Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline finally118

• View Profile
Any suggestions?
« on: June 01, 2001, 05:57:25 PM »
Any suggestions?
deleted by request of poster.

Edited by: Kathy Moya at: 8/8/01 1:45:13 pm

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nike

• View Profile
Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2001, 07:18:45 PM »
Re: Any suggestions?
Man, I feel ya.  (Oops, druggy words!)  There are not very many people who understand what the hell you're talking about, and fewer who care to listen.  My therapist had no clue.  I ran into a few people back in Michigan who had been in Straight, or who had a least heard about it, but almost nobody here has even heard about it.  My parents just get defensive when I bring it up.  Even a lot of ex-straightlings just don't want to be reminded of it.  I really had to talk about it for a while after I left, even if my friends were tired of hearing about it.  I've pretty much worked through it over the past 12 years, though.

I have heard that there were people in Florida who worked with Straight survivors, even before I went in, but I don't know who, where or if they are still around.  If you still live there, you might be able to find one.  Barring that, this is a good place to talk.

Given that you left in '90, it's not likely you'll go some place like that now, because you are no longer a minor.  Even if you were crazy or breaking the law, it's not likely, although you might end up in jail or hospital.  I do not know what problems you are dealing with, so there's no way for me to tell.  However, I doubt that they are any worse than ones I've had to deal with.

Offline finally118

• View Profile
Any suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2001, 10:00:34 AM »
Deleted per request of finally118

Edited by: Kathy Moya at: 8/8/01 1:46:08 pm

Offline KimberlyNJ

• View Profile
Any suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2001, 11:00:42 AM »
any suggestions
HEY!  Lord...I wrote a whole long post earlier, clicked add reply and it froze up, so forgive me if this is short and sweet...

I'm in Florida...where are you?  I am on the east coast.  I have a therapist over here that has dealt with people from Straight, that's why I go to him.  He's OK....also, I can't stress this conference enough.  I've met a lot of Doctors and Lawyers that dealt with Rebecca's lawsuit (sued Newton for over 4.5 mil like 2 years ago)  They are wonderful people.  Some of them might be at the conference or at least someone could point you in the right direction.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about though!  I have been out if KIDS for over 10 years and still have nightmares...they're not AS BAD since I have been online for 3 years talking about this shit and helping shut places down etc...It really does help to talk about it.  If KIDS/Straight taught us NOTHING it did teach us that we need to talk about things.  And that i really do agree with.  I have so many friends from KIDS that have almost NEVER spoken about it and have actually made up new childhoods to tell people about!  They have a really hard time when this subject DOES come up.  I have been very open and talkative about it since i left, really and I have only had a couple "breakdowns".  No hospitalizations....but I'm positive that if I WASN"T open about what happened to me and the things that went on in there, I'd be in a depression hospital.

As far as meetings, i haven't gone for 7 years and I personally feel better.  My step-father is in AA and goes every night practically and he's over 20 years sober.  I have nothing AGAINST AA...if it works for people, then more power to it...but me personally...I found I went from one environment of people controlling my life and my mind to another.  I still have friends in AA and we talk, but it's not for me.  But that's my step-dad's answer to everything too..."Maybe you need a meeting"

Pisses me off.

Anyhow, turns out this did end up long.

I am really glad you found our board, there are plenty of us here, and some that don't really post anymore but just kinda linger and read because it got too emotional...I'll say it again, the only way to get through that is to face it head on.  I've dealt with it head on for over 10 years, and it HAS gotten better!

I love all of you guys, and if ANYONE needds to talk or anything, please feel free to e-mail me, or IM me on AOL...  KDF1271

PS participating in things like the conference in July has helped me because I know I'mmaking a difference and making the effort to shut these placces down!

I feel like the cheerleader for this conference!  I just can't stress it enough!  

Offline finally118

• View Profile
Any suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2001, 11:55:13 AM »
Re: any suggestions
deleted per request of finally118

Edited by: Kathy Moya at: 8/8/01 1:47:41 pm

Offline TallyR

• View Profile
Any suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2001, 11:48:18 PM »
greetings!
I went into the program on Dec 26, 1978 (merry christmas!) and out in Feb '80. I too understand the after effects of straight, and live in Tallahassee as well.  Don't know about the "our fair capitol" with the JEB! in town.   Had some post traumatic type stress after I graduated; took about 12 years to get that monkey off my back, fortunately I don't really have lasting problems (well . . . my wife may differ on that), any way my email is [email protected] if you want to get in touch w/me.

Offline jeff belflower

• View Profile
Any suggestions?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2001, 03:16:16 PM »
I was pur in straight in feb. 1981, I didn't get out until four years later.  I am 37 years old now. My parents still treat me as if i am a screw up and straight was great. Basically we are all screwed. The way I see it is that we lost our life in that place.  Maybe by putting them in there place, we shall have some sort of retribution. Good luck, I know I need some too. your not alone.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Any suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2001, 08:53:45 PM »
Always look on the bright side
A baby was born and, fortunately, he was healthy and beautiful.

Unfortunately, he was born in the midst of war.

Fortunately, his side won.

Unfortunately, the other side would not give up.

Fortunately, he was taken from the city and came up strong, happy and healthy in an idylic country setting.

Unfortunately, he hadn't a clue what was happening when the rebels came to burn down the estate.

Fortunately, his unfortunate cousin, who was older and had been a veteran of many battles in this long war, understood the whole thing with clarity and was able to forge the beginning of a lasting peace.

Ya' just never know how things might have been.

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://trebach.org/conference.html'>Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes