Author Topic: Catherine Freer Wilderness Program Death  (Read 9677 times)

Offline cmpsfty

• View Profile
Catherine Freer Wilderness Program Death
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »
I feel that those who choose to criticize a person for having the courage to talk about what happened to them in the "name of help and therapy" should do this without the anonymous.
Whenever I see criticism coming from an anonymous post, I disregard it :wave:   I don't know this person.  I don't know if the anonymous post person has experienced first hand what the other person is sharing with this group.  It's easy to criticize.  How about walking a mile in the same shoes as the other person first, THEN criticize.
I know first hand through my daughters experience what Stacey is talking about.  My daughter was treated the same way up until she died face down on a dirt road.
Keep on talking Stacey.  Those of us who KNOW what you are talking about, and truly care, we are listening.  Remember, opposition lined with intimidation comes in all shapes and forms.  As you draw closer to what is right, opposition gets stronger.  
These programs need tight regulations or abolishment!
As for the anonymous poster child  :???:

None of Nature's landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild.
-- John Muir

"Campsafety is Everyone's Business"[ This Message was edited by: cmpsfty on 2004-05-20 13:41 ][ This Message was edited by: cmpsfty on 2004-05-20 13:43 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
SMEMFUND
\"Campsafety is Everyone\'s Business\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 04:13:00 PM »
On 2003-07-31 20:03:00, Deborah wrote:

There is a photo of this beautiful young woman at Teen Advocates.  :cry:

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.homestead.c ... da2003.htm
------------------------------------------
FYI

The webpage address has changed, the new link is:

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.homestead.c ... erapy.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 04:26:00 AM »
It should be noted that CF has an excellent history of safety. It has been shown that CF treks are safer than a teenager driving thier car or riding with another teen.

Three deaths in ten months is not an excellent history of safety.  Most programs get shut down after "only" one (VisionQuest being a notable exception).

The "research" to which you refer was carried out by Robert Cooley, executive director of Catherine Freer.  He also stated that no "reputable" program had had a death in the previous ten years.  Presumably, those that killed their captives were thereby judged not to be reputable.  Hmmmm.

In determining the risks to the lives of teens in cars compared to those in a wilderness program he made several questionable assumptions regarding the chances of the teen driver being high on drugs and the amount of time teens spend in such cars.  The most questionable assumption of all was that the safety of wilderness programs was comparable to that of the best run youth adventure camps, which is precisely the point he was trying to prove.

In fact, the report isn't research at all: it is a cobbled-together set of assumtions supported by dubious statistics taken out of context.

Offline LauraLee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 10:13:00 PM »
I know of two deaths at Catherine Freer: Erica Harvey's and Corey Baines'. What was the third one?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 02:46:19 PM »
Posts by GAO Witness -Harvey