Author Topic: Anti war protest NYC  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2004, 10:22:00 AM »
On 2004-09-04 17:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"And Jeb Bush allowed Al queda to train in Florida."

I didn't know about that, but knowing what I know about the asshole JEB, I wouldn't doubt it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2004, 10:01:00 AM »
Vote local Libertarian!

Sorry Ginger can't do that either, I can't stomach their stance on pedophiles and sexual predators in general.

They all suck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2004, 10:24:00 AM »
What's their stance on pedophiles and sex preds?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »
Since it's election year everyone's stance on everything is all over the internet. But in a nut shell libertarians believe in the basic right of individual liberty and personal responsibility (among other things of course.)

Translation for sex offenders:
No restriction of where homes can be bought (ie next to the daycare or elementary school) this would infringe upon their rights.

They call the sex offender registry the "Scarlett Letter" as it opens them to harrassment from the communities where they live.

Chemical castration is not ok either as Depo Provera denies sex offenders to the right to reproduce. Also the Depo is used to curb sexual fantasies and desires thus infringing upon their freedom of thought.

The list goes on and on and is open to debate on both sides. But individual liberty is for everyone, sex offender or not. Meaning one child receives no more individual liberty than a paroled pedophile.

That's why I said none of the parties are perfect and all must be researched before you sign one with one.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2004, 12:16:00 PM »
That all sounds very horrible, until you remember who's defining the term 'sex offender' and how they go about it.

Under the current system, your life and career can be ruined by a vindictive anonymous tip.

Do you honestly think that, just because the guy who moved in next door was legally able to do so that proves he's not a pervert? Do you think the sex offender registry laws absolve you of the responsibility to learn something about the guy before you trust him around your kids? They don't. They just provide a false security and ruin the lives of some innocent people.

People who fear freedom live an illusion.

Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following
pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them
general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong,
gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises
at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom.  But the
tumult soon subsides.  Time makes more converts than reason.
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »
I don't fear freedom. I believe in freedom AND personal responsibility. Meaning of course I want to get to know the nieghbor before my kid goes and plays there. Of course the sex offender registry is not perfect or the only thing one should do to protect your children, all that goes without saying and is the personal responsibility part. However I want at least a chance to know if the janitor at the school is a pervert, or the neighbor is before I buy the house next door. In the end I want all children to have the equal liberty that the sex offenders have. So you see I don't fear freedom I want it desperately for all children, the kind of freedom that allows parents to make an educated opinion. Without anyway to track these people how could you know who they were? Normally pedophiles are the ones that people knew for years and "were so normal and sweet, seemingly." Is the registry perfect? Of course not but you can't leave everything to intuition. Just b/c John Doe has befriended me for years doesn't mean he's safe with children.

As for the false accusation thing as far as I'm aware only convicted sex offenders are on the registry. Therefore your arguement is with the judicial system and a whole new debate.

But that people who fear freedom live an illusion is a pretty typical libertarian come back (straight from the handbook).

I still think they all suck and will continue to do my research before I endorse a particular party.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »
On 2004-09-07 10:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

As for the false accusation thing as far as I'm aware only convicted sex offenders are on the registry.

By law, a college kid who gets way too drunk on Spring Break and gets caught relieving himself on a tree in a public park can be marked as a sex offender for life.

The Libertarian platform against the sex offender registry is based on the fact that it can't work and that it does, invariably, harm innocent people. Ineffective and harmful, just like campaign finance reform, despite anyone's fond wishes to the contrary.

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
--Rep. Robert L. Henry, TX December 22, 1914 (quoting Lincoln)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »
That is true and a point I almost put in my last post. However, at least in my state they are registered and the offense listed (ie felony or not) and a general description of the offense. So felony rape of child is not listed as the same as urinating on tree. (By the way public urination is not a registerable offense here) But I can still see the direction your taking with that arguement.

Also the registry is only one of the points I was trying to make. Compared to the republicans and democrats whom I don't subscribe to either they are the easiest on sex offenders.

But alas this is not a political forum. I just posted b/c I found myself leaning toward the Libertarian party until I found a few what I consider huge differences in my beliefs and the libertarian way.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2004, 02:41:00 PM »
All registry laws can be searched on-line. I check about 10 states and so far all of them only require registering for offenses with children or where a violent act was commited. So have no fear college tree urinators your safe!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »
That may be the letter and intent of the law. But I've read of cases where a simple indiscretion like taking a leak on a tree (in a park) was charged as indecent exposure. Never mind that it was night time and no kids around.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
-- John F. Kennedy (1917-63), U.S. Democratic politician, president. Speech, 13 March 1962, the White House.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »
On 2004-09-07 11:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

But alas this is not a political forum. I just posted b/c I found myself leaning toward the Libertarian party until I found a few what I consider huge differences in my beliefs and the libertarian way.

It all comes down to the same thing. The Dempublicrats keep their following by making promises they can't keep. As long as the majority is happy believing and paying (dearly) for this kind of fiction, we're all pretty much screwed.

It takes a village idiot to believe that a family needs instruction from the government to raise a child.
-- Anonymous homeschooler

Offline thepatriot

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »
On 2004-09-04 05:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The democratic party is trying to divide the country down party lines?   Geez, where have you been  buddy?  Both parties are trying not just the dems.  And, it's the dems that have the vision for America.  The Repubs have a vision for the "haves and have mores". And like it or not, anon, that ain't you."

Anon....the Dems and the Repubs are the haves, we are the have nots neither has a vision for this country, they are all members of an elite club that is out for themselves not you or me. Kerry and Bush are one in the same with different arguments. Think about it Kerry is the BEST they could come up with to run against Bush.
arasota Straight Escapee

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2004, 09:41:00 AM »
On 2004-09-07 13:40:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2004-09-07 11:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

It all comes down to the same thing. The Dempublicrats keep their following by making promises they can't keep. As long as the majority is happy believing and paying (dearly) for this kind of fiction, we're all pretty much screwed.

It takes a village idiot to believe that a family needs instruction from the government to raise a child.
-- Anonymous homeschooler

"

Unforunately they all make promises they can't keep. If you think one or two libertarians can rush in and save the day, well let's just say that isn't ever gonna happen. The way the system is set up money rules. This is a capitalist society, libertarians will never have power. Why b/c they are still considered a fringe group by mainstream society. Sure an occassional politician will be elected. So are celebrities every once in a while, what more do I need to say on that?
Personally I love the overall ideas encompassed by the libertarians. However the practical application won't worked for all b/c a system where all have equal liberties and freedom isn't possible. The book Animal Farm (although not about our political system) is a great example of the difference in ideals and application.

So we are screwed anyway you look at it.

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »
The only hope for this drug-addled nation and the "dry druggies" who call themselves it's citizens is a radical redesign of the culture--what is needed is to turn the nation into one large Straight, Inc. "Big Group".  That's right, druggies, America needs to be converted into a wholly-owned subsidiary of the new, improved, all-ages Straight, Inc. v2.0!  Instead of a President, we would have an Executive Director (Me, of course) and instead of various bureaucracies and legislative bodies, we would have Executive, Senior, and Junior Staff.  Imagine how much more efficient that would be. And the best part is everyone would be getting Straight!  You wouldn't be able to vote until you Seven Stepped, and even then the only candidate would be me, so there would be none of that election year frivolity to distract you from the Program.  I can't wait to see my first, hand-drafted copy of the Steps enshrined in the Smithsonian (which will be renamed the Sembler Institute) in place of that outmoded, useless piece of toilet paper, the Constitutioun.  Only when America has embraced the philosophy that I set forth in my masterful treatise, "Gone Way Down- Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease" will society live up to it's potential.  I think the first order of business will be to replace that vulgar English drinking song with "I Am Straight" as the national anthem.  Then, we'll make food stamps good for only PBJs.  After that, who knows?  Maybe one day, I, Dr. Miller Newton, will be crowned Emperor of Earth!  Oh what Serenity that would bring to the masses!
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Anti war protest NYC
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2004, 06:02:00 PM »
On 2004-09-08 06:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

If you think one or two libertarians can rush in and save the day, well let's just say that isn't ever gonna happen. The way the system is set up money rules.

I don't think anyone's counting on one or two libertarians to come in and radically change the way America does business. What we're working toward is for more of the general public to recognize that the libertarian platform is the only one presenting itself that even aims to protect individual property rights and individual liberty. The idea isn't really to have a Libertarian president, but to force libertarian ideas into the debate and pressure the leading parties to become more libertarian in the same way the Social Democrats have done over the past century.

So vote local libertarian, but not necessarily Libertarian. Get it? Ron Paul is still a Republican, but also a strict Constitutionalist. He hasn't changed, his party has. He'd have my vote if I lived in his district or if he were to come back 'home' to da Burgh.

I don't go lookin' for trouble. I just keep a little in a box should someone come by who is.
--Bill Warbis