Author Topic: Aspen Education Group: Any former students?  (Read 35116 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Aspen Education Group: Any former students?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2004, 04:43:00 PM »
I just got out of Aspen Achievement academy on September 29, 2004. It sucked, it didnt help with anything except giving me more ideas on how to get what i want from whoever i wanted it from. The moment I came home i was back into my old habits. That program was a waste of 7 weeks of my life. Not to mention I just dissapeared from everyone at home when the escrots brought me there. My back still hurts from carrying that pack
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »
please let me know more info on aspen academy in loa, utah. i am considering sending my son there in the next month or so.  he is currently at suws wilderness program & they're recomending Aspen Ranch.

Offline mudbone357

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »
Hi,
I was at Aspen Acheivement Academy from January to March 1994.  I don't know anything about Aspen Ranch, but if there's any connection between that and the Aspen program that I attended in Loa, I would recommend not sending your child there.
The conditions were subhuman, there physical difficulty of the program caused multiple injuries to children in my group, and they even caused the death of a child later in 1994.  Your child will be deprived not only of physical neccesities, but also of their dignity and self respect, as they are broken down physically and mentally until they can be reshaped by the program, which in my case did nothing beyond giving me years of nightmares.  
I know that there really are children out there who need outside help, but sending your child to a program like this is outside of what can be considered good parenting.  Maybe look into some kind of problem-specific program, ie. a drug rehab program, or short-term inpatient psychiatric treatment, coupled with out-patient therapy.  But, please don't send your child to these people.  They have no accountability and they abuse children.  Thanks, and if you need to talk to someone about it, feel free to IM me.  :smile:
ever Again

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2004, 02:02:00 AM »
My daughter's best friend was kidnapped at the end of August 2004 and taken to Aspen.  We just got a letter from him.  He hates the place.  His father says he will be there for THREE MORE YEARS.  His name is Jesse Zipperman.  Did you meet him?  How can we communicate with him, GET HIM OUT OF THERE.  His father is a psycologist with a very smooth-talking story.  

CPS says the father has a right to send his son there.  Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any sugestions.  I am asking everyone I know to send Jesse letters and post cards.  AAA, Loa, Utah 84747.   If Jesse gets a thousand letters, maybe they will be nicer to him?

Offline mudbone357

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 04:46:00 AM »
Hi,
I'm sorry, but I was there over 10 years ago so I haven't met the Jesse that you talk about.  And, as far as what you can do to help get him out, I really don't know any legal recourse that you could take to try and get him removed from the program.  The reason that so many of these programs are located in Utah, is it's lack of child protection legislation, and the difficulty to work within it's system as an outsider.  For example, in opposition to the regulations afforded for doctor-patient confidentiality in all of the other 49 states in the union, Utah has no such protection for children; therefore, they can take what should be protected speech between the kids and the therapists, and pass that information on to their parents in an attempt to get them to commit their children for longer periods, by twisting their words and secrets against them.  
I am really sorry that I don't have any good news for you; I had friends who wanted to spring me from the two programs that I spent 3 years in, but with no success.  I wouldn't recommend it either, as doing so would constitute kidnapping.  It's a terrible bind.  If you have any other questions, or just would like to discuss their situation, please feel free to IM or email me.  Good luck, and take care.
ever Again

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 05:10:00 PM »
yes im a former student at aspen achievement academy if you have any questions about it my email is [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »
yeah there is some definite negative stuff that went down at the school..but as speaking as a former counselor at the school i know that all the staff there that i was associated with truly did care about the kids there...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »
I would like to know what else happened at Aspen Achievement. My father is trying to send my brother there and I have heard so many bad things about these wilderness camps. please respond.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
What kind of negative stuff? I am fearing for my brother.

Offline mudbone357

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »
Hi,
the negative things that were going on at Aspen when I was there in the early 90's ran the gambit abuse, from witholding of food and water to physical restraints all the way to serious danger from exposure and exhaustion.  I was in no way an easy kid to deal with at that time, but I was also detoxing from a serious Herion and Cocaine problem, and was denied any type of medical assitance. Other members of my group who refused to eat or drink would still be marched up to and exceeding 10 miles a day, and many of them collapsed and were injured.  On a solo period a boy in my group was cooking unsupervised with pork fat and received 3rd degree burns on his legs and pelvis.  When I collapsed on the second day from lack of food(they give you no food for the first 72nd-ish hours), I was dragged by my backpack (which consisted of nothing more than a tarp tied together with a seatbelt strap, and weighing 100lbs.) for almost a mile over rocks and through dessert plants and the occasional stream, and all of this while only weighing  120lbs. myself.
This program is criminal and negligent, and the fact that it has not been shut down is a testament to the absolute absence of children's rights in the great theocracy that is the state of Utah.
No child should be forced to endure this torture; it is child abuse, no more and certainly no less.  
I don't believe in God, but just in case, I'll pray for the children who now inhabit that God-forsaken stretch of desert.  They need it. :  :sad:
ever Again

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 03:03:00 AM »
It's interesting to me (being Jewish) and having moved to Utah from California, how absolutely backward the rest of the country is with regard to "Mormons," or "LDS" people. In the treatment industry it happens that the state has effective laws making it a good place to have such businesses. But without fail, when I see negative press on the treatment industry, these amazingly backward, self-righteous bigots from around the country (who obviously know virtually nothing about Mormons) spout stupidity like the Mormons are behind it all, and that they are somehow inbred and all related. Hello! They all have horns too, stupid! Well, bigots always need a soapbox to stand on. I guess this is just as good as any. But honestly, I've never known a more generally sophisticated, upstanding group of people in my life. It amazes me that they are so obviously "normal" notwithstanding everything I heard about them before I got here. So are they dominating this industry? I doubt it. People are populating this state from all over the country. But if they do dominate the industry, do you know why they do? Because the rest of the country is morally bankrupt, they're destroying their children, and the Mormons are the only ones able to provide any kind of intervention (because their kids are sane). I look at these posts and it's no wonder your kids are falling to pieces. They were raised by you. Stop pointing at the Mormons, an industry, and go look in the mirror ..... Bigots.  :flame:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 03:49:00 AM »
Yeah, I guess that's why Utah is the Prozac capital of the world.

Here's a clue. These people who calim that Mormons dominate the troubled parent industry come to know that's true because THEY LANDED UP IN AN ABUSIVE MORMON TREATMENT FACILITY!

And there happen to be a whole lot of them. Do Mormons dominate the industry? I honestly don't know. I thought Bethel was a Baptist place, but I was just fooled by the name. Pretty sure Mission Mountain is Baptist, but I could be fooled again. I'm pretty certain that VCA/Rolloff/Rebeka is Baptist. So there's one that's not Mormon. Where did DeSisto come from? And how does the Straight line of programs compare, by size, to the CEDU/Provo line? I don't know. If you want to make your case, try looking into some damned FACTS!

Sorry, I'm particularly offended by your remarks because they're so DAMNED ignorant! Don't you know that you sound just like a Nazi sympathyzer (like, for example, Henry Ford or Prescott Bush) cir 1940? "Aw, people are so quick to judge the good Germans! They say such terrible, unbelievable things!"  :roll:

Sometimes terrible unbelievable things that people say turn out to be true.

If you ask the Government for the right to assemble you deserve to be told no .

--Jim Lesczynski, Manhattan LP chair, on "unorganized" gathering @ Central Park

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »
You mentioned your child was at SUWS wilderness camp (in Idaho?).  How do you feel about that program?  It has been recommended for my son.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
I was at the academy in 1994 also and am hoping to find out how everyone tured out.  Do you think that you may be able to help?  When did you come back home?  Thanks alot!  
Mindi

P.S. The reason I ask is because I have managed to block most of it out, and would like to know what I have forgotten.  I guess it was just to traumatic for me!! (: