Author Topic: AARC  (Read 20484 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
I was a hard core career criminal.

What crimes were you committing? How often? How much money did you make? How old were you?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »
On 2005-05-04 14:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"In response I was never told I was "shitty" or anything else that was demeaning.

"

Why did you call yourself that then? They never told you that you were "full of shit"?

"I'm not sure what you mean by "harsh". The only thing that sucked was the food. Raps were "uncomfortable", but I was as honest as I could be, and would get things pointed out to me and asked how I felt. I would relate to others when they talked about something that was similar to my experience, or to give them support.
"

So they didn't scream at you? They didn't control your every move, including where your eyes were looking at every moment? I would call that harsh, and way beyond uncomfortable. Demeaning and humiliating would be more accurate.

"My parents were excellent communicators - my father and step fathers were both PhDs, Drs in Psychology, and my mother was a Speech Pathologist and later got her Masters in Psychology. We were a normal, middle-class family, and my brother and I turned out to be drug addicts. I certainly do not blame my parents!
"

Well...straight had psychologists working there too, that doesnt mean they knew anything about communicating or being empathetic. What's wrong with "blaming" (notice this is another self deprecating remark) your parents for things they may have done wrong? Do you think that would mean you didn't love them?

When would you draw the line and say, now THATS not acceptable?

"I was a hard core career criminal. Today I am a productive, happy person. AARC was not "condemning" me and was not harsh towards me. I could have left anytime. The people were gret to me, especially once I was unclouded by years of drug use.

"

Your words are full of self-condemning remarks, that also happen to be the very same terms used in there.

Again I am happy you have grown from the time when you were young and are now happy, I just have the feeling that it's in spite of your time at aarc, rather than because of it.

Offline Sibling

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »
I'm not to sure why you can not just let this lady be happy for you sucess at AARC! She seems to have a great program and why must question and rip apart every word she is saying?

You seem to have a more problems about AARC then the those who have gone through.Maybe all the stories are not the best but I'm sure if you got down to the bottom of the hate of AARC it is because people do not want to look at there part of the bad situation. Honesty is a huge part of this program and having the staff tell you that you are "full of shit" is far different than telling them they are a "shitty" person. If you are Honest as you can be the situation will be a fine one as this lady had stated!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
"Why did you call yourself that then? They never told you that you were "full of shit"? "

Call myself what? I don't recall anyone saying that I was "full of shit". I was certainly dishonest, and i was called on inconsistencies in my stories.

"So they didn't scream at you? They didn't control your every move, including where your eyes were looking at every moment? I would call that harsh, and way beyond uncomfortable. Demeaning and humiliating would be more accurate. "

No, never screamed at, in fact I did my fair share of yelling. My every move was far from controlled. I could look any where
I wanted. I agreed to abide by rules, and the further I went in AARC, the more these rules were relaxed.

"Well...straight had psychologists working there too, that doesnt mean they knew anything about communicating or being empathetic. What's wrong with "blaming" (notice this is another self deprecating remark) your parents for things they may have done wrong? Do you think that would mean you didn't love them? "

My parents made every attempt to talk to and listen to me. They were compassionate, generous and often overly trusting. They made mistakes, and I made choices. I never believed they didn't love me, and if I hadn't chosen to tell them I was still involved in drugs after they thought I was done, and I asked for help, they would have continued to love me. They were and are awesome people. Your interpretation sounds like you may be projecting your parental experience onto me.

"Your words are full of self-condemning remarks, that also happen to be the very same terms used in there. "

If "hardcore criminal" and "unclouded by years of drug use is self-condemning" then I am guilty. By the way, see below:

"What crimes were you committing? How often? How much money did you make? How old were you? "

MY RESUME OF CRIME

12 - 21 possessed illegal drugs all the time
14 - 21 sale of illegal drugs
12 - 21 theft, possession of stolen goods, sale of stolen goods
16 kidnapping and extorsion (twice)
17 Break and Enter to Commit Assualt, Assault with a weapon
19 - 21 Cultivation of a Narcotic
17 - 21 Possession of illegal unregistered handguns
15 - 21 possession of prohibited weapons
20 home invasion, armed robbery

As to how much money I made, that is between me and the government. Suffice to say I supported myself, paid rent, bought food, paid bills from 16 - 21, travelled, used drugs and drank every day, paid for lawyers and fines and paid for all of it by proceeds of crime. Hence, hardcore career criminal.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »
Well I may have misjudged some things about your story, it sounds like you really did need some help and that they may not have been as demeaning as I thought. But I still find it hard to understand how someone from a great family ended up doing all of the things you did if everything was so great. I don't think people do things like that for absolutely no reason...

This is NOT to say that your parents meant to do anything wrong either, its not a blaming type point of view. That's what disturbs me here. We ALL make mistakes, and our parents are no exception. To say otherwise is just not accurate, only a half truth.

What do you think is the reason then that you started doing all of those drugs?? The answer to that I think would be very telling.

My point here is that to say that your parents had at least SOMETHING to do with your behavior, does not mean YOU don't love THEM. (Not the other way around although that's true too). It does not mean you are "blaming" them or don't love them or feel sorry for yourself or anything like that. That's my point. The fact that what I'm saying is so difficult to understand is kind of what I was getting at.

We all do the best we can, under the circumstances we have been given.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
On 2005-05-05 09:40:00, Sibling wrote:

"I'm not to sure why you can not just let this lady be happy for you sucess at AARC! She seems to have a great program and why must question and rip apart every word she is saying?

You seem to have a more problems about AARC then the those who have gone through.Maybe all the stories are not the best but I'm sure if you got down to the bottom of the hate of AARC it is because people do not want to look at there part of the bad situation. Honesty is a huge part of this program and having the staff tell you that you are "full of shit" is far different than telling them they are a "shitty" person. If you are Honest as you can be the situation will be a fine one as this lady had stated!

"

How come I am "ripping her apart" while what she went through in aarc was them pointing out things she needed to hear. HMMMMM.

You say people who don't like it there don't want to look at "their part" .... from what I understand, there is ONLY "their part." How can there even be a "their part" if there is NO "other part." This is my question.

And what I'm saying is that it's OK to see both sides of it. That isn't going to cause the world to shatter and life as we know it to end. It's just called life and that's part of it. We deal with it, and move on.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2005, 04:07:00 PM »
Logically speaking...

If we are all the only ones to blame for everything we've ever done or been through, plus pretty much everyone that we've known or had an influence on, then how can anybody else take any blame for anything? We can't all say we only are to blame, because then everyone's to blame but thinking nobody else is to blame. So is it one, or millions?

Honesty means being honest about what we see others do too. To ignore that is DISHONESTY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »
On 2005-05-05 13:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Logically speaking...

If we are all the only ones to blame for everything we've ever done or been through, plus pretty much everyone that we've known or had an influence on, then how can anybody else take any blame for anything? We can't all say we only are to blame, because then everyone's to blame but thinking nobody else is to blame. So is it one, or millions?

Honesty means being honest about what we see others do too. To ignore that is DISHONESTY. "

What is the point of blaming anybody? I can't do anything about what my parents did or did not do, except learn from it. I go t help, and 13 years later I have a great life. Not everyone will, and mine can turn to crap any time. And it isn't like I didn't have struggles, both my mother and father died! But today I have great support, a loving wife and a great family of my own. I took responsibility for the only person I could - me. I live in the only time I can - right now.

Why did I turn to drugs and crime? Peer influence, an older brother who took me with him, a rebelious nature, the effect that I felt from using, shyness, feeling like I didn't fit in, boredom at school, fantasies about being like the musicians and actors I idolized, who knows? The point is once I didn't want to do it anymore, it was all I knew.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2005, 07:28:00 PM »
I only used the word blame because it got thrown out there. But I agree, the whole concept is skewed. To "blame" someone isn't the same as seeing what happened as it really did and to learn from it. To seek support from those who can give it. But to act like you are "to blame" for **everything** is just as skewed. All people make mistakes and the point isn't to demonize people for it, but it's also not the point to think you can't acknowledge it or you will go back to drugs. It's all part of our god-given life. Live and learn I say. We are all interconnected and, heaven forbid, we NEED other people. We need them to be responsive to us, and if certain people can't then find someone who can. That's what I call taking responsibility.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »
Then it looks like we aren't that far apart in ideology after all. Cool.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2007, 01:49:38 AM »
Why did I turn to drugs and crime? Peer influence, an older brother who took me with him, a rebelious nature, the effect that I felt from using, shyness, feeling like I didn't fit in, boredom at school, fantasies about being like the musicians and actors I idolized, who knows? The point is once I didn't want to do it anymore, it was all I knew.

I thought people went to AARC because they were addicts. Those all sound like social problems, not addiction problems.