Author Topic: L.I.F.E.  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
L.I.F.E.
« on: July 23, 2002, 10:05:00 AM »
I know a little about that. LIFE was in Osprey. It opened just before Straight, Sarasota, so around `80 or so. I went to school with a couple of people from there and actually walked away from an intake interview just after I'd split Straight, turned 18 and tried for the last time to get along with my mother.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 12:50:00 PM »
Life opened while straight st. pete was still in operation.  It expanded to Tallahassee and has since been renamed "turn-about"  I don't know too much about it now, although I have friends that are graduates adn they say it was a mind fuck, just like straight.   I think I may pay them a visit...................

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 11:35:00 AM »
I remember that bitch Miss Peterman. She was a ruthless hatful woman with alot of hate inside.

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2002, 03:42:00 PM »
Life is for Everyone.  A plain and unassuming name for a drug treatment program.
I believe the program first opened in August of 1980.  I went on a long road trip with Chuck Cannon around mid September of 1980 and we visited the place.  We met with Mrs. Pete, took part in a rap, and tortured the kids by eating McDonalds food in front of them.  Mrs. Pete had good intentions I guess, they had real good food for the kids and group size was kept down to a reasonable level so that the program had more quality.  It was not the festering hellhole that the rest of us had to endure.
Some serious shit had gone down back in St, Pete and she would not go into details, but she did imply that Miller Newton was doing shit that could lead to criminal indictments and she felt it was best to move on.  I think it would be far more profitable to stop looking at her as the Wicked Witch of the West and maybe see that she was a power mad single mother who got in over her head.
Miller Newton came to straight driving a 1976 Chevrolet Caprice Classic station wagon.
I believe his second car was a Volvo sedan.
Within 3 months both him and his piss-bag of a wife were driving new Mercedes.  Helen Petermann still drove her 1974 Mustang Grande and it was parked at the LIFE building when we visited.  What I want to know is what kind of back room board meeting deals went down with Miller Newton and the "Straight Advisory Board."  Conspiracy and Racketeering are Federal crimes.  It would be ironic as hell if we could bring these scumbags to justice using the RICO laws that they themselves had lobbied to enact!!
As for the Tallahassee LIFE, it got it's start in October or November of 1980.  No one had graduated the first program yet, so all they had to pull from were Straight Inc. graduates.  What they wound up with were basically the misfit 7 steppers from St. Pete who could not get a good job because of poor school performance, or plain stupidity , yet they craved the attention and authority.  My stepbrother Mike was one of them, as well as Robert Lee, a blonde chick named Debbie that was his girlfriend, and a plump girl from Seminole named Bonnie Caraway.  The fact that all the staff were boyfriend and girlfriend was a disaster from the start.  Both girls wound up pregnant, my brother ran back home to mama so fast he almost melted the engine in his piece of crap Galaxy 500, and I was forced into having to answer the phone for him and listen to his shattered girlfriend blubber on and on, until I ripped the phone cord out of the wall.  The Tallahassee LIFE closed around May of 1981 I think.  Mike Murphy and Aimee Wrong may have been a part of it, but I am not really sure, because I was on my way to having a nervous breakdown.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 10:32:00 PM »
Sarasota L.I.F.E. AND Sarasota Straight were both operating at the same time,L.I.F.E. being the "offshoot" of Sarasota Straight.
I remember I was in LIFE and my neighbors were in Straight.I will never forget the menecing mutual stares exchanged over the hedge like rivals from opposite teams when we would arrive home an the same time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 07:16:00 AM »
I know alot about l.i.f.e. I was in the program in 1989. I went to one of the many expansion programs called STEP in Tampa. Many fond memories of Mrs. Pete. My email is [email protected] if you have any questions.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »
I was in the LIFE program as well.  Actually I spent almost two years there from Jan 1988 to Jan 1989.  I didn't think it was still around though.  I tried to get my medical records from there and was told that they had been shredded.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »
I spent four months in LIFE in 1984.  I am actually surprised that I am finding more about cult-like methods regarding Straight, Inc. than LIFE.

Helen Petermann (Note: While I there, her name was written Helen Peteman, no "R", no second "N") was the "Executive Staff" member.

The experience was a nightmare.

My own long story aside, I was wondering if anyone knew why LIFE wasn't investigated the way Straight was.  I am asking because many of the testimonies I have read from Straight survivors parallel those of LIFE survivors. :???:
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 12:40:00 PM »
Hi Sarah,
  I was in Straight, Sarasota from `80 -` 82 and went to school with a couple of LIFERS. From what I understand, Straight in general and Sarasota branch in particular just went way, way off the chain around late `82 till they imploded under pressure. A lot of ppl got pulled from Straight and placed in LIFE.

Eventually, they did get investigated and shut down. Interesting about Mrs. P. operating under an alias. What's up with that?

Do you support drug prohibition because it finances criminals at home or because it finances terrorists abroad?
--Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »
I wish I knew what was "up" with any of it.  For the past 19 years, I chalked it up to a bad experience and moved on.

I actually did return to the building in 1990.  I figured I would show up unannounced and demand my records, but the building was deserted.  I've read in various places that LIFE just shredded documents and "went away"... which is probably how they avoided justice.

Offline KIDSofEP

• View Profile
    • http://www.kidsofelpaso.com
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 06:19:00 PM »
Did you ever know a Jenny H*pe while in LIFE?  She later was in KIDS of Bergen County, KIDS of El Paso and then again in KIDS of Northern Jersey/Bergen County.  Just curious...

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 10:49:00 AM »
I'm not sure - I remember only a few people, and not very well.  But a face does flash to mind on that one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 10:21:00 PM »
I called the program in the early 90s and was told that my entire file had been shredded.  I thought that sucked because it had my medical records in it too.  I haven't even been by the building since the day  that I left in January 1990.
Cristin

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 11:36:00 PM »
When I was in LIFE from Jan 88 to Jan 90, Ms Pete was known as Helen Peterman.  I don't know why she would have changed it half way through but I know that was the way it was spelled because I still have stuff that she wrote to me when I was in PT.  

Ever since I found this site, I have given those two years alot of thought and it makes me so mad that I wasted so much of my teen years in that stupid building.  My mother and I talk about it and she keeps telling me that had she known what was going on, she would have never kept me there.  It is crazy to think that 13 years later, we are finally starting to discuss that place.  
cristin

Offline GypSeA

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2003, 10:37:00 PM »
I was in LIFE from 85 - 88. I actually decided to get some closure and drove to Sarasota to visit the "building" a couple of weeks ago.  Actually thats how I found this site.  cause when I saw that "life" was no longer there I got curious.  My name is Christi....anyone heard from or remember Brittney? Patty?    Over the years I decided to write a book on my "life" experience...still on page one...lol.  I think I read in a posting that someone thought that once mrs Pete left straight and went to LIFE she was better...well thats bullshit, I saw here drag a few kids by the hair.....Hey, did you guys know she was a high school drop out?

C