Author Topic: If you like posts by hostile people, you'll love this guy!  (Read 9666 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
If you like posts by hostile people, you'll love this guy!
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »
HamiltonF proves the point of addressing adolescent addiction: Pierre Burton started smoking Dope when in his 40s! He had success, coping mechanisms, and only does it once a month! I am sober 12 years, started smoking dope as a child and led a life of crime for over 10 years by the time I got to AARC. My drug of choice, by far, was pot. Adults who start drinking or getting high smoking the occaissional joint are not nearly in as much danger of addiction as a 12 or 13 year old.

As for the point someone raised about a natural high, it took me years of sobriety until I discovered meditation, which is recommended by AA. I have had incredible moments, and even days since starting meditation. I was inspired by Noah Levine, in his book Dharma PunX. It costs me nothing to meditate, has proven benefits (ask the Dalai Lama), and has just been a pleasure.

Just a few thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2004, 09:50:00 AM »
That doesn't prove anything of the sort.  But there is no question that adolescent use of illicit substances may be harmful. But even then, it does not inevitably lead to deathdiseasecrimeorandorinsanity.  Alcohol has just as much chance of leading to these as marijuana - when consumed in back streets or behind a parent's back. But it's the illegality , the set and setting that has to do with that.
The "addictive potential" of pot is quite low, even with adolescents.  But the circumstances in which it may be consumed, because of its illegality, (and possibly because of panicky parents) is what is dangerous.
As a parent I can tell you that I would be far more concerned if my child were smoking ordinary cigarettes or drinking secretly than smoking pot.
And I sure as hell wouldn't buy into Dean Vause's propaganda that those or any illicit drug was a sure pathway to self-destruction and life on the streets.  Kids experiment, so the first thing to remember if you find the indicia of drug taking that AARC tell you about is DON'T PANIC.
Remember, the vast majority of kids who experiment with drugs either grow out of it altogether or moderate their use to such an extent that it does not interfere with their ability to function.  
So, for every Pierre Burton that you say proves the problem of adolescent addiction, I can produce  dozens of "successful" professionals who will admit to adolescent use of pot, LSD and a few who even used cocaine.  This is not to approve of it but simply to emphasize that the cataclysmic thinking of those under the influence of Dean Vause's ideology gives rise to a cure that is worse than the disease.  For what this perverted form of "therapy" does is to completely abrogate the function of free-will.  
Judging from the self-righteous vituperative language of those on this thread who support AARC, I would suggest the one thing that AARC has failed to do is provide any insight for its victims into their own behaviour.  Rather, by breaking them down (as I caught a glimpse of in "Recovering Crystal") AARC is the very opposite of therapy.  Purely and simply it is  indeed, cultic brainwashing.
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »
"So, for every Pierre Burton that you say proves the problem of adolescent addiction, I can produce dozens of "successful" professionals who will admit to adolescent use of pot, LSD and a few who even used cocaine. This is not to approve of it but simply to emphasize that the cataclysmic thinking of those under the influence of Dean Vause's ideology gives rise to a cure that is worse than the disease. For what this perverted form of "therapy" does is to completely abrogate the function of free-will. "

Riiight....and I can produce thousands of hardened, violent criminals who will admit to the adolescent use of pot, LSD, cocaine and MDMA. When I was smoking dope (I rarely smoked cigarettes), and drinking, I committed a home invasion, sold drugs to kids, bought and sold firearms, committed kidnapping, extorsion and assault. No one brainwashed me at AARC into acknowledging my addiction, I merely related past incidents, from beginning to end, and saw how every one related to my daily using. AARC merely extend what happens in 12 step meetings every day - talking about what it was like,what happened, and what it's like now.

As for preferring your kids use marijuana rather than cigarettes, that is like saying I would prefer my kid to use cyanide over arsenic - why use anything at all? And what age would you allow your children to get high? And should they drive, operate machinery or fly? It's difficult enough to test impaired drivers for alcohol, let alone marijuana.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »
On 2004-10-17 07:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

Riiight....and I can produce thousands of hardened, violent criminals who will admit to the adolescent use of pot, LSD, cocaine and MDMA.

And if you ask them, you'll find that most of them also drank milk. Correlation is not causation. The trouble w/ your theory is the hundreds of millions of people who use these drugs and don't ever commit crimes against anybody.

When I was smoking dope (I rarely smoked cigarettes), and drinking, I committed a home invasion, sold drugs to kids, bought and sold firearms, committed kidnapping, extorsion and assault.

And when I and my friends were smoking pot, we didn't do any of those things. We went to school, got decent grades then moved on to work and adult responsibilities. It's pathetic and weak for you to blame drugs for your own shameful behavior.

It's difficult enough to test impaired drivers for alcohol, let alone marijuana. "

Actually, Canadian, Dutch and Swedish studies all concluded that marijuana is less impairing than alcohol. Now, that said, I wouldn't want my kids driving impaired at all. And I'd bet good money (not to mention non-material things of real value) that I have more influence and credibility w/ my kids by telling them the truth than you do by trying to pass off your brand of hysteria as adult wisdom.

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another; shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2004, 11:10:00 AM »
On 2004-10-16 18:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

Adults who start drinking or getting high smoking the occaissional joint are not nearly in as much danger of addiction as a 12 or 13 year old.

Actually, that's a wash too. Turns out that alcoholism is rare in cultures that teach their children responsible alcohol use from childhood. It's in our modern European cultures, where drinking is kept in the pubs, away from the children, banished on Sundays where we have problems.

The right to do something does not mean that doing it is right.
--William Safire

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2004, 12:03:00 PM »
On 2004-10-17 08:05:00, Antigen wrote:

And if you ask them, you'll find that most of them also drank milk. Correlation is not causation. The trouble w/ your theory is the hundreds of millions of people who use these drugs and don't ever commit crimes against anybody.

:nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  

And when I and my friends were smoking pot, we didn't do any of those things. We went to school, got decent grades then moved on to work and adult responsibilities. It's pathetic and weak for you to blame drugs for your own shameful behavior.

:nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:

And I'd bet good money (not to mention non-material things of real value) that I have more influence and credibility w/ my kids by telling them the truth than you do by trying to pass off your brand of hysteria as adult wisdom.

:nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy: This has been proven over and over again.  My kids are a prime example.  They believed me about the real dangers because I didn't try to fill their heads with all the propoganda that is so easily swallowed by the rest of the sheep.

Don't laugh when you leave this courtroom, thinking you have beat the system because you have looked these things up yourself. We are going to get you down the road.
http://proliberty.com/observer/20020101.htm' target='_new'>Washington Superior CourtJudge Rebecca Baker

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2004, 12:29:00 PM »
"And when I and my friends were smoking pot, we didn't do any of those things. We went to school, got decent grades then moved on to work and adult responsibilities. It's pathetic and weak for you to blame drugs for your own shameful behavior. "

Good for you! Then maybe you weren't an addict! I am. As for blaming drugs for my "shameful behavior" you are right in one respect - it was shameful. And drugs dulled the feelings of shame enough for me to keep making those choices, as well as sapping my ambition to work hard and act responsibly. THAT IS THE NATURE OF ADDCITON. ask any street prostitute, petty thief or criminal who uses drugs. They do it feel better, but at the same time it traps them.

funny how when I stopped doing drugs I had ambition, energy, drive, motivation and became a thinking, ambitious, caring person. I volunteer with incarcerated youth, have a great child, happy marriage, good carrier. A correlation to using and then stopping drugs? You bet. And I hate milk, never drank it.

Now, to be clear, I am not a prohibitionist. I blew my chance to drink or smoke dope in moderation because it became my coping mechanism at a young age. I just want kids to develope enough sense of self and an ability to cope before they start experimenting with any mind altering substance.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »
I agree with most of what the last anon poster says..and maybe prohibition is not a realistic way to go,at least with adults even if smoking up or whatever is generally bad for them...but for god's sake people use your common sense...don't worry about whether some "famous" person who you don't know anything about personally did or did not use drugs at some point in time.

Look to your own life and experience..if you do, how can you possibly not see that substance use especially in the early and mid teens is a recipe for disaster? Even if there are exceptions to the rule, this is the rule

And what would make the drug-pushing posters here not be able to see it, except denial and self-justification...really shameful behavior

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
On 2004-10-17 13:14:00, Anonymous wrote:

Look to your own life and experience..if you do, how can you possibly not see that substance use especially in the early and mid teens is a recipe for disaster? Even if there are exceptions to the rule, this is the rule

And what would make the drug-pushing posters here not be able to see it, except denial and self-justification...really shameful behavior

Well, when I look at my life and the people I've known over half a lifetime, I don't see any correlation between pot smoking and failure. It's not denial, it's just what the evidence shows. I can't think of half a dozen people who I know now who never smoked pot and, really, very few who didn't do more than that. And yet most of the people I know who have serious depression and trouble managing their lives are people who I know through the Program.

Second, the last people who want prohibition to end are dope pushers! For all the same reasons why Al Capone and Babyface Nelson went into the liquor business, dope dealers can only make money as long as their stock in trade is illegal. That's why there are dope dealers in schools but no bootleggers anymore. Who the hell's going to pay exhorbinant prices for some home brewed substance of unknown origin if they have to compete w/ legal, regulated distributors?

It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2004, 05:36:00 PM »
On 2004-10-17 09:29:00, Anonymous wrote:

Now, to be clear, I am not a prohibitionist. I blew my chance to drink or smoke dope in moderation because it became my coping mechanism at a young age. I just want kids to develope enough sense of self and an ability to cope before they start experimenting with any mind altering substance.

Well, I don't think we really dissagree on all that much. I do think there are healthier, more reasonable ways to view substance abuse and to manage the risks than AA's powerful drug/powerless user model. The fact is that most people, by far, use mind altering drugs. Ya' have to count the pharmaceuticals here, as the only difference is in whether or not you've acqured professional permission; set and setting. And most of these people never have major problems with it. Those who do either, like you, swear abstinance forever or learn moderation without any kind of formal intervention or treatment. Just about the entire WWII generation dealt w/ ecconomic depression and poverty, PTSD (formerly known as "shell shock") and all of life's trevails w/o any formal intervention.

Even heroin is nowhere near as universally addictive as the authorities seem to believe. It's a true fact that somewhere around 70% of Vietnam vets used heroin while in that country. But when they came home, removed from the daily horror and the habit, they simply never bothered to look for a local connection. I would imagine that a good many of them puked and sweated for awhile. Not saying it's effortless. Just that the relatively new concept that an addict cannot end or manage their own addiction w/o some kind of formal intervention doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Now this begs many questions. Why do we spend billions of dollars per year for decades now trying to control addictive or abusive behavior through coercive means? It hasn't had any of the intended effect and certainly has engenderd a great deal of suffering, crime and illness.

Aside from a change of set and setting, how exactly does the Program "work"? Is it really necessary to humiliate adolescent kids by demanding confessions, often of a sexual nature, before a group of their peers? And what about the damage done when the staff or group get carried away, as they invariably do, and insist on a false confession?

I'm not saying that you, personally, didn't need a change of direction or a fresh start of some kind. Just that you probably could have done w/o the weird cultic side-show.

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is
proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in
everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
--Herbert Spencer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the slight concession - believe me, I only talk about my own experience. As far as AARC is concerned, the majority of kids that I have seen who end up there are end of the line. It wasn't the first place, usually not the second or third. They often come from jail or the psych ward. I know all about the "cultish" treatment center, started and promoted and profitted by frauds like Miller Newton. AARC is not like that. It worked well for me, and I know that I needed immersion in a safe place where I could concentrate on recovery. I needed to be out of the environment I was in.

My parents where psychologists, very knowledgable about addiction and other problems, and certainly would not have participated in a cultish program. I was almost 22, and no dummy, and I could have left any time. I stayed, it worked, and I am happy.

I enjoy the discussions on harmfulness of drugs and the effectiveness of various kinds of treatment. It would be great to take the harsh words and judgement out of the discussion, so it could be more beneficial for every one. There is research to prove any opinion, I would be more interested in personal experiences, before, during and after "treatment".

One more comment regarding AARC: if it had created harm similar to KIDS, the SEED, Straight, etc, then after over 12 years, and hundreds of graduates and their families, where are the lawsuits? I am sure lots of Ambulance chasers would like the chance to line their pockets at AARCs expense if the could find evidence of wrong doing. It happened to all those US based centers.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »
On 2004-10-17 13:14:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I agree with most of what the last anon poster says..and maybe prohibition is not a realistic way to go,at least with adults even if smoking up or whatever is generally bad for them...but for god's sake people use your common sense...don't worry about whether some "famous" person who you don't know anything about personally did or did not use drugs at some point in time.

It's really interesting to see how Anon changes his tune as, one by one his misconceptions are exposed.  But he still does not comprehend that "smoking up" ain't necessarily "generally bad" for you bad for you any more than is a glass of wine with your meal.  He still works from mthe false assumption that all drug use is abuse.  And I do not need to go to "famous" people as I know many "successful" people personally who have smoked up with no ill effects.  Indeed. there are some who would describe the experience as being something that opened doors of perception they otherwise would not have experienced.

Substance use (as opposed to abuse (or misuse)) as a recipe for disaster?  Perhaps.  
Perhaps as Antigen suggests, you take the "USE" of prescription pharmeceuticals as being a recipe for disaster.  Now some kid who is taken into care by Child Welfare for out-of control behaviour might just be deemed to be in need of an anxiolytic, for example, diazepam (valium to the uninitiated).   Now this helps him sleep but does not treat the root causes of the behaviour.  Result:  because  benzos have a short half-life, over time this kid becomes dependant (you notice I do not use the word addicted).  Not only that, because the kid gets little or no education in how the drug works , and still has to deal with the untreated demons  that bother him, he learns to fall back on this drug for the escape he needs.  When he hits 18 he's cut loose to vie for himself.
As it happens the vast majority of street people you see in Alberta's two major cities were a) in care as children and adolescents and b)were treated with valium and c) when they have attempted to withdraw have suffered brain damage.        
Then a more recent drug prescribed for "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder" Ritalin.  (remember the out of control kid above who never got his underlying problem diagnosed?) Now we have kids being prescribed a stimulant very closely related to, you've got it, dexadrine and methamphetamine.  In fact, methamphetamine can be obtained on prescription in the US -- in cases of the most extreme forms of ADHD.
Now a kid who is given Ritalin on a superficial diagnosis by a GP can be A)Correctly diagnosed  or B) incorrectly diagnosed.  In either case kid may not like how the drug affects him.  It has been known for kids who don't like the drug to pretend to take it and pass it off to friends.  It has also been known for such kids to rather like what the drug does to them.  It doesn't take long for them to find out that bennies make them feel even better and then, hey, Meth!  And recent research seems to indicate that people with undiagnosed ADHD find that Meth actually helps them.  The problem is that they have way too high a dose and  suffer extreme rebound effects.
You will note, gentle reader, that nowhere in  my diatribe do I adopt a moralistic condemning attitude nor do I suggest that such users of drugs are to be written off as "losers".  In both cases there is a lack of insight, true.  But that arises   as much as anything from the inability of the  institutions and families in the background of these individuals to recognise or accurately diagnose what is going on with these individuals.  
In one case I recently dealt with the Valium dependence arose from untreated sexual abuse the child had suffered when she was 5 at the hands of her uncle.  In the other, the Methamphetamine  dependance had a great deal to do with  2 young men suffering many of the symptoms of ADHD which one set of parents recognized but doctors didn't.  When that boy discovered Meth helped him concentrate he first became dependant and gradually became toxic.  The other boy was poor and cut off Ritalin when he was old enough to work without getting Welfare or having a pharmacare plan.  He was also more likely Bipolar.  When  helped to understand where he was coming from (without browbeating or preaching) this individual was able to turn around and rebuild his shattered life.  

And what would make the drug-pushing posters here not be able to see it, except denial and self-justification...really shameful behavior"

Naah, I'm sorry, Antigen and those of us who oppose the mythology and methodology of AARC are not "drug-pushers"  What is really shameful behaviour is that you, who did embark on truly criminal behaviour (robberies, beatings, theft, etc.)seek to evade or avoid accepting fully personal responsibility for your actions.  That's like the TWINKY defence.  Oh! the drugs made me do it!  How convenient!  
No, You may feel that Dr. Vause's methodology has empowered you to take control of your life, but really, if you still believe that you would be unable to partake of a drug, any drug, in moderaton, without succumbing to excess, then you have not been empowered, but truly disempowered.   For the young man I know, who went through coerced treatment, admits to me that, "if I take just one dose (of meth) I KNOW I'll just go straight back to the gutter.  Too bad,  I suspect that if he had gone the route of the other guy he may  well have succeeded in quite a different way.  
I could go on with scores of example in my personal knowledge but one thing is certain in the drug war, the "common sense" you talk about , first of all ain't too common, nor does it make any sense.
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »
On 2004-10-17 17:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

One more comment regarding AARC: if it had created harm similar to KIDS, the SEED, Straight, etc, then after over 12 years, and hundreds of graduates and their families, where are the lawsuits? I am sure lots of Ambulance chasers would like the chance to line their pockets at AARCs expense if the could find evidence of wrong doing. It happened to all those US based centers.

Well, I know that Dean Vaus was trained directly by Miller Newton. Newton even bragged about branching into Alberta. And I've read in this forum about incidents so similar to Straight that it's hard to dismiss. For example, a girl (I honestly don't remember who) described an incident in which she confessed to Group to contemplating suicide. In response, staff and group shamed her, yelled at her and accused her of the unforgivable crime of seeking attention.

People have the perception of Straight as an ongoing orgy of physical violence. While I believe people who describe weeks and months of newcomer revolt and such, that's not what happened when I was in Sarasota. Probably a couple of times a week someone would get sat on and there were the marathon shouting and shoving sessions in the timeout rooms. But, for the most part, it was days upon days of sweating your brains out, worried about what to say and how to say it should somone stand you up or interrupt you w/ the most frightening question in the world; "What's going on with you?"

In an environment like that, neither you nor I have any reliable way to know what anyone was like before intake. Newcomers who insist that they don't have drug problems or need treatment are not treated very well.

Don't hate the media. Become the media

--Jello Biafra

Offline sweet_grl_with_a_bad_atti

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2004, 08:45:00 PM »
you are a phyco bitch and dont defend aarc they gunna fuck you over 1 day soon you'll c
uts up

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »
If you would all be so patient as to allow me to anonymously introduce myself, no I am not a coward, I am an outsider who has unfaultering loyaty to a friend.  I also do not claim to understand either side of the coin when the debate is the AARC Program.  I have the priveledge and honor to have been chosen and accepted in the role of friend to an active AARC graduate.  I will apologize in advance at this point if any of my observations or opinions offend or are heard as disrespect.  That is not my intent.  I am not an addict, nor do I claim to understand what addiction does to a family or the individual who struggles internally to conquer it.  Some of my thoughts may come from a place of ignorance.  This is why I request the patience of both  sides of the coin.

Over the past few months I have experienced the opportunity of being a friend to an alcoholic who just happens to be a graduate of AARC.  Because of my admiration for this person and the journey she has traveled to become this pillar of strenghth and integrity not only to myself but to my family,(I have children) it brought me to place where I wanted to understand more about what AARC was for her.  I will say I have spent a total of fourteen hours, and approximately thirty six minutes, since the evening of yesterday, trying to absorb and understand every possible piece of material, positive and negative about AARC and Dean Vause.  For no other reason but to attempt to understand the depth of my friends struggle to become the person I am so grateful for today.

At this point I feel it neccessary to say I will not submitt this correspodence without firstly seeking the advise and approval of my friend. (AARC Graduate)  Reason being that above all I respect her direction over my need to be heard.  I am truly in "shock" and feel very heavy hearted by what I have read on this site.  Again I recognize I have no place to claim expertise or do I claim to have a completely informed opinion on the reality of AARC or being an addict for that matter.  What I do know is this.  There are unique people, unique circumstances, and unique perceptions in this world that may not be a fit for all of us.  For my friend AARC was a fit.  Dean Vause is her safe place.  Irregardless of contraversy, or who people and content connect him to, which appears to me to be strongly one sided, I will be forever in gratitude to AARC and Dean Vause for being the "main stay" in my friend's journey,  because without them, I nor my family would have been given the opportunity to experience the magic and wealth of knowledge my friend brings to our life.

Please be mindful that this is from an outsiders perspective and by no means do I intend disrespect towards anyone.  But the "sheer" magnitude of viciousness that I read within this site, from both sides is unsettling.        

My question is, should it not be enough that the people we love are here with us now, in whatever capacity?  Should we not be grateful for whatever process, be it what may, which has them alive today?  I know I am blessed to have my friend and I am thankful every day for what AARC provided her.  

I am a Research Evaluation Consultant and therefore know I have provided myself with fair and measurable information.  This said, I cannot ignore the fact that I place far more credibility in the vehicle which has allowed me the opportunity of my friend, and it would be my wish that all could put aside the attacks and criticisms and just be grateful for those this process so clearly works for.

I know my life is blessed by the fact that my friend is thus far successful in her recovery, and that in all honesty, is good enough for me.

Submitted Respectfully,