Author Topic: The Stockholm syndrome  (Read 2412 times)

Offline SurRobinHood

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« on: December 26, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »
Howdy folks, new guy here
after some hours of reading here no one seems to have considered stockholm sydrome as a reason for why so many have a dedication to their childhood abusers. It seems obvious to me.
Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, allow me to give ya a little of my background. Yea I was getting stoned alot and stole a few cars but I woulda been better off going to jail and serving a reasonable sentance rather the fouteeen months of stting in that metal chair for twelve hours a day (only ten on suday, woo hoo). Enough about me for now.
I'm sure I'm not the only ex-seedling who has wondered about his mental health enough to study it some. I see from reading peoples posts that many have needed years of therapy to deal with the traumas of seedlingdom. Not haveing those resourses I learned on my own.
Sympathy for your imprisoners is well known and documented and I think this was the doorway used to impliment receptivity to the plethora of more reprehensable behavior modification techniques used. After your sympathy was invoked for their cause they could go all B. F. Skinner on your psyche.
This isn't turning out as freindly as I wanted my first post to be so more about me. Yes that was 14 months on my 10 to 10. Why was I the record holder for being on your 10 to 10? I wonder often to this day and that was thirtey years ago. Only recently as my mom was whining about how when I left I didnt call or write till after over a year of living on the streets and turned 18 did I call home, that I googled up this site still filled with wondering. Guess I'm not alone in this not being sure what happened to me thing.
The only ex-seedling I have ever met since leaving was in a Krishna temple where I had gone for a free meal. He had the same vapid look all the indoctrinated seedlings had. He had decided to just let others make his major life decisions and be happy for it. Obviosly they were far kinder to him than the seed had been.
I have always been independent and doing that requires alot of self esteem to invision yourself as capable of taking care of yourself without the help of others. This was excactly the opposite of what the seed needed to turn me into a clone of everyone else. As far as I can tell my feeling I had always been a good person who maybe made some mistakes rather than an evil persona that needed to be wiped out and replaced with a nice complient seedling persona that doomed me to my record for being called newcomer. People came and went and I still sat there 12 hours a day, being walked to the bathroom and being locked in at night and behind gaurded doors all day. Still I never could bring myself to trust those peple or have any real sympathy for their perverted views of the worrld. I tried to pretend of course but it didn't work. They kept me anyway. My mother had to have sex with the judge( he's one of those big names ya read about an I'm looking into messing with his political ambisitions with this info) that sentanced me to get me progressed to old timer. Once able to go home I was able to get enough resources together to make my break for freedom. I remember mom askin why I was wearing my hiking boots to school and being glad she bought my excuse about wet sneakers. I think I was In Mobile Alabama before school let out and anyone would notice I was gone and I kept running till an ocean stopped me from getting farther  away from them. Been here in California ever since.
Well I hope my insights can help someone deal with their issues as I too have spent plenty of time dwelling on what happened to me, as well as I hope you people help me understand some more of it for myself.
This seems to be a good place to end my introduction. You all have my sympathies and I wish you all happiness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ife may be short but it is also very wide, go around the yucky parts when you can.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »
Greetings, SurRobinHood, and Welcome.

There has been some discussion of Stolkholm in these forums. Looks like only a couple of mentions in TSDF, thought.

http://fornits.com/wwf/search.php?term=stockholm syndrome&addterms=phrase&forum=all&sortby=p.post_time+desc&searchboth=both&submit=Search'>stockholm syndrome

Wow, what judge? I know some bone head judge in Florida had me extradicted from Georgia for the 'crime' of being a runaway from Florida back in late `82. I never thought to save any of the paper work. But now I'm curious. I wonder who and how many monkey wrenchers they had on the bench over the years.

Janis, Jimi, Gery, Timothy... Did you HAVE to get so close to the edge to get a really good view?
-- Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »
Robin Hood are your initials TH?

Offline SurRobinHood

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 07:19:00 AM »
Nope. C. S. Chris if that helps. I was in ft pierce till they closed then I went to ft lauderdale until my grand escape in 1974.
ife may be short but it is also very wide, go around the yucky parts when you can.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 09:46:00 AM »
hey Surrobinhood, you are the second person who told me they ran into a seedling in a krisna temple.

Bizzare, no?

After reading your post, I am really glad you found this forum.. Sometimes it is nice to know that maybe it was the world around you that was crazy and not you.  Those of us that also had to run from the seed's "love" understand what you went thru.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 10:18:00 AM »
SurRobinHood,

I would imagine that many people had pre-seed issues they might have needed to deal with at some point, so youç have to consider that when assessing the post-seed need for therapy.

I remember hearing of someone who was on their 12 to 12 for 14 months - some claim to fame.

I read a lot about cults post-seed. It seems that those who are susceptable share some common traits, among them being able to convince themselves that others are right and they are wrong...a need for authority.
ally Gator

Offline SurRobinHood

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »
Greg- Small world but I wouldn't want to have to paint it. I suppose a real "here's my story" thread would be appropriate and maybe even helpfull in some way for something. I could restate that as a vague ambiguity if you'd like.  :lol:  clevland- I think it's pretty safe to say we all had some issues, some more debilitating than others. A few may still have issues.......maybe. It's not really supprising at all for someone to move from one cult to another. Substituting one addiction for another is quite common. We were a sociological experement and much of what happened to many of us have clinical definitions. One of the big things Art balked at, that lost him his federal funding and put Sembler in the throne, was his refusal to have parents sign a human experamentation risk form.
As an additional point perhaps interesting to some. The bank robbery resulting in the phrase "stockholm syndrome" happened while I was at the seed in 1973.
Life may be short but it is also very wide, go around the yucky parts when you can.[ This Message was edited by: SurRobinHood on 2005-12-28 10:27 ]

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
On 2005-12-28 09:48:00, SurRobinHood wrote:

"We were a sociological experement and much of what happened to many of us have clinical definitions. One of the big things Art balked at, that lost him his federal funding and put Sembler in the throne, was his refusal to have parents sign a human experamentation risk form.

Hey, tell me about this  "human experimetation risk form"?  That's a new one I have never heard about. Is there any offical documentation concerning this?  

I know that many seedlings have in the past, and continue in the present,  to suffer from numerous describable, diagnosable, psychological conditions and afflictions. It's not a black and white problem - which is how it ofetn shows up on this discussion board.  There are so many shades of gray when you talk about the damage, the results and the healing from social experimentation programs like the seed.  

I don't know if my parents (1) ever signed anything - other than their checks; and (2) if they did, whether they would still have those docs. It would be interesting to read the contract today.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »
Pertains to Straight and Art Barker.

http://thestraights.com/people/medical- ... search.htm

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
Reading that, it seems it was the early people - PRE-1974 who had the greatest exposure to the unregualted program.  Kids coming after were, of course, exposed to similar risks, but at least there was some public record about The Seed by then so that a half-way diligent parent could have sought and found some information about the program.  Unless I am mistaken, in early 1973, there just wasn't much public information - other than rah-rah proclamations by seed parents and participants as to the actual program.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline SurRobinHood

• View Profile
The Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
Now that I've had a chance to do some more research I see that Stockholm syndrome was just a small part of a much larger and more insidious plan. I think art knew fully what he was doing or he couldn't have gotten all the steps of brainwashing us down to such a regimented institution. Certainly it was poorly executed but the exacting nature of it all reeks of a well planned madness. I like to think I am free of its clutches but as I look on  my cieling I see signs of it in  my life still. Writen on my cieling are wittisisms reminicent of the rules and mottos on the wharehouse walls of the seed. Instead of "think think think" and "first things first" they say "It's more fun to be a pirate than it is to join the navy" and "the journey IS the reward". There are hundreds of them up there now as it's been years since I started writing them up there. Maybe I'm attempting to deprogram myself still useing the same methods that washed my cerebral cortex in the firsat place. Maybe they still got some grip on me. I am now fairly convince that synanon was just part of arts research and that he used the seventh of may reeduction camps of the chinese as a further part of his model for a theraputic community in which he could change the psyches of children. A classic case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. Very dangerous.