Author Topic: My intentions  (Read 16266 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »
Wait a minute.  Does he or does he NOT have a drug problem.  There seem to be some contradictions in your statements.  

You say this:  "unless my child had some kind of addictive behavior history, something that we have not experienced"

but then this:  "When a 15 year old kid is using every drug around and acting out in all sorts or ways and refusing to engage with parents or professionals to discuss why, there, in that moment, it is difficult if not impossible to say whether it's an addiction or a behavioral problem."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »
http://www.cedu2.com/center/index.php3? ... ons&quiz=3

http://www.cedu2.com/center/index.php3? ... ons&quiz=4

http://www.cedu2.com/center/index.php3? ... ons&quiz=2

These irritate me too.  What teen DOESN'T display either most or all of these "symptoms"?  This suggests to me parents that are not involved in their kids lives and are either unwilling or too incompetent to deal with adolescence and all the crazy behaviors that come with it.  Which, btw, is a normal part of child development.  It's part of the breaking away from the parents process and GOD KNOWS WE CAN'T HAVE THAT now can we? :roll:  :roll:

Offline CEDU IS A CULT

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »
I can't stand the stench!  Not to be offensive.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My intentions
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »
On 2004-07-28 14:22:00, ottawa5 wrote:

When a 15 year old kid is using every drug around and acting out in all sorts or ways and refusing to engage with parents or professionals to discuss why, there, in that moment, it is difficult if not impossible to say whether it's an addiction or a behavioral problem.

No, but it's a dead certainty that the kid doesn't want or think he needs your help. And it's quite possible that he hasn't got a problem. You obviously have a problem w/ his behavior (or maybe just what you imagine his behavior to be when you're not around). But the kid doesn't want to tell you what's going on.

Here's the catch. There's only one way to change someone against their will. You have to break their will. No getting around that. And there isn't any way to do that without doing injury to the person.

And you'll never know what might have been had you not panicked and taken such drastic measures. If things go well, CEDU will be (in your mind, anyway) the salvation. If things don't go well, it will be his fault for not following the Program. At least, that's the way it goes for most parents, except for those who quit drinking the kool aid long enough to realize how rediculously badly they've been took.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.
-- Anonymous

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
It is wrong to leave a stumbling block in the road once it has tripped you.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My intentions
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »
On 2004-07-28 13:40:00, ottawa5 wrote:

Wouldn't it be more parsimonious, at least more intellectually honest, in the face of all the evidence, to just agree that CEDU at least sometimes leads to good outcomes?

I don't see any evidence of that. I think that, just like every other outfit implimenting the Synanon model, it sometimes fails to utterly destroy an individual.

Look, I'm speaking from long term experience here. 5/6 of the kids in my family went through The Seed or Straight, Inc. All of us would supposedly have been deadinsaneorinjail w/o the salvation of the Program. All of our peers, who didn't get that salvation, were supposed to have been deadinsaneorinjail by now. But I've been watching this saga unfold for around 30 years and those dire predictions simply are not born out by reality. The fact is that Program vets are far more likely to be dead, insane, in jail (or having been in jail) and/or living marginally than our peers who didn't go through the Program. None of my old friends commited suicide. Not one, not anyone I went to school with, not one of my neighbors, including the really "bad" kids. At least half a dozen kids I knew in the program have offed themselves and another dozen or so people I know through our common experience w/ the program struggle w/ suicidal ideation at least occasionally.

The proof is in the pudding, lady. Of course, the boat has already left the dock as regards whether or not to put your son through a Synanon based behavior mod program. However, there's one thing that you could do (or not) to help ameliorate the damage. From hence forth, don't ever, ever attribute your son's success or accomplishment to the Program. No skin off you nose at all; simply attribute his success to him and not the Program. When he makes mistakes, don't advise him to work the Program. Just forget all about it unless he brings it up. Trust me on this one, it'll save him a lot of grief.

Everybody's lost just waiting to be found. Everyone's a thought just waiting to fade.
-- Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Oppositional Defiance

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »
On 2004-07-28 14:02:00, SON OF SERBIA wrote:

"Are you Kidding? Do you really need her to answer? If Ottawa caught her son smoking pot, she would cut off his funds, make her son move back home,ground him to his room, make him attend AA meetings everyday, see a therapist 3 days a week, go to church every sunday,and forbid him from speaking to his friends or girls. As an added bonus, Ottawa will be constantly in her son's face bossing him around and reminding him that he is  a drug addicted, stupid, selfish, perverted, evil,dirty, and aweful person, and that only she can save him. And if Ottawa's son makes one peep in protest against his maltreatment, Ottawa will no doubt back up her threats to call the police and say that her son beat her.  Then he get's arrested & sent to county jail, where he will be anally raped as punishment for his insolence! (Ottawa will also consistantly remind her son of these "consequences" as well)

But it's all just part of the strict dicipline and "confrontational communication" that Ottawa learned from cedu, and loves so much.

Isn't that right Ottawa5?

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF SERBIA on 2004-07-28 14:04 ]"

WOW,

That sounds EXACTLY like the way my own mother is. word for word. What the fuck, man? What the fuck?
ppositional Defiance,
AKA
Black Francis the 2nd
Email- [email protected]
Phone- 727-743-1914

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the law, love under will.

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2004, 08:30:00 PM »
Antigen, wise words.

Bryan, SOS, et al

Listen I have very strong feelings re: CEDU. I understand the intense anger directed at Ottawa for her seeming disregard for the abuses and ineptitude perpetuated by the school.

However, to attack her son whom we do not know and other aspects of her life that is blatantly suppositional reflects badly on everything we are trying to accomplish.  Especially vile was the finger comment.

I could just say what the hell, she's on the wrong "side", so I don't give a damn, but it really undermines our own purpose and it just ain't right. You don't tell reps of a "school" to stop being abusive and then perpetuate the same behavior.  Anger can be a strength, but abusiveness is not.

OK. Go ahead and flamebroil me.
hanlea

Offline Tiffany

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2004, 08:31:00 PM »
so obvious that you can't stand the truth....

why don't you quit attacking people and answer me?  is it because you can't attack pure facts?  so you can't get the last word in?  come on now, i'm very interested in what you have to say about the physical "neglect" i suffered from when i was there..............

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »
That's the problem with Ottawa. She doesn't really address all the wrongdoings and the fact that the same types of things come up repeatedly. The medical neglect you experienced is one typcal example.
shanlea

Offline ottawa5

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
To the new poster--

I am not avoiding you, it just takes more energy, I think, to begin an interaction with a new person than with the known quantities.

I think your post is gravely important, the health issues interest me a lot--here is the deal I am a psychologist in clinical training, and I have some really disturbed people I am trying to help at the moment---I should not even be here now, but I'm on a break--if you are still interested in a reply, I will be back tomorrow late,

You are right--I need to learn to care less about what some people think and not bother to defend myself even when it's amusing--this is a good place to learn to be more selective about the process.

Offline ottawa5

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2004, 09:48:00 PM »
Thanks for your response--why do I have the impression that I did not get through to you.  

Sorry, I can't "trust" you on the interpretation of what is best for my family; sorry you had bad outcomes in yours.

Can't you see that I've got to trust our own experience over these kind of ominous warnings that have not been true for us or others we know.  Not saying you're wrong about your own experience, just that other outcomes are possible too.

Would love to talk more later, lady, attitude and all.

Offline ottawa5

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
In reference to the time I've been spending here, it's great fun, interesting and informative, but I think you are right, it can easily get to be a bit much.

So that may please you, Bryan and others to no end, since you'd like to drive me out.

Ironic that it is my own schedule, not your insults that may ultimately slow me down.  

Slow me down, maybe, but not stop me--I'll be back.

Hey, before I go: you tell me one question you asked and I didn't answer--if you ask me something that actually has a straight answer and I can give it without compromising someone else's privacy, I guarantee that I will give it when I come back.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
Face it Ottawa! You love it here! Why, I do not know, but I am beginning to wonder if you are starting to question CEDU more.

I will ask this, if you have any genuine sincere purpose, why are you here? And, could you please try to have more openness, compassion, and less condescension in your posts. I know it is difficult because we all get frustrated by you, but it would be nice.

Shan

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2004, 01:01:00 AM »
On 2004-07-28 19:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Face it Ottawa! You love it here! Why, I do not know, but I am beginning to wonder if you are starting to question CEDU more.

I will ask this, if you have any genuine sincere purpose, why are you here? And, could you please try to have more openness, compassion, and less condescension in your posts. I know it is difficult because we all get frustrated by you, but it would be nice.

Shan

"

"Condescension"  I love that word.  It places all of Ottawa's Reasoned arguments in a nutshell.
I see a lot of postson this site where people are saying that they would like to leave the hell-hole that the US has become with Bush's war on terror (& drugs)  At the same time there are some Canadians who in sucking up to Bush would have Canada become the 51st State.  Those same Canadians seem to want to emulate Stateside coercive treatment programs in Canada ( a la AARC).  What I'd like to see is more of the best ideas of the US adopted by Canadians --Liberty, civil rights ideals and so on, not the worst -- coercive Nazi style youth treatment treatment -- that Ottawa5 seems to want.
So I'm going to be a little condescending to Ottawa5.  You're only a graduate student barely learning the basics of psychology.  And it is obvious that, in your case, a little learning can do a lot of harm.  I would suggest that instead of the artsy-fartsy behavioural and counselling psychology you have concentrated on, you take some hard science courses in pharmacology and then particularly that you read and absorb the teachings of Alexander Shulgin and Thomas Szasz.  Then, when you have absorbed what they have to say you should experiment with LSD and Psilocibin mushrooms to deal with your obvious obsessive compulsive disorder.  Then talk to your son about  having some assistance from MDMA to deal with the PTSD he must be suffering from his experiences in CEDU.

Peace
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline ottawa5

• View Profile
My intentions
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2004, 01:55:00 AM »
Cypress--

I'll try to be specific about what the CEDU parent program was like for me, of course I was not in the student parts of the program so I will rely on what my son and others have told me. I'll try to explain what I think is behind the power of these programs.

From what I've been told, key concepts that are played out in the parent workshops are woven into the student curriculuum as well so that when I talked to my son about ideas like "The I and the Me" or like the Dreams workshop, he was able to immediately know what I was talking about.  

How these ideas were gotten across (multi-day workshops for me, marathon Propheets for the students, for example) was different but apparently the ideas were very similar.

Now I had never been to any kind of workshop before I went to these, and I went rather reluctantly because at the time I viewed my son as the problem--that is another personal parallel, he started out viewing me as the problem and through these experiences we came to understand that we were both part of the problem we were having and part of the solution to them.

So here is what I liked about the workshops: the experiential nature of them: actual exercises that made the concepts real and tangible; the opportunity to interact with other like-minded parents in an emotionally enriched way (I still stay in touch with people who were strangers to me when I met them at one of these things); the uniqueness of the setting and ideas---some workshop leader could confront a parent and make them look at themselves in a new light in a way that many of us, as priviledged people in the world, are not often confronted.  

There is nothing more important to most people than their children--oh you can say that parents do it wrong sometimes, and you're quite correct, but I'm talking about feelings. At these workshops, people poured out honest emotion like you would not believe and to see people in such a genuine state was a new thing for me.

All this, the experiential approach, the emotional piece, the uniqueness of the occasion and the setting, for me, led to a belief in the possibility of change. Just really knowing that things can be different.

You can call it "brainwashing" if you wish, but really that's just sticks and stones, because if what happened there is brainwashing, then every time we are exposed to a new idea and decide to do something differently we are brainwashed. Most good parenting is pretty much brainwashing if you define brainwashing this way.

For example, after one of the Dreams experiential exercises, I remembered that when I was little I wanted to be an artist, but because I am kind of scholastic and for other emotionally related reason, my life went off in another direction. I literally hadn't drawn or painted anything since I was about 9, but it was like a wall came down and suddenly it was possible.  Within a few weeks, I had had my sketches mistaken for the work of a professional artist. And a couple of months later, I had done a painting in some little art class I found and because my husband liked it and wanted it in his office I took it to get it framed, and another customer wanted to buy it.

Same with writing poetry, I hadn't written for years, and after one of the workshops, it was possible again, just in an instant of belief in the possibility.

None of this was magic or hypnosis, and not in my mind at least, brainwashing, it was learning to be able to let down resistance to a more complete way of experiencing the world.

I could tell you other much more remarkable stories than this that happened just to people I know after these workshops, but we took a pledge not to talk about other people's experiences publically, unless they specifically permit it and so I'll leave it at my own experience.

All I can say is that there is now a connection in my life between my thinking and feeling lives that was not there before and which is unshakable, in a way that passes for strength in the world.  

Before these experiences, I would never have had the courage to speak about these things and my own vulnerabilities to anyone, much less on a site where many of the participants are like wild dogs and this kind of disclosure is like raw meat to them. Now it matters not at all, because I feel internally integrated and content with my feelings and my life.

Now, of course the difficulty in terms of the kids is that they really do not want to be there, so it is a stretch to think that they are going to immediately celebrate emotional growth, because they are not at all interested in opening up, they in fact frequently want to be less open, in order to hide things from staff.

There has to, over the course of the program, be a way to get them out of their comfort zones, if they are going to take a new look at the way they have been living and even consider the emotional side of their lives. Because the underlying premise is that it is this ignorance of the worth of their own emotional selves that is at the heart of their self-destructive behaviors.  The rather sensible idea is that if you love yourself, you will not do terrible things to yourself.

This is at the heart of why I just don't see how you can do the whole thing without some degree of coercion although we can certainly agree that some of the stories told here suggest that at times, there has been too much, and the wrong kind, and sometimes, coercion without caring  and that can't work.

So, for example, according to my son and others, the overnight propheets (which you would probably call sleep deprivation, although he said everyone he knew liked them because caffeine was available) created an event in which there was more possibility of letting guards down and allowing for looking at things in a new way.  He says that the propheets were his favorite part of the whole program and I've heard many other people say so too.  And in a bunch of different ways he had experiences that paralleled mine in terms of opening new possibilties for him and helping him understand why he was doing destructive things to himself. And being able to change.

It also made him fearless--he had always been reckless, I think, but only to run from his fears.  Like me, now, he does not care if others approve of his experiences, is at ease with who he is, is content.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that he is not at this site because he is shy or timid--I've heard him speak face to face about his experiences to some very hostile people--he simply can't see any point in talking to people who have closed minds and closed hearts--he sees the site as a waste of time, and cannot understand why I would bother to be here (that should please Son of Serbia, Bryan and Company).

Now see, here is what I think is another important piece to the puzzle of why people have different experiences in the program: with my son and his friends, there was in all cases some kind of close bond formed with a counsellor for at least part of the program, or in different parts of of the program with different people, and I have a sense that that has something to do with the success rate too.  That's why I think caring, insightful staff is crucial and maybe that just didn't happen with a lot of you guys but it did with us.

And I never heard any of the really egregious stories that I've heard here, maybe we were just lucky and the staff and the ideals of the program were just right when we were there.  If that is the case, it doesn't mean to me that the programs should be abandoned, but they should certainly be modified.

Also, I have a sense that some of the schools may, or may have at times in the past, let in kids who were not well suited for this kind of program--I'm still formulating that one, so I'll let it go for now.

Well, I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I doubt that I have explained this in a way that is going to mean much to you or anyone else at this site, but that's the way the cookie crumbles as we say when using one of poster Deborah's food-based metaphors (Deborah is the only person in the world with a longer post than me, I think, and after this one, I will likely take the lead).

Some of you have had such bad experiences that I don't think there is a way to talk about any of this that would make sense to you.

Maybe someone unbiased will read this sometime and it will mean something to him or her. It is not impossible.

By the way, my last workshop was with Mel Wasserman, who came to Idaho from California for one last workshop before he sold the whole thing to the Brown Schools.  If it makes you feel any better he really did beat up the parents emotionally pretty well, there were people crying all over the room all the time.  So we had a tiny bit of pain too, and in my own case, enough to get a glimpse of how hard the program must be for my son--I was really proud of him that he chose to stay and finish when the time came that he could have walked down the road and never gone back.

So there you have it, I hope this is what you wanted, I will be glad to talk further if you would like to.