Author Topic: How About This Theory  (Read 33544 times)

Offline Ottawa2

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #210 on: August 26, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »
Hey there everyone!
Well lets see...
Shanlea: I think you are the type of person that my mother wants to talk to. She is interested in why the program did not work for some people yet did work for others.
CEDU did not work for you for some reason, and she would love to hear why that is. She has stated that she wants to start her own school and her first consern is to make sure that kids that do not need the program do not get sent there. In our case (my mothers and mine) my brother was a druggie and we had tried ever thing we could think of.
Please contact O5 she really want to discuess this with someone who is able to be calm and logical.
I Think that everyone could benifit from this. I belive that schools like CEDU will responed more to someone who has the ability to say, "This did not work for me because (insiert reasons)" And they are unlikely to responed to people who talk something like this "F*** YOU F****** B******!!!" Like a few pleople on this site.
As to every one else yes I do have the opption to leave this forum and guess what you have the oppsion to ingnore me if you want to.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2004, 10:47:00 PM »
O2: Well I'm always up for rational dialogue. She can PM me if she wants. The problem I have is supporting any CEDU-type school that might be built.  I think the problem is systemic. I think you can have the best intentions and it goes awry sort of like how power corrupts politicians--they still have to deal with the reality that there is already a game in place with special interests and corporate funding etc.

I know part of the problem was that I was not part of my own empowerment or therapy.  There was no individual plan or work.  They didn't even ask. In raps, there was no way I was going to lay my soul bare for people to misuse and exploit unethically.  It really was a breeding ground for bullies.

I think part of the problem was that they assumed all the kids were liars and they knew the real deal. This offended me because I always answered honestly. I never lie to a direct question. Not because I'm so moral, but because I'm so transparent. I did not like or respect people who did not take what I say at face value or accused me of lying about my story. (I'm not talking about differences in perception.) I know that a lot of kids did lie or exaggerate and maybe the staff viewed all troubled kids as liars and manipulators. I don't know.  I think a lot of staff had their own issues (especially the newer ones) and they would project it onto us. Like the family head who was an addict and he treated me like an addict because I experimented even though I easily quit months before CEDU and never went back. Nobody asked --ever--what was up, and I resented people just deciding what the issue was and rewriting my story.  

I don't know if this part of CEDU has changed but they definitely were not equipped to deal with kids on an individual basis such as if you had ADD, Anxiety, Depression etc.  You can't just medicate everyone or yell at people with anxiety or ADD.  You have to be really thoughtful. You have to teach kids strategies to get through life self sufficiently with ADD or depression or whatever so they can make life work regardless of teh challenges they face.

On the other hand, I think we over label kids who are simply unique in an effort to fit them in a tidy box.  The teenage years are years where experiemntation, rejection, rebellion, and independence forms, and it is a very mercurial time. Sometimes you just gotta ride it out.

If your Mom peruses the board at all, she will find a lot of useful info on different programs and a lot of it is disturbing.  (I think Straight and its affiliates are the worst, and I couldn't fathom any parent sending their kid to a foreign country.) Honestly? And I will get my ass kicked here, I do think we need to help especially troubled kids, but I don't know how.

It is interesting to look at what different people complain about. Some seem trifling, others draconian.
hanlea

Offline MagicalGrunk

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2004, 06:27:00 AM »
For everyone on fornits. I might know alot of you so if you really want to talk or something, you can reach my email at:  [email protected]. Write me.

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »
On 2004-08-04 05:22:00, SON OF SERBIA wrote:

"I agree that being at cedu forces you to do a lot of acting and even more lying to keep the heat off your ass, i could never do it for more than a a few weeks without snapping at someone and and getting in trouble (i was always in trouble at cedu). Some of the students were obviously born to play the part, i think we called them LOOK GOODS. They used to really come after me in raps because I would never talk about my problems,I was dirty, and because i was such a pain in the ass to staff and older students. I would usually deny everything the Look Goods said about me, and then i would used their cop outs against them and they'd start crying.  Then everyone would start screaming at me. I probably spent 2/3 of my entire stay (1 yr. 7 mo.) at cedu on restrictions mostly because of this tactic.  And then I would refuse my work assignments and the LOOK GOODS got even more pissed off at me.  Man I'm sure that I generated some of the LOUDEST raps in history.  

Is knowing how to act at cedu an asset in the real world? No, certainly not. In a nutshell, "Looking Good" at cedu involves being completely dishonest, never standing up for yourself in the face of confrontation, accepting everything you are told without question, and allowing your self to be completely dominated and subserviant to people (staff) who are clearly no better than, and often times inferior to yourself.  Also, most Look Goods upon a staff's command, were able to snap into a rage of self-directed hysterics, complete with tears, mucus on the floor, and drawn out screaming reflections about how much they hated themselves for being such aweful people. While this behavior might earn some points in another institutional setting like a mental hospital for instance, it is clearly a recipe for failure in the real world. This is because cedu teaches people to be sheep. In the real world the way to get ahead is to be a Wolf, or better yet, a Tiger. Sheep get eaten alive. No one likes being around crybabies who constantly pity themselves out loud.

I submit that cedu survivors would be most successful in the real world by doing exactly the opposite  of Looking Good at cedu.

"

This is the one I wanted to quote and bring back to the table. What is it that this taught us? The fallout from being trained to think in a manner such as this where lying under premise of absolute truth or becoming more "real" while surrounded by absolute dishonesty, is a farce that Nixon could be proud of.
I'd like my parents to have sat in on ANY one rap while I was a student AS A STUDENT. Then they could see why didn't want/need to be there. Oh well. That's why my avatar is what it is...hand me that fiddle...er violin. :idea:
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »
Ok, I'll bite...why?
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »
The notion of acting is brilliant. Every time I saw a graduation it was like watching a play. LaTresa, Lori, Doug, no matter who ran it - it was a play.

Same thing when the propheets got out - a bunch of acting - bad acting

The Summit getting out was when the cult switch really turned on - fake happiness, fake dancing - and the enthusiasm faded over the years and became more and more pathetic. Anyone else witness this.

The one thing that always makes me laugh is La,s fake crying - god that was funny.

Offline CEDU 1974-75

• View Profile
    • http://none
How About This Theory
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »
Hey,Son of Serbia,Thanks for your postings!I really appreciate your perspective on the whole CEDU experience.I ,for one, have not fared especially well since being there for about eighteen months some thirty years ago. What a drag.
   What can you say about "raps","propheets"&"dishpan"in the real world that will help you win friends and influence people?
    Go figure......   :smokin:
\"Work is love made visible\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2005, 07:20:00 PM »
This Quote from Blown Away Is exactly Correct - This is what you get for "140,000

On 2004-11-29 14:51:00, blownawaytheidahoway wrote:

Is knowing how to act at cedu an asset in the real world? No, certainly not. In a nutshell, "Looking Good" at cedu involves being completely dishonest, never standing up for yourself in the face of confrontation, accepting everything you are told without question, and allowing your self to be completely dominated and subserviant to people (staff) who are clearly no better than, and often times inferior to yourself.  Also, most Look Goods upon a staff's command, were able to snap into a rage of self-directed hysterics, complete with tears, mucus on the floor, and drawn out screaming reflections about how much they hated themselves for being such aweful people. While this behavior might earn some points in another institutional setting like a mental hospital for instance, it is clearly a recipe for failure in the real world. This is because cedu teaches people to be sheep. In the real world the way to get ahead is to be a Wolf, or better yet, a Tiger. Sheep get eaten alive. No one likes being around crybabies who constantly pity themselves out loud.

I submit that cedu survivors would be most successful in the real world by doing exactly the opposite  of Looking Good at cedu.

"

This is the one I wanted to quote and bring back to the table. What is it that this taught us? The fallout from being trained to think in a manner such as this where lying under premise of absolute truth or becoming more "real" while surrounded by absolute dishonesty, is a farce that Nixon could be proud of.

I'd like my parents to have sat in on ANY one rap while I was a student AS A STUDENT. Then they could see why didn't want/need to be there. Oh well. That's why my avatar is what it is...hand me that fiddle...er violin. :idea:  "

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »
If kids knew their right under the law that could go through the program how they want and get out when they want.

See the posts on this issue

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Fuck The CEDU Schools = One thing. Dont get mad -get even

Offline smallaxe

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »
Hey everybody.  I am a Cedu survivor like many of you.  I am currently writing about both Cedu and Ascent for a semester long writing project.  I am interested in any postings/replies you can offer.  In my efforts I am trying to recall all of the vivid details of the hell we all suffered.  For instance work assignments, dinner dishes, propheets etc.  Any ascent survivors still freak out at the smell of dial soap???  Any details you would be interested in submitting I would be grateful for.  Thanks.

Offline smallaxe

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »
How about pop offs????  Fucking Grateful dead!!!!  I can say it all I want now!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How About This Theory
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »
How about that nasty fuckin' smell at BCA of our own raw sewage leaking up through leech fields and that bootleg septic tank.

That sperm-like smell the bleach left on your hands for the rest of the day when you had to wipe down those tables with far too much bleach.

Maybe the banging of your bathroom door late at night followed by some creepy guy strutting through your dorm with a flashlight...sometimes every 5 fucking minutes if some dickhead on the other side of your dorm went nuts earlier and threatened to cut on himself.

Speaking of 5 minutes...the Casey lights on Brad Navarro's truck aimed right into your teepee at 4 in the morning as he screams 5 minutes at the top of his lungs...

I still cringe when I smell Dial soap...along with Herbal Essences and original Barbasol.