bad at counting change and a few customers would complain it took me too long. One guy said to me "did you graduate High School? you suck at counting change" and slammed the door in my face, I just kept thinking to myself, hey at least his pizza isn't cold!

4. A few times I had to deliver to hotels, I was asked to deliver 10 pizzas, pops and some bread, when I got there, the manager was in the room I was told to go, she kicked people out, there had to be at least 20 people in this room. I was told "since my friends left and were kicked out, I don't want the pizza anymore" so I had to take this whole order back to the store. The workers ate it and I didn't starve for a few weeks.. lol.

I'm sure I can think of more, but it seems as though I wrote quite a bit and don't want to bore anyone.
usan Minns

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2002, 07:06:00 PM »
Well, at 18 I became a mommy.

Let's see, I've started and made a few bucks from a dorknob flyer service when that was the big fad in Broward County; I've driven a roach coach and an ice cream truck; I've carried mail as a casual for the postal service; I've been an answering service operator (which was, by far, the most demanding position even if it never paid much); I started a commercial cleaning service, which helped a bit with the weekly income as well as giving me a few desperately needed hours of solitude each week; I've printed tshirts and stenciled pens and keychains as ad specialties; I've sold everything over the phone from carpet cleaning to funeral arrangements to guilt trips (soliciting donations for charity)  

All of that has been, at times, fun and interesting. But my primary vocation has always been making a home for my kids.
Employment has always been a means to that end. Never made any real commitment to any trade or career. But I've done some interesting and fun things along the way.

My husband and I are now married 15 years, self employed at data management and website hosting (respectively). We have one grown daughter back in Florida who we're trying to lure into moving up to the frozen north with us, one 12yo and one almost 6yo who are both homeschoolers or dopouts, depending on one's views on unschooling.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2002, 06:16:00 PM »
I worked as a kitchen prep cook for a couple of years,waitressed for awhile, then got sucked into restaurant management.
Did that from 19-31, when my son started school...Then I realised my job was to be with him...as much as possible for a single parent...
Got remarried 5 yrs ago, and returned to school, changed my major twice...have one more year to graduate...Will recieve Bachelor's in Early Education K-3.:smile: won't that be the best job!! Hopefully I will get Kindergarten position....
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2002, 01:15:00 AM »
Early Congrats on your degree! I wanted to go to Art School.. but if I didn't screw up and ended up in Straight I probably would have recieved that scholorship my teacher said I would have got. Oh well.. still happy with my life now and couldn't be better :smile:
usan Minns

Offline gduncan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 08:08:00 PM »
I graduated form Straight in Jan '82 and shortly after that I graduated high school then went off to college.  Got the diploma and have had sales jobs in a variety of industries- formal wear, printing, clothing mfr rep, etc.  Currently, I am a Regional Account Manager for a vendor (a division of a major corporation) that supplies public libraries with books and audiovisual materials.  I travel all over the SE and love my job.

Offline marika708

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2003, 09:58:00 PM »
I left Atlanta Straight May '84, I already had my GED.  Took some college courses, nothing that special.  I worked as a hostess at a French restaurant, a makeup artist at Belk, I ran a weight loss center, a "garden Botanika" store, was an area sales manger for Dillard's, an assistant manager for the Disney store and currently work in the customer support area for a brokerage firm.  Being mom is most important to me, but I found I am pretty good at this finance industry stuff, I've been at it for 5 years now.  Almost as long as I was in retail management.  Reminds me of another one of the famous quotes from my mother about how I never have finished anything in my life, high school, straight, college, etc...I've pretty much gotten over caring about what she thinks, it just reminds me of her saying that when I think of the route my life has taken since I left that place.  

Marika

When he [Califano] claims that the voters of Arizona and California did not know what they were voting for when they supported the two initiatives, he reminds me of the way Serbia's President Slobodan Milosevic reacted to recent election results in that country.
-- George Soros -- Sunday, February 2 1997; Page C01 The Washington Post

arika
Atlanta \'83-\'84