Author Topic: So is Bush going to steal the election again  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So is Bush going to steal the election again
« on: October 22, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »
Aaah! Land of the free, home of the brave.  What a joke, seems like the whole world knows what a travesty US democracy has become  -- except for Americans.  

VOTING AND COUNTING
by Paul Krugman
from the New York Times

October 22, 2004 - If the election were held today and the votes were counted fairly, Senator John Kerry would probably win. But the votes won't be counted fairly, and the disenfranchisement of minority voters may determine the outcome.

... Last week I described Greg Palast's work on the 2000 election, reported recently in Harper's, which conclusively shows that Florida was thrown to Mr. Bush by a combination of factors that disenfranchised black voters. These included a defective felon list, which wrongly struck thousands of people from the voter rolls, and defective voting machines, which disproportionately failed to record votes in poor, black districts.

One might have expected Florida's government to fix these problems during the intervening four years. But most of those wrongly denied voting rights in 2000 still haven't had those rights restored - and the replacement of punch-card machines has created new problems.

After the 2000 debacle, a task force appointed by Gov. Jeb Bush recommended that the state adopt a robust voting technology that would greatly reduce the number of spoiled ballots and provide a paper trail for recounts: paper ballots read by optical scanners that alert voters to problems. This system is in use in some affluent, mainly white Florida counties.

But Governor Bush ignored this recommendation, just as he ignored state officials who urged him to "pull the plug" on a new felon list - which was quickly discredited once a judge forced the state to make it public - just days before he ordered the list put into effect. Instead, much of the state will vote using touch-screen machines that are unreliable and subject to hacking, and leave no paper trail. Mr. Palast estimates that this will disenfranchise 27,000 voters - disproportionately poor and black.

A lot can change in 11 days, and Mr. Bush may yet win convincingly. But we must not repeat the mistake of 2000 by refusing to acknowledge the possibility that a narrow Bush win, especially if it depends on Florida, rests on the systematic disenfranchisement of minority voters. And the media must not treat such a suspect win as a validation of skewed reporting that has consistently overstated Mr. Bush's popular support.

Excerpted from the New York Times.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline southern boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
Get informed, the founding fathers did not want this to be a Democracy, they intended for it to be a Republic, big difference.

Offline Antny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 09:28:00 PM »
On 2004-10-27 12:43:00, southern boy wrote:

"Get informed, the founding fathers did not want this to be a Democracy, they intended for it to be a Republic, big difference."

Tell me, Southern Boy, would you like for slavery to still be legal as well?  Shoud women vote?  I wonder, what is all this progress all about anyway?  What do you think?  Or do you?
etter a lifetime of dreams fulfilled than dreams of fulfilment.

Offline southern boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »
Give me a break you egotistical piece of shit, slavery, is that because I am from the south.  I was voicing a fact about what are country was founded on.  You are the one spouting off about what america should be.  Do not imply that I am ingnorant again!

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »
***Get informed, the founding fathers did not want this to be a Democracy, they intended for it to be a Republic, big difference

Is that why this god damned country is spreading its religion, woops 'scuse me, its DEMOCRACY to all corners of the world? Whether they want it or not?

In fact what they are spreading is Repubaptistism, of the worst sort.

A sick bunch of puppies.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »
***Tell me, Southern Boy, would you like for slavery to still be legal as well? Shoud women vote? I wonder, what is all this progress all about anyway? What do you think? Or do you?

SB don't have no worries, he be white. And from Gawgah. (Ga)

I loved Chris Rock's latest tour. He had a joke that went somethin like this.

They want me to be afraid of Al Quaida. I'm not afraid of no AQ.
AQ didn't blow up the Federal Bldg. AQ didn't drag James Bird behind a truck until his eyes popped out.
No I ain't afraid of no AQ, I'm afraid of Al Craka.

(There was one more example that I've forgotten)

I thought I'd fall of the couch laughing.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700