Author Topic: Provo Canyon School is listed as a hospital  (Read 5498 times)

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School is listed as a hospital
« on: May 26, 2004, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm so tired of the authorities in Utah saying that they can't do anything about the abuse in these dens of horror and torture because they are "private boarding schools" or "residential facilities." Provo Canyon School is listed as a hospital on both the Utah dot gov site and the US hospital data base.  The parent company lists it as a "behavior health center."  The truth be known - the authorities lie to those who complain about Provo Canyon School. It is NOT a private school or a residential facility - it is described and advertised as a hospital on official governmental web sites.  

SEE FOR YOUR SELF:

Hospital | Hospitals Database]--

Utah (UT)

United States > Utah (UT) > Provo Hospitals

Provo Hospitals

Name :-
 Central Utah Surgical Center

Address :-
 1067 N 500 W
Provo, UT 84604

Telephone No. :-
 801-374-0354

Crestview Care Center

1053 W 1020 S
Provo, UT 84601

801-373-2630

First Medical

745 N 500 W # 104
Provo, UT 84601

801-373-1633

East Lake Care Center

1001 N 500 W
Provo, UT 84601

801-377-9661

Paracelsus Healthcare Corp

4303 Foothill Dr
Provo, UT 84604

801-235-9620

Provo Canyon School

4501 N University Ave
Provo, UT 84604

801-227-2100

Provo Surgical Center

585 N 500 W
Provo, UT 84601

801-375-0983

Utah State Hospital

1300 E Center St
Provo, UT 84606

801-344-4400

If it is a hospital then all of the rules and regulations that govern other hospitals must apply.  Ken Stettler must acknowledge this. He told me that it was a "residential facility" and that "core rules" applied. This was a blatant lie. When I brought this up to him and told him that it was described and listed as a hospital on both  the US hospital data base and the Utah dot gove site - he never responded. In fact no one has responded - the Attorney General, licensing or Child Protective Services.  

Type in Utah Valley Hospital Provo Canyon School and search. You will find several sites listing PCS as a hospital along with the major hospital (Utah Valley). It's also listed along side the Utah State Psychiatric Hospital.
This is so deceptive.  I beleive they are doing this because they know it is abusive. They are also using tax dollars to send children court appointed children there. Other states have also paid to send children their by court appointment.  This is truly a worthy topic for an investigator.  

Give me the youth, and Germany will rule the world.
--Hitler

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:33:00 PM »
It's not just Stettler, or Utah programs. This fraud is industry-wide. I just commented on this in another thread.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... =120#49763

I don't know how much protection this would actually provide the teens, as licensing comes for an initial inspection and you don't see them again for a couple of years; but the law's the law, and they should be required to abide by it.

If they are claiming to be a hospital, the regs are usually more strict. Here's a link to patient's rights in Missouri.
http://www.paraquad.org/mhp.htm

If they were required to abide by similar rules, they'd have to shut down or completely restructure.

The declaration put out by the Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing is pretty good too. Who is going to voluntarily adopt this declaration?
http://www.teenliberty.org/ACAPN.htm
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 02:45:00 AM »
The authorities like to put a lid on all reports of abuse. When the reporter knows something and persists they all clam up and refuse to give any more information out.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »
Even if its a Private school or residental facility or whatever, why the hell does it matter?

If an american kid is being abused IN AMERICA it doesn't matter WHERE it happens, period. End of story. It should be stopped then and there. It doesn't matter if its in a prison, a house, a school, a hospital, a church, and it doesn't matter who does it - a teacher, parent, 'therapist', religious leader or the fairy godmother.

Oh, but by all means we'll all raise hell about abuse happening to people in Iraq! God knows we can't look at OURSELVES, huh?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 11:11:00 PM »
This is true - and that is what most of us believe. When I subjected my own child to the care of Provo Canyon School, I never dreamed that she would be abused there. I thought she would be protected by all of the rules and regulations that I assumed would be followed.
Of course I was rudely awakened. Then going the authorities was unbelieveable. I've said this before - but the supervisor of licensing of these facilities told me, and I quote, "Residential programs do not need to abide by State or Federal laws or mental health codes. Parents should do their homework before sending their child to a program in Utah." (L.J. Dustman) He said that the only rules that applied were "core rules." These are rules that are in place to prevent abuses of the punitive measures that happen to be allowed in the state of Utah.  The abuse is somewhat regulated. Of course rules are never followed by the facilities and never enforced by the authorities - ONLY WHEN SOMEONE DIES do they look into violations.  [ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2004-06-17 11:15 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 01:27:00 AM »
So why isn't anybody contacting the out-of-state agencies notifying them of these allegations of abuse?  At least give them the heads up about the petition and the website where they can see for themselves what these allegations of abuse are all about?

:idea:

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 01:34:00 AM »
Anon: I have personally notified all of the authorities - including every legislator - in the State of Utah. I have notified my own Congressman - who cared less. I notified the governor of Utah and the governor of California. Neither has responded.

I have personally determined that the only way to get any action whatsoever is to write letters to the editor and talk to the press.  Unfortunately our government has become so corrupt that the officials only act to save face when their inaction is exposed by the media.  Humiliation of governmental leaders is what is necessary.  If your want to do something - stop venting on this web site and start writing letters to the Salt Lake Tribune and other papers in Utah.  Letter writing campaigns stimulate public debate and commentary which leads to increased media coverage.  

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
-- Dave Barry

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 01:41:00 AM »
I agree, but it seems once these out-of-state agencies are on notice that one of the RTC's they refer kids to has been accused of abusing kids, it will be hard for them to claim "they didn't know" later, down the road.

Look up the case of Nicolas Contreras.  Once the state of California got wind of his tortuous death, they quit sending CA adjudicated youth to the Arizona Boys Ranch.

Media reports are helpful, but as long as these facilities remain open they are viewed as S.A.F.E. by parents, ed consultants, therapists, out-of-state probabtion officers, etc.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 01:52:00 AM »
The California system has recently notified PCS that they will no longer send wards of the state to Provo Canyon School.  What I need to do now is notify my insurance company of the abusive treatment, violations of rules and codes and the insurance fraud that was committed.  They charged my insurance for 6 extra days according to the document I received.  

If insurance companies pull out - many of these programs will fail - especially Provo Canyon School.

They used to burn witches. Today we laugh at them. Today we jail people for marijuana. Tomorrow they'll laugh at us.

--Robert "Rosie" Rowbotham

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 02:01:00 AM »
Well, that's progress! But why was California sending kids to such expensive out-of-state psych hospitals at the TAXPAYERS expense in the first place?  Grrrrrr .... what a rip off.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 02:06:00 AM »
Oh, I forgot to add that I also agree with notifying insurance companies.  Once they get wind of fraudulent billing practices, there will be hell to pay (no pun intended) if these practices are indeed found to be fraudulent.

Another strategy would be to organize a sit-down protest on the steps of the Utah state capital.  That would sure get the attention of the local and national media, don't you agree?

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 02:25:00 AM »
That might work if it were only those few that opposed this industry.  If the programs got wind of it, it's possible students and staff from the schools all over Utah and other family friendly States would be there to show their support, ya think??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 02:41:00 AM »
So what if the Stepford Clan shows up to defend their voodoo family values?  The media will eat it up!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 03:06:00 AM »
Better yet, don't announce the protest, and target certain programs themselves, along with the state capitol.  That'll take care of tipping off the Stepford-like "Legion of Faithful" programmed parents and teens.  

Positively creepy, isn't it, to think this kind of conditioning (aka brainwashing) can happen in real life? I mean talk about truth being stranger than fiction -- this is right out of a Stephen King novel.  

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »
Stephen King should write a novel about this. It would be truly horrifying. What happened to Aaron Bacon and Ian August is truly horrifying. These boys were tortured and died as a result of extreme negligence and cruelty. To let Ian lay in the sun for an hour when he was dying of heat exhaustion was beyon belief.  

I think we should all get together and protest at the capital. I have a printing company.  Anyone interested?  [ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2004-06-17 11:13 ]