Author Topic: ever wonder how much these schools cost PER MONTH??  (Read 8672 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ever wonder how much these schools cost PER MONTH??
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »
So your parents paid like $6000 a month to send you to CEDU?  I'm not saying thats cheap, but consider this.  I was at a Brown Schools RTC program in San Antonio and that was $530 a night. So thats about $13,500 a month x 24 months = about $367,000.  Cedu was cheap compared to that  :smile:  I can, however, say that it was money well spent.  It sounds like a lot of people had bad experiences at CEDU, which is really unfortunate, cause you were there to get help.  My problems were a little more severe, and thankfully I had a ton of great staff there supporting me and helping me through.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Cypress

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 06:57:00 AM »
On 2005-09-28 08:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"So your parents paid like $6000 a month to send you to CEDU?  I'm not saying thats cheap, but consider this.  I was at a Brown Schools RTC program in San Antonio and that was $530 a night. So thats about $13,500 a month x 24 months = about $367,000..."

Any chance this was a "hospital" or other type of facility that Brown could bill the insurance companies?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
wow...you guys got screwed...in 85-86 it was 2-3000 a month...but then again...RMA probably had lower expenses then as we were the slave labor that built the uncomfortable dorms for the later students to suffer in.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
First of all, I went to CEDU. So I feel as though I have some authority on this matter, as does anyone who went to school there.

It wasn't prison. No matter how much it felt like it, it wasn't prison. There were no bars. No gates, no guards, no guns. While it might have been an "Emotional" prison, it was not a phsyical prison. The place did have some redeeming qualities and while everyone didn't like the time they spent there, I'm sure some people actually did. To be perfectly honest, I do have some good memories of Idaho. It's hard for me to admit, but I do have a few.

While the methods used were not the absolute best, they were acceptable. I realize that some people felt belittled and betrayed, and rightfully so, but CEDU for others was not such a terrible place. I know some people who would probably be dead now if it wern't for CEDU. Then again, there are people I know from CEDU who are dead now. So to say it was hell on earth might be true for some, it's not true for all. I can say that with authority because it wasn't hell on earth for me. I can only speak for myself and I do not mean to take away from the opinions of those who feel differently.

By all means, be pissed. You have good reason to be. Hell, I'm pissed, but I don't allow that anger to penetrate my life now. CEDU is long gone for me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
Ottawa,

You might think that your brother is in college to be a dentist, but the truth is, he suckin some dick for some crack right now...and I agree with Pixi..u dont know what the fuck we've been thru so shut the fuck up

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »
Well I do know what the fuck we've been through and I can still say that CEDU had some redeeming qualities. So Ottawa sees things the only way he/she can: Through the eyes of a third party. Who are you to discount their opinion? So they didn't go to CEDU. But that doesn't take away from the value of their opinion. I mean come on, they see CEDU as a good thing in their family's life, and maybe it was. You don't know the reality of the situation and neither do I. But for you to try to discount their opinion isn't right. And if you want to look at it in a very cynical way, you're being just like CEDU. Trying to push your views onto others who are unwilling to accept them. But that's a bit of a stretch.  

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not advocating what happened there. I'm just saying that maybe there is another side to the story.

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »
There is another side of the story? You mean any good memories justify the fact that the staff were severely under accredited,practiced experimental, abusive therapy, distorted our stories, isolated us from reality, manipulated or flat out lied to our parents, ignored viable medical conditions,fronted fraudulent academics, did not deal with core issues effectively, trained people to spy, bully, and coerce as "healthy" relational boundaries, badgered us to the extent that we had to change our histories to fit their model (do you know how many kids were fucking badgered to death to admit drug/sex/eating bulimia histories that did not exist?), adopted profane,scream jousts as a method of interacting with others, and forced us to live with the insecurity of having staff members who told us of their horrific criminal/sexual/deviant histories and we are supposed to feel SAFE given some of our own traumatic experiences?!!

WHAT THE FUCK? This isn't about pissing and moaning-- this is plain immoral and I can't possibly fathom why good hiking trips with your peers makes up for that. CEDU was just another place where I learned that I should overlook bullshit in order to survive the system and that is fallacious thinking.

I am a teacher now and yes, it is a moral imperative that I steer parents AWAY from shitholes like this.  Imagine my surprise when I came to Fornits and found that unfortunately, Cedu type places and worse are proliferate in our country.

And contrary to what many assholes think--that these "troubled" kids deserved to be fucked with, you've gotta be freaking kidding me. This school wasn't about tough love or natural consequences, it was about fraudulence and abuse.  Verbal and psychological abuse are far more insidious in many ways than just having someone deck you good.

This also isn't about whining because your life sucks. Life is messy.  I'm not some slut/druggie/loser complaining because CEDU sucked many years ago.  (Although it absolutely affected me.) I'm just a Mom/ teacher/grad student who makes mistakes, has successes, and learns a lot just like everyone else. I have a great relationship with my family that we all earned from hard work, love, acceptance, and perseverence.

But this doesn't mean it's okay for me to have an apathetic attitude toward the next wave of inductees to any one of these programs.
hanlea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »
Oh Shanlea, quit your whining. You're a disgrace to the Northeast.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 12:57:00 AM »
Whiny? What an original insult. The same tag applied to anyone who can actually substantiate their end of the argument.  

Ottawa never could tell us why CEDU was the best thing since sliced bread. But hell, if she thinks rampant abuse and inefficacy on every level, along with the ability to recite every lyric to a Neil Diamond song made her son a success, God Bless her.  --shanlea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
I agree, quit your whining.

There is proof that there is another side to the story: My opinion serves as that proof. You feel as though there were many more negative aspects to CEDU than positive, and I agree with you. But what you fail to do is to give those positive aspects credit. Yes, the staff were all of the things you said: Under accreditied, isolationists, etc. But I think that while the negative outweighed the positive, I disagree with you to the extent of that ratio. You can't seem to think of one positive thing to ever have come from CEDU, yet there are at least two people, myself and Ottawa, telling you that positive memories do exist.

Another point that you keep harking on is the significance of kids needing "Tough Love." While you might think '...having someone deck you good' would have been a better solution than going to CEDU consider this: You're a 14 year old kid whose been riddiculed by his peers and family for as long as he can remember (this was my situation, by the way). The absolute last thing you would have needed would have been to be decked by someone. People say that all these kids needed was a swift kick in the ass, well that's bullshit. If I would have gotten my ass kicked, it would have made the situation worse rather than better.

While CEDU was all the things you mentioned, it also was something you didn't mention. And until you can realize that, your ranting and raving has no bearing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »
The swift kick in the ass comment was said in sarcasm.  I was simply implying that verbal/psych abuse is harmful because there are no marks to point to... thus, you have to go further to prove/disprove mistreatment.  Second, I did not invalidate good memories. I'm saying good memories don't justify lack of ethics/therapeutic abuse. That's all. I have great memories of the Wilderness trip and I even liked the manual labor, in spite of the fact it is often referred to as slave labor by others.  But good memories don't justify the mindfucking at your family's expense.

And, as far as Ottawa is concerned, she never gave any credit to those opposed to harmful TBSs in spite of the preponderance of evidence and examples given to illustrate our concerns.  I found this troubling especially since she aimed to open her own school, and the examples cited were so extreme you would have to accuse us of lying to overlook them.  This wasn't a case of "let's whine about being yelled at, boo fucking hoo."

Besides, good memories are not commensurate with benefits of the school, which I asked for.  When I first came to this site, I had a sincere desire to learn the specific tools that were beneficial to students, mainly because I always try to see each perspective and wanted to counterbalance my own biases.  However, I've since realized, especially since becoming a teacher and seeing a lot of children being grossly underserved, that sometimes the pursuit of fair and balanced thinking leads you to accept the unacceptable in an effort to be impartial. There are times in life when you have to stop being impartial and start taking a stand.

I don't want to be impartial when it comes to the lives of minors.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
As far as tough love is concerned, I don't mean the national program. I mean sometimes the best course of action for kids is to face the natural consequences of their choices. Too many parents at CEDU covered up or enabled serious issues, even crimes until the kids spiralled out of control. If my kid is caught stealing, I'm not bailing him out. If my kid drinks and drive, he'll have to deal with the consequences, etc. I'll still love and support my kid, but I won't protect him from facing the ramifications of their actions. So when I use the phrase tough love I mean unconditionally loving them, but making them clean up their own messes. --S

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
On 2006-01-11 06:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"While CEDU was all the things you mentioned, it also was something you didn't mention. And until you can realize that, your ranting and raving has no bearing.    "

The funny thing is, YOU didn't mention it either.
You keep insisting cedu was a positive and beneficial experience, but like Ottawa, you can't identify one specific aspect of Cedu's program that makes it so. Your argument is about as effective as a gun is with no bullets: incomplete,and it will never get the job done.

As for me, I don't have a single positive memory about cedu, and unlike Ottawa, I was actually there.  I'm not going to positive mention memories that never existed for me, and no one else has to either.

Our experiences, however we remember them, all have bearing.  Most of us remember Cedu negatively, and this supports the fact that the negligent and abusive aspects of Cedu's program overwhelmingly outweigh any potential benefits.
Maybe you really do feel that you got something out of cedu, but that does not, and never will, justify the suffering & abuse that the rest of us endured.  

Like Ottawa, you seem to suffer from some false sense superiority, like you believe that: because you identify with the program, this makes you better than the rest of us.  Well I'm here to tell you that you and Ottawa that you can both take your condescending attitudes and shove them straight up your pompous asses.
My experience is as valid as yours.

Ya ask me, I'd say that both you and Ottawa are totally fucked in the head!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
The funny thing is, YOU didn't mention it either.
You keep insisting cedu was a positive and beneficial experience, but like Ottawa, you can't identify one specific aspect of Cedu's program that makes it so. Your argument is about as effective as a gun is with no bullets: incomplete,and it will never get the job done.

As for me, I don't have a single positive memory about cedu, and unlike Ottawa, I was actually there.  I'm not going to mention positive memories that never existed for me, and no one else has to either.

Our experiences, however we remember them, all have bearing.  Most of us remember Cedu negatively, and this supports the fact that the negligent and abusive aspects of Cedu's program overwhelmingly outweigh any potential benefits.

Maybe you really do feel that you got something out of cedu, but that does not, and never will, justify the suffering & abuse that the rest of us endured.  

Like Ottawa, you seem to suffer from some false sense superiority, like you believe that: because you identify with the program, this makes you better than the rest of us.  Well I'm here to tell you that you and Ottawa can both take your condescending attitudes and shove them straight up your pompous asses. My experience is as valid as yours.

Ya ask me, I'd say that both you and Ottawa are totally fucked in the head!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »
Let's see here, one aspect that makes CEDU positive: The fact that I see it as having some positive qualities. What, do you want me to list my positive memories? Would that make my arguement more persuasive?

And I was there, unlike Ottawa. So I'm making the statement that CEDU had some positive redeeming qualities. You see it differently, and that's fine. In fact, your opinion and mine are pretty similar EXCEPT that I have a few positive memories. Not that the positive outweigh the negative, on the contrary.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone that CEDU was the end to everyone's problems.

And I don't suffer from some false sense of superiority. I'm just telling it how I see it. It just so happens that a lot of other people probably see it my way too. You don't have any positive memories, and I do.

Everyone tried to discredit Ottawa because she didn't go to CEDU. Well I did, and I'm backing her up! CEDU wasn't a prison. It might have been hell, but it wasn't a prison.

I'm not trying to be condecending to anyone. Really, I'm not. All I'm saying is that CEDU did have some positive redeeming qualities. Shit, ask parents of kids who are doing well now. Maybe they aren't doing well now on account of CEDU, but who knows what would have happened if they didn't go to CEDU.

Want a personal example: Go ask MY parents. They'll tell you CEDU wasn't perfect, but they'll also tell you that it worked wonders for me. I happen to disagree with them on the amount of "Wonder" it worked, but I do agree with them that it did work.

If you think I'm "...fucked in the head..." because I tried to make the best of a bad situation, well then fuck you.