Author Topic: Differences Between Straight and The Seed  (Read 9669 times)

Offline marcwordsmith

• View Profile
    • http://www.marcwordsmith.com
Differences Between Straight and The Seed
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2006, 03:34:00 AM »
well, I missed the original posts about the rap from hell, but I do appreciate your general explanation, Greg, and it's enough for me.

It's odd to think the Seed was wracked by melodrama right up into its final days. In a way, I sorta imagined they all (that is, anyone who was still around by the year 2000 or so . . . jeez, imagine that!) might have mellowed out a little. Like there was that one poster here who'd been to The Seed in the nineties and who started a thread entitled something like "I don't get it" and she testified that The Seed had been caring and kind to her.

From what I've read here, it seems the Seed had a kind of U-shaped evolution, from sweet innocuous hippie cult, quickly devolving to cruel coercive thought reform program (perhaps peaking in St. Pete in that regard) and then slowly inching back to gentler ways. But the massive delusions of grandeur persisted all the way through, I suppose.

Goofy, yes, but gross and disgusting, because we had no choice in the matter. We were forced to act the adoring audience for the pontifications of Art and senior staff. The irony is that they needed to be adored and worshipped--and they insisted WE needed THEM.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
On 2006-07-06 00:34:00, marcwordsmith wrote:

From what I've read here, it seems the Seed had a kind of U-shaped evolution, from sweet innocuous hippie cult, quickly devolving to cruel coercive thought reform program (perhaps peaking in St. Pete in that regard) and then slowly inching back to gentler ways. But the massive delusions of grandeur persisted all the way through, I suppose.

I think so.  Remember the Straight was modeled after the early St Pete Seed.  All of the original Straight staffers were early St Pete seed oldcomers.

This was my frame of reference that I held for the seed until this forum.  I never imagined that one day oldcomers would be out playing tennis with their newcomers in the afternoon, Or that raps would end in the afternoon and everyone would go home, or stuff like this.  That was out of the realm of possiblity in my perception of the place.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 12:55:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Eudora""
...A multitude of laws in a country is like a great number of physicians, a sign of weakness and malady.

--Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)

This is a fantastic quote.  Right the fuck on!!!
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 01:15:56 PM »
Man, I just want to thank ya'll for having this discussion in a place and a way that I can understand, especially Greg FL and Eudora, who have obviously spent a lot of quiet time thinkin' on all this.  It's just so nice to be able to gain more understanding of the past and know that other people are troubled by the same things that trouble me.  Before I found this site, I despaired of ever finding anyone that I could, dare I say, "relate" to.  I salute your noble search for understanding and thankyou for shining your light to help me see.  

-starry-eyed pirate, $tr8 survivor and Drug War P.O.W. 85-87
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 01:59:26 PM »
::cheers::

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 09:47:19 AM »
Naw, man, thank you for comin' along and joining the conversation. I just want to understand, ya know? All we really did was throw out the invite and maybe taunt and stoke it a little here and there. You guys make up all the content and context.
 :nworthy:
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »
differences between Straight & Seed - one sucked, the other blew! :D

Offline rossmddn

• View Profile
differences between straight and the seed
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 05:49:40 PM »
i recall one instance which iwitnessed.. a boy and his father were being confronted by a staff member.. the staff member told the father to 'hit him'  so the father did..the boy was cornered and struck back. was restrained by the staff member, the police were called, the boy was charged with assualt &battery, witnesses don't cha know, and remanded by the juve court to seed custody... when i hit age of majority, i was told "no, we can't legally hold you... but we can physically hold you".. it's been a long long time for me and good to finallly recognize that this stuff did exist, and awful to kow that it still does  rssmddn :D  :D

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
welcome to the forum.  That memory of yours is a bit of seed history, DENIED by the faithfull but well remembered by us , now adult, unwilling participants.

Anything else you remember?

Offline NOT12NOW

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 07:51:05 PM »
"but we can physically hold you" creepy.  Seedy creepy
leveland chick 76-77

Offline rossmddn

• View Profile
to forum and greg
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:48 PM »
yes greg there is something, many things i remember... most importantly it's been many years and much study.. we were drummed and drilled mto believe that no one repeat no one would believe us that we were merely drug addled (perhaps drug riddled sounds better, cant't decide) teens, whose word and testoimony were forever impeached, that if we protested or told word would leak out about us, and we would be unemployable, shunned, pariahs, as would our families.. to any i strongly recommend sargents book physiology of brainwashing and conversion... until i read that, i believed that i was dealing with psychological matters within myself, and not an inclusive psychophysical phenomena... grateful for this forum

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 09:20:08 PM »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 10:12:48 PM »
We are gratefull you are here as well.  What branch were you in, and When.  Any 'seed happenings" that stick out in your mind, other than the staff directed beatings by seedling parents?

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2006, 02:50:05 AM »
Quote from: ""Eudora""
This guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sergeant

Looks intense.  I get the feeling I should check it out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 10:46:41 AM »
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.
-Rita Rudner    :D