Author Topic: sayings in the seed and what they really meant.  (Read 30789 times)

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
Re: sayings in the seed and what they really meant.
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 11:55:53 PM »
I was in and out all within 1973. So i wasn't there at the end. But we wouldn't have had any way of knowing shit anyway. we weren't allowed to watch tv or read anything. I did find out later after making peace with my parents that the seed kept soliciting money from them long after I was gone.
I've asked about the cross over between programs. The seed and straight inc. Nobody from either camp seems to know. At least  the ones here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
?©?€~¥@

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
Sorry for the double post.Surprised I wasn't warned about "flooding".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:34:51 AM by none-ya »
?©?€~¥@

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 01:32:09 AM »
Cross over in terms of staff or some other sort of cross over?

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 03:41:50 AM »
Not staff, kids. I don't think any staff crossed over.
?©?€~¥@

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
I was wrong again. The "intake lady" Helen Peterman. I never never knew she was such a big deal at straight. I thought it was all Sembler.
http://thestraights.net/people/medical- ... terman.htm
?©?€~¥@

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 01:27:52 AM »
I remember reading some of the threads about Helen Peterman, quite the bit of hate for the woman.

You ever run across her in the SEED?

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 04:25:02 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
I remember reading some of the threads about Helen Peterman, quite the bit of hate for the woman.

You ever run across her in the SEED?

Only when I first got there. She interviewed my parents and me. She seemed really nice. (I can't believe I said that). But it's true. Everything was groovy until the got me in the group. And then all of a sudden things really started to suck.
?©?€~¥@

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 03:12:52 AM »
I'm afraid to even ask.... but now I'm curious... what happened?

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
NoneYa did you have any groups that were run by residents turned staff or by senior residents? What kind of group therapy did the Seed have?
At Marathon House we had an encounter group where you were confronted on why you were there and or your behavior while there. At Élan we had an encounter group also but ramped up about 100 octaves. It was a very aggressive style of communicating your displeasure with someone. This group served no "real life" purpose at all. We also had a primal scream therapy group which was supposed to allow for the excising of emotions that you denied due to fear. Ya right....it caused more damage than good. The last form of group or confrontation was a GM or General Meeting. This is where you were placed standing in front of your peers in a room and they could charge at you and scream in your face their displeasure they had for you. Would was usually fabricated from staff and directors and fed to you as propaganda to fuel the fire inside you. We were already on edge most of the time so it didn't take much to ramp us up.
Can you identify with any of this while you were at the Seed?
I have often wondered if the Seed was much like Daytop during the 60's and 70's. I was placed at a satellite of Daytop by my mother and her cousin who worked with the Superintendent of Schools in Hartford Ct. It was like a "Scared Staright" moment they were trying to create. It didn't work...I found the older junkies to be fascinating to the point I copied their behavior. Not to smart on my account.
More to my point if the Seed was like Daytop because when I was familiar with Daytop late 60's and 70's most of the members were drug addicts and criminals trying to get clean. I don't remember Daytop offering advanced behavioral therapy etc....it was more like one junkie helping another mantra.
Where are you anyway....lets hear from ya.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 11:54:22 PM »
Group therapy in the seed was a joke. When you're first brought in they pop you down in the front row and tell you not to speak or raise your hand. For the first week you only got to speak in open meetings. As a newcommer we were on 10-10's. !0am-10pm. Sunday 12pm-10pm. And nights with a foster family. It was all "raps" all the time. Everybody in a large group girls on one side, boys on the other. During the day it was repetitive. Rules rap, guy's rap,serenity prayer rap,sing songs etc...
 The staff I remember all came from the original seed in Ft. Lauderdale. John Underwood, Big black Arthur, libby were all hard core junkies. At night when the oldcommers came things got really hairy. That's when people would start snitching on each other about shit that went on in school. I think about half the kids in the seed went to Lakewood high. That's when the really nasty shit would come down. You know the scene, people screaming at complete strangers about shit they know nothing about.
They had their favorites they used. There were no licensed therapists our counselors ever.
?©?€~¥@

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
Group therapy in the seed was a joke. When you're first brought in they pop you down in the front row and tell you not to speak or raise your hand. For the first week you only got to speak in open meetings. As a newcommer we were on 10-10's. !0am-10pm. Sunday 12pm-10pm. And nights with a foster family. It was all "raps" all the time. Everybody in a large group girls on one side, boys on the other. During the day it was repetitive. Rules rap, guy's rap,serenity prayer rap,sing songs etc...
 The staff I remember all came from the original seed in Ft. Lauderdale. John Underwood, Big black Arthur, libby were all hard core junkies. At night when the oldcommers came things got really hairy. That's when people would start snitching on each other about shit that went on in school. I think about half the kids in the seed went to Lakewood high. That's when the really nasty shit would come down. You know the scene, people screaming at complete strangers about shit they know nothing about.
They had their favorites they used. There were no licensed therapists our counselors ever.

So the Seed was the mother that birthed Straight Inc? This whole concept of still going to High School, living at night with with adopted foster care parents and being in raps all day is totally foreign to me. I can't even imagine how it could work. Shit....most of the Élan members I knew would have totally taken advantage of these requirements (criminally). They took many straight from juvenile detention centers and state hospitals. Could you imagine the liability issues? This would have brought negative attention to Élan that nobody affiliated with that hellhole ever would had wanted.
What kept all of you from just running away, during school or at night? Was there a high escape from The Seed ratio?
I bet most of you were somewhat like myself and just didn't have anywhere to go. If you did run you were threatened with an even harsher punishment from your parents and/or authorities.
My mother threatened to have me locked up in a mental facility and medicated with Thorazine if I left Maine. I didn't believe this would happen but shit you never knew with the State of Rhode Island Mental Health Dept. My mom did this all because I refused to live in the hell my household was.
NoneYa was anyone sent there from the State of Florida? How was your placement paid for through Child Welfare? I'm sure not all parents could afford the costs of placement.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 02:51:07 AM »
Quote from: "none-ya"

Hmm... interesting.. ngms, or new group members at 3 springs weren't allowed to call huddles or give feedback in huddles as well.

Lakewood? I've rolled through there, depressing city.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 03:32:49 AM »
che said;
Lakewood? I've rolled through there, depressing city.

Lakewood is not a city. Lakewood high school is in St. Petersburg. Still depressing though.
?©?€~¥@

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:13 AM »
Danny B II wrote;
So the Seed was the mother that birthed Straight Inc? This whole concept of still going to High School, living at night with with adopted foster care parents and being in raps all day is totally foreign to me. I can't even imagine how it could work. Shit....most of the Élan members I knew would have totally taken advantage of these requirements (criminally). They took many straight from juvenile detention centers and state hospitals. Could you imagine the liability issues? This would have brought negative attention to Élan that nobody affiliated with that hellhole ever would had wanted.
What kept all of you from just running away, during school or at night? Was there a high escape from The Seed ratio?
I bet most of you were somewhat like myself and just didn't have anywhere to go. If you did run you were threatened with an even harsher punishment from your parents and/or authorities.
My mother threatened to have me locked up in a mental facility and medicated with Thorazine if I left Maine. I didn't believe this would happen but shit you never knew with the State of Rhode Island Mental Health Dept. My mom did this all because I refused to live in the hell my household was.
NoneYa was anyone sent there from the State of Florida? How was your placement paid for through Child Welfare? I'm sure not all parents could afford the costs of placement.

I often wondered why more people didn't split when they had the the chance. Is it me or are most rich kids pussys? I knew I was never going to complete the program. All I could think about was splitting. I couldn't believe What happened the first time I tried to run. It was day 3,and when foster dad pulled in the driveway we got out of the car and I bolted. My oldcommer Mr. football star, and 2 other newcommers chased me for 5 or 6 blocks through south St. Pete.About 11pm. I tripped and fell hurt my knee and was tackled by the 3 of them. They didn't rough me up too bad. I just never understood why the 2 other newcommers didn't take the opportunity to free themselves. 1 guy couldn't have caught all of us.Ass kissin' pussy rich kids. And yea i was there like a lot of kids who got in trouble and the court sent me there on the recommendation of my  public defender. Under the offer of no criminal record if I complete the program. And the court ordered program was twice the length of parental placement. 6 mon. vs 3 mon. Which was a joke 'cause everybody that graduated was in for at least a year. Court ordered or not. Long story short (too late) I bided my time until I was allowed to go home. Still on my 10-10. Made it for a while and then I just had to go. Thank god for some good friends. I split. I'm gettin' a headache remembering.
?©?€~¥@

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 07:56:21 AM »
10-10?

The Lakewood, in North Florida, probably something I got confused with one of the other cities in Florida. Last time I was in florida was 2002, memory is a bit fuzzy on the geography.

As for St. Petes, are you referring to St. Petersburg? The city that has that old spanish fort?