Author Topic: Hidden Lake Academy  (Read 39572 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
On 2006-01-06 17:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm glad to see a comment from someone that actually is involved with HLA. I think all these other comments are from parents who have had the wool pulled over their eyes by their bratty kids - HELLO - maybe they should write again after their kid gets sent to jail or develops a major drug problem that almost kils them like my daughter did. No kid likes to be told the rules after they've been used to running the show. These parents should all grow up and have some backbone. They're a bunch of wussies and crybabies and no wonder their kids are having problems. "

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
--H. L. Mencken, American publisher
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »
On 2006-01-06 17:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It's obvious you should have stayed at HLA, you need alot of help."

Seems to me this person has had HLA's brand of help. What they really need, is professional help.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »
On 2006-01-06 18:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-01-06 17:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It's obvious you should have stayed at HLA, you need alot of help."

Seems to me this person has had HLA's brand of help. What they really need, is professional help."

This sounds about right.  HLA and its "program" turn out some really aberrant, deviant people.

In my experience, the program only teaches the patients not to say what they're thinking.  It doesn't change their beliefs.  Oftentimes, after years of bottling up the BS the program inflicts upon them, they just explode when they are no longer constrained by the fear of punishment.

My estimation is that fully half of the program "graduates" come out even worse off than when they went in, they're just sneakier, more manipulative, lie better and generally know how to go about things without getting caught.  Make no mistake, the kids that go there that don't have seriously maladaptive thinking and behaviors learn those very behaviors from the truly disturbed kids they come into contct with and also the staff, who are master manipulators and liars.

I mean, come on, do you REALLY believe some unqualified, pseudo-professional strangers in a cult-like environment in the hills of north Georgia are going to FIX your kid?  Get real.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
The staff credentials listed on their website show masters degree counselors. Maybe when you were there they weren't as qualified, but they appear to be so now.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
On 2006-01-07 10:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The staff credentials listed on their website show masters degree counselors. Maybe when you were there they weren't as qualified, but they appear to be so now."

"Qualified" is a term that needs qualification.

Simply because someone has a master's degree means absolutely nothing when one takes into consideration that the program itself has been shown by numerous longitudinal studies to be ineffective at best and damaging at worst.

Taking into account that HLA-like programs DO NOT WORK for mental health treatment, what kind of "professional" would employ this type of program?  Well, I submit that no professional therapist would use this type of behavior modification system because they know full well that they will not acheive the desired results.  Therefore, the people who employ these tactics and methods cannot be considered professionals.

I'll give you a different example.  If your car was broken down and you took it to an ASE certified mechanic (you would assume a "professional" based on their credentials) and rather than diagnosing your vehicle with a computer, isolating the trouble and fixing it, he began to kick the fenders over and over with steel-toed boots, I think you'd question whether or not he's a professional.

HLA employees may have an education, but they certainly don't apply it.  If they did, they'd say to themselves "What the fuck am I doing here?"  That is exactly what happened in my case.  

I knew after a very short period of time working there that HLA did not provide proper and adequate mental health services to their clients.  I left because I could not reconcile the way things are SUPPOSED to be done with the way things ARE done at HLA.  If you'd like, I can certainly provide you with links to proper scientific studies that prove without doubt that the methodology employed by HLA and HLA-like RTC's simply fails to produce results.

And, please, before you fly off the handle, I am an MSW and also an MBA.  I think I am qualified in both respects to speak to the practices HLA uses in both their "program" and their business.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
I think this is a good place to point out that the Teen Behavior Modification industry has a very long history of lying about the credentials of the employees.  They also have a long history of listing people with impressive-sounding credentials as staff, when those people are seldom, if ever there.  Also, many of the students at TBM facilities have historically completed their entire stay with one or two contacts, at most, with credentialed professionals.

Since there are no consumer protection laws, there are few licensing requirements, and there is almost no oversight to enforce what licensing requirements there are, buying services from a TBM facility is very much like buying patent medicines before the FDA was created and started requiring ingredients to be listed on the labels.

You don't know what's in the bottle.

Even when there's a label on the bottle, there's no oversight or enforcement to say that what the label says is what's really in the bottle.

Even with modern labelling laws, say you buy something like a "fruit drink" that says on the label, "With real fruit juice!"  What you're likely to get is 90% sugar water and a 10% mix of mostly water with a very little boiled down fruit concentrate.

There is no consumer protection, and no oversight to ensure that the staff listed really have those credentials, really are staff, or that the kids there spend a significant amount of time with those folks.

It's all caveat emptor, and the track record of the industry is not good.

Because parents are told not to believe anything their kid says, the parents have no way of verifying what's in that bottle of patent medicine.

Buying snake oil off the back of a wagon from a slick salesman with a good line of gab is a real dumb way to try to heal, "fix," or "help" your kid.

I gotta wonder if the parents who think these places are good ideas also send money to televangelists, buy weight loss products from TV ads, buy penis enlargers from spammers, and have close email relationships with wealthy nigerian princes.

How many of these people give out their information when PayPal emails them asking for them to "verify" their account information?  How many give out their credit card information when the card company calls to "verify" their number?

How many of them have bought Amway or sent money to claim sweepstakes prizes?

How many have bought their meds *cheap!* over the internet?

Dang, I would love to play poker with some of these people.  Especially if they let me deal.  We'll use my cards, 'k?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
On 2006-01-07 11:56:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"

On 2006-01-07 10:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The staff credentials listed on their website show masters degree counselors. Maybe when you were there they weren't as qualified, but they appear to be so now."

"Qualified" is a term that needs qualification.

Simply because someone has a master's degree means absolutely nothing when one takes into consideration that the program itself has been shown by numerous longitudinal studies to be ineffective at best and damaging at worst.

Taking into account that HLA-like programs DO NOT WORK for mental health treatment, what kind of "professional" would employ this type of program?  Well, I submit that no professional therapist would use this type of behavior modification system because they know full well that they will not acheive the desired results.  Therefore, the people who employ these tactics and methods cannot be considered professionals.

I'll give you a different example.  If your car was broken down and you took it to an ASE certified mechanic (you would assume a "professional" based on their credentials) and rather than diagnosing your vehicle with a computer, isolating the trouble and fixing it, he began to kick the fenders over and over with steel-toed boots, I think you'd question whether or not he's a professional.

HLA employees may have an education, but they certainly don't apply it.  If they did, they'd say to themselves "What the fuck am I doing here?"  That is exactly what happened in my case.  

I knew after a very short period of time working there that HLA did not provide proper and adequate mental health services to their clients.  I left because I could not reconcile the way things are SUPPOSED to be done with the way things ARE done at HLA.  If you'd like, I can certainly provide you with links to proper scientific studies that prove without doubt that the methodology employed by HLA and HLA-like RTC's simply fails to produce results.

And, please, before you fly off the handle, I am an MSW and also an MBA.  I think I am qualified in both respects to speak to the practices HLA uses in both their "program" and their business.
"

This is an excellent point.  And absolutely true.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »
Dysfunction Junction worked there over 11 years ago and has no idea whether or not the qualifications of current staff members is adequate or not. This is an assumption on his part.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
DJ is eminantly qualified to discuss the efficacy of the program.  He specifically said that he was not arguing the educational credentials of most of the employees, but rather the effectiveness of the program itself.

He has, on numerous occasions, provided data and links to studies that show the program that HLA uses simply doesn't work.  It matters not when he worked there, although it matters greatly that he did work there in a therapeutic, direct care capacity.  His description of the program goes unchallenged.  Not one single person has ever attempted to disqualify his, nor the mental health community's (NIMH, NIH, etc.) assessment of that program.

So, if your aim is simply to divert attention from the discussion, i.e. the discussion of the effectiveness of HLA's program, well, that won't work.

Considering that you, Suzanne, have never seen any counseling sessions, any group "therapy," have never carried a caseload, and have absolutely no direct knowledge of or educational background to discuss such matters, maybe you should stick to your area of expertise.  

When a discussion is initiated about HLA's mortage rate, you will be an invaluable asset.  However, since you know absolutely nothing about behavior modification or millieu control, you are therefore completely and utterly unqualified to assess any aspect of the program.

DJ's conclusions, supported by copious research by several qualified scientific studies, about the workings of the program and its effectiveness have never been in question.

Try to stick to what you actually know about psychotherapy or social work, which amounts to nil.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »
I am not named Suzanne

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »
Then please state your bona-fides.  What are your credentials to be able to speak about the points in the previous post?

You might want to try using a screenname to avoid confusion.

It's worth noting, though, that you made no attempt to refute the facts posted, but rather are still only serving to distract from the topic.

Don't troll.  Contribute.  you seem not able to form any cogent thoughts on the topic.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
On 2006-01-09 09:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Dysfunction Junction worked there over 11 years ago and has no idea whether or not the qualifications of current staff members is adequate or not. This is an assumption on his part. "

Suzanne, it's fruitless to try to deny your identity.  You are not a technical person, so let me explain once again how this works.

Every time you post you leave an "electronic receipt" of the transaction.  Here are some things I know about your computer from your postings: your IP address, your MAC address (which is the invariant identifier unique to your network interface card used to identify a particular computer) and a few other items that I'll choose not to reveal at this point.

If you want to contribute to the dialogue, please do.  Your attempts to distract from the topic will only result in your being publicly admonished by name.  You can post anonymously all you like, but just remember your UNIQUE IDENTIFIERS don't change just because you decided not to post your name.

I suggest you start using your username or at least signing your posts.  If you continue to distract from the conversation and deny your identity you will only lose whatever shred of believability you currently cling to.

If you continue to lie about your identity I will have no choice but to post the information I have gathered from your computer to prove what I'm saying is true.

-Arnold Schopenhauer[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2006-01-09 11:31 ]
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »
All I know is that my little sister was sent there almost 2 yrs ago and that was the last time I saw her or heard from her. She's not getting my mail, as none of the small checks I sent her were cashed. I can't call her, they just hang up on me or pretend to take a message. The sad part is that my sister never did anything wrong, never once got in trouble, never suspended, arrested, never talks back, never even got a detention at school. She's being punished for being born, as her (our) crappy parents don't want her. The lack of contact is ridiculuous and cruel. How is that therapeutic?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
Please share your story on the threads in the HLA forum.

I'm sorry for your sister and you.  Please post on the other threads where you can get some feedback, ok?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake Academy
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »
On 2006-02-08 13:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"All I know is that my little sister was sent there almost 2 yrs ago and that was the last time I saw her or heard from her. She's not getting my mail, as none of the small checks I sent her were cashed. I can't call her, they just hang up on me or pretend to take a message. The sad part is that my sister never did anything wrong, never once got in trouble, never suspended, arrested, never talks back, never even got a detention at school. She's being punished for being born, as her (our) crappy parents don't want her. The lack of contact is ridiculuous and cruel. How is that therapeutic?"

On 2006-02-10 06:12:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"

On 2006-02-10 06:08:00, HLA Truth wrote:

"

On 2006-02-09 14:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-02-08 15:19:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"Posted: 2006-02-08 13:54:00  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I know is that my little sister was sent there almost 2 yrs ago and that was the last time I saw her or heard from her. She's not getting my mail, as none of the small checks I sent her were cashed. I can't call her, they just hang up on me or pretend to take a message. The sad part is that my sister never did anything wrong, never once got in trouble, never suspended, arrested, never talks back, never even got a detention at school. She's being punished for being born, as her (our) crappy parents don't want her. The lack of contact is ridiculuous and cruel. How is that therapeutic?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I copied this from the HLA thread in the TTI forum.

This is absolutely fucking heartbreaking.

Truth, can you find out what's going on here and see why this kid can't talk to her sister?  Maybe she can PM you?

"

What about this????"

Absolutely have her PM me.  None of this sounds familiar, and it would surprise me if it were true, but I would be happy to look into it."

Thanks, Truth.  I don't have direct contact, but I've solicited a response on another thread.  Hopefully I'll get one and we can go from there.
"
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control