Author Topic: to Anon with Law Degree  (Read 20251 times)

Offline marshall

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
Cliff (staff member) once stated that it (our higher power) could be that 'lightbulb' over there. I clearly recall this because Robert (another staff member) later angrily disagreed with that statement. A rare thing in itself, since staff never seemed to disagree on anything of significance.

In fairness, I think cliff's point was that you didn't have to conform to some specific idea of god or diety. That you could believe in allah or yahweh or brahma, etc. The seed wasn't trying to impose a particular religion on members. The seed itself became a sort of defacto religion for many however.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »
The standard line was "God to me is the group", even tho they repeated the AA version, I don't remember anyone saying it was anything other than the group.

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2005, 11:09:00 AM »
And I can see your point, too.  That you don't want to substitute one kind fo magical thinking for another.  Skepticism is very healthly - there's just no certain answers to any of these quesions, are there?
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
Sounds like someone in St. Pete was pretty mean.  I never said those things nor did I hear people tell others that.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »
The light bulb thing- people finally stopped saying that.  That always confused me. :idea:
I remember the first time I heard it all I co0uld think of was "son of sam".

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
How about "you wern't shit on the streets" we never really said it except in jest from what I can remember.   ::hehehmm::

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »
On 2005-01-10 12:23:00, Ft. Lauderdale wrote:

"How about "you wern't shit on the streets" we never really said it except in jest from what I can remember.   ::hehehmm:: "

Funny how different we remember things. I remember one instance, and it was reported in the press, where a little 13 year old girl was stood up and screamed at over and over. One of the things screamed at her was (by the chicks, the guys never said this)..."you weren't shit on the streets. You probably couldn't even fuck yourself with a coke bottle". She was left in tears after being told how worthless and unlovable she was "on the streets". This was not an exception but rather the rule of the day and most kids sat in constant fear, never knowing when their turn to get publically lambasted was coming up.  

That line, the coke bottle one, was used to sexually berate girls constantly. Also, guys would yell at girls "On the streets, I would of just used you for sex. No one could have liked you, you weren't shit on the streets". Or "I knew you on the streets, you weren't shit. You were a punk, a joke, and  everyone laughed at you behind your back".

Ft Lauderdale, this "you weren't shit on the streets"  line was a constant recurring theme but seldom funny. In fact, it was frightening. In additon, It was most often used to berate and humiliate people into submission in front of the group during "come down on you sessions".

Dude, how about doing me a favor. Think back to the "boys Rap" times and then think about how some of these young boys were made to confess their sexuall secrets there, and then were yelled and screamed at in these "boys raps" for the very things they confessed to earlier.

Please comment on this for me. Thanks.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »
Sorry-  I never heard anyone confess sexual secrets in a rap... Nor did I ever hear anyone made fun of for anything sexual.  
The coke bottle thing -I find very repulsive.  
If this went on in St.Pete I'm glad I was never there.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Yes, I remember things like that too. "You couldn't even do it with a coke bottle." "I would have eaten you for breakfast on the streets" "There's nothing pretty about going to prison and getting fucked in the ass..."

Stuff like that DID get said. Usually when someone was way out of line, or when people were trying to scare a newcomer who had an attitude. I do remember people crying.

This kind of thing was pretty rare, though. Usually there was more joking, laughing instead of shame. But the harsh stuff was there...I'm surprised Ft. L. doesn't remember. i bet he's blocked it out, 'cause he's a gentle guy. Even if he was mad at some kid I never remember him saying more than, "oh boy, I'm so mad!"

I definitely got some of that harsh stuff when I was a newcomer.

Sexual secrets - on the one hand you were supposed to tell 'at least one other human being' everything; on the other, if I brought up anything sexual to staff I was told to 'get my head out of the gutter." I don't think we had Boy's Raps when I was there...
ally Gator

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2005, 07:37:00 PM »
in 73, they would several times a week seperate the girls and boys into groups at the far end of the building. Then the sexual talk and confession would go on. Boys would be stood up and berated for being virgins.

This was some of the most terrifying times I had there. We used to do it at the end of the building and several times I thought of running thru the guarded door.

I told a story somewhere on this site about a kid admitting to giving some older guy a blow job. That same night they stood him up in group and came down hard on him and kept bringing this up. He soon disappeared and was never spoken of again.

Offline Fran

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »
I definitely remember the guys saying things like
"I would have used you blah blah blah" to some girls that may have had an attitude or two. Fortunately I do not remember details or particulars...I was just happy that I was never the brunt of the "come downs".
At 400pm I remember the chicks had their raps and the guys had theirs...I do not know what the guys talked about and I honestly don't remember what the chicks talked about.
But I do remember one kid that got reemed out and thinking boy do I feel sorry for him.
The thing I remember the most that I hated was that there were a few oldtimers that seemed to have an ego problem and were stroked by the staff...this one girl her name was Robin basically thought her shit didn't stink ...and her best friend Marcy (I won't put last names) boy did they feel superior and they made me feel inferior. To the point that finally when I stopped going to the oldtimers meetings I felt so free of them and the looks I'd get that made me feel guilty even if I didn't do anything. If I ever ran into them today...I think I would tell them off!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »
Robin passed away a few years ago.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »
Really bad car accident.

Offline Fran

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »
To Anon:

Obviously you must have known the Robin I have mentioned...I am sorry to hear that she passed away.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
to Anon with Law Degree
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2005, 08:06:00 AM »
Robin always reminded me of Fran Dresher "The Nanny" not the way she sounded the way she looked.