Author Topic: Aspen Education Group: Any former students?  (Read 34987 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Aspen Education Group: Any former students?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
I was at Aspen Achievement Academy in either 1993 or 1994. I was in group 203.

I didn't like the program while I was there, but, believe it or not, I do have some fond memories of my time spent there. It has become an integral part of my childhood memories and has shaped my life beneficially.

After I left AAA I got "better" for a period of about 6 months, then really went off the deep end. I became very heavily involved in drugs/alcohol/general delinquency.

I had an awakening myself in my early 20's and realized I needed to do something myself. I was able to draw on experiences from AAA and came through to become successful and a contributing member of society.

I'd love to reconnect with couselors/students from class 203.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2005, 08:13:00 PM »
Please do something about Academy at Swift River - they are not licensed by the state.  Let us know if you all take any action.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »
Why are you specifically concerned with Academy at Swift River? Are you former students or employees? What would you like to see happen re: ASR and why are you asking the list in general? Are you not able to do something yourself? (I don't mean that as an accusation.)

So more info, please?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »
Considering sending my 16-year-old son to ASR but afraid of making a bad decision.  What prompted your concern re: licensing (I did not realize they were not licensed -- as a school or as a treatment facility?)?  Is your question the result of a bad experience or are you also in the decision-making stage?

Thanks.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
On 2005-09-16 09:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Considering sending my 16-year-old son to ASR but afraid of making a bad decision.  What prompted your concern re: licensing (I did not realize they were not licensed -- as a school or as a treatment facility?)?  Is your question the result of a bad experience or are you also in the decision-making stage?

Thanks."

ASW is a confirmedly abusive program.  There is copious evidence showing their various problems including unlicensed counselors, unlicensed teachers, staff with unaccredited degrees, physical and psychological abuse of their clients and a long list of other trespasses.

Check the ASW threads on this site, and, by all means, check with ISAC.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
What's ISAC?

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »
I am urgently trying to collect relatively recent accounts of kids who've been through any Aspen Ed. program! If you can write a detailed account of your experience at AAA it will be included in a significant piece of research that I am gathering and will publish. It can be anonymous, but I'd need to know who you were or you can sign it. Your stories are the only way to penetrate the secrecy. I know it's tough to write these things and I wouldn't want to push any kid sore after release who isn't ready to rehash but if you are capable, please, please write!

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »
On 2005-09-16 17:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What's ISAC?"

It's a watchdog group that collects information on fraudulent/abusive programs.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »
New forum on Aspen
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewforum.php?forum=48

To be an atheist requires strength of mind and goodness of heart found in not one of a thousand.
--Samuel Taylor Coleridge, English poet, critic, journalist, philosopher

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »
yes i went to aspen achievement academy and can give you all the details of my story i still have all my journals from there and all my stuff clothing the survival pack that they made us make every day out of tarp to carry all of our stuff in i still have my bow drill set that we had to make fires with every night to be able to eat hot food.....if you still need a good story from aspen i would love to give you my story its a good one....my name is laura and my email address is [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2005, 11:57:00 PM »
My experience with SUWs of the Carolinas, an Aspen Wilderness camp has so far been very good. I am basing this on the letters that I am receiving from my daughter and the weekly conversations with her therapist. My daughter is 14 was just expelled from a boarding school and has major issues with being adopted and her learning challenges. I'll get a better sense of the truth when I pick her up next week. But from what I can tell she is in a better space than she was two months ago when she was threatening to run away, drinking, and treating me like crap. Hope this helps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »
Please do not let them talk you into sending her to a long term residential program, which they almost always try to do. If you are tempted, please seek help at home first, with a competent professional. Many of the programs out there do more harm than good, and very few offer any type of real therapy. Also, in case you aren't aware, many of the residential programs have no licensing requirements and are subject to no oversight by state child protective agencies. Montana, for one, has absolutely no regulation of private residential programs. Beware of any facility that limits outside contact and restricts family visitation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
We just visited Aspen Ranch as a possible placement for our son who is currently at Redcliff Ascent.

I didn't care for it personally.  They had a nice facility but something didn't feel right.  

We got to talk to several of the kids and ask them questions but I had the feeling that they didn't feel able to really talk.

The food looked pretty distastful as well especially considering you pay almost 7K a month.

We went to another facility in New Mexico and the feeling was totally opposite.  The kids were all talking and smiling and eating pizza and and a healthy green salad.  The school was clean and the kids just seemed more relaxed.

Could be that this one was non-profit where Aspen Ranch is definately for profit -- big profits.

As a Parent I would say that if you would consider any of these places, check them out up and down.  Check out web sites such as these as well as the state and local authorities.

Check out the local newspaper for stories.  You can also try to call the local law enforcement people to see if there have been any complaints.

There is no substitute for a personal visit. Show up early or unannounced... Stay a while and look around -- if they want you to only see what they want you to see you will be able to tell that there is something not right.

The one we chose let us have free run of the place.  They spent quality time with us and let us go where ever we wanted and talk to who ever we wanted and they also let us walk around on our own...

Big difference -- If you get a bad vibe at all -- trust your gut.

Good luck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »
yeah i went to aspen achievement academy and i was there for over a month and got kicked out i ran away all the way to a town in one nite 22 miles and didnt get caught till later the next day......  i have a huge long story about aspen that no one else has because not alot of people get kicked out for being there over a month...  well my email address is [email protected]
i still have everything from aspen the sleeping bag all my clothes everything that they gave me all the school work we had to do..... has anyone been there lately.. i heard that brat camp 3 will be filmed at aspen in loa utah....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »
My son is currently at Aspen Ranch in Loa.  I just came back from a long Thanksgiving visit.  The last visit was in October when there was a lot of firing of staff and new managment.

Matt Alexander is in charge and he seems to be a good guy.  The therapist and teachers also are very good and dedicated.  Non the less the program itself has many flaws and at 7100 a month I feel it should be flawless.

I don't really see any real abuse, yes they are a little hard on the kids but it's only because the babysitters as I call them are not smart enough to figure out the rules.  They can't figure out the difference between freedom of speech and negative talk therfore the kids cannot voice there opinions as freely as they wish.  Also, the condition of the school is a shamble the ropes course that they sell you on has not been in working order in 7 months.  They sell you on the idea that if you have a bright child, which I do he can excelorate in his studies, well he really can't if the library and computers are not available on the weekends to use. Also, the food is really disgusting, although there are nice cook outs and they have treats now and then.

I'm in touch with many other mothers and we are always visiting talking to the kids and snooping around. I do agree that I don't think that it's the answer  

to everything but if you have a kid that might end up dead from drugs or alchol etc. It's a fairly safe place and right now the staff is pretty good.

My son wants to go to another boarding school one that is a little more free one without levels and more demanding in school.  He does not have a substance abuse problem he is very bright but is suffering from deppression and has to work at his own pace in school.  He might have PDD a very slight case.  I was looking into Oak Hill Academy in VA or Hyde school in CT anything bad about those schools?  Any suggestions?  He is great at debate loves the japanese language excels in verbal skills is weak in math and science.  Nee!
 ds struc
ture and a good therapist.  Thank you KK:)