Author Topic: Re: Falling for CULTS  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Falling for CULTS
« on: September 21, 2004, 11:19:00 AM »
I was bored at work, slow today.  Starting researching cults.  Came across one called LIFESPRINGS.  It reads like a STRAIGHT for grown ups, made me gag.

Anyway, i just shook my head.  I know I have said it before, but I'll say it again.  Who falls for this crap?  My parents did, with Straight.  I would never fall for such BS.  Not with any Cult.  Why do some people have such a need to be told what to think?  What ever happened to common sense???

Thea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Kiwi

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:28:00 PM »
On 2004-09-21 08:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Came across one called LIFESPRINGS.  It reads like a STRAIGHT for grown ups, made me gag.

Thea"

Unfortunately there is a teen derivative: Resource Realizations / Premier Education / WWASP

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »
I dunno, Thea. But people do.

Republican n. A liberty despising, money worshiping, control freak. Democrat n. A liberty despising, social engineering, control freak.
-- Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 11:27:00 PM »
I went to CEDU and I remember staff coming to work there after going through LIFESPRINGS. I guess it's a common derivative for most cult crap. I wonder if EST is the same shit.
hanlea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
when were you at cedu running springs?   it was common knowledge that it was a cult that sprang out of synanon.  mel wasserman cedu abuser and sociopath who believed his own lies  kept the truth hidden from parents so they would not take there children from him.  parents would arrive with law enforcement and several would bring guns because he would often hide the kids from the parents and force staff to lie to parents and law enforcement.  staff were threatened and fined and physically and emotionally abused if they did not say what he told them too.

Offline shady grove

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »
could you tell us more about CEDU, anon. Seeing alot about it on this site and ISAC.

What was it like and what brings you to the straight survivors forum? In your estimation, were they similar?

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 09:29:00 AM »
I don't know about Anon, but I started reading the other sites to educate myself about programs other than CEDU.  The Straight and SEED sites often contain great insight that really clarifies feelings I have about my own experience.  It alkso seems people at the S/S sites don't get bogged down in the pettiness such as the Elan site. The Straight sites has actually been very helpful for me in terms of articulating my experiences.  Because I really sort of pushed it in the back of my mind for years. To tell you the truth, even though I successfully split CEDU, I was still brainwashed and my perspective was changed about the world. After all that insularity, I judged things as being "in agreement" or out of it according to CEDU--this was all subconscious.  I think in the back of my mind I thought "it's OK to split if I live by CEDU values."  How fucked up is that??!!

Anyway, CEDU was an attractive environment that appealed to parents but it was very isolated to keep you from leaving and to keep the outside world from influencing you.  Once inside, you are are surrounded by CEDU lingo, group think, values, agreements, arbitrary bans (bans like music, or from the opposite sex if you were attractive, or from the sun if you spent too much time outside, or the color blue... If your hair was beautiful and long, they'd cut it off etc.)  The raps were probably very similar to Straight from everything I heard and we also had a series of "propheets" that lasted from 24 hours to 5 days that were full of sleep dep, abusive raps where they REALLY tear you down--break you--and mind fucking exercises that screw up your psyche and penetrate your own values and ability to think for yourself what is good and true.  In propheets, you were very isolated and never allowed to mention any of the goings-on to anyone, ever. Secret stuff.

They also lied/exaggerated/manipulated parents and bullied you into making confessions to use against you--some of these confessions were false under duress.  Also you were cut off from everyone except a monitored 15 minute phone call w/your parents where you could say nothing true.  The parents visited every 3 months, and after wards were debriefed to make sure you didn't say anything and to paint you as a bullshitter. YOu had no contact with anyone else.  

There's more (academics that were a total sham, medical neglect etc.), and I'll write later or answer questions.

I will say that in many ways Straight sounds worse.  We were not physically restrained or hurt
in the CA facility because of laws.  Also we weren't belt loooped (which is fucking totally demeaning), in foster type homes that varied in quality, given poor hygeine and singular diets (PB&J). We probably saw our parents a little more (every 3 months).  The Straight stories make me want to vomit for the total lack of dignity they took from you.  

Anyway, that's all for now,Shanlea
hanlea

Offline shady grove

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »
thank you. I'm not sure if that sounds better than straight. Both sound bad in different and similar ways. Can you explain the propheet thing more? What secret stuff?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »
when were you at cedu running springs? it was common knowledge that it was a cult that sprang out of synanon. mel wasserman cedu abuser and sociopath who believed his own lies kept the truth hidden from parents so they would not take there children from him. parents would arrive with law enforcement and several would bring guns because he would often hide the kids from the parents and force staff to lie to parents and law enforcement. staff were threatened and fined and physically and emotionally abused if they did not say what he told them too. emotional terrorists who were last in whitmore,ca operating a gulag called cascade. they told so many lies and even claimed kids were terrorists. truth is so many left after being molested that they closed to prevent being investigated.