Author Topic: Rebekah Home 82-83  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« on: September 06, 2004, 04:58:00 AM »
I consider myself a survivor of the homes also.  I too kneeled for over two hours in the middle of the night, endured lock-up, solitary confinement and the many bruises that came with licks.  Mrs. Barrett was the cleaning inspection lady at my time and was very cruel - I can't imagine her actually running the home.  Mrs. Cameron ran the home with the staff of Miss. Vicki (Kermit), Miss. Sue, Mrs. Yoder, and Miss. Jane that I can remember.

The unfortunate thing is that we were all broken but never built back up.  Mrs. Cameron made it clear to me shortly after I arroved that my mother did not love me (my father had died months prior) and that she was now going to be my mother.  Her presence was always chilling.

I thank God every day that I was saved before I came to that place in Hell called the Rebekah Home.  If I had not been I can't imagine that I ever would have been there.

My God is loving and kind.  What they did and continue to do to children is horrible.  They took our childhoods and we will never get those back.  They left us in a place where no one, not even loved ones can possibly understand the pain that we endured - physical and mental. Only others who have been there. I compare it to a Concentration Camp in a so called "free" country.

They preach that everything in the Bible is how we should live yet they themselves have created their own Bible about raising children.  The Bible does not teach to lock your children away because you do not want to deal with the problem.  

With homes like this thriving it just shows that we as parents have given up on our kids and want to pass our problems on to somone else so that we don't have to deal with it.

The Bible says to raise your child in the way that he should go and when he is older he will not depart from it - what about the in-between.  That is called a teenager!

Teenagers just need to be loved, not beaten down physically and mentally!  If we would just stick with our kids - I know because I went through 3 rough teenage years with my son and now that he is 19 I am finally starting to see him come back again.

I did not abandon him or throw him away. I am widowed, I work and it was tough.  I loved him but I did not like him very much at that time.  I won't go into all of the problems but because of my Rebekah home experience I refused to send him away.  I knew that if I could help him not self destruct, then the choices that he made whether bad or good were going to be his choices that he would have to live with.

Not choices that were forced upon him.  He made good and bad ones but after trying everything I finally got couseling for him which was probably one of the best choices I made. He came through it.

Periods were missed, food was horrible, yes we all gained weight in our bellys.  We have to be able to move on with our lives otherwise we will be bitter individuals but moving on does not mean forgetting.

I sometimes wonder how many children are out there that I may have been personnaly responsible for in coming to the home?

I toured with the Ensemble, I gave the testimony in the churches about how the Rebekah home had "saved me".  I said that I was a drug addict and a rebellious teen.  I was none of the above but that is what they wanted to hear.  The better your testimony the more that they will believe that they "saved" you and start promoting you to room captain then helper then Ensemble.

Yes I did what I had to in order to survive.  I remember sitting in the closet with my dearest friend Helen singing Journey songs very quietly hoping that nobobdy could hear us through the intercom.  Why risk something like that? To keep my sanity, to make sure I had not been broken into nothing, to keep fighting and I was a helper!

I remember Mrs. Cameron killing Miss. Sue's pet gerbel.  I never spoke of it to anyone out of fear.  Paula (another helper) was standing with me holding open the back door to the dorm after lunch for Mrs. Cameron and Miss. Sue.  Everybody was inside and we were waiting for them.  They got with 10 feet of the breezway and all of a sudden Mrs. Cameron held the gerbil up and threw it as hard as she could towards the brick breezway.  Miss Sue screamed.  The gerbil just layed on the ground not moving.  Paula grabbed me
and we closed the door.  She looked at me and I at her and she made it clear that no matter what we did not see anything.  We never spoke of it again.

Mrs. Cameron is an evil woman.  There is a dark side that many have seen.  The enjoyement she would have when she gave us licks and the constant intimidation.  Does anyone remember the death prayers that she would threaten us with if we ever tried to run?

The girl that dug her way out of lock up on the second floor and set the alarms off in the middle of the night, jumping out during a storm I beleive her name was Betsy? or Becky?

Does anyone remember Emily?  We called her "piglet."  She got out before me and a few months later her parents decided to bring her back.  She got control of the vehicle and it slammed head on into a semi killing all of them.  Before she left she told me they would have to kill her to bring her back.

So many tragedies - we have to stop these homes.  

[email protected]

known as Tami Wolff
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »
That is a horrible story. Sorry you had to endure that. I went to another school that was spirit-breaking... we didn't get licked, threatened w/death prayers (sadistic!) or have staff throw pets and kill them. It was bad in other ways; like you, we were coerced to say and think we did things we did not. Have you ever spoken to your folks about it?

It makes me so angry because I know people do not really know what goes on at these schools--they really feel these are caring environments to help "troubled teens."  THe stuff going on was so bizarre and insidious at my school I don't think anyone would believe unless they have gone through the program. The worst really is that they break you down without building you up. They should never have aimed to break you down; only to build you up.

Anyway, thanks for your posting.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »
My dear Tami-

I was the daugther of a worker. I saw what you talk about. I feel so guilty I didn't do more to stop what was happening. I want so much to have stopped the hideous abuse that happened there. By the way, Mrs. Cameron eventually caught Miss Sue and Miss Cindy in the act of sexually abusing one of the girls and threw them both out. But Mrs. Cameron was simply a sadist. She was a horrible, horrible, cold woman. I am distraught beyond words that she has started another home.

Offline Lissaxl883

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
I was there too and remember many of the things you are describing. The Cameron's killed my Cockatiel. I had gone into lock up for a night for some infraction and when I got out my bird was never the same. A few days later it went into convulsions and the Cameron's took him away. I was ther for 15 months. I had arrived shortly before Roloff was killed and stayed over my year. I was saved before I went in there but they never believed it.  To survive I had to get saved again. After that I finally made rrom captain and helper and I also toured in the ensemble with the Cameron's. I remember the Barretts too. Now SHE was an evil woman as well. She was very critical when she checked rooms and then when they took over the home all that power went to her head. I remember slip checks, and other totally rediculous things that we had to do. I was on the volleyball team. But nothing ever happened until I "got saved" there. no matter that I had been saved years ealier and baptized. i had to do it all over again.  I would love to chat with you. Maybe it would help us heal.
my email address is [email protected]
Sincerely,
Melissa
y name is Melissa Hammond (was Bossart) I was in the Rebekah Home in late 82 and 83. I had been there about a month when Lester Roloff died. I spent 15 months in the Rebekah Home in Corpus Christie and was just moved one day to look up info. I am 36 now

Offline Lissaxl883

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »
her name was Betsy
y name is Melissa Hammond (was Bossart) I was in the Rebekah Home in late 82 and 83. I had been there about a month when Lester Roloff died. I spent 15 months in the Rebekah Home in Corpus Christie and was just moved one day to look up info. I am 36 now

Offline GentleStormi

• View Profile
    • http://roloffsurvivorssupport.bravehost.com/
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: ? on 2005-06-15 01:11 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »
Hi,

I was at Rebekah in 82'-83' also. I was only thirteen when I went in and it was horrible. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack even writing about it or thinking about.

The saddest thing is it turned my back of GOD and people. I came out and I was ten times more self destructive than before I went in.

The cruelty those people inflicted on us was beyond remorse and how could they live with themselves. I can remember kneeling all night long because someone supposedly stole a knife from my home ed class and come to find out the teacher misplaced it.

I was always in trouble. I went to movie night maybe two times. I had a green bird and he was always getting dirty birdie notes. I don't think he made it three months. Whenever I make a bed I still think I better make sure the corners a perfect hospital corners.

I remember once I got caught cheating in school which wasn't hard to do and they sent me to the principles and he beat me so hard I could barely walk. But the worst part was first thing when I got back into the dorm they called my name and I had to kneel until the had time to give me my licks for cheating then I was put on confinement.

One of the most damaging things that place did to me was took away my ability to get close to other people.

I don't know if you remember me.
My name is Angie Schwab

Offline GentleStormi

• View Profile
    • http://roloffsurvivorssupport.bravehost.com/
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: ? on 2005-06-15 01:12 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
My new e-mail is [email protected]
Tami Wolff.
I would love to hear from people who were there in 82 or 83.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »
yeah, I did the salvation thing too.  I had shaved my head (it was accidental) with a flicker.  Ok, I have to explain this one.  No one would cut my hair because it was very curly so I had the biggest 'fro ever!  I decided to take matters into my own hands with a flicker (remember those?)  anyway, I ended up with a warped mohawk, so I knew I was in trouble.  I "got saved" that night and avoided trouble for a few days.  then I got caught out of my room about three days after and got put on confinement for it.  oh well!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rebekah Home 82-83
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 01:41:00 AM »
But Besty never made it out of that bottom floor... they just said "oh she escaped" . Like no big deal. Besty Benett.
And when I said that she was dead and did not escape, they called me to the office, never giving a reason and best me.