Author Topic: Current CEDU Staff  (Read 33682 times)

Offline **PIXIE DUST**

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »
blownaway, that was a very good post, and i agree with a lot of the things you said.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Being considerate of others will take [you] further in life than any college degree\" -Marian Wright Edelman-

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2004, 11:30:00 AM »
Pixie dust, I have an array of different sabres, rapiers, and broadswords. But perhaps you would prefer a bola or sling. Even a slingshot is accurate and intimidating like you would imagine having a heavy rubberband taute and ready and aimed in someones general direction. You would wince too.
Man, I woke up is such a good mood, thanks for your encouraging reply.
-blownaway
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
    • http://suicidegirls.com/members/ilovemikeHunt/
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »
well, when i think of "wicked", i think of evil, malicious intentions.  i suppose whether or not i'd call blind followers wicked depends on how you're defining the term...
honestly, i feel sorry for those people; i'd say that their inability to construct their own belief system rather than adopt another's reflects their fear and ignorance moreso than anything else... it takes a great deal of bravery and self-love to be able to live your own life.  i don't think it's fair to say that all the ignorant people who follow in fear are wicked; you can't blame someone for being ignorant, however, you can blame them once they have the knowledge amd reject it.  
i'll save the term "wicked" for those who know the difference between right and wrong, but intentionally make the "wrong" decisions in order to fuck other people over.

laura solomon[ This Message was edited by: mikehunt on 2004-10-09 16:35 ]
aura solomon

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »

Just trying:

Wow, you earn just $11.30 an hour.    How can you live on that?   You mentioned in your posts that you have a degree.   I cannot believe that you are happy earning so little.  

You also mentioned that you came to this site as a referral from a current student. Thank you, I am thrilled to learn that current students are viewing this site.   I hope that there are a few students who read this site, and know that they are not alone, and that they will survive.

Just trying, you've asked if there are any students who have benefited from the program.    Unfortunately, I cannot think of any that have.  Just trying, you mentioned that you've seen instances of "improvement? in students.  Are you sure that you are seeing improvement?   Or are you seeing a child learning how to play the CEDU game?   Are you seeing a child learning how to close off the world in order to survive the program?  The flavor of cedu program that I am familiar with serves only to quarantine ones soul, and replace it with a hallow mantra of binary boundaries that only facilitate failure upon exiting the program.

Just trying, do yourself a favor.   Please get a better job.   A job where you can earn a living wage.  A job, where you can help children in need.   Heck, DSS, pays better than 11.30 an hour. If you are hell bent on destroying your self by staying a bad job, then at least get some balls.   Communicate the truth of what happens in the program to the student's parents.    In raps, when you see a child being pushed too far, take a stand for that child in the rap [not a staff meeting].  

Good Luck, but from the tone of your posts it sounds like you've already bought into the program.  I hope I am wrong.   It pains me to think that another being has bought into a program that propagates disassociation rather than real healing.

Offline Ottawa 5

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »
You will ALL burn in HELL for challenging Just Trying! Just Trying has been PURGED of his own thoughts! Just Trying deserves EVERY PENNY of the $11.30/hour that he "earns." He is standing up for the BEST brainwashing, emotional paralyzing program in the WORLD! How DARE you challenge him! He and I are sitting and drinking moose cocktail together right now, and you DARE to challenge him? YOU will ALL burn in HELL!!!!!

On 2004-09-30 13:32:00, Just Trying wrote:

"I was wondering if any of you ever saw a student who actually benefited from the program.  I see many at my school.  I notice positive change in many people in just the short time I've been there.  I believe that the three agreements are a good fundamental basis for life in general.  I know there are many who would advance themselves more in the outside world, not so closed off from society.  I also know many who would get chewed up and spit out in the real world.  You can't expect to succeed in life addicted to drugs.  You can't expect to get respect from people engaging in promiscuous sex.  You also can't beat people up every time someone pisses you off and expect to not get consequences for that action.  Someone with one of these problems or a combination thereof will have a very hard time in the "real world".  In that sense, we do help people succeed in the "real world".  I can admit that some kids are misplaced at CEDU.  Can anyone admit that some kids are actually helped at CEDU? "
ll bow down and worship me. I am she who is all knowing. You are all low and worthless as compared with ME. I am she who extolls the glorious workings of CEDU. Bow down and worship almighty ME. Submit to my WILL!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2004, 10:17:00 PM »
Believe it or not, $11.30 is typical pay for floor staff. Group homes and facilities for dependent adults pay between 9 and 12 dollars/hour. That is WITH a bachelor's degree.

Brandi Elliott was very proud when she got her promotion. She had been a receptionist in a real estate office when she was hired at CEDU. She was brutal enough that she enjoyed many promotions, ending up at the middle school. Her starting salary there was $75,000. That was some 8 years ago, I think. I'll never forget it. I thought, "how could such a mean-spirited, ignorant bitch get that kind of money?" She didn't even have her fake degree from California Coast "University" yet. She strutted arouind, enjoying bossing the kids and the staff. She was psychologically cruel, seductive to the boys, and tried to engage in power battles with the therapists. This is because they actually WERE educated. The good ones didn't stay very long.

So, Just Trying is getting the typical salary for a floor staff. Maybe he can be mean to the kids and accuse them all of manipulating. That way, he can be promoted and make more money.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »
On 2004-10-09 19:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

So, Just Trying is getting the typical salary for a floor staff. Maybe he can be mean to the kids and accuse them all of manipulating. That way, he can be promoted and make more money. "

On the salary and working conditions of the Cedu/brown school fascilaties, it seems as if there are several staff that really do want to work with childern and help them.    But maybe before helping others they need to help themselves.  That level of income at a mental health fascility for a degreed professional is just unacceptable.   Waitresses earn more per hour.   A quality admin asst. can garner a salary in the mid 50's.  Have you guys thought about unionizing? SEIU traditionally handles mental health contracts. If the staff really want to improve the conditions at CEDU/Brown a good first step would be to help your self by unionizing.  If you [anon] or just trying is interested in getting more info on how to unionize, please contact Director of Organizing, 323-201-2330 x2151 {Southern California} or In Idaho try [email protected]

Offline manchester

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2004, 01:36:00 PM »
It's not going to happen. I've run several residential facilities (not CEDU/Brown). Most run on a shoestring. Many times we barely made payroll. I've seen CEOs borrow from their homes to pay staff. Liability insurance is astonishingly high. Right now, I work for a company that provides residential for probation kids. Last week, I told the CFO to pay me two weeks late - several of the heads made this decision. We decided to delay our pay so the line staff could be paid on time.

I don't make a huge salary. I have a terminal degree (Ph.D.) and I make $60,000. I work 7 days a week, taking paperwork home every weekend. I have to go in in the middle of the night when stuff is happening. I go to work at 8am and stay 12 or 14 hours. I am not exaggerating here. Sometimes my workday is 16 hours. I do sleep in a bit on the next day when that happens.

I spent 13 years and $180,000 getting educated. I am married, have two kids in college, and a house - along with student loans. My wife and I figure we'll work until we die. She's a therapist dealing with the horrors of managed care. She can't make a decent salary for her education, either.

You would think that with our education, training, and all the money we spent going to school, we'd make twice what we do. Sometimes we talk about going into a McDonald's franchise or something like that. We're only half joking.

Bottom line - there is no money in providing this kind of care for anyone. Why do I do it? I love the idea of helping kids. The kids we take care of  would be in jail if they weren't with us. With us, we have pets, school, socialization, crafts, sports, and HOME VISITS. We provide training for parents on how to communicate respectfully with their kids. We're looking into getting a horse for them. We NEVER have anything like CEDU raps, propheets, or shit like that. Those techniques make things worse. This is not my opinion - this is psychological research. The in-your-face confrontation of the raps and the histrionics of the propheets actually exacerbate emotional upsets and problems.

So, bottom line here - a change in salaries for line staff isn't going to happen. People can take their degrees and do other work. Many companies value someone with any kind of bachelor's degree, because it shows dedication to a long-term task and sufficient intelligence to get it done. People can take their BAs and go to human resources, for example.

On 2004-10-10 10:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2004-10-09 19:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

So, Just Trying is getting the typical salary for a floor staff. Maybe he can be mean to the kids and accuse them all of manipulating. That way, he can be promoted and make more money. "

On the salary and working conditions of the Cedu/brown school fascilaties, it seems as if there are several staff that really do want to work with childern and help them.    But maybe before helping others they need to help themselves.  That level of income at a mental health fascility for a degreed professional is just unacceptable.   Waitresses earn more per hour.   A quality admin asst. can garner a salary in the mid 50's.  Have you guys thought about unionizing? SEIU traditionally handles mental health contracts. If the staff really want to improve the conditions at CEDU/Brown a good first step would be to help your self by unionizing.  If you [anon] or just trying is interested in getting more info on how to unionize, please contact Director of Organizing, 323-201-2330 x2151 {Southern California} or In Idaho try [email protected]"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »
On 2004-10-10 10:36:00, manchester wrote:

Those techniques make things worse. This is not my opinion - this is psychological research. The in-your-face confrontation of the raps and the histrionics of the propheets actually exacerbate emotional upsets and problems.

I'm frequently asked about such studies. Could you please point me to some solid documentation?

Life may have no meaning.  Or even worse, it may have a meaning of which I disapprove.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0912800909/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Ashleigh Brilliant

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline manchester

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2004, 02:22:00 PM »
Ginger, I would love to, but it would take too much time. I really don't know if I have time for this. There is no debate in the therapeutic community about it. It has to do with boundaries, shaming, and inappropriate confrontation. Any textbook on therapy will tell you. I'll summarize:

1) Therapists and counselors are to maintain appropriate boundaries at all times. This includes appropriate self-disclosure. Self-disclosure must be minimal, so as to keep the focus on the client. A therapist/counselor who self-discloses too much is using the client to process his own material. Propheets are a splendid example of this. Staff in groups such as propheets have been described go over all their "dirt" from their pasts, sometimes yelling and crying. This is the POLAR OPPOSITE of what therapists are taught in school. Therapists and counselors are to NEVER do anything of the kind, as it a) places focus on the therapist, b) causes the client to question the therapist's judgment and mental health, and c) sanctifies bad behaviors - "so-and-so used to engage in casual sex and use drugs and he turned out okay..."

2) Shaming is never appropriate - many of these schools use shaming as a behavior-shaping tool. The old addage "kids live down to what you expect of them" applies here. A therapist/counselor is never to shame a client. Clients shame themselves. Even a client who does not express remorse will NOT gain insight into wrong behaviors by being shamed. Shaming will cause such a person to become defensive and it will be destructive to the most powerful tool you have - the therapeutic alliance. Kids who naturally feel guilt and shame will feel much worse when others shame them. This can cause them to become more depresesd and sometimes, suicidal. Many of these schools use peers to shame the kids - you see this in the raps. What actually is happening is psychological bullying. The kids don't gain meaningful insight from this - they only learn to play the game so they can earn privileges and get people off their backs. Irnoically, they learn to manipulate. Intersting.

3) Appropriate confrontation is gently directing the client to HIS OWN insight into something. "You said you felt guilty about stealing but you're planning to shoplift with your friend tomorrow. Talk to me about that." Many of these schools yell in their confrontations, or more insidiously, take a smug, smart-ass attitude and not engage in discussion. There is a way to handle a kid who is blowing off. Taking a smart-ass attitude escalates the kid's rage. Sometimes staff will take a smart-ass attitude and then refuse to discuss the issue with the kid. I have witnessed staff standing with feet apart, arms folded, silently looking into the eyes of a kid who is going off. It may look like the staff is being calm and the kid is out of control, but actually what this is is a subtle and psychologically sadistic maniuplatin on the part of staff. It confuses the kid, because he's wondering how he is blowing up while the staff is quiet. He starts to doubt himself - wondering why he's yelling and screaming at a staff who is saying little or nothing. This is truly insidious. It causes the kind of self doubt that is helpful to no-one. The kid forgets that it is the staff member who intentionally set him off and then stood back to watch the explosion. This power-play is of particular concern to me as it does cause the kid to doubt his understanding of social interactions and he fails to recognize that it was intentional baiting and psychological torment by the staff entrusted to care for and help him. Either one of these things - yelling at the kid or engaging in this psychological crazy-making is detrimental to emotional growth and development.

The bottom line here is that these kids will all grow up, regardless of what you do. They will all become adults. You don't want them to make decisions now that they will pay for the rest of their lives and parents send them to these schools because they are afraid this will happen. For that, they have a purpose. But, to infuriate a kid, to escalate emotional upset, and to model these behaviors of poor boundaries, shaming, and inappropriate confrontation gives the kid more work to do when he leaves. A lot more work.

I recall posts by the ottawas - the real ones. Remember how furious everyone was at them? Remember how superior, smug, and infuriating ottawa5 was? Her attitude was quite a bit like some of these things I have outlined here. And you all were ready to hit her because of POSTS! Imagine being a kid in a facility and this person has total power over you. How must that feel? I can't imagine. I'll tell you this - the goal of therapy should be client empowerment. Trying to break a kid down is just plain wrong.

I hope this helps. I have to get back to work now. Just know that there is NEVER debate in the psychological community about these things. Whenever you are asked, just give them this post. Maybe it will help. If it does not, you're talking to a hopeless case.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »
Thank you for your very informative posts. From the beginning, the things that have disturbed me most about CEDU were the unethical therapeutic practices, lack of boundaries, and peer bullying.  You outlined these issues and their effects quite succinctly.

I wish Ottawa read this post AND responded to it, but she has never actually addressed the benefits of the program in specificity or the very real transgressions that permeated the CEDU environment.

Offline manchester

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2004, 07:38:00 PM »
Thank you. Ive just altered the post - check out #3 on confrontation. I did so to clarify just how insidious and harmful it is to set a person off and then act like they are out of control. Then the parents are told that the kid is yelling and screaming at a staff member who is just standing there calmly. This is intentional baiting, just like ottawa5 (the real one) did here in these posts. It's destructive to one's psyche. My wife has had several former students from some of these schools in therapy dealing with just this issue. We have to be able to trust our instincts - setting a person off intentionally and then standing back smugly helps no one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2004, 06:36:00 PM »
Mark Wasserman is the son of Mel Wasserman who believed that the endsjustified the means.  all you cedu molestation survivors were sodomized so that mark and his assholes could live in palm springs while suffer daily from the abuse they did to you    you were all fucked so those pricks could have there fucking lifestyle.   Wasserman's excuse for fucking all of you was so that his family would not have to sweat one day.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2004, 11:00:00 AM »
Hey, guys... this isn't fair. Braaaandiiii, that cute, sexy, high-class woman was FULLY in support to the highly powerful and effective techniques of the Wassermans. Shame on all of you for defiling the Wasserman name!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Current CEDU Staff
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2004, 04:12:00 AM »
Is he still at CEDU?