Author Topic: Hurricane Wilma  (Read 4743 times)

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »
Don't worry, the Republicans are hard at work doing just that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ally Gator

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
Yah know, seems to me that individual families and small organizations (churches, pta, lodges, etc.) used to take care of most of this stuff. I mean, if you live in Florida, you know the storms are coming. Maybe not every year like the snow up here. But you know it'll come. We always had stored food, gas candles, etc. And we'd fill up the bath tub (as instructed by the tv people) whenever a storm was headed right to us.

Were we the only ones?

Jails and prisons are the complement of schools; so many less as you have of the latter, so many more you must have of the former

--Horace Mann

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 06:03:00 AM »
" Yah know, seems to me that individual families and small organizations (churches, pta, lodges, etc.) used to take care of most of this stuff. I mean, if you live in Florida, you know the storms are coming. Maybe not every year like the snow up here. But you know it'll come. We always had stored food, gas candles, etc. And we'd fill up the bath tub (as instructed by the tv people) whenever a storm was headed right to us.

Were we the only ones?"

Ginger,
I lived in South Florida for over 30 years.  Been through a number of hurricanes, we always had stored water, tubs filled, gas grills, batteries, flashlights and usually a weeks worth of food. I know my daughter had all of this but a gas grill and I think many people did the same thing as her. We used to have frequent power outages in the summer just with regualr thunderstorms. I think the big problem was that it was a Category 2 storm and usually those tend to not be too bad.  I never evacuated unless the winds were over 125 mph as did many I knew.  I think that after the storm when people were able to get outside they freaked.  I never saw that type of destruction with winds 100 mph or under.  I also never saw a hurricane strengthen after it hit land.  From what my daughter and her friends have told me that the damage was worse than all three storms last year combined(which she stayed up here in NC for all three of them).  To be honest I was ok with the fact that she stayed there with this one.  We never thought it would be much of a big deal since she had a weeks worth of supplies.  The freaking out started when FPL was saying 3-4 weeks without power and the reports of the violence happening in the gas line.  Mind you these report were NOT on the news, but through people she worked with or lived by that is actually happened to( guns and knives not just tempers flaring and screaming).  
I realize that there will always be some that take no precautions, but I believe most do.  Her only fault was not filling up the gas in her car and taking out more money.  When I sent her supplies, the reports were no power for 3-4 weeks.  No ATM's for cash to buy from the few stores that would open and no electric to pump gas.  You would think gas stations would have their own generators and that stores could use the old fashion credit card machines (the ones you do by hand) especially in south Florida, IMHO.  
On a good note, she picked up her packages AFTER hours from UPS , God bless those angels that helped her find the place (no street signs and a lot of debris to maneuver around)stayed late and FPL for her power restored late last night.  I personally think the 3-4 weeks might be good PR so when it comes on earlier they will have a much better opinion of FPL and won't complain so much when they get their bill....lol.  After she got home and unpacked the everything...boom...lights back on.....lol  Gotta wonder if she didn't get the packages if it would have come on.
All in all I think most people did take reasonable precautions.
Nance

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »
Well I made it to a computer.  What a ride.

Antigen -Pompano Beach was pretty screwed up.  One of the 20+ towers got hit so bad you can't live there any longer.  My friends apt on the galt ocean mile has power & I'm here for a hot shower.  I waited in line for gas for four hours yesterday.  My friend's car at the Galt Condo was totaled as the wind threw it upside down onto the tennis court next door. They called me on the cell in the middle of the storm.  I, along with my brother and sister bought a boat a few weeks ago (timing is everything).  At the same time my friends were telling me about their car I was watching a boat traveling across the small lake my condo is on.  I was trying to sympathize with them about the car while trying to figure out if it was our boat sailing away.
It turned out not to be our boat. The boat does reguire a nose job(If anyone knows a good plastic surgeon)  Compared to New Orleans we have nothing to complain about.  The cool weather is much appreciated. I spk to jgar and JM and they are fine (and both have power unlike me (day six)
Later.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »
Cleveland I'll try to call you soon or call me if you like so I don't wake the baby.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
Unreal. I hope everyone in the path of the storm is safe.

Just imagine if Florida gets hit with a cat 5 the size of Wilma.  

The destruction will be so huge and the loss of life so great that it is almost unimaginable.

Hurricaine Andrew was just a baby in size compared to Wilma.  IF Wilma or a storm like it is ever the strength of Andrew....LOOK OUT!

Offline Magpie

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
Well I am glad you are okay.  I spoke to others and they have left to visit up in north FLA.  Take care and let me know if you need anything.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »
Ft. Lauderdale, I am glad to hear that you and others in that area are OK. What a time to buy a boat, eh?

Take care!
ally Gator

Offline jgar

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »
Back online again and life is comming back to normal. Power and dsl is back thank God. Hope everyone is well. If we keep having storms like this South Florida is going to be treeless. :cry2:  :cry2:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »
Glad ya'll are ok. Even you, Lauderdale (lol). Sounds like a funky kind of storm. I have one friend who's right on the beach just south of Atlantic. No big problems there, but still no power as far as I know. Then other spots around town are just devistated. I wonder if there were a lot of tornados in that storm?

Either way, I think my little bro in law has had about enough. We're expecting to see him up here by Thanksgiving. Hope he stays.

WHEN SPIDERS UNITE, THEY CAN TIE DOWN A LION  
-- Ethiopian Proverb

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 06:48:00 PM »
there were some tornadoes in the davie area