Author Topic: Memories of First Foster Home  (Read 3097 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Memories of First Foster Home
« on: September 22, 2004, 08:49:00 PM »
My first foster home was only 11 blocks from my grandfathers house.  I did not let on to this fact because I had signed myself in voluntarily, and did not wish to drag my grandparents into what was going on with me.  The father of the host home had served in Vietnam and was a former Green Beret I think.  His sons were pretty cool and everything I guess and I was simply trying to acclimate myself to the experience of being in Straight.  My comrade first phaser brother was a guy who I will refer to as "Norm".  He would grow to resemble Norm in the show "Cheers" as time went on, so please bear with me.  

The oldcomers were Lance and Lewis Cantrell.  They were pretty cool oldcomers to say the least.  Every night at that host home, they would make 2 quarts of iced tea which would be bolted down instantly by me and my 'brother'.  This home also contained an adorable 6 year old sister named Ashley who we would trip over ourselves fawning over. My own sister Sara was only 7 years old and I missed her severely.  

I will never forget one night in particular, when I was about to lay down on my sleeping bag and "Norm" says,"Holy shit, what is that?"  It turned out to be a huge ass banana spider resting on my sleeping bag.  Lance gingerly brushed it into a paper bag and we all giggled on down the stairs to the kitchen an up to the microwave oven.  It must have been around 10 o'clock at night on a Saturday, and Lance and Lewis slapped it into the microwave and turned the bitch on as we all stood in awed silence.  It took about 1 minute 38 seconds on low power to make the damn thing stop moving.  It was cool as hell!!!  Mary, the mom, called out "What is going on?"  "Just making some hot tea mom,"  is what Lewis said.  That was a cool memory of that place.

I remember one morning, I was combing my hair quite a bit, mostly out of a sense of boredom, and Lance snatched my comb away from me.  He started on this shit about that I had security in my hair.  I wanted my damn comb back.  I had paid for it myself, and it was one of my icons of independence seeing as to how it was mine all mine.  I pitched a bitch saying that it was my goddamned property and to give it back.  Norm said ,"What's the problem Bob, it's just a comb man!"  I said, "It's not the comb man, it's the fucking PRICIPLE,!!!!" To which he replied, "What exactly IS a FUCKING PRINCIPLE Bob?"  Does it have something to do with hairdressers you want to have sex with?"  I was fucking flabbergasted!!

They gave me my comb back in the car.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 11:00:00 AM »
Along with Bananna Spiders, another great favorite was to put cock roaches in the microwave also. Why this was funny at the time is really anyones guess, but as 85DJ said. "It was cool". Reading the post again brought back more memories. I remember I did some messed up stuff there in that house. Although it was never brought to the groups attention (Thank God) it was handeled in house. Without going into explicit details, I will say it was the first time I ever "confessed" directly to a persons face, namely the house mother. In addition to apologizing to the house mother...dad was there also. As 85DJ mentioned he was ex-military and that only served to heighten my fear. I was however terribly remorsefull for what I had done and I truely felt horrible. I don't remember exactly how they responded/reacted to my purging of guilt/shame...but I do remember being "forgiven" and I felt "forgiven"....wow, what a concept, and what felt like a brand new experience. To this day as I look back checking my "forgiven status" by others, this incident is the one that stands out the most, perhaps it was my first. (and only?)

That home, to the best of my memory, was the most remarkable. I never really knew what a "normal" house hold was like, perhaps I give them too much credit, but they were the most "normal" people I had known up until that time. I felt safe there, I definately felt sheltered there. I am sure as in any family there was some messed up crap going on behind the scenes that I was un-aware of or simply don't remember. I know that family was one of the primary reasons I was on first phase for soooooo long, I remember thinking to myself that it never really mattered if I went home or not.

For whatever reason I remember it as a type of sanctuary from the horrors of the 9-to-9 grind. As 85DJ alluded to, there was alot of ball busting, but to my memory it lacked the venimious hatred that was latter experienced throughout the rest of my time in Straight. I remember the oldcomers coming into group afterschool and thinking "ahhhh not much longer...and we can go home". I never felt attacked by the two brothers and in fact they were good sports...One of our favorite things to do to one of them was to, as we were about to sleep, was to blurt out..."Hey, can ya hear 'L' breathing?" This for some reason drove him insaine---hearing his on breath repeatedly. Why this was fun? I dunno, I guess I never really knew if it really bothered him or not...but there was a sense of equality...he was no better than I was and after a day of belittleing condemnation it was fun to let our hair down and just be boys.

It was so odd reading 85DJ's account of the Ice-Tea routine. At the time I was reading it, I was drinking a huge glass of Ice-Tea (oddly still a favorite) I almost spewed the mouthfull I had all over my monitor. I began to think about all the feelings I have in regards to Straight. I have said many times that my feelings were mixed. This household, these parents, those oldcomers make up the majority of what good memories I have of that time. Perhaps I was naieve, and maybe inregards to that time period, I am still naieve. Yet, they are amoungst the best memories of my time in Straight. Considering they are among the few (good memories) that I do have...I will continue to call that home, that family, those parents and those oldcomers---Good Memories
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 07:35:00 AM »
I was a newcomer at the Cantrells also. I remember One morning at breakfast there was a large cockroach crawling on the wall by the kitchen table and Lewis just took his hand and smooshed it on the wall, and continued eating.(I lost my appetite). I was also out of town (First person from Atlanta in the program so I later rented the cantrells garage apartment in the back yard for awhile.

Offline Sophie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 11:27:00 PM »
Don't know why I am compelled to share this here but..

One thing I am still totally mystified and disgusted by was one night in "Review" I was stood up and accused of signing myself into straight just so I could get a college scholarship.

I think if I hadn't been so totally blown away by the absolute stupidity of the statement I would would have punched the bitch right in her fucking mouth.  I wonder where she is now?  I wonder if she has a college degree... I do.

Man, I still think I want to punch her in the face..is that wrong?

:???:

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »
You guys lied to your host mom saying you were making hot tea!? Oh, for shame...  :wink:

Did you ever report yourselves?

Time's fun when you're having flies.
--Kermit the Frog

[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline The Butcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »

Nope!  :grin:

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 04:46:00 AM »
I only had three in the time I was in Straight.

My first was the home of Jeff Waldron.  He was a 5th Phaser who would later become a Trainee in the St. Pete Group.  I was the first Newcomer introduced into the Cincinnati group after the split.  (I never did understand why I wasn't put in the home of someone from Cincinnati)

I don't remember his parents too well, but they seemed nice enough.  I certainly didn't always feel welcomed there and at times felt like a burden.

I just remember the adjustments I had to make.  Military showers, sleeping in a room whose windows were bolted shut and the key to the door safely pinned to the inside of Jeff's underwear.  I wanted out, but not bad enough to go there. LOL

Just after Christmas and after Jeff went on Trainee I was moved to another foster home.  But I have no memory of who my Oldcomer was, how I got to and from the building, where I slept, or anything. Perhaps it was so traumatic for me that I've blocked it out.

After we went to Cincinnati Fred Barnes became my Oldcomer.  Fred was cool.  About a year or so older than me.  His folks were and still are very nice.  That was the first home I really felt like I wasn't just a guest, but rather a part of the family.  

The one thing I remember about that house was the alarm clock.  Fred called it "The Beast" (Later to be the name of the worlds best wooden Roller Coaster at Paramounts Kings Island.)This alarm clock was actually a smoke alarm that was hooked up to a digital clock.  The whole neighborhood could hear it I'm sure.

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 02:28:00 AM »
On 2005-05-02 04:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I was a newcomer at the Cantrells also. I remember One morning at breakfast there was a large cockroach crawling on the wall by the kitchen table and Lewis just took his hand and smooshed it on the wall, and continued eating.(I lost my appetite). I was also out of town (First person from Atlanta in the program so I later rented the cantrells garage apartment in the back yard for awhile. "
If your name is Mark,I was your oldcomer for a few nights.And I never worked with the carnival after the program.

Offline groovy1634

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »

On 2005-05-02 20:27:00, Sophie wrote:

"Don't know why I am compelled to share this here but..

One thing I am still totally mystified and disgusted by was one night in "Review" I was stood up and accused of signing myself into straight just so I could get a college scholarship.

I think if I hadn't been so totally blown away by the absolute stupidity of the statement I would would have punched the bitch right in her fucking mouth.  I wonder where she is now?  I wonder if she has a college degree... I do.

:exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim:

:wink:
EOW  

Offline linchpin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
The "bob" references remind me of Drugstore Cowboy..ie " Whats a transom , Bob?"
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Toothfairy_TP/u100.gif[/img]

Offline Dena

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »
I wish I could remember. In a short period of time I had been in several host homes and I only remember a little bit about them. I couldn't even say which one was 1st, 2nd, etc.... I am truly envious at the ones who can remember all of these details. I'm still trying to piece it all together.
time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
Yep this is Mark, I sometimes check out this board to see what everyone is doing these days.
I can't remember your name right off the bat but do remember you if you were the guy who was state champ in wrestling.

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 12:59:00 AM »
Mark,I drove that Canary Yellow Ford Maverick.