Author Topic: Treatment of Major Depression, Suicidality and Self-Injury i  (Read 1646 times)

Offline anppd

• View Profile
Treatment of Major Depression, Suicidality and Self-Injury i
« on: August 03, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »
I would like to know how most of these places WWASPS aside (I know enough) treat kids with major depression, suididaility and self-injury (without substance abuse or conduct disorder). Drugs, any REAL psychotherapy at any of these places, DBT,?????

Thanks. It's urgent. Trying to help someone

P.A.D.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 11:32:00 PM »
Here's a summary found at Struggling Teens from 2001. Seems to suggest that programs are most successful with Suicide, Sexual Permissiveness, and Run Away. Things any good lock-down or prison would be successful with.

The key remarks to notice are:
1/3 were negative or unenthusiastic in their approval indicating they didn't feel they got their money's worth, Suggests inappropriate placements are happening too often, Suggesting that programs promised more than they could deliver.

http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... /oe02.html

526 Participants
261 Parents and Adult Ex-Students
265 Grads, Left Earlys and Currently Enrolled

Referals:  
Ed Cons 76
Woodbury 87 (Woodbury conducted the Survey)
Word of Mouth 55

Behaviors that resulted in placement:
158  Drugs
122  School Failure
105  Rebellion
53   Anger
47   Law Breaking
37   Run Away
25   Negative Friends

115 Programs Represented:
9   Drug Tmnt
18  Long term Wilderness
35  Behavior Mod
37  RTC/ Psych
47  Short term Wilderness

Obeservation: Parent and Professionals speaking different languages which could lead to a lot of subtle but important miscommunications. Questions were open-ended, parents used their own descriptions.

Rating    
0=Harmful  5=very effective/appropriate
145  rated program a 5  
23   rated program a 0    
Average:  3.82
Note:  1/3 were negative or unenthusiastic in their approval indicating they didn't feel they got their money's worth.

Highest Satisfaction Ratings:
Sexual Permissiveness 4.7    
Suicide 4.6
Run Away 4.2
Suggested reason- structure and staff supervision.

Lowest Satisfaction Ratings:
BiPolar 3.5
Rebellion 3.67      
School Failure 3.7
Suggested reason- attitudes, abstract and harder to impact.
Suggests inappropriate placements are happening too often.

23 with Highest Satisfaction Rating used Local Child Care Professionals (Psychs, Therapists, Ed Cons)
16 with Lowest Satisfaction Rating were refered to programs by other programs

Strengths of Program:
160 Staff
57 Structure
47 Therapy
29 Parent Support
24 Communication

Common Weaknesses:
62 Communication
56 Staff
23 Turnovers

Highest Satisfaction Ratings:
Emo. Growth   5
Aftercare     4.75
Consistency   4.56
Prog Planning 4.54
Communication 4.46

Lowest Satisfaction Ratings:
Therapy    1.67
Misled     1.89
Suggesting that programs promised more than they could deliver.  Some participants desired more therapy.

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2006-06-11 14:07 ]
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »
so, lock them up to change their libido or depression?

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »
Children with depression are treated no differently than those with substance abuse problems or  gang affiliation.  This truly is counter to established guidelines for treatment. A patient with depression should be given opportunities to build self esteem. Severe punishment will only cause them to sink into a deeper and more dangerous despair. There have been many children who have committed suicide while in placement. Children with depression are often treated with cruelty instead of compassion and kindness. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In residential care most are treated the same and most are highly punitive.  
This type of treatment is counterproductive for a depressed and suicidal child.  

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-- Aristotle

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »
"Seems to suggest that programs are most successful with Suicide, Sexual Permissiveness,
and Run Away. Things any good lock-down or prison would be successful with."

Um... how does being locked up or put in a prison help with suicidal thoughts?

And being locked up and repeatedly punished will make them unable to have sex or run away, obviously, but how would that fix the problem when they get out?

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 02:00:00 PM »
bump
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 10:54:00 PM »
Seems to me that they may be taking those perceived pathologies that are most likely to be either entirely in the imagination of the parents or go resolve themselves.

Remember that some of these places classify piercings (other than females having both ears pierced) as self mutilation. Suicidal ideation is nothing to sneeze at, but a pissed off 13 year old shouting "Ah! I just want to kill myself" is not necessarily driven by real thoughts of suicide. Major depression is completely subjective.

So, again, the Program and a buck fifty will cure teen angst in exactly the same way as the Program and a buck fifty will get you a low grade cup of coffee @ Starbucks.

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
http://www.perlservices.com' target='_new'>Perl Services

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »
If your needing an RTC that offers DBT then you need to look at sites on BPD. I have found the following to be helpful.
http://www.mhsanctuary.com/borderline/

I strongly advise avioding any Private owned program if you are dealing with a cutter or fire or hair pulling, ect. You need Highly trained and specilized care for these things. You need to know what Questions to ask and you need to make sure they are working from current and up to date information. Otherwise, you will do far more harm than good.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »
Before you make any decision, please look through the warning signs and the advice to parents posted in this site: http://www.isaccorp.com. Good luck in your search.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »
I am trying to help a young friend of mine trapped at an RTC in Utah. This is one of my major concerns - that they are using her cutting as part of her behav. mod. program even though it's in combination with DBT. I tried to pry push in the pretense of being an interested mother re: their program and cutting and they *seemed* to be saying that they would not be punitive if she cut. That was not enough for me to hear. I do not have much experience with cutting except for what I've read on the net. What would you explicity say to a therapist in one of these places to be assured as you could be (I know, I know) that the cutting was being treated appropriately?

Thx.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
Same poster as above here. BTW, this place IS in Utah but it's not WWASP and not one of the worst, I'm sure. But I am appropriately concerned and suspicious about their competency in dealing with things like cutting along with a zillion other  things but this one I might be able to raise with them indirectly.

Thanks again.