Author Topic: Raygun- His-story that we shouldn't forget  (Read 7418 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Raygun- His-story that we shouldn't forget
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »
I won't miss the Reagans at all. I'm not in mourning over his passing. If you want to take a day off, shut down your private business or whatever, feel free. That would be your choice. I resent being forced to pay for an extra vacation day for government employees and an entire week off for Congress w/o even having been asked. Do you have any idea the impact on the economy of shutting down mail deliveries and customer service for a day?

I remember the Reagan years. I remember the massive downsizing of full time employment. I remember the advent of property forfeiture, the doubling of the Federal budget and redoubling of all aspects of the drug war. Remember Iran Contra? No? Reagan was no hero. He was a dolt at best and a war criminal at worst.

He who laughs lasts
--Crazy Mac

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »
I too am mourning- for all those who suffered and/or died on his watch. For many, he was not a hero.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2004, 09:34:00 PM »
This week long tribute is not just an exercise in nostaglia, it is an exercise in respect.  Respect for the office of the president and as it turns out, a man who in spite of leaving office 15 years ago, still evokes strong feelings of patriotism.  

Why?

Because RR was no hero.  He was an ordinary man who gave this country the best he had to give in 16 years of public service (8 as Governor, 8 as President).  

Now, 15 long years after he left office with the highest approval rating (over 60%) of any other president, he is receiving the state funeral every president deserves and is entitled to.

For those who are interested in expressing their opinion (good, bad or indifferent), I invite you to visit the official Ronald Reagan website and exercise your right as an American to speak your mind, or not.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com

:smokin:

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »
Received this email this morning:

There's a thread on this ... yet again... example of the way corporations are controlling and censoring free speech, at

http://www.smirkingchimp.com
This next part is making the email rounds, please pass it on.

==========

This sort of thing shows you how ugly things have gotten: members of the rightwing website "Freerepublic" banded together to rat out an NPR employee who expressed distain and contempt for Reagan in his off time on the website Democratic Underground.

I suggest at the very least you call your local NPR station and voice your disapproval. I just retracted my pledge for q3. How they think this is acceptable behavior to take marching orders from a right wingnut web site is beyond the pale IMO.

Review this thread:
http://tinyurl.com/33qxr

Mike Hickerson
http://www.peopleforchange.net

==============

I would like to add a couple of comments on this.  First, don't retract your pledge to NPR.  While they have been drifting to the right, they are still a long way from Clear Channel.  We need to keep them on the air, and keep the
pressure on them to keep them from caving into the right wing.

I've written this up on Daily Kos
(http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/6/11/165747/479).  I would encourage you to write it up in other blogs.  I've sent an email to Jeff Stoll, GM for WHIL.  I am including this below.

It is interesting to note that Free Republic has deleted the thread about this.  I think we are getting to them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mr. Stoll,

The unfortunate dismissal of a DJ at WHIL who was discussing informally with friends what he should do in response to station directive he disagreed with is beginning to rapidly circulate around the Internet.  Your name is specifically mentioned, and I feel that I should bring this to your attention.

While we all know that we cannot believe everything we read on the Internet, the whole discussion does make you look at best somewhat silly and more likely unethical, or perhaps participating in an illegal termination.

I would encourage you to read my more detailed recounting of the events as I ¹ve found them on the Internet at DailyKOS,
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/6/11/165747/479  I would be very interested hearing any response you have to offer.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
On 2004-06-11 18:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

This week long tribute is not just an exercise in nostaglia, it is an exercise in respect. Respect for the office of the president and as it turns out, a man who in spite of leaving office 15 years ago, still evokes strong feelings of patriotism.

I see it as a disgusting reminder of the same type of cronyism that gave us Betty Sembler's birthday as a state holiday in Florida, just after she helped purchase the governor's office for Brother Jeb.

I don't believe that anywhere near half of Americans (who are footing the bill for all this extravagance) think Reagan earned a week long wake. In fact, all I'm reading (except from the extreme right) indicates that the majority of us would be right down w/ commemorating his life by pouring a pint of the finest whiskey on his grave, after first running it through our own systems to ensure quality.

The weavers of linen and hempen cloth, ... may exercise their trades without paying any fine.
-- Adam Smith in The Wealth of Nations (chapter X, part II) notes:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »
It's all politics,Ginger, just wait until the Clinton-ites get their shot at producing their favorite son's funeral pageant.  I guarantee you that while it may not last a week (face it, the guy couldn't carry the ratings when he was alive) it will be one expensive dog and pony show.

:smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
By DICK MORRIS

"Ron and Bill"

June 10, 2004 -- ONE was obsessed with his public image and reveled in the company of stars and starlets, frequenting Hollywood at every opportunity; the other was self-contained, confident of what he stood for and needed no adoring mobs to satiate his ego or vindicate his sense of self-worth. It's odd that the former is Bill Clinton and the latter Ronald Reagan.

Standing astride the two cultures of Hollywood and Washington, Reagan abjured the seductions of both ? insisting, proudly and independently, on his own vision and persona. Every time he stepped onto a set, Ronald Reagan played someone else. That was his job. But in the Oval Office, he played only himself.

How ironic that it was Reagan's agenda which dominated the Clinton administration: The 42nd president's signal achievements of welfare reform and a balanced budget owe their intellectual and political foundations to the vision of the 40th.

Historian David Eisenhower speaks of "ratifiers" in American politics ? presidents who take office after a giant of the other party has left it, who adjust, but basically leave in place, the innovations of their predecessor. He writes of his grandfather as the ratifier of FDR, leaving in place both his internationalism and the programs that came from New Deal domestic activism.

In the same light, Clinton was Reagan's ratifier. Taking office a decade after the Reagan Revolution, the Democratic president left the budget reductions largely in place, accepting the philosophical mandates of limiting government, balancing the budget and curbing welfare and embracing them as his own.

Welfare reform, the very embodiment of the Reagan agenda, stands out as the Clinton administration's signal achievement. Its requirement of work as a precondition for receiving benefits and time limits that preclude a lifetime on the dole are right out of the Reagan platform. And Clinton's tenure-long focus on balancing the federal budget echoed the Reagan agenda a decade after the Gipper had left office.

But if Reagan's political ideas imprinted the Clinton presidency, his psyche did not. Clinton depended on ratings, hanging as breathlessly on them as would any Hollywood starlet.

But Reagan, the actor, did not need the applause of politics or the buzz of Hollywood to tell him who he was. Supremely self-contained, he went about actively imprinting his vision on his era, rather than let the age imprint itself on him.

Reagan, aloof from the daily management of the White House, left so pervasive a mark upon the government that he literally changed its direction. It was Reagan who reversed 10 years of defeatism and 80 years of government growth.

But it was Clinton, the liberal, who accepted the construct imposed on his presidency by Reagan ? a balanced budget, welfare reform and government re-invention and reduction. It was Clinton who boasted that he had pruned the federal payroll to its "lowest level since Eisenhower" ? but it was Reagan's vision that made him do it.

The gravitational force of the Reagan presidency reached out to the future and did more to shape Clinton's agenda than any other single factor. And his force reaches still into the Bush White House. A decade after his last public statement and now after his death, Reagan keeps dominating history.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2004, 04:43:00 PM »
On 2004-06-12 13:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It's all politics,Ginger, just wait until the Clinton-ites get their shot at producing their favorite son's funeral pageant.  I guarantee you that while it may not last a week (face it, the guy couldn't carry the ratings when he was alive) it will be one expensive dog and pony show.

:smokin: "

[sigh] I know, I know. Know what this reminds me of? About a day or two after Mother Theresa passed away, my dad called me up and asked me if I thought Hillary's prayers had been answered. I'd been about to ask him the same thing.

So, if the media is to be believed, the whole world has taken a sabatical for an entire week. There's nothing worth reporting going on in the mideast, here at home or anything else. Everyone and everything has stopped dead in honor of this tired old B movie actor's life and death.

In other words, a total, slef imposed news blackout for as long as they can milk it; the answer to G. D­übya's fondest hopes and prayers.  

But this is far from demonstrating that the authorities must interpose to suppress these vices by commercial prohibitions, nor is it by any means evident that such intervention on the part of the government is really capable of suppressing them or that, even if this end could be attained, it might not therewith open up a Pandora's box of other dangers, no less mischievous than alcoholism and morphinism.
http://www.mises.org/liberal/ch1sec11.asp' target='_new'>Ludwig Von Mises