Author Topic: AARC  (Read 2472 times)

Offline kilgore

• View Profile
AARC
« on: August 28, 2002, 04:32:00 PM »
Many thanks everyone for your messages.  Yes, that really is my Dad, and yes, he was pretty upset about this website.  But I think he'll take what you say seriously -- so please, be as honest as you feel you can be.

I should quickly clear up a few things.  I guess I was a bit overheated at the time of my first post -- my Dad correctly points out that my bro has been in AARC for about 6, not 8 months. He also says that my brother wasn't forcibly restrained when he entered, but I've got conflicting reports on that one.
In any case, that's me above board.

I'm glad some of you took up his offer, as I believe he's committed to the stance, if not the reality, of being open-minded here. Of course the least productive thing possible would be that two sides just accuse each other of being brainwashed in different ways -- my Dad basically seems to think that having been "druggies" utterly compromises former program participants' capacity to approach this stuff objectively, while I increasingly feel that with him I'm arguing more with an ideology rather than with a person.

Anyway, all that's supposed to encourage is more of the generous honesty you've already displayed.  It's appreciated, by me at least, and it might make a difference yet.

Thanks again.

Scott
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 05:37:00 PM »
Thanks Kilgore for posting, I really hope that you'll be able to come back and keep us posted in the future on how you and your family is doing. I wanted to respond to a couple of things though, like restraining. I was never held down or put in leg shackles or anything like that, though I've witnessed it with other people. Instead I was surrounded, threatened, and stripped of any money or identification and sometimes shoes. The host homes and oldcomer cars are "child proof" and oldcomers sleep with their mattresses in front of the doors. You are constantly supervised, so "restraining" ins't always necessary, and usually you are tricked in, not dragged.

And as far as not taking "druggies" word, it should be noted that not every kid in AARC is a "druggie" most it's too young to tell what they'll choose to do in the future, and Vause has admitted to treating kids who were not drug addicts at all. Also, "druggies" are people too. Sometimes I think the smartest kids are the ones who end up on drugs, seraching for something to keep their active minds busy. Myself and the others who post here from AARC are no where near "druggie" lifestyles. The idea of not listening to "druggies" or former "druggies" the same way as you would listen to anyone else is what has gotten society in so much trouble today. Nobody would allow a psychiatric doctor to abuse his patients just because they don't think a crazy persons experiences are valid.

Good luck,

Velvet.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 12:08:00 AM »
Velvet, are you an AARC grad or did you graduate from a program in the US?

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 12:20:00 AM »
I'm an AARC graduate.

Offline TheFACTS about DEANV

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2002, 08:35:00 PM »
You may be getting what some people think is honesty for them but is not the FACTS about Dean Vause or AARC. You might have your Dad read the message entitled Who knows Dean Vause - lets have some facts too

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 09:03:00 PM »
That's the thing about the word "honesty", contraire to what you might believe there is only one form of it. Honesty is telling the truth, and facts are facts. There is no "version" of honesty in real life, thus why we've stated the facts!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 11:12:24 AM »
What happened to Scott - Kilgore and his family how are they all doing? Anyone know?