Author Topic: 14 Year old Dies at THAYER LEARNING CENTER  (Read 72774 times)

Offline Cruella

• View Profile
14 Year old Dies at THAYER LEARNING CENTER
« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »
My daughter is at Thayer.  She entered 12/04.  I believe she is making the program work for her.  She was lost before the decision was made to enroll her there.  She made bad choices and doors of opportunity were beginning to close.  She is making remarkable changes in her life with the help of Thayer.  I'm sure there will be questions, flaming, etc., with my decision to send her to boot camp, but looking at the alternatives for her, this was the best choice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #376 on: March 15, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
Not here please, Cruella. Seriously. Thayer is a whole lot more frightening than what we had to deal with. I'm asking you respectfully to please not joke around here.

All who doubted or denied would be lost. To live a moral and honest life -- to keep your contracts, to take care of wife and child -- to make a happy home -- to be a good citizen, a patriot, a just and thoughtful man, was simply a respectable way of going to hell.
--

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 16, 2005, 12:10:00 AM »
Cruella, Why on earth would you send your daughter to a program where you know they abuse and medically neglect the kids? For gosh sakes a kid died there what more do you need to know about the place? The boy who had his foot broke with their bare hands isn't enough? Come on lady. My daughter seemed to be flourishing there as well and then I went to check the place out after i heard about Roberto Reyes getting killed and saw that the place was a dungeon. I got a full tour. Yes I even saw one of the four isolation rooms. I had the pleasure of seeing the one the boy passed away in. I almost puked at the sight of it. It was the size of a broom closet. I'm not joking. Not even a bed was in this room. Of course not because a bed wouldn't have fit in this room. Let me tell you lady you're being jaded. This place is a living hell. Your daughter is doing just as well as they want you to think she's doing. If by chance you've talked to her and things seem great well let me tell you that if she tells you otherwise she will be punished severely. Dropped back to bootcamp for lying and manipulating. Believe me you don't know the first thing about how your daughter is doing. My daughter spent 4 months there. She is still having nightmares. Who knows how much counseling she'll need to get over the whole ordeal. And the whole time I believed that everything was peachy. Yeah peachy right up until I heard about the boys death. My gut was telling me for the whole 4 months that things weren't right but my husband kept saying I was just worried. Well I finally flew back there because my gut started screaming after the boy died. Boy did I make the right decision. I wanted to take her out sooner but I didn't know what I would do with her and her behaviors that got her there. Well those behaviors are all gone. She's so scared that she might have to go to another program. I guess you could call her scared strait. I've talked to girls who went throught the whole program and they told me that they faked it, they hated it and now they're rebelling because they resent having their teen age years robbed from them and not being believed about being abused there. I'm sorry but I don't believe that this program could help anybody get a better life. Yes it can help if you're looking for a program to teach your child how to lie and manipulate because they do a wonderful job of that. Well I've said enough for now. If you really do have a daughter at thayer please rethink it. At least go visit your daughter unannounced and demand to talk to her out in the field with no serveylance cameras or recorders. It's the least you can do. Thayer will tell you that she's lying and manipulating you but read the other stories and remember that she doesn't know what others are saying so you'll know she's not lying if she says similar things. Also if you haven't gone to isaccorp yet please go and read about the Reyes lawsuit. It's all true. And for your daughters sake I hope she's white because there's special treatment for kids who aren't and that's not a good thing.www.isaccorp.org is the address and go to the left and scroll down until you come to I think it's information then click on thayer. You'll learn all sorts of insane stuff about the place. Well good luck. I hope you at least go see your daughter. Please feel free to e-mail me back any time. I've got all sorts of information. I interviewed the neighbors, the people in town. I did a lot of research while I was in Missouri and none of it turned out good.My e-mail address is [email protected]

Offline Cruella

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 16, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »
I'm not joking.  I did take the tour.  We took our daughter there ourselves, showed up unannounced and toured the place, before making the final decision to enroll her there.  Sure it's hard, it's military boot camp.

I thank you for the information you've provided and will think about it.  I've done a lot of research about this place before deciding on it over places that were similar, this one seemed to fit our daughter better.  I will email you.[ This Message was edited by: Cruella on 2005-03-16 08:01 ]

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »
Of course all the things they show you before you enroll your child are peachy.  They were the same way when I enrolled my child.  I find it odd that they let you tour the facilities unannounced though.  When I arrived "unannounced" they refused me access to the building!  My son was only there one week and, like Pia above, my "gut" was telling me something wasn't right, so one week after enrolling him I arrived unannounced to pick him up.  I was in SHOCK at what I saw!  He is ankle was so swollen you couldn't see where the ankle started and stopped.  After a trip to the emergency room, it was determined the ankle was fractured.  This occurred on his first day there at the hands of a drill seargant and, despite numerous requests to see a doctor, he was denied medical treatment.  Furthermore, he was forced to exercise 18 hours a day on the fractured ankle.  He had a cough so horrible, it was just unreal.  He had major bronchitis, borderline pnemonia.  Again, he requested to see a doctor for this the one week he was there, but again, was denied.  He had soooo many cuts and bruises on his body it was unbelievable.  The cause?  Being hog-tied to another student and dragged through the showers. The reason for this punishment?  He wet his pants after being refused bathroom breaks repeatedly.

Does that sound like the way to help your child?  Sure, if you want them "beat into submission" they will listen to you.  But, we as parents arent allowed to beat our children into submission (not that I ever would), because it is against the law.  So, what gives them the right to do so.  And to make it even worse, YOU ARE PAYING THEM TO ABUSE AND NEGLECT YOUR CHILD.

I received my son's first letter home after I had already picked him and, if I hadn't picked him up when I did, by reading the letter he wrote, it seemed this place was a "God send" for him.  It was a very glowing and positive letter.  The clincher?  Ask him how many times he was forced to rewrite it until it was to the liking of his family rep.  SIX TIMES!  My son had to rewrite his letter home SIX TIMES, because each time he gave them the letter it obtained forbidden information. After the fifth letter he was "coached" on what to write because they were getting "frustrated" with the fact that he kept putting negative things about the program into his letter.  Care to know what some of the negative things in the letter were?  Just one example, Mom, my chest hurts so bad I can't breath, and I really need to see a doctor.  But, that is not acceptable to the staff, so they made him rewrite it, over and over, and over, and over and over and over!

So yes, when your daughter writes you and tells you how great it is, those are not her words, they are the coached words of your family rep.  When you talk to her on thr phone, there is someone standing right next to her on the same line listening to every word exchanged between the two of you.  And, your daugther knows, especially after having been there for 3 months, that if she says anything derogatory about the program, she will pay the price!

If you have any love at all for your daugther, show up there NOW, UNANNOUNCED and DEMAND to see your daugther out of their presence.  If she tells you the same things you have read on this board they must be true, because she would never have met any of the other students you hear about on here!

Offline Mrs. Doubtfire

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 16, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
Pia ... Sign in with your screen name so we can send you Private Messages - you keep logging on as anonymous.

But keep writing girl... keep writing.  We must keep this thread open for others to find.

As for Cruella - she sounds like someone else we know who is/was in denial. When the facts are smacking you in the face; when the whole world is telling you "listen to your heart, your gut", be prudent in your decisions because all those other people are just crazy and disgruntled - then there is nothing you can do or say if they are that bloody stubborn.

You fight the fights you can win and we will always lose some, but look at how many were saved and that we will save in the future.  

Their children will hopefully "escape" from that dungeon and perhaps they might find this bulletin board. If they have a 4th grade education they can read and they will see that information regarding the truth about Thayer- with facts and witnesses - was available to their parents/guardians and it wasn't heeded.  

What a pathetic commentary on those parents who cut and run, and how very sad for their children to know that they were not a priority to the people who should love them the most.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 16, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
No, I think Cruella is a troll; a prank. Would a real program parent pick the name Cruella?

Interesting, though, that you folks who know personally and/or were program parents can't tell the difference right off the bat isn't it? But I don't think you folks are in the mood to laugh about this just now. And I'm pretty certain that Cruella hasn't read up on just how frightening the Thayer people are.

The lust for power, for dominating others, inflames the heart more than any other passion
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140440607/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Tacitus

Offline Cruella

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 16, 2005, 04:09:00 PM »
It is interesting that you think me as a troll because of my user name.  It's (just) a name that I've been using online for years.

It's true that my daughter is in Thayer, and only a handful of people think as you do on the site.  So be it.  I believe that I have made the best decision for my child, as you probably don't understand the hell she has put us through the past year.  But thinking as you do, you will add a rebuttal.

The main reason I am here speaking is that when I did my research many months ago, I didn't find anything against Thayer, only great things.  I made many phone calls to Thayer and other like places, I chose Thayer as I have friends whose children went through it and gave great references.  Also, I do know that there have been at least 4 new girls enrolled since January.  So your words against programs haven't reached the majority of the people needing help for defiant teenagers.

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 16, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
On 2005-03-16 11:12:00, Antigen wrote:

"No, I think Cruella is a troll; a prank. Would a real program parent pick the name Cruella?

Interesting, though, that you folks who know personally and/or were program parents can't tell the difference right off the bat isn't it? But I don't think you folks are in the mood to laugh about this just now. And I'm pretty certain that Cruella hasn't read up on just how frightening the Thayer people are.

The lust for power, for dominating others, inflames the heart more than any other passion
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140440607/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Tacitus

"

funny, I was thinking the same thing....i just figured this person was a mole from thayer.  isnt cruella the evil woman in 101 dalmations?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 16, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »
On 2005-03-16 15:15:00, tlcrescue wrote:

. isnt cruella the evil woman in 101 dalmations?

Indeed, she is. Cruella DeVille. But I'm starting to wonder if I was mistaken. I just assumed this was BSarro. But, looking more closely, I don't think so.

The more BORING a child is, the more the parents,
when showing off the child, receive adulation for
being GOOD PARENTS -- because they have a TAME
CHILD-CREATURE in their house.
--Frank Zappa

Offline ExSgtRocha

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 16, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »
I was just wondering if your child put you through so much the last year, did you ever stop to think what you might have done in her earlier years or present that might have contributed to her attitude.

Maybe you need to look at yourself in the mirror and see if maybe there is something you need to change instead of sending your child off to be "corrected" by someone totally unqualified.

Offline ExSgtRocha

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 16, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »
I was just wondering if your child put you through so much the last year, did you ever stop to think what you might have done in her earlier years or present that might have contributed to her attitude.

Maybe you need to look at yourself in the mirror and see if maybe there is something you need to change instead of sending your child off to be "corrected" by someone totally unqualified.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 16, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
I was just wondering how you went about your research. Did you bother to call DHS in Missouri? I mean, you must have come across some info to raise doubts.

Did you check ISAC? http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsnz.html#thayer

Or did you just take references from the Bundys and call it good enough?

BTW, I'm still not sure you're not kidding. I mean seriously! After all the disturbing detalis surrounding the death of Roberto Reyes, wouldn't anyone intelligent enough to even locate the send button on the forum have already gotten their kid out of there?

The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization.
--Sigmund Freud

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 17, 2005, 02:23:00 AM »
This is Pia and I can't figure out how to sign in with my screen name. I do have one but I need help using it. It's so easy to just reply but I'll try to go in under my screen name.Pia

Offline TLCNOMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 17, 2005, 02:31:00 AM »
O.k I've figured it out. That was so easy I feel stupid. Well I am when it comes to computers but I'm learning O.K. Now we can have private chats I'll just have to figure out how to access them. I'm really not a dummy It's just this whole computer thing got me all confused. Well I'm learning more everyday. So if you want contact me. Pia