Author Topic: Crazy before AARC or because of AARC???  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Crazy before AARC or because of AARC???
« on: September 22, 2004, 05:40:00 PM »
an unnamed boy of 16 enters AARC.  he is on prescribed anit-psycotics.  in his "using" smoked some pot and lied a bit. (normal adolescent behaviour right?)

boy seems to be honest and goes through his feelings as best he could for where he is at with "treament".

once this boy has been in AARC for a while, staff takes this boy off his "meds" and he immediatly changes.
he becomes anti-social, and acts very strangley. he stares into space, does not respond to stimulus.

rap leaders and staff emotionally abuse this unnamed boy. they call him a pathetic looser, they call him a fucking idiot.  clients make endless fun of him.
 he sits on step 1b for 6 MONTHS.

staff does not try to re-administer his "meds".  why would they not  try that to get him to at least respond to human contact?

his parents pay cash for 6 MONTHS of treatment with no results for this poor boy.

what happens to this boy?
he goes for a psyc assesment one day, gets admitted to the psyc-ward.  
imagine that!
after six months of abuse from staff and clients the poor boy goes crazy.
why would they take his meds away? why would they not give them back to him to see if he makes any progess?
now what for the family? 6 MONTHS down the drain.
and i son in the psyc-ward.
what is going on in that place? does anyone really know what they are doing or is it all guess work?
anyone have any answers out there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 12:59:00 AM »
Yes many of us have the answers! But you can see them for yourself simply by looking at the "pro AARC" posts. This type of bully behavior/mentality is what I experienced in AARC. Only it obviously becomes serious when used in situations like "boys rap", which you are probably familiar with.

There are legitimate doctors who may have chosen to take this boy off of "meds" too. However, these doctors would probably A) Thoroughly review the boys medical history first B) Slowly (very slowly) pace him off of the medications and be aware of any symptoms that he is withdrawing to quickly C) Introduce him back to the medications or seek out a new medication once finding his mental illness progressing.

Does the boy feel safe enough to deal with what happend in AARC now?
Is it being reinforced to him that he is not an idiot, and that he will not be punished for being himself?
What are his parents doing about their concerns about AARC?

ADAAC offers therapy for former "clients" of AARC. My personal suggestion for the family would be to seek out a therapist who is familiar with "floating", and to read up on cult recovery.

Thank you for sharing this situation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 12:11:00 AM »
I was in AARC with him in July. He was berrated, mentally and emotionally beaten upon daily there. By the time I ran in August (after being in for 1 month) I was on level 1b as well. To me that says something about the effectiveness and legitimacy of this program.

The person in question, I believe, simply did not have a using problem but a behavioural problem and it was moreso a case of the parents feeding into the AARC-propoganda and being convinced that if they fed Vause's wallet, that their son would be cured.

I have since spent a month in a treatment centre in the United States, and found a far more supportive place of recovery there. There is an "easier, softer way" than AARC, contrary to Vause's twisted views of Alcoholics Anonymous literature.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »
im so glad that you have found another form of treatment which is working for you.  i know who you are.
some of us were quite sad to see you go but i knew you would find alternative treatment and i hope you stick with it.
i hope that the centre you are at doesnt line the director's bank like aarc lines dr vause's.  i feel bad everyday for how much my parents paid for treament when i know i didnt need that much help.
every time i hear them talk about how much money they raise it makes me sick to my stomach. "for the new bulding" right?
if they were just trying to be a humble organization  like they tell us all to be, why would the selfish money hungry bastards need another centre?  shouldnt they just be happy with the one they already have?
oh yeah i almost forgot ,power and authority corrupts.  which is exactly what has happened over there with dean vause.
too much power for that old alky......now he just cant get enough.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »
I'm not sure who you are, but thank you very much for your support. It's good to know that there are some people who still know that AARC isn't the ONLY answer to addiction.

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 12:11:00 PM »
This is a great thread. Welcome to the board.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »
On 2004-09-26 21:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

There is an "easier, softer way" than AARC, contrary to Vause's twisted views of Alcoholics Anonymous literature.

Do tell! If you're not comfortable naming the organization, please explain the method.

I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.  I'm certainly not!  But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!  
-- Monty Python

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline sweet_grl_with_a_bad_atti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
i have an answere aarc can go fuck them selves
i was in there 4 14 months and it was complete bull shit  
       sara
uts up

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 01:04:00 AM »
"sweet girl with a  bad attitude", that's something that they said to you, isn't it?

I'm so sorry that you had to spend 14 months of your youth in there. That's such a long time to take out of somebody's life. I hope you have supportive people around you now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »
I think he was crazy before AARC.  He did more drugs than pot.  He told someone that he did a hit of acid and he was never the same again.  He has drug induced psychosis...not because of AARC. But one thing I don't understand is why AARC kept him there for several months, when clearly he should of been emitted to a psychiatric hospital.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »
Drug induced psychosis isn't an actual medical illness, just the term "Dr" Vause uses. And if I recall correctly he coined the term with one of the original clients who had schizophrenia, which went untreated because the parents were convinced their kid had "drug induced psychosis". Do you really think that one hit of acid would make someone mentally ill for life?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »
http://www.bcss.org/information_centre/ ... hosis.html

What are the Types of Psychosis?

When someone has a psychosis, a diagnosis of a particular psychotic illness is usually given. Diagnosis means identification of an illness by symptoms, so the diagnosis will depend on what brought on the illness and how long the symptoms last. When someone is experiencing psychosis for the first time, it can be difficult to make an exact diagnosis, because many of the factors underlying the illness may remain unclear. Nevertheless, it is helpful to understand some of the diagnostic labels you might hear.

· Drug-Induced Psychosis
Using or withdrawing from drugs and alcohol can cause psychotic symptoms. Sometimes these symptoms will rapidly disappear as the substance wears off. In other cases, the illness may last longer, but begin with a drug-induced psychosis.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »
When someone has a psychosis, a diagnosis of a particular psychotic illness is usually given. Diagnosis means identification of an illness by symptoms, so the diagnosis will depend on what brought on the illness and how long the symptoms last. When someone is experiencing psychosis for the first time, it can be difficult to make an exact diagnosis, because many of the factors underlying the illness may remain unclear. Nevertheless, it is helpful to understand some of the diagnostic labels you might hear.

· Drug-Induced Psychosis

Using or withdrawing from drugs and alcohol can cause psychotic symptoms. Sometimes these symptoms will rapidly disappear as the substance wears off. In other cases, the illness may last longer, but begin with a drug-induced psychosis.

"

The problem is, that it is really too easy for psychiatrists to to be deluded by long-held superstitions and beliefs when they don't have all the information.  Example from a real-life case:
18 year old kills his best friend while in a psychotic state.
Father says that he was having trouble because his son was smoking pot and becoming increasinly irrational.
Trial is held and pot-smoking killer is committed as not guilty because of insanity and goes to Alberta Hospital.
Years later, dad admits that son was behaving strangely as young as 10.  At the same time, son is saying that when he was very young he had been sexually abused by his own father.    
Questions: Was the alleged sexual abuse delusional?
Did the Marijuana cause the psychosis?
If Marijuana causes psychosis why aren't we all psychotic?
If he was already schizophrenic, could he have been using Marijuana as self-medication to calm the anxiety and his feeling that he was going crazy?
We know that MJ may be associated with psychosis in some people, but that does not mean that it causes it.
Too often, I suspect, the appelation "drug-induced psychosis" is too easy a conclusion, especially when people, particularly parents, are experiencing a moral panic when they see their kids smoking pot.
Think of Roszko.  Turned into the police at the age of 16 by a very stupid father because he was smoking the evil weed!
We now know that Roszko had many demons. We may never know their origins, but he was psychotic.  If that was a drug-induced psychosis, though, I ask the question, why is this drug-induced psychosis not much more widespread?      

"In other cases, the illness may last longer, but begin with a drug-induced psychosis."
I think this answer is way too easy an explanation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
""In other cases, the illness may last longer, but begin with a drug-induced psychosis."
I think this answer is way too easy an explanation."

Ok. But until the drugs are taken a way in a controlled, safe environment, how can other problems be discerned? And it really doesn't matter if the psychosis is drug induced or not, once it is chronic it needs to be treated. I personally have only heard the term applied to two AARC clients out of hundreds. Both got extensive help outside of AARC for mental problems.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »
On 2005-04-26 09:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"""In other cases, the illness may last longer, but begin with a drug-induced psychosis."

I think this answer is way too easy an explanation."

Ok. But until the drugs are taken a way in a controlled, safe environment, how can other problems be discerned? And it really doesn't matter if the psychosis is drug induced or not, once it is chronic it needs to be treated. I personally have only heard the term applied to two AARC clients out of hundreds. Both got extensive help outside of AARC for mental problems.  

"

Hmmm,  Only in two cases eh?  So, what are the other 99% of inmates of AARC being treated for?
Please do tell.