Author Topic: question for Debbie  (Read 4077 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
question for Debbie
« on: July 19, 2002, 10:19:00 AM »
Debbie, you are 43? That makes us the same age, and I think I may know you.
Do you remember a blonde guy from the Seed that went to Lakewood named Greg? Do you remember coming to a track meet at Lakewood and running into me?
I think I got the same person. We got off our program at the same time, went to a couple oldcomer meetings, talked in the parking lot of the Seed. Is this you?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
question for Debbie
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2002, 01:09:00 PM »
I so want to remember you! Yes we are the same age. It is just that my mind has quietly blanked out so much of my youthful life.

I was about 5 ft, light brown shoulder length hair (now blonde and short, courtesy of Loreal LOL), I wore wire rimmed gold glasses, and went to Tyrone Middle School during my time in the Seed, and then to Gibbs, not Lakewood.We lived on 23rd Ave N & 50th St.
I did not go to too many Oldtimers Raps, I vaguely recall being at a person's home attempting to have some type of group there. It that a real memory?
When I received permission to work I worked at Aunt Hatties Restaurant downtown, then acroos the street at Uncle Ed's. I started when I was 14 going on 15 they thought I was 16, so when I turned 17 they thought i was 18--started serving beer & wine.
 Of course that was fine until i left home, then my dad went and told them my age and got me fired. No I did not go home, I just got another job!(after starving for awhile!! LOL)
I hardly recall people by name.The Stephenson's were my foster family, I think the girl's name was Lisa. I remember she had a brother and sister(who golfed)as well, but not the names. I remember Linda & Bob Boudette, Mark Sibilia, Mrs Peterman; but that is about it.
 I remember some faces, I hung out on the South Side Lakewood area following my stint in the Seed, but mainly with older people (in their 20's) from work, because they were less likely to be placed in the Seed and put me at risk of reentering the program.
Those people were Michelle, Ron, Mike, Franklin, Tom Byrd (tbird), Steve Sharpe(DixHollins)....

I don't recall having gone to a track meet, but that is not to say I didn't...Just honestly do not remember much from that time period. I left home in the 11th grade and had small apt downtown and went to work/school via city buses.So I did not do any extracurricular school activites.
I had left my mother's house in Tampa right before my 13th BD to live w/Dad, went to 8th & 9th grades at Tyrone Middle.

It is so strange, to have so few memories. I do not even have a year book or any memorabilia from those years of my life. My husband has lived such a different childhood, He is always so surprised when I bring up another instance of my life following the Seed.
When my son started High School I had to go to the football games, as he was in the Marching Band,I had never even gone to one when I was in High School. So very strange...

Perhaps you can help me to remember some things. I know that I entered the Seed almost as soon as they arrived in St Pete. In fact, it was the first or second Sunday. We were in the warehouse behind Tyrone Sq. Mall. Was that '72 or '73, I can't even remember if I was in the 8th or 9th grade! I had thought it was 8th , but upon reflection it might have been the 9th....do you know?

Thanks for everything.This site has helped me to see that it was not just me that was so damaged in my youth. I had always thought there was just something wrong with me and my family, and while that it true, it is some kind of comfort to know that I am not alone in my feelings.

[ This Message was edited by: MommaDebi on 2002-07-19 10:30 ]
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
question for Debbie
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2002, 09:43:00 PM »
The Seed came to St Pete in Early 73, probably April or May. I was place in there on July 7, 1973, a few months after it opened. Already, there were probably 400 to 500 kids there. I was between 8th and 9th grade. I entered High School for the first time with a Seed T Shirt on.
The girl I described in my last post I had a minor crush on. Sorry it wasn't you. :smile:

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
question for Debbie
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 11:47:00 AM »
Me too! LOL

Thanks for the info, it has helped clear up so issues for me.

I must have gone in April '73 because I do know it had just moved there. So I was 14, Spring means I would have still been in 8th grade, NO wonder I kept vacilating between "was i in 8th or 9th grade", because i was in both!!

I had gone to live w/dad right before 8th grade started. I do know I was no longer in the program when High School started (10th then)! Even though many people at Gibbs gave me such a hard time for neing a "seedling". I do think there was not as many of us at Gibbs as there were at Lakewood. Which makes sense because of the demographics of the area and the program!
 I remember feeling really alone and out of place for such a very long time!
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
question for Debbie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 11:10:00 PM »
Did you go to Tyrone Elementary? I did. Did you know Steve Jordan? Tobey Shay?
I moved away, but we lived behind the pool (elks club) in that neighborhood until I was out of 4th grade, then we moved.

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
question for Debbie
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 08:56:00 AM »
No I went to St Paul's and Temple Beth El until 2nd grade, moved to Tampa (mom's 3rd marriage) until I was out of 7th grade, then i moved to St Pete with my father. Started 8th grade at Tyrone Jr High,the Seed happened, then I went to Gibbs.

Some of those names are familiar to me.Toby Shea seems familiar. Did you know a Steve Levin (Tackle Shack)? Linda or Bob Beaudette? Mark Sibilia?
 I was friends mainly with a Cindy Shook,& Terri Williams before the Seed, since I was new to area and shy... I did not make many friends. I was living with an active alcoholic (did not know that my father was that until I was there) and it was very embarrassing to have people over because it could be a bad place to be.So I quickly learned to not have people in the house.

My father did belong to Elks and we were there quite abit (cheap way to drink)... we lived on 23rd Ave N and 50th St.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
question for Debbie
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 01:36:00 PM »
Get out, I went to Temple Beth El in kindergaten. If we are the same age.....
I was actually kicked out. i was kinda a blonde bully. Here is one story. There was one black girl that went there and she kissed me, and I punched her. Another kid I picked up and dropped on the concrete floor. Remember the big cardboard bulding blocks?

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
question for Debbie
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 02:40:00 PM »
Is not this a small world!! I was in Kindergarten at Temple Beth El, probally the same time!

I have got to tell you though, it is common for survivors (of some of my personal issues before and after the Seed) to have very little memory of times in their life.

So I have had to struggle with this blank slate of most of my life, I have about 5 memories between 4 & 13yrs old, 10 or so of ages 14-19, and I started getting better at about 22 years old.

I have very good memories of the last 20 years or so...see told you I was getting better!

It used to anger and frighten me this lack of knowledge of my own life...until I realised it was my safety mechanism my brain gave me!! So I accept it.

It is interesting to note that this board has allowed me to have more memories surface so that I could heal them. I am very grateful for that!

Thanks again for your kindness.Sure don't seem like the big bully to me!! (LOL)

As an aside, it is truly no wonder that I have never had a religion to bond and believe in! What with Temple Beth El services on the Sabbath, followed by confession Sat afternoons before Mass at St Paul's Sun sabbath.
Then with each of my mother's marriages (she's on #5 now and only 59 yrs old--yes i am 43 almost 44...LOL) came a different religion: Episcopal, Methodist, Prsbyterian (that big on on Tyrone/9thAve N.).....Crazy.Each of them all said they were right!...

[ This Message was edited by: MommaDebi on 2002-07-23 11:46 ]