Author Topic: Bush plans to screen whole US population for mental illness  (Read 15069 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Bush plans to screen whole US population for mental illness
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2004, 11:41:00 PM »
The UK banned all SSRIs except Prozac, for minors, and it looks like it's got some real problems too.
Not to mention, the stuff is turning up in our municipal water sources. (Probably in addition to Zoloft, Wellbutrin, etc etc etc)

http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story.cf ... -04&cat=AN
Study finds Prozac may inhibit bone growth in children
By LEE BOWMAN
Scripps Howard News Service
November 11, 2004

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/ ... 22315.html
Prozac May Stunt Growing Bones
By E.J. Mundell
HealthDay Reporter

And is this any surprise?
http://www.hoinews.com/news/headlines/1177456.html

Ritalin Addiction Hits Local Teens
HOI 19 News Illinois
Monica Landeros
Kids in the Heart of Illinois are getting addicted to a very common prescription drug.
Ritalin is giving them an amphetamine-like high that helps them hyper-focus on schoolwork.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2004, 10:47:00 PM »
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... an/2898808

Nov. 12, 2004, 11:39PM

Strayhorn will probe drug use on children
Comptroller asks for medical data on children in foster care
By POLLY ROSS HUGHES
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN - Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn launched an investigation Friday into potential fraud and abuse in a foster care system that spends $4 million a year on mind-altering drugs, even for children of preschool age.

"Physicians are prescribing these drugs for children as young as 3 years old," Strayhorn said.

"I can't imagine prescribing mind-altering drugs for a 3-year-old baby."

Strayhorn said she's asking the Health and Human Services Commission to hand over detailed Medicaid records so she can track which drugs are prescribed for individual foster care children and whether fraudulent patterns exist.

"I am requesting prescription drug and claims data for foster children for an entire year to determine whether these medications are being prescribed to make the children more submissive," she said, "or to line the pockets of unscrupulous and uncaring doctors and pharmaceutical companies, or both."

The Texas Medical Association issued a statement saying Strayhorn has "serious misunderstanding" about the use of such drugs in children and said her examination so far does not put the drug data in a clinical context to tell whether the drugs were prescribed appropriately.

"Hogwash," she responded, adding that she understands the drugs have not been approved for use in children.

"I also understand that no child needs to be on 14 different drugs, and I severely question a 3-year-old being put on (the antipsychotic) Risperdal and a radiologist in San Antonio prescribing psychotropic drugs to children in El Paso."

Privacy concerns
Health and Human Services Commission spokeswoman Jennifer Harris said that the commission's inspector general and the Department of State indicated that Strayhorn's request will be subject to federal privacy law.

"We're willing to provide her with any information that she requests as long as it doesn't violate federal law protecting a patient's privacy," she said, adding that the commission already is overseeing a similar study.

HHSC's Inspector General Brian Flood and Health Commissioner Eduardo Sanchez are conducting a broad review into all children who receive Medicaid and are prescribed psychiatric drugs, but Strayhorn wishes to specifically examine medications prescribed to abused or neglected children in the state's foster care custody.

The commission oversees four major social service agencies and reports directly to Strayhorn's political rival Gov. Rick Perry.

Earlier report cited
Strayhorn spokesman Mark Sanders said Strayhorn, as chairman of a Medicaid fraud task force that reports to the Legislature every two years, already has access to confidential Medicaid information and has authorization to sign confidentiality agreements with the agency.

Widespread psychiatric drug use in foster children came under scrutiny earlier this year in Strayhorn's major report, "Forgotten Children," which also detailed physical and sexual abuse of foster care children and unsanitary living conditions.

"My report uncovered the fact that large numbers of psychotropic drugs are being prescribed to children in the foster care system, even though, according to the Food and Drug Administration, many of these drugs are not labeled for use in children and have serious side effects such as suicidal tendencies, diabetes and cardiac arrhythmia," Strayhorn said.

She said she was alarmed that in her review of a single month of data, two antipsychotic drugs - Risperdal and Zyprexa - made up half of the drugs prescribed to foster children.

Federal warning issued
Last June, these two drugs, along with Clozaril, Seroquel, Geodon and Abilify, became subject to a Food and Drug Administration warning of dangerous side effects.

The warning states the drugs carry an increased risk for hyperglycemia and diabetes and that the safety and effectiveness of the drugs has not been established for children.

The FDA also issued a warning last spring that adults and children taking 10 commonly prescribed antidepressants must be closely monitored for worsening depression and increased risk of suicide.

The drugs include Paxil, Luvox, Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Serzone and Remeron.

Parents who joined Strayhorn at a press conference credited her actions for helping save the lives of children.

Child heard 'voices'
Lori Holland of Austin said her son experienced highly disturbing side effects when placed under powerful psychiatric drugs.

On Zyprexa, he began hearing "voices in his head," she said.

"He put on a tremendous amount of weight, 85 pounds to be exact," she said, adding that as doctors continued to increase his medications starting at age 5, he experienced troubles in school and with the law and was hospitalized repeatedly.

Holland said she thinks her son's problems were the result of post-traumatic stress after suspected sexual abuse around the age of 4 or 5 years old.

She said he was removed from his family's home as a preteen when he committed a crime that victimized a younger child in the home.

After being sent to a facility in Lockhart called Pegasus, she said, he has been weaned off the psychiatric drugs, is attending high school and playing baseball.

Earlier, DEPENDING ON THE DOCTOR IN CHARGE!!!, he was variously diagnosed as suffering from attention deficit disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or sociopathy.

[That's a common and serious problem with 'subjective' dx. No objective tests, no biological markers. It's anyone's guess, literally. Don't let your child be a guinea pig. Decline mental health screening in your public school.]

[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2004, 11:56:00 PM »
If you really want to know, get a CAT scan.  CAT scans of normal brains don't look the same as CAT scans of people with certain specific mental health problems.

Yes, it's still "subjective" on the part of the neurologist looking at the CAT scan, because noticing the differences is a relatively new thing and *most* people are fine with the "subjective" diagnosis from a psychiatrist without going to the expense of getting a CAT scan.

It's certainly *possible* to develop objective tests for mental illnesses---it's not that it's not *possible*---you can do a spinal tap and measure serotonin levels, for example.

The "problem" (if there is one) is with demand.  Most people would rather take their psychiatrist's word for it based on the diagnostic criteria in the DSM IV than go through expensive tests like spinal taps and CAT scans.

It's not that many people don't genuinely have serious mental illnesses that *need* medical treatment---take bipolar disorder as an example.  2% of the population.  Well, 2 out of 100 sounds like just a few, until you figure that there are about 290 *million* people in the country.

It's not that those disorders aren't genuinely physically, medically based.

It's not that it's not *possible* to develop objective tests.

What it is is that a whole lot of people are less concerned about the subjectivity of the diagnostic process than you are, and more concerned with getting their problems effectively treated.

And so they aren't willing to develop an objective test that would be *very* expensive when the subjective criteria are working---from their (and my) perspective.

I'm not saying you're wrong to want objective lab tests.

I'd like for there to be objective lab tests, and so would probably every psychiatrist or psychologist out there.

I just don't think the benefit to be gained from an objective test is more than the cost and expense of such tests *at our current level of technology*.

Now when and if CAT scans get cheaper, or we identify the genes involved and can use them to supplement other diagnostic criteria to avoid misidentifying one disease as another, or in combination with some sort of test that tells us whether the genetic vulnerability has been triggered----when we get objective tests that are cost effective, and sooner or later we will, I'll be very glad.

But right now, I'm more concerned for my early-onset bipolar daughter that she get and stay stabilized on medication because she's crippled without it.

For most of us that have mentally ill children, or who are mentally ill ourselves, we're a lot more concerned with getting effective treatment.  Getting some sort of lab test to confirm the diagnosis is secondary---and a distant second at that.

Yes, psychiatric medications can have potentially serious side effects, but those side effects do not occur in all patients----and there are a lot of patients that experience very few of the side effects, and the minor ones at that.

For patients who do experience side effects on a particular medication, the pdoc just changes them to a different medication if at all possible until they find a med or combination of meds that stabilizes that patient as much as possible with as few side-effects for that patient as possible.

You act like those side effects are definite risks  to all patients that are going to hurt them with no possibility of mitigating the hurt.

My personal experience has been that pdocs monitor very carefully for the emergence of side effects when the patient is on a new med or a new dose of the old med, and if side effects occur for that patient that are too severe, they discontinue that medication and try the next med(s) most likely to help.

It's just like drug allergies.  If you're allergic to penicillin, it can kill you.  So if you, personally, are allergic to penicillin, then you, personally, don't take it.  *Other* patients who are *not* allergic to penicillin are in virtually no danger of dying from the stuff.

My daughter takes Risperdal and Zoloft.  They help her, a lot.  If she gets bad side effects, the doc will deal with it.  We are, of course, keeping a close watch.

But I grew up as an early onset bipolar with no meds, and I wouldn't wish the first twenty-five years of my life on my worst enemy.

Being bipolar II on no meds was the worst kind of hell---something you can't even imagine if you haven't lived through it.  And I damned nearly *didn't* live through it.

I hope anyone on here who reads your stuff who has been diagnosed with a mental illness, or whose child has been diagnosed with a mental illness, will seek and heed 2nd and even 3rd opinions from qualified psychiatrists about their diagnosis and recommended treatment plan, and will not take *anyone's* word for it over the internet----yours, mine, or jane blogger's.

Your Mileage May Vary.  Consult your doctor.  If in doubt, consult one or two more doctors.  

But don't decide to either take up or forego particular psychiatric treatments based on stuff you read on the internet.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »
shrinks say they are not addictive but try stop taking them after you have taken them for months. are they addictive legally?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
Yeh, they are like a cruch and leave people dependent.
When you take drugs to create brain chemicals, your body can and does loose its ability to produce them.
So your symptoms may be gone, but you're not doing anything to 'fix' the underlying deficiencies. And you may have to take other drugs to lessen the undesirable side effects of the original drug.
I'd rather find natural ways to restore proper amounts of brain chemicals, and save my brain and organs from damage.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »
On 2004-11-18 15:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Yeh, they are like a cruch and leave people dependent.

When you take drugs to create brain chemicals, your body can and does loose its ability to produce them.

So your symptoms may be gone, but you're not doing anything to 'fix' the underlying deficiencies. And you may have to take other drugs to lessen the undesirable side effects of the original drug.

I'd rather find natural ways to restore proper amounts of brain chemicals, and save my brain and organs from damage."

Well, if you don't have bipolar disorder, major depression, or schizophrenia, you have that luxury and that right.

Even if you do have bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, you have that right unless and until you become dangerous to yourself or others.

Even if you do become dangerous to yourself or others, you have the right to sit in the psych ward unmedicated if you just really don't want to take medication.

But if you're dangerous off medication and you want to walk around loose, then you have to take the medication.

And if you want to avoid the problem getting serious enough to get you committed in the first place, you're better off taking the medication.

Hey, it's your life, and your problem.

*My* life is much better with the appropriate medication, and *I* choose to take it rather than risk the damage to my relationships, my life, and my future by walking around crazy.

As long as you aren't immediately dangerous to others, and aren't trying to keep me from being able to take the meds, your decision to take or not take them is your business.

I talk about this, partly, because the anti-drug fanatics are so effing scary to me---I'm really afraid that someday they'll make psychiatric medication either illegal or hard to get if those of us whose lives are improved on it don't keep saying, "Waitaminute.  Reality check."

So I support your right not to take it if you're not dangerous.

But it's my right to take it because it improves my life immeasurably.

As long as we're both clear that each of us has the right to go to hell in his own way, we don't have a problem.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2004, 11:48:00 AM »
There is NO doubt in my mind that any american who wants to take drugs (legal that is) will ever be denied the right to do so. It's big business and they are happy to sell you what you want.

On the other hand, and what advocates are opposed to is the industry/government FORCING other to be screened and/or commited and/or drugged against their will.

I think you can relax.

And yes, there are alternatives for all so-called 'mental illnesses', even bipolar and schizophrenia and major depression. It should ba a right to address those problems how one chooses, and reject screening.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2004, 02:46:00 PM »
And don't think that the FDA is going to keep people safe.

http://www.newstarget.com/002439.html
FDA named "Fraud and Drug Administration" by consumer health advocacy group
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, under sharp criticism for its drug safety behavior involving anti-inflammatory drugs, antidepressants, and the silencing of its own drug safety scientists, has been offered a new name today: the Fraud and Drug Administration.
http://www.antidepressantsnews.com/001465.html
http://www.newstarget.com/000668.html

The winning name was chosen from among hundreds of entries submitted by health consumers fed up with the FDA's apparent mission to protect the profits of drug companies. Other name ideas submitted by health consumers include:
http://www.newstarget.com/001529.html
http://www.pharmawatch.info/001810.html

Faster Death to Americans
Failure to Defend Americans
Fact Distortion Agency
Fund Dubya's Administration
Forever Drug Americans
Fraudulent Drug Approvals
Furtherment of Disease Alliance
Farcical Drug Authority
Federal Disinformation Association
Favoring Draconian Actions
Federal Drug Advocates
Facilitating the Drugging of America
Falsify and Distort Agency
Fatal Death Agency

The contest was initiated by NewsTarget.com editor Mike Adams, a consumer advocate and outspoken critic of the FDA who has called for a criminal investigation of the FDA and Vioxx manufacturer Merck. Just this week, the U.S. Justice Department launched a criminal investigation into Merck's apparent cover-up in neglecting to pull Vioxx off the market even though the company was apparently aware that the drug substantially increased the risk of heart attacks, strokes and sudden death, according to internal emails published by the Wall Street Journal.
http://www.reformthefda.org/001491.html
http://www.newstarget.com/002155.html
http://www.newstarget.com/002058.html

The FDA is also under intense scrutiny by legislators. In recent Senate hearings, medical scientist David Graham, who conducts drug safety research for the FDA, described the agency as "incapable of protecting America." He also stated his belief that Vioxx may be responsible for well over 100,000 heart attacks and strokes, not the 27,000 that has been widely reported. Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., has called for new oversight of the FDA, asserting that the agency has misled the American public on multiple occasions.
http://www.newstarget.com/000040.html

NewsTarget.com readers have been following the ongoing Merck / FDA scandal through a series of blogs and commentary posted by Adams, a 35 year old holistic nutritionist who pubicly posts his own blood chemistry lab results as proof that Americans don't need prescription drugs to be healthy. (His own LDL cholesterol is 67.) Adams characterizes the FDA / drug company cooperation as a "drug racket" designed to squeeze consumers for profits at the expense of public safety.
http://www.prescriptionwarning.com/001352.html
http://www.cholesterolnews.org/001354.html
http://www.publichealthnews.org/001464.html

"I was ecstatic to see the level of participation in this FDA naming contest," Adams explained. "It indicates there is widespread discontent among the public concerning the FDA's actions on Vioxx and other drugs. It says that the American public is fed up with being lied to by the FDA and drug companies. The people are demanding serious FDA reform."
http://www.newstarget.com/002157.html

For more information, visit http://www.NewsTarget.com

About the author:
Author Mike Adams is a holistic nutritionist with over 4,000 hours of study on nutrition, wellness, food toxicology and the true causes of disease and health. He is well versed on nutritional and lifestyle therapies for weight loss and disease prevention / reversal. View Adams' health statistics showing LDL cholesterol of 67 and outstanding blood chemistry. Adams uses no prescription drugs whatsoever and relies exclusively on natural health, nutrition and exercise to achieve optimum health. He serves as the executive director of the Consumer Wellness Research Center and is author of several books about health and nutrition, including The Five Soft Drink Monsters and Superfoods For Optimum Health. In his spare time, Adams engages in pilates, cycling, strength training, gymnastics and comedy improv training. In the technology industry, Adams is president and CEO of a well known email marketing software company.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
I wouldn't say for myself because of a chemical imbalance that it would have any effect on my destiny. I rule that out. Certain substances are benificial to the payient, but one has to do his/her own work to get to where they want to go. The drugs aren't a cure, The are there to block neurologigal mistakes in te brain and make ones nuerons fire correctly. The rest is up to the individual.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
Consumers should read some of the stories of 'forced drugging' to fully understand how they could get tangled in the psych/cps web for refusing to drug their children.

http://www.drugawareness.org/Archives/S ... index.html

This one is particularly horrendous:
http://www.drugawareness.org/Archives/S ... d0081.html
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »
For Immediate Release: November 22, 2004

Government Tells Families to Discuss/Document Health History on Thanksgiving

(Washington, D.C.)--The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) has declared this Thanksgiving the first annual "National Family History Day." HHS is encouraging American families to discuss and document medical histories during Thanksgiving. Citizens also are being told to share their family's health data with their doctors.

"But a lot of people do not realize what happens with personal family information once it's out of their hands. Federal law says that after personal family information is shared with health-care providers, the data can be released to many others (such as insurance companies and public-health officials) without families' consent," says Sue A. Blevins, president of the Institute for Health Freedom. "Moreover, in most instances citizens don't have a right to find out to whom their family health information was released."

With the passage of the so-called federal medical privacy rule, Americans lost their long-standing right to health privacy. That rule eliminated individuals' right to give or withhold consent before their medical information-including genetic information-is shared with many others. "When the misnamed federal medical 'privacy' rule came in the door, out went true health privacy," stresses Blevins. "A great number of people remain extremely concerned about the lack of medical privacy. In fact, more than 5,000 citizens have filed complaints with the federal government alleging breaches of health privacy," Blevins points out.

"Regardless of the lack of true medical privacy, it is not the federal government's role to tell families how to spend their Thanksgiving holiday," Blevins says.

Related Links:

"A Good Way to Spend Thanksgiving?" by Sheldon Richman
http://www.forhealthfreedom.org/Publica ... iving.html

"HHS Launches New Family Health History Initiative"
http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2004pres/20041108a.html

"U.S. Surgeon General's Family History Initiative"
http://www.hhs.gov/familyhistory/

"Family History for Preventive Medicine and Public Health"
http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/activities/FHx/fHix_fs.htm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »
Might 'defiant', 'non compliant' citizens who have been screened and lableled with a dx, be subjected to forced/manditory 'brain implants'?

Everything you ever wanted to know about implants:
 http://www.mindfreedom.org/mindfreedom/implant_1.shtml

Don't miss the links to 'structural brain changes' caused by neuroleptics.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
TeenScreen Exposed
(Nothing but Drug Pushers)

The drug pushers on street corners from yesteryear are now gathered under the banner "TeenScreen".

TeenScreen http://www.teenscreen.org/ is a "diagnostic psychiatric service" which is nothing more than a sales gimmick of the pharmaceutical industry. .

TeenScreen is a so-called "suicide" survey done on children who are then referred to psychiatric treatment. The evidence suggests that the objective of the designers of TeenScreen is to place children so selected on psychotropic medication. (The New York Post, December 5, 2004)

"It's just a way to put more people on prescription drugs," said Marcia Angell, a medical ethics lecturer at Harvard Medical School and author of "The Truth About Drug Companies." She said such programs will boost the sale
of antidepressants like Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac even after the FDA in September ordered a "black box" label warning that the pills might spur
suicidal thoughts or actions in minors. (The New York Post, December 5, 2004)

TeenScreen attempts to create in the media a SUICIDE HYSTERIA, when in fact suicides are on the decline. The suicide rate for ages 10 to 19 fell from 6.2 deaths per 100,000 people in 1992 to 4.6 per 100,000 in 2001, according to the Center for Disease Control. In 1991, 10 of 100,000 people in Florida ages 10-24 committed suicide. By 1999, that number had dropped to six out of 100,000.

TeenScreen was developed by psychiatrist David Shaffer of Columbia University and New York State Psychiatric Institute's Division of Child &
Adolescent Psychiatry. Shaffer, according to the Integrity in Science Database, (type in "Shaffer") is a paid consultant and apologist of pharmaceutical companies. As a consultant, Shaffer has served as an expert witness for Hoffman la Roche, and Wyeth and as a consultant to
GlaxoSmithKline on paroxetine (Paxil or Seroxat) and adolescent suicide.

In December of 2003 British drug regulators recommended against the use of antidepressants in the treatment of depressed children under 18 because some of the drugs had been linked to suicidal thoughts and self-harm. According to a December 11, 2003, New York Times article, Shaffer at the request of Pfizer, (the maker of Zoloft) attempted to block the British findings,
sending a letter to the British drug agency saying that there was insufficient data to restrict the use of the drugs in adolescents.

Just this last October, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, announced that all medications used to treat depression must carry a black box warning label, advising that children and teens may become suicidal when taking the drugs. According to a February 3, 2004, New York Times article, Shaffer opposed the FDA regulation, and argued to the FDA's scientific advisory panel that any drop in suicide over the last few years was caused by the growing use of antidepressants!

However, overwhelming evidence indicates that psychiatric drugs are not preventing suicides, they are causing them.

On January 1, 2005, the British Medical Journal, on the heels of the FDA black box warning, reported that the FDA has agreed to review confidential drug company documents that went missing during a controversial product liability suit more than 10 years ago. The documents indicate a link between the drug fluoxetine (Prozac), made by Eli Lilly, and suicide attempts and violence.

In Pinellas County, Florida, an ongoing research project has already established that a large majority of teens who committed suicide were on
psychotropic drugs or had received psychiatric treatment. In the years 2002 and 2003, 81% OF THE SUICIDES were either on psychotropic drugs or had
received psychiatric treatment. This percentage may rise as the research continues.

TeenScreen and Columbia University refuse to divulge who is funding TeenScreen. One corner of the Internet did give a clue to the funding. Eli
Lilly, (the pharmaceutical company) funded the TeenScreen program in Tennessee. (See page 4, left, mid-page).

Although the name TeenScreen was not mentioned, the New York Times, reported, on December 17, 1998 that William J. Ruane, an investment advisor
put $8 million into the screening research of Shaffer, the TeenScreen psychiatrist.

As far back as 1995, Ruane already had "longstanding relationship" (see bottom of reference) with Shaffer. In June of 1995 the Ruanes funded a professorship of Pediatric Psychopharmacology at Columbia University which
"supported training and research into the effectiveness of psychopharmacological agents in treating childhood psychiatric disorders".

The Psychiatric Times reported in March of 1998 that Ruane and wife Joy, gave 1.5 million to study the effects of psychiatric medication in children to the New York State Psychiatric Institute, Shaffer's home base.

According to a New York Post article in 1999, the New York State Psychiatric Institute conducted experiments on kids, some as young as 6, with the
powerful mood-altering drug Prozac and failed to tell the children or their parents about the most serious risks. While testing Prozac on 30 severely
depressed patients ages 12 to 18, researcher's notes indicated, "Some patients have been reported to have an increase in suicidal thoughts and/or violent behavior". Records showed that at least four experiments used Prozac on young children including one funded by Prozac's manufacturer, Eli Lilly Co.

Laurie Flynn, the PR for TeenScreen, searches out teens who have committed suicide and then writes letters to the editors throughout the country,
promoting TeenScreen as the "solution". Flynn is no stranger to the pharmaceutical industry. She formally served as the head of the National
Alliance for the Mentally Ill which received millions of dollars from pharmaceutical companies.

In Florida, David Shern of the Florida Mental Health Institute is attempting to lobby the Pinellas County School Board to change its policy on anonymous surveys of children. He wants the school board policy changed so that he can
obtain the child's name after he does his "suicide" survey. He does not want student surveys to be anonymous, as they are now under existing regulations.

The Florida Mental Health Institute under Shern's direction has received $120,000 from Columbia's TeenScreen. It is not known as of yet how this
money was spent, but a public records request has been submitted for documents. Mr. Shern and his FMHI have also received a grant from Eli Lilly
in the amount of $249,420 for a study on the use of antipsychotic drugs.

As to studies on TeenScreen itself, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (top U.S. Government Research outfit) report of May of 2004 states:

A. There is no evidence that screening for suicide risk reduces suicide attempts or mortality.

B. There is limited evidence on the accuracy of screening tools to identify suicide risk.

C. There is insufficient evidence that treatment of those at high risk reduces suicide attempts or mortality.

D. No studies were found that directly address the harms of screening and treatment for suicide risk. TeenScreen and their drug pushers: Shaffer, Flynn, and Shern will certainly not tell you about this either:

TeenScreen was established in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1997. According to a 2003 Tulsa World newspaper article, Mike Brose, executive director of the
Mental Health Association in Tulsa, stated: "To the best of my knowledge, this is the highest number of youth suicides we've ever had during the
school year -- a number we find very frightening."

So much for the workability of TeenScreen.

In Colorado (3rd section from the bottom) over 350 youths were suicide screened using TeenScreen's survey. They found that over 50% were at risk of suicide. That's not science! That's a dream come true for pharmaceutical
company marketing types and bean counters.

Mark Taylor, who was shot several times during the April 1999 massacre at Columbine high schools says that programs like TeenScreen experiment on
kids, who will eventually end up on psychotropic drugs, according to an August 16, 2002 Arizona Republic article. He attributes the Columbine
incident to the fact that the shooters were on antidepressants. He pleads to stop the drugging of students.

TeenScreen is purely and simply a marketing scam to sell psychotropic drugs. When they use "even if we save one life" as an argument to arouse emotions in parents that truly care, they are lying. They are not saving lives. TeenScreen is the marketing entrance point for the real killers - psychotropic drugs and the psychotherapists who prescribe them.

TeenScreen, leave the kids alone!

Parents and Teens, remember Columbine!

Click here to send an e-mail to the Pinellas County School Board. Tell them student surveys must remain anonymous. Names of students must not be given to the drug pushers!

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2005, 09:08:00 PM »
From an ally:
Ironic, my daughter C brought home just yesterday about doing the Screen Teen thing. Of course I declined she participate. It seems the whole  
Freshmen class was asked to get permission to take the test. They of course mentioned on the bottom of the paper how if you think your child is in an emergency situation they would be happy to have them evaluated first.
This was a bad time to send this home as yesterday was also the anniversary day of S's death. [Due to psych drugs] I was livid. I let C turn it back into her Geometry teacher with NO as my answer so she gets 5 extra credit points. If it had been a Yes answer she would have gotten 10.

POINTS!!???? For turning in a psych screening form? In GEOMETRY?? What this got to do with geometry? Nothing!! And they shouldn't be passing out points that will enhance one's grade. Why didn't they just threaten to dock them 5 or 10 points if they didn't return it? And the KICKER: 5 for a NO. 10 for a YES. Urghhh.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
On 2004-11-23 06:13:00, Deborah wrote:

Federal law says that after personal family information is shared with health-care providers, the data can be released to many others (such as insurance companies and public-health officials) without families' consent.

Yeah, and it's starting to crop up here and there. Meet

Keith Emerich, 44:

Don't Drink at Home--One Man's Experience
http://www.getmadd.com/DontDrinkatHome.htm

In this Commonwealth, you must bring in an afidavit signed by a physician swearing that you've been examined and deemed fit to drive before they'll issue you a license. Any doctor can be held liable at any time some dumb yenzer claims they got lightheaded, that's why they crashed, it wasn't their fault. Yenzer dodges a ticket, the last doctor to shake hands w/ him in a medical setting faces a threat to their license.

I wish the doctors would take a break from the yucky biology stuff and take a history course once in awhile! You know they're always the first ones up against the wall when the shit really hits the fan.

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another; shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes