Author Topic: 14 Year old Dies at THAYER LEARNING CENTER  (Read 71595 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
14 Year old Dies at THAYER LEARNING CENTER
« Reply #420 on: April 21, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
Posted on Thu, Apr 21, 2005

Boot camp sues ex-employee
By Steve Rock The Kansas City Star

FIRST GLANCE
Thayer Learning Center said in its lawsuit that Timothy J Rocha breached an employee agreement and has attempted to steer customers and potential customers away from the boot camp.

A northwest Missouri boot camp has sued one of its most vocal critics, saying a former employee has cused "irreparable harm" and asking for more than $75,000.00 in damages.

Thayer Learning Center, a military-type home for about 100 troubled teens in Kidder, Mo., filed a lawsuit last week in Caldwell County Circuit Court against Timothy J Rocha os St. Joseph.  Rocha, who made $9.00 an hour as a "sergeant," worked at Thayer from Aug. 28, 2004 until he was fired less than two weeks later.

In the lawsuit, Thayer said Rocha breached a signed employment agreement that stated he would not "divert, take away... or intervene with any present or future customer."  Thayer alleges that Rocha has contacted customers and attempted - sometimes successfully - to steer them away from Thayer and that he appears to be using contact information that was unlawfully obtained.  It also says Rocha "successfully diverted away potential customers" but doesn't specify how.

Thayer also asked the court to grant a temporary restraining order that would prohibit Rocha from contacting former, existing or potential clients.

Joseph Elliott, a St. Joseph attorney for Rocha, said Wednesday that he had no comment.  Attorneys for Thayer could not be reached.

According to the lawsuit, Thayer "has experience a significant decrease in revenues" because of Rocha's actions.  An accompanying plaintiff's document pegs those losses in the "thousands of dollars" and says the school "is in danger of losing more."

Rocha has been quoted in various news outlets, including The Kansas City Star, about his experience at Thayer.  In a Dec. 19 report in The Star, he recalled his brief employment at Thayer and said he was stunned by what he thought were abusive practices.

"By the second day," he said at the time, "I was telling my wife, 'This isn't right.'"

He asked some students for their parents' names and phone numbers, an action that he said led to his firing.  He called some of those parents and encouraged them to remove their children from Thayer.

Rocha filed two reports of alleged child abuse with CAldwell County sheriff's office in September, noting in one that a student had been placed in "half a chokehold" and that a Thayer employee then sat on the students's legs.

Thayer officials have called allegations of child abuse "ludicrous and false."

Rocha is also listed as a witness in a recent state investigative report, which was released to The Star last week.  The investigation was conducted at the request of the Caldwell County sheriff's office after a 15-year-old student died in November.  The final report contains documents sent from Thayer to the parent of a Thayer student, who in turn sent them to Rocha.

The documents suggest that the parent had contact with Rocha before removing her son from Thayer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline terrified_mother

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 25, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
Tim Rocha is a hero.  An everyday, man next door, hero.  He saw an enormous wrong and has tried to make it right.  The legal attack on him will not make the truth go away.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #422 on: April 25, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
On 2005-04-21 16:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

According to the lawsuit, Thayer "has experience a significant decrease in revenues" because of Rocha's actions.

Never mind the dead kid, the lawsuit and criminal investigation. No, those aren't the problem. Why, we kill kids all the time and still the industry grows and grows. Must be this one disgruntled employee.  :roll:

I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.
--Albert Einstein, German-born American physicist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 25, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
On 2005-04-21 16:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

Rocha is also listed as a witness in a recent state investigative report, which was released to The Star last week.

Can you say "wittness tampering?" Sure! I knew ya' could! :rofl:

science is the record of dead religions.
--Oscar Wilde

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 01, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »
Parents, staff denounce Thayer Learning Center

By Ray Scherer
[email protected]
St. Joseph News Press

May 1, 2005

Three weeks after its release, a state report on the death of a teen boot camp cadet continues to spawn reaction among parents and former workers.

The Missouri Department of Social Services investigation concluded that Thayer Learning Center's failure to offer medical care to
15-year-old Roberto Reyes contributed to his death -most likely from a brown recluse spider bite - in November Roberto's parents, Gracia and Victor Reyes, subsequently filed a wtrong-ful death lawsuit against the camp.  

Meanwhile, Caldwell County Prosecutor Jason Kanoy has yet to decide whether he will file charges based on the report's findings.  Mr. Kanoy was out of his courthouse office last week and unavailable for comment.  

An initial status review for the lawsuit is set for Wednesday morning before Buchanan County Circuit Court Judge Weldon Judah.  It's estimated that a jury trial would last two weeks.

In the interim, two more parents and a former worker contacted by the News-Press offered personal stories on their experiences with Thayer.  Their versions of what happened at the camp add to accounts of physical abuse and
medial negligence reviewed in the Reyes' report.

Karen Avera of Texas decided to pull her son, Ryan, out of Thayer after only one week in January.  News of Roberto's death contributed to her decision.

Her arrival at the camp to retrieve Ryan worried her even more.  He was covered in cuts and bruises and was hopping on one foot, she said.  His face had a sunken appearance and he had lost 10 to 15 pounds in his brief saty.

"I was completely shocked at what I saw," Ms. Avera said.  "He looked so bad.  As far as he knew he was going to a boarding school."

Officials refused to offer medical treatment for a fractured left ankle, she said.  She also alleged that at one point, Ryan was tied to another student and dragged across a shower floor.

Ms. Avera said he witnessed other students being abused.  An example of abuse she cited were students being force fed.

"There was one other child there who was getting it even worse than my son was," she said.

Sue Warner of Connecticut became so concerned and uncomfortable that she decided to remoce her son, Justin.  Justin, who stayed at Thayer for four months, came down with a high fever at one point.  He wasn't taken to see a docotr and staff only gave Tylenol to help alleviate the condition, she said.

"He was medically neglected," Ms. Warner said.

Besides being ill for a week, Justin was forced to endure manatory exercise drills despite soreness.

"They continued to make him run, even though his knees hurt him," Ms Warner said.

The abuse wasn't limited to physical means, she said.

"One of the sergeants was calling my son a gang member," Ms. Warner said.

In another incident, Justin was unsuccessful in disaproving a staff claim that he stole muffins.

Ms. Warner admitted being naive at first kept her from becoming alarmed about Thayer.  Now,  she offers support to other parents of ex-students.

One of the school's former drill sergeants, Ed Black, said staff would occasionally resort to certain tactics to punish all cadets for one person's mistake.

"It was a common practice to deprive the children of sleep," Mr. Black said.  "They would routinely wake them up in the middle of the night and have what they called a 'smoke session' as a way of punishment...  During a smoke session, they would have the children doing push-ups, mountain climbers, eight-counts, sit-ups, leg lifts or running.  Some of the children ran until they fell out.  At that time, the drill instructor would get in the cadet's face and start yelling at them to stop the theatrics and get up and exercise."

No matter what, Mr. Black said, "the drill instructors wanted the sergeants to yell at the cadets all the time.  But they also wanted you to praise them while they were being punished."  

The smoke sessions could last as long as three to four hours, Mr. Black said.  

State investigators said Roberto was ordered to wear a 20-pound sandbag around his neck as punishment for not participating in exercises.

"Everybody thought he was just lazy," one drill sergeant said in an interview conducted by a state social services team.

Willa Bundy, one of Thayer's owners, told investigators that Roberto would encourage disobedience amoung other students.

Offline finlyrite

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 01, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »
State report critical of boot camp over California teen's death

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A state report on the death last year of a California teenager at a northwest Missouri boot camp found fault with access to medical care there and said records may have been falsified.

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Department had asked the Missouri Department of Social Services to investigate the November death of Roberto Reyes, 15, of Santa Rosa, Calif. The youth died at the Thayer Learning Center in Kidder, less than two weeks after arriving there. An autopsy cited complications from rhabdomyolysis, a breakdown of muscle fibers, and said the condition was probably due to a spider or insect bite.

In a wrongful death lawsuit filed in February in Buchanan County Circuit Court, the boy's parents alleged that he was subjected to physical exertion and abuse that caused or contributed to his death. Reyes' parents also claim their son would have lived had he received competent and timely medical care.

The state report was given last week to Jason Canoy, the Caldwell County prosecutor, who released it to The Kansas City Star. Canoy said he hadn't decided whether he would take any action.

"There are some alarming parts about it," he said of the 275-page report. "But I have not made a decision as to who I would file charges on or if I would file charges at all."

The state team that investigated said the boot camp apparently "failed ... to provide access to appropriate medical evaluation and/or treatment." Further, it said, "interviews and evidence also suggest significant contradictions and possible deliberate falsification of written records."

Ed Proctor, an attorney for Thayer, was unavailable for comment Thursday, but has told The Star that "every child at Thayer has immediate access to medical care at any time."

In interviews excerpted in the state report, owners John and Willa Bundy, along with other people connected with the camp, said they didn't know or think the boy was sick before he died. Willa Bundy also said she hadn't read the records in question until she was interviewed by a state investigator in late February.

At least 10 people identified as Thayer employees gave the state investigators descriptions of the boy, one saying he appeared lazy, another saying his attitude was bad. Some said he struggled to keep up with the rigorous exercise, that he complained of sore muscles, needed assistance walking and at times used others as "a crutch."

At least four said they never saw or were told anything to suggest Roberto was sick. But one drill sergeant said she eventually came to think he might be sick, and at some point relayed her opinion to Dorothy Steele, identified in the report as the facility's medical officer. The report said Steele, also the general manager of the kitchen facilities, is not a registered nurse and that an EMT license that she had expired in 2003.

Steele told investigators she treated Reyes on Nov. 1 for blisters on his feet. Besides sore arm and leg muscles, had no other medical complaints, she said.

Former employee Sarah Mackey, who resigned in December, told investigators her duties included filing daily "shift notes" about students and activities. The report said that after Roberto died, she read notes from the days leading up to his death and "stated that every day the log sheets indicated that Roberto was getting worse and worse and worse."

Mackey told the investigators that Willa Bundy later took files of the shift notes, asked for 10 blank forms and went into her office. When Mackey later reviewed faxed copies of shift notes sent to the state by an attorney for the boot camp, she "stated they were inaccurate and incomplete, compared to the shift notes she had seen and read in the office."

Offline finlyrite

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 01, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
The Bundy's blame everyone else for anything negative.  I should have realized that when I saw the contract - they are not responsible for anything ANY employee does - that should have been my red flag.  Now, they want to blame an ex-employee - not the fact they ARE NEGLIGENT TO THE CHILDREN THAT THEIR PARENTS ARE PAYING $4,000 A MONTH TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  PLEASE PARENTS - DO YOUR HOMEWORK - I HAVE HAD TO LIVE WITH MY MISTAKE OF SENDING MY SON TO THAYER.

Offline finlyrite

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2005, 08:04:00 PM »
Over a year ago, there was much postings both favorable (by Mrs. Bundy herself) and upon researching her statements and finding incorrect or an out and lie - whatever your preference - the entire site disappeared before my eyes -- while John Bundy was on the telephone conversing about my complaints with the program - and blatantly stated the ezboard web site was gone --his attorney had it removed.   There you go folkes - if you are TRULY professional and credible - why would you "brag" that the web postings have been deleted?

Offline finlyrite

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 01, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »
Tim Rocha stepped up and did what the Attorney General should have done over a year ago.   If the Attorney General was proactive in their responsiblity to the State of Missiouri and the taxpayers of these United States, Reyes may be alive today!!!!  Believe me...the State of MO has received allegations of neglect at a minimum.  It will now be interesting to see if the DA steps up to file criminal charges of neglect.  There are witness statements as Willa Bundy attempting to falsification of logs.  Yea, Willa Bundy told me she had pages and pages of documents my son had written about me and when I asked why I was not given copies of those documents, Willa Bundy told me they were "confidential"--but I knew it was another of her bold face lies and considered the source.  Now I understand she has stated that the records are destroyed when a cadet leaves Thayer.  Which is it?  Is the State of Missouri going to continue to look the other way, even after the death of a child.  Pretty bad when us naive parents PAY someone to neglect your child to the point the child dies!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 25, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
i was a cadet not to long a go and i feed the 14 year old kid who died i was right by his side every time i tried to help or feed him they would pull me away from him. i was the one who washed him and feed him he was a large child and he continued to fall and could not stand or even sit up it was very bad but ill atmit they did not bet him the pick him up and he fell on his face every time the brewses where from himself and thats the truth.at thayer they show no mercy at all they do not kare.
   anther problem i had was that the female staff was a set up as soon as you made a move they would fill charges on you but they advertice them selfs and they were extremly tight close and trie to hide look out they are bad news

ronald spaulding

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 25, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »
Welcome Ronald,
  Thanks for posting. Can you explain how Roberto got those drag marks on his feet? News reports say they looked like drag marks. I would imagine that, in the context of what goes on day-to-day at Thayer, you might not consider dragging someone in a way that would scrape the skin off their feet to be the same as beating. But it really is.

In God's wildness lies the hope of the world x the great fresh unblighted, unredeemed wilderness. The galling harness of civilization drops off, and wounds heal ere we are aware.
-- John Muir

Offline eyecandy

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/7001260
« Reply #431 on: August 04, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
On 2005-05-25 10:38:00, Antigen wrote:

"Welcome Ronald,

Thanks for posting. Can you explain how Roberto got those drag marks on his feet? News reports say they looked like drag marks. I would imagine that, in the context of what goes on day-to-day at Thayer, you might not consider dragging someone in a way that would scrape the skin off their feet to be the same as beating. But it really is.

In God's wildness lies the hope of the world x the great fresh unblighted, unredeemed wilderness. The galling harness of civilization drops off, and wounds heal ere we are aware.
-- John Muir

"

i know why he had drag marks, male jr staff some drill sgts such as caro n vaughan n sperry and also felllow bootcamp cadets "had" to drag reyes everywhere becuase he was too heavy to carry and sgt pikula said he had to be present at all activities and fully participating beacuse otherwise the whole team would have to pay, as it is the were always getting smoked for reyes because he was unwilling or unable to participate and cooperate, i was in jr staff though female jr staff at the time and i wasnt supposed to pay attention to him buteverything happening to him caught my eye and i convinced some of the male sgts to tell me everything they knew about this cadet. as in why was he here, how come sgt pikula was so intent on breaking him? what was it he was refusing to do? how come he was having so many sgts in his face all the time?what the sgt told me is that this cadet, (reyes) was always falling down, he could barely stand and while in the shower he pooped all over himself then fell in it and just lay there, the team leader had to finish showering him, he told me that he would sit on the toilet and just zone out for like 45 minutes, forget he was even on the toilet. he would get taken down all the time, sgt pikula was just a little bit bigger then him and she would take him down mashing his face in the muddy sand while she sat on top of him. i remember the day he died, see i was in jr staff and therefore could come and go without supervision and as i was crossing the catwalk in the male's building i looked down because there was a lot of pounding and yelling which i didnt expect since all of male bootcamp was outsidee. down in the bay on the bottom left hand corner looking down from the chow hall was roberto reyes, he was laying on his stomach in the middle of the room and he had no socks on, there was an untouched plate of food about 3 feet away from him and sgt pikula ((a female drill sgt who was director of bootcamp)) and ms dorothy ((director over kitchen)) was banging on the walls of the iso bay and yelling at him saying "we're never gunna leave you alone,... you're never gunna get out of here... we're going to be with you for the rest of your life,... you're never going to go home... you're here forever..." in loud singsong voices... the kind they like to irritate uncooperative children with so they break down and cry, they like tears though when you cry you get punished, like i did when i was there and my cousin passed away. well, sure enough, their taunts came true, roberto really was there for the rest of his life and he never did get to leave

In any civilized society, it is every citizen's responsibility to obey just laws.  But at the same time, it is every citizen's responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
--Martin Luther King

Offline jr staff barekman

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 10, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »
no that was not related to tlc at all
y email address is [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile