Author Topic: i feel like im going crazy  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i feel like im going crazy
« on: November 03, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »
i am a graduate of AARC.  I recently started using again.  Nothing bad has happend to me and i dont feel like if i continue on this path i will not die.  The thing that bothers me is the thoughts that go through my head.  i have a huge battle everyday about what will  happen if people find out im using again.  I still see AARC people and i pretned to be sober around them.  I have to pretend to my parents to because i dont want to loose them in my life. ever since i graduated my life has been so dull.  i cant hang out with my old freinds any more because i feel guilty but i cant hang out with AAtc people because i dont really like them either. now all i feel is really lonely. my life was going alright before i got sent to aarc and now i have to start my whole life all over again.  i feel like i have been robed of my personality.  i feel depressed because i dont know what is right and wrong for me anymore.  i used to be fun and exciting now i just feel like a bore.  i dont really have any friend or social skills anymore either.
i wish i had never been sent there so that i wouldnt fell so lost right now.  i now lots of you that support aarc are thinking that i feel this way because ive been using again.  but i dont think thats true.  ive only drank a few times and used a couple so its not like im doin it compulsivley.  its not my main focus and im not high all the time.  but i do feel like shit all the time.  i feel like i have to live a double life because of aarc and because i want to be happy but i just dont know how to do it anymore.
im not angry with aarc because i did meet some good people there but i do feel sad for what i feel i am missing in life because aarc took something from me that i can never get back. my sense of idividuality and personality is gone.
its just so sad i think because ive seen it happen to so many people.
i never thought of sucide before until now.  its the first thing i think of when i get up and the last thing i think of before i go to sleep.  i never felt this way before aarc.
is there anyone out there that can help, i feel like im going crazy and i feel so alone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »
No, I think you're probably just going sane.

Reading your words reminds me very much of the way I felt when I was about 15. My family had been involved with The Seed (a very early Synanon based program from which Straight, Kids and eventually AARC came) for nearly 10 years. I was well into adolescence, with all the attending anxieties, pressures and desires and just reached a breaking point. I could no longer pretend that my mother's approval (based nearly entirely on Program philosophy) was enough.

But I didn't dare let on that I actually wanted friendship and a place w/ my (allegedly drug addled) peers. So I ran, believing that I could strike out on my own and just never let myself be found till the magical day of my 18th birthday.

If I had it to do over again, I would have talked w/ some of the more reasonable adults in my life and sought a more sensible solution. I found out later that some of my extended family knew how sad and lonely I was and were already talking about how they might help me.

That would be my best advice to you. Spend some time thinking about who in your life you can trust and confide in and see if they have any guidance for you. Don't make any really drastic moves. Just, maybe, see if you can find a way to ease out from under the influence of AARC and your parents gradually; enough to satisfy your emotional needs without losing them entirely.

If you want to get together in any exclusive situation and have people love you, fine- but to hang all this desperate sociology on the idea of The Cloud-Guy who has The Big Book, who knows if you've been bad or good- and CARES about any of it- to hang it all on that, folks, is the chimpanzee part of the brain working.
--Frank Zappa, American musician

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
Welcome to life! Life is hard, in fact, much of life is suffering. I don't blame you or fault you for using - the natural state of the drug addict is to use. I can think of nothing harder for an adolescent than being sober. It is strange though that the AARC graduates that I see who have been going to meetings are having a blast. they go out, and do some of the wierdest shit I have ever heard of. I am far beyond my life in treatment, and yes, it took a while to get adjusted to the real world. I needed to seek out sober people who had what I wanted - good careers, family life, fun, and I gravitated towards them, and they helped me. Using again has crossed my mind many times, especially when times are tough. But I have a support network of people in recovery who help me through those tough times. I wish you luck.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 12:31:00 AM »
On 2004-11-03 13:42:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Welcome to life! Life is hard, in fact, much of life is suffering. I don't blame you or fault you for using - the natural state of the drug addict is to use. I can think of nothing harder for an adolescent than being sober. It is strange though that the AARC graduates that I see who have been going to meetings are having a blast. they go out, and do some of the wierdest shit I have ever heard of. I am far beyond my life in treatment, and yes, it took a while to get adjusted to the real world. I needed to seek out sober people who had what I wanted - good careers, family life, fun, and I gravitated towards them, and they helped me. Using again has crossed my mind many times, especially when times are tough. But I have a support network of people in recovery who help me through those tough times. I wish you luck."

I don't think this poster has anything to offer you that will help.  I think you will gain a lot more from listening to Antigen who is one of the wisest survivors of abusive treatment that I have seen.  What's wrong with the the quote here is the assumptions that it is based on as well as the moralizing undertones.  It sounds to me as though you are depressed and reaching out for help.  But also your programming is making you feel guilty about a) your feelings of depression and b) what you may be identifying as a seemingly irresistable urge to "use".  Well, I do not know what you want to "use"  but I also would not jump to a conclusion that your desire to "use" means you are an addict either.  My daughter has never been to any treatment facility like AARC, has "used" a variety of drugs, has since earned a degree in psychology and is working with young people in downtown Vancouver who have problems  similar to yours or probably even worse.  She has successfully counselled  kids who have misused such drugs as crystal meth and has given evidence in court supporting someone who was "using" an illegal substance.  She is a staunch advocate for "harm reduction" and it works.  If you want to register, you can send me a private message and I will provide my daughter's e-mail and maybe  you can talk to her.  
If you don't want to take that risk, that's fine.  However, I would encourage you to listen to Antigen's messages.  Maybe read some of her other four thousand odd posts on this board.  she has lots she is giving, every day.  Good luck!
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 01:35:00 AM »
Anonymous - Thank you for posting. I'd like to say that for someone who is going crazy, your post is very sensible and diplomatic. I'd also like to say that I have no idea if you are an addict or an alcoholic, or could be, or was. You're the only person here who knows that, so what you chose to put in your body is up to you.

Even though you may have only dabbled in a way that may not have caused you harm, you're now realistically living with a secret that would most likely change the way that most people in your life feel about you. You've done something that you've just spent a long time learning is the ultimate evil. Why wouldn't you feel crazy?

It's a horrible thought that you should loose your parents because of this. I think that Antigen's advice to you is valuable for this subject. Can you tell your parents that adjusting back to life outside of AARC is hard and you need them to stay connected with you?

As for feeling like a bore, that something is missing, having no social skills.... I can completely understand this and have spent many years trying to fully overcome it. When you said that something was missing, it took me a long time to understand that the hardest part about overcoming AARC for me was regaining the passion for life again, along with regaining my strength in never caring what people had thought about me, and always having faith that what was in my heart was the right thing. That had been taken and felt impossible to rebuild.

In AARC I was taught that anger is a defect. Lust is a defect. To disagree, question, or debate is "fighting". To day dream, be creative, or relax was an "escape mechanism". Also almost everything I'd enjoyed was no longer allowed incase I have too much fun and then am "escaping". Connecting was "cliquing". We were only allowed to feel "hurt", "powerless", or "serene". That doesn't leave a lot of the human brain left, does it? Something feels missing? Maybe it's the rest of you.

It also took a while to learn how to have silence, when anything other than being in raps, 1 on 1's, or on a feild trip was "in your head". And learning how to deal with feelings without having to call someone up and "spill" to them  can be a rough hurdle. Spilling and confessing all the time made it hard for me to understand when it was okay for me just to handle something on my own, rationally.

As for social skills... They'll come. My first 2 tips if you haven't learned them already: STOP HUGGING! And when someone asks you how you are today, all that they want to here is "Fine. Yourself?"

I know that you are probably sick of the idea of therapists, but what if you found someone who understood what you went through? Most therapists/psychologists will. If I didn't have someone there to talk to when I got out, I don't know what I would have done. My friends were overwhelmed when I tried to explain it to them. They were overwhelmed already by how much I'd changed, they didn't understand any of it. I needed to talk about everything that had happened and that was happening then to someone who could keep my confidentiality and remind me of what "normal" was. If you can't find free services, I'm sure that your family would pay for therapy if you told them that you needed some non aarc support.

I'm sorry this is a really long post! I hope that some of it is useful. Sadly, there are so many graduates feeling the same as you, probably located near you. You're not alone. There are also many graduates who have overcome it. On that note, the fact is that whether you had used or not, if you drifted away from AARC someone would start a rumor about you using so that nobody else would continue to assocaite with an outsider.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 10:10:00 AM »
Hamilton, isn't you diagnosis of depression a little premature? But I guess anyone who thinks replacing ritalin with meth is a good idea doesn't mind practicing psychology or medecine without a liscence. By the way, the best "harm reduction" strategy for addiction is to not use drugs. Duh.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »
Could somebody hand me my magic wand so I can make all of the drugs dissapear and cure everyone of addiction? Oh that's right I don't have one. Guess all of the junkies will just have to continue to run down neighborhoods by having no safe indoor place to inject and continue to spread Hep and HIV. Until we have a magic wand to make all of the drugs dissapear that's what will happen.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 02:18:00 PM »
If the ultimate goal of harm reduction tools like needle exchange and safe injection sites is not to encourage addicts to get off the drugs through recovery and treatment, then they merely prolong the inevitable - deteriorating health, mental illness and death. But oh yeah treatment and recovery doesn't work. Wait a minute! It did for me! Magic wand? No way. Hard work, therapy and 12 step meetings. Result? healthy, happy, parent, spouse, professional career. Every addict can use a hand up, it is a miserable existence, blaming everyone else for their problems.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
On 2004-11-04 07:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hamilton, isn't you diagnosis of depression a little premature? But I guess anyone who thinks replacing ritalin with meth is a good idea doesn't mind practicing psychology or medecine without a liscence. By the way, the best "harm reduction" strategy for addiction is to not use drugs. Duh."

You've constructed a straw man from my argument.  First, I did not offer a "diagnosis"  I thought she "might" be depressed and suggested somebody that the poster might want to talk to for help.  Having suffered from chronic depression myself, I felt that she/he was saying something I could identify with.
I see AARC as the most extreme manifestation of the prohibitionist temperance movement which appears to be experiencing a particularly strong comeback in N. America.   It's pretty obvous to me that the US particularly has always been terrified,  dealing with issues of  teenagers.  The drug war is related to that.  Sex drugs and rock & roll are to be feared.  Demean and scare kids enough and they will stay away.   And you do that by outright lying and exagerrating the dangers.
So perhaps what I should be emphasizing more is the importance of honesty.  What I have tried to do in mentioning my daughter is to say that, "look, she experimented with drugs, we did not panic, we were not catastophic, it was not the end of the world, we did not harangue her or suggest that she would be pregnantdead or injail, and she has moved on, it was in many ways a positive experience for her and she has gone on to help people who have real problems with drugs to overcome those problems."  
But the methods of AARC do not work to help people overcome their problems, for it is always a problem for you if you must abstain for fear of losing control.  

So, the best way to deal with drugs is to "just say   no" ?
And the best way to avoid pregnacy is to refuse to have sex? Well "duh" that's the real no-brainer

And where the hell did you get the idea that I advocated replacing Ritalin with Meth?  That's the most ridiculous misinterpretation of what I have had to say yet.

Good for you though, you continue to attempt to demean and destroy someone who is trying to recover     from AARC's draconian treatment.  Only dopes do dope, right?

Nice to know that you are misrepresenting what is said on this forum to the prisoners of the lost AARC.
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 06:59:00 PM »
"prisoners of the lost AARC"

Hamilton my friend, I think you have coined a tragically accurate phrase for this northern STRAIGHT/KIDS progenitor.  While you seem to be currently picked upon by the confused, I want to take advantage of this opportunity to thank you for your interest in AARC and for providing words of wisdom to those that have come here in search of such.  Thanks also to you for being the voice of the voiceless and for having the interest of those incarcerated in AARC at heart.
 :tup:  :tup:  :tup:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »
There will always be a large portion of Canada that can not "recover". They will not have insurance to put them through treatment or into hospitals. There will also always be big time dealers and you can keep fighting the war on drugs but drugs will always be there especially with the HA's having so much control over the country. So what good does it do to turn your back on the junkies who won't "recover"? Not only is it bad for that person but the entire comunity affected by a large drug population gets hurt. Calgary isn't seeing the problem the same way that Vancouver's Lower East Side has.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
On 2004-11-04 11:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"If the ultimate goal of harm reduction tools like needle exchange and safe injection sites is not to encourage addicts to get off the drugs through recovery and treatment, then they merely prolong the inevitable - deteriorating health, mental illness and death. But oh yeah treatment and recovery doesn't work.

What 'works' is whatever you think will work. If you're determined to drop a habit and you're convinced that you will (with or without the AA chips, graduation, or other talisman) then you will.

Some people are not there yet and others never will be. It's better to be hooked on clean, inexpensive opiates and be able to get on with your life than to be tied inextricably to the street dealer, unsafe injection practices and exposure to legal consequences; better for the user, better for the community, better for law enforcement, judiciary and corrections.

What they've found in Sweden, and which has been so successful that they're replicating it all over Europe, is that once an addict can seperate themselves from the underworld, they have a reasonable chance to succeed. Once they're stable, employed and out of trouble, they stand a far better chance of succeeding should they voluntarily withdraw from their drug. If they don't choose to withdraw, they can function as well as anybody on prescribed opiates.

Now, of course I'm talking about actual hardened addicts who have been shooting street shit into their veins for years while you're talking about teenagers who have been misidentified as addicts under the rediculous 'diagnostic' criteria used by AARC.

But, as regards needle exchange, the facts are the facts. Not only is it better for everyone all round if addicts can get clean needles, even if they stop right there. Needle exchange programs also bring these ppl into contact w/ medical professionals who can offer real, viable alternatives to dependence on street drugs instead of your magical-thinking-based immediate abstinance only theories.

Whoever kindles the flames of intolerance in America is lighting a fire underneath his own home.
--Harold E. Stassen, 1947

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »

On 2004-11-05 13:22:00, Antigen wrote:

"

Now, of course I'm talking about actual hardened addicts who have been shooting street shit into their veins for years while you're talking about teenagers who have been misidentified as addicts under the rediculous 'diagnostic' criteria used by AARC.

That's funny, I never saw you on my intake and assessment Ginger. Sounds to me like you are comparing your own experience, which occurred in a different place, years before AARC was opened. As far as "hardened addicts", I never shot up, but I did enough jail time, hurt enough people, robbed and stole to drink and smoke up. I was done. The help I got from AARC while in treatment was incredible. My sister and both my parents also got a tremendous amount of benefit. I did want to stop using drugs and drinking, and when I made the choice, AARC helped me. For never having been there, you sure make a lot of generalizations. AARC has been going for over 12 years - where is the evidence it has harmed anyone? It sure did me a lot of good.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »

DOES YOUR CHILD NEED AARC? - PARENT QUESTIONNAIRE  

o Yes  o No   1. Do you find their explanations for irresponsible behaviour or decreasing performance to be unbelievable or implausible?

o Yes  o No   2. Are they frequently dishonest?

o Yes  o No   3. Has their personality changed (i.e., are there inappropriate mood swings, hostility, giddiness or irritability?)

o Yes  o No   4. Has anyone expressed concern about their alcohol/drug use?

o Yes  o No   5. Are they less responsible re chores, schoolwork or being on time?

o Yes  o No   6. Have you found obvious signs of drug/alcohol use such as bottles, drugs, or paraphernalia?

o Yes  o No   7. Have they lied about their use of alcohol or drugs?

o Yes  o No   8. Have their grades dropped or is there decreased interest in school activities?

o Yes  o No   9. Do they have unexplained periods of depression, anxiety or difficulty with sleep?

o Yes  o No 10. Have they become withdrawn and uncommunicative?

o Yes  o No 11. Do they spend a lot of time alone?

o Yes  o No 12. Do they show a lack of motivation or an apathetic attitude?

o Yes  o No 13. Have you noticed alcohol or pills missing from your home?

o Yes  o No 14. Are you missing money, credit cards or valuables that could be converted into cash?

o Yes  o No 15. Do they seem to have difficulty remembering things?

o Yes  o No 16. Is there a change in their personal hygiene, dress habits or sleeping and eating habits?

o Yes  o No 17. Do you ever notice physical indicators of drug/alcohol abuse (i.e., red eyes, dilated pupils, and slurred speech)?

o Yes  o No 18. Have you observed irrational or explosive behaviour?

o Yes  o No 19. Are they increasingly secretive about their whereabouts?

o Yes  o No 20. Are there signs of medical or emotional problems, such as depression, anxiety, suicidal ideation, ulcers, or gastritis?

o Yes  o No 21. Is there evidence they are involved with the occult?

o Yes  o No 22. Has their peer group changed to include friends that are involved in drinking, using drugs and partying?

o Yes  o No 23. Do they become belligerent, angry or defensive when others express concern about their drug use?

o Yes  o No 24. Are they irresponsible drivers?

If you have answered ?Yes? to:

http://www.aarc.ab.ca/addiction.htm#Pos ... 0addiction

Yup, same as it ever was...

Were the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. Thus in France the emetic was once forbidden as a medicine, and the potato as an article of food. Government is just as infallible,[sic] too, when it fixes systems in physics. Galileo was sent to the Inquisition for affirming that the earth was a sphere.... It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »
DOES YOUR CHILD NEED AARC? - PARENT QUESTIONNAIRE

THE GINGER WARBIS SOLUTION

o Yes o No 1. Do you find their explanations for irresponsible behaviour or decreasing performance to be unbelievable or implausible?

IT's Just a phase - lies have nothing to do with addiction

o Yes o No 2. Are they frequently dishonest?

o Yes o No 3. Has their personality changed (i.e., are there inappropriate mood swings, hostility, giddiness or irritability?)

IT's Just a phase - personality changes have nothing to do with addiction

o Yes o No 4. Has anyone expressed concern about their alcohol/drug use?

IT's Just a phase - alcohol and drugs have nothing to do with addiction

o Yes o No 5. Are they less responsible re chores, schoolwork or being on time?

IT's Just a phase - lack of personal responsibility has nothing to do with addiction

o Yes o No 6. Have you found obvious signs of drug/alcohol use such as bottles, drugs, or paraphernalia?

IT's Just a phase - ignore the paraphenalia

o Yes o No 7. Have they lied about their use of alcohol or drugs?

o Yes o No 8. Have their grades dropped or is there decreased interest in school activities?

IT's Just a phase - poor prformance have nothing to do with addiction

o Yes o No 9. Do they have unexplained periods of depression, anxiety or difficulty with sleep?

IT's Just a phase - depression, anxiety or sleeping problems have nothing to do with addiction

o Yes o No 10. Have they become withdrawn and uncommunicative?

IT's Just a phase - withdrawing and lack of communication have nothing to do with addiction

o Yes o No 11. Do they spend a lot of time alone?

IT's Just a phase - isolation is healthy

o Yes o No 12. Do they show a lack of motivation or an apathetic attitude?

IT's Just a phase - perfectly normal

o Yes o No 13. Have you noticed alcohol or pills missing from your home?

IT's Just a phase - theft of intoxicants are fine

o Yes o No 14. Are you missing money, credit cards or valuables that could be converted into cash?

IT's Just a phase - theft is just good clean fun!

o Yes o No 15. Do they seem to have difficulty remembering things?

IT's Just a phase - perhaps early alzheimer's

o Yes o No 16. Is there a change in their personal hygiene, dress habits or sleeping and eating habits?

IT's Just a phase - kids are just dirty little rascals

o Yes o No 17. Do you ever notice physical indicators of drug/alcohol abuse (i.e., red eyes, dilated pupils, and slurred speech)?

IT's Just a phase - probably just a stroke

o Yes o No 18. Have you observed irrational or explosive behaviour?

IT's Just a phase - perhaps some anger management

o Yes o No 19. Are they increasingly secretive about their whereabouts?

IT's Just a phase - my 13 year old should be able to go where he likes, I am just being a nag

o Yes o No 20. Are there signs of medical or emotional problems, such as depression, anxiety, suicidal ideation, ulcers, or gastritis?

IT's Just a phase - he'll grow out of it, or end up in jail where he will get good medical attention, or die and not be such a bother. If I'm really lucky, he'll end up on the streets in Vancouver where they have great harm reduction, and can treat his sceptic arm.

o Yes o No 21. Is there evidence they are involved with the occult?

IT's Just a phase - organizations that teach that selfishness is good have nothing to do with addiction

o Yes o No 22. Has their peer group changed to include friends that are involved in drinking, using drugs and partying?

IT's Just a phase - good! Other people to point at and say my kid is not that bad!

o Yes o No 23. Do they become belligerent, angry or defensive when others express concern about their drug use?

IT's Just a phase - defensiveness around drug use is good - they will learn to become a good lawyer if they can stay out of jail long enough.

o Yes o No 24. Are they irresponsible drivers?

IT's Just a phase - add some booze and drugs!