Author Topic: St.Pete straight 1979  (Read 43287 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« on: October 21, 2004, 10:14:00 AM »
Hello everyone,
My name is margaret and when I was in the program in 1979 my last name was ********. I recently googled Straight inc. and came up with the straight alumni site.Seems that most of the people there were well after my time ( I'm getting old!) but someone recommended that I try this one in the hopes of finding another St.Pete survivor from aroung that time.I had no idea that there had been so many programs all over the country and that there were so many of us!If anyone out there was in St. Pete in 1979-1980 I would love to talk to you.
Margaret
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:07:14 PM by The Fornits »

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:42:00 PM »
Hyya Margaret
There are a few of us around from that time period. I was there from January 21st 1978 till 80-81'ish. I was in the old Milton Roy building as well as the Morgan Yacht building.
Welcome to the site, I also did a google on Straight (gawd knows why). I also found the site you mentioned and found this one shortly afterwards.
I haven't been able to post near as much as I had orginally hoped but have been able to do alot of reading here. Been an interesting ride, to be sure. I look forward to more post from you and hopefully I will be able to write more also.
Welcome! :wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline whiterabbit

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »
Hi Margaret!

I was in St Pete Straight from October 1980 -1983. I was in a bit later than you but not by much.

Love Ya Margaret........and welcome
 :em:

The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this.
--Albert Einstein, My First Impression of the U.S.A., 1921

traight Incorporated is a disease

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:17:00 AM »
Hello - welcome to the forum.  I was in in St. Pete straight, Dec 78 - March 1980.  And, yes, we are all getting old.  Heck, I'm a grandpa already.

Mike Sherman, Straight St. Pete
78 - 80

Offline seamus

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 02:34:00 PM »
I remember you ,kinda. Iwas in morgan yacht bld.2/79-6/80
I left florida for good in 91
 :tup:
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 05:18:00 AM »
Hi Margaret,  I remember 2 or 3 Margarets from that time period.  You probably remember Anthony Niccocia's dad drowning us with free orange juice from Tropicana.  That was one of the few good memories.  They also had the flood of May 8th, the only day that Straight closed early.

I barely knew you, because I was on my higher phases.  I also think you lived outside of Pinellas County.  I do remember one night as a 7 stepper, getting dragged to Westshore Mall in Tampa because it was some girls birthday.  They celebrated at an ice cream parlor restaurant called Farrell's.  When the waitress came and took our order, one of the girls I did'nt know too well said she wanted her Sundae 'nutless' and all the girls started laughing so hard they went into vapor lock, that was'nt you was it?  It was pretty damn funny and caused quite a scene.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 02:09:00 PM »
Hey! So glad to hear from you guys! Gald to know that there are still some of us out there.I had forgotten about the orange juice Day jerk!!Thanks for the laugh. I lived in Sarasota while in the program.Remember when that tanker hit the skyway
 bridge? We had just gone over it on our way to the program right before it got hit.I remember when I found out what happened wishing we had left later so the bridge would have been shut down when we got there,and maybe we wouldn't have to go in. Of course I never actually said that to anyone, god forbid, I probably would have been started over! I remember one other Margaret and she was from Sarasota too. Her brother was in the program as well. I can't remember his first name but their last name was Heath. Ring any bells? One of the things I remember about Margaret Heath is that she stood up the first day I was in the program as one of the people who new me and had done drugs with me and I had never set eyes on her in my life.Funny the stuff you remember.
No, I'm not the girl who wanted her sundae "nutless".After I seven stepped I only came back to St.Pete a handful of times and only when I was forced.
Who was it that asked about Wanda? How could you ever forget her? She was such a bitch. I remember every time we would find out that she was leading a rap you just knew something bad was gonna happen.Anyone know what ever happened to her?
Day jerk, do you remeber the old saturday night live scit with Gilda Radner doing Lisa loopner?
Her hair in a ponytail on the top of her head, glasses, acting all nerdy? I use to do that in group every once in a while when they asked me. Sound familiar?
So glad to know that you guys are out there!!
margaret

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 02:09:00 PM »
Hey! So glad to hear from you guys! Gald to know that there are still some of us out there.I had forgotten about the orange juice Day jerk!!Thanks for the laugh. I lived in Sarasota while in the program.Remember when that tanker hit the skyway
 bridge? We had just gone over it on our way to the program right before it got hit.I remember when I found out what happened wishing we had left later so the bridge would have been shut down when we got there,and maybe we wouldn't have to go in. Of course I never actually said that to anyone, god forbid, I probably would have been started over! I remember one other Margaret and she was from Sarasota too. Her brother was in the program as well. I can't remember his first name but their last name was Heath. Ring any bells? One of the things I remember about Margaret Heath is that she stood up the first day I was in the program as one of the people who new me and had done drugs with me and I had never set eyes on her in my life.Funny the stuff you remember.
No, I'm not the girl who wanted her sundae "nutless".After I seven stepped I only came back to St.Pete a handful of times and only when I was forced.
Who was it that asked about Wanda? How could you ever forget her? She was such a bitch. I remember every time we would find out that she was leading a rap you just knew something bad was gonna happen.Anyone know what ever happened to her?
Day jerk, do you remeber the old saturday night live scit with Gilda Radner doing Lisa loopner?
Her hair in a ponytail on the top of her head, glasses, acting all nerdy? I use to do that in group every once in a while when they asked me. Sound familiar?
So glad to know that you guys are out there!!
margaret

Offline gduncan

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 08:08:00 AM »
Hi Margaret,

Welcome to the board.  I was in St Pete '80-'81 before shipping off to Atlanta when the program branched out.  Your name sounds kind of familiar and I think you were on a higher phase when I began my unfortunate incarceration.  It's amazing some of the things you'll remember when you start reading some of the posts.

Offline aynsmom

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »
I know I Know your name.Were you from Sarasota ? I was from Sarasota before Straight .I'm kind of curious to find out some of the names.I see so many anyomous's on the boards.My name was Lisa Hunter. :silly: It is amazing to find this is'nt it.I have'nt been on in awhile.Keep in touch

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »
Hi Margaret

Its Margaret Heath. I remember you well. You were in Sarasota too. Do you remember tying your hair up on the top of your head and putting glasses on and acting like a goof...

I remember you so well. I would love to talk to you. my aim is [email protected]

Man , too much here to remember or post so get a hold of me. Good to see you and welcome....
Glad your ok

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »
Paging M. DeDne didnt want to put your full real name up, but you can contact me. I remember you well , we were foster sisters. Ask ginger to give you the contact info for the Sarasota survivor who met her at fame haven. Ginger is the [email protected]

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
No talking out in group! :flame:
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline mbell1960

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »
Hey Margeret, I was there the same period you were. I stumbled on this site recently. It is good to see so many people from our teen years still around and what they have been up to the past 25 years or so. I remember the donated orange juice we got. Bob Patterson has an astounding memory for for things that happened a quarter of a century ago!!!  Also is strange when Mike Sherman talks of being a grand dad! In my minds eye I still see him as the 15,16 year old I had remembered. Anyway welcome and hope you have a wonderful conclusion to a long and strange trip its been! 'grateful dead'

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 05:51:00 PM »
Hi, Margaret.  This is John K. I did my sentence from 77-79 and then worked until 81 on staff. I remember almost all of the people mentioned on this page.  I used to be a junior staff member in Sarasota and led raps to try and make people think and guess at what we were actually talking about.  Little did most people know I had no idea what I the topic was either.  I remember you and Margaret Heath (hello).  Your mom used to work at Sun Bank and I believe we visited her there  once or twice. It's pretty weird to be having a flashback like this.  I remember your goofy hair and making everybody laugh like crazy but I suppose that would be called "playing games" back then.  Crazy times.  

I completely stumbled onto this site and am utterly confused and appalled by the things that are mentioned.  I feel awful that so many people have had these tragic things happen to them. As a staff member back then I thought we were actually helping people.  Yes, it was too strict and rigid, but I never saw anything like the things that are posted here.  I don't know what to think.  Was I a blind fool or did things go terribly wrong after I moved on?  I was young, only 12 when starting and 16 when leaving the staff. What happened?

I have no regrets from the "program" except that it was quite confusing for a 12 year old to be suddenly left 50 miles from home.  I have been fortunate I guess.  Maybe because I was so young.  I don't know.  

Well, I hope you've fared better than most and to those of you who are reading this I am so sorry.  I did not experience the things you did but damn the people who did these things.

PS.  I do remember Dion and Charles (the black guys mentioned in another thread).  Charles was my newcomer.  Haven't thought about him in....25 years.  Yes, I'm old too.  Best wishes to all!