Author Topic: Richard got some ink in the St. Pete Times  (Read 10039 times)

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
Richard got some ink in the St. Pete Times
« on: May 08, 2004, 06:19:00 PM »
here is the link and below is the letter.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/08/Opinion

Abuse here was worse

I read your articles on the systematic abuse of Iraq prisoners who are and have been in the "care" of our military. I think it is shameful how they have been treated. However, I really don't understand all of the international fuss over it. Straight, Inc., based in St. Petersburg, systematically abused thousands of children in its "care" over the course of 17 years. The abuse the children suffered at Straight was far worse than anything the Iraqi prison have experienced and no one was held accountable.

At least in the case of the Iraq prisoners those responsible for the systematic abuse will be held accountable. Why? Because they have the support of governments across the globe. And we saw that the U.S. government tried to hide it!

Straight, Inc., has the support of the U.S. government, and the victims of Straight have no recourse, no international outcry. I read one Iraqi prisoner's account of his abuse at the hands of the Americans. He said: I can no longer go home as I am too ashamed.

The victims of Straight can no longer go "home."

-- Richard R. Bradbury, victims of Straight advocate, Tampa
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »
Damn, that's a really intense statement.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »
The abuse the children suffered at Straight was far worse than anything the Iraqi prison have experienced and no one was held accountable.

I can't agree with this. I really wish he hadn't said that. Was that his quote? The link doesn't work.

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »
Try this one:

http://sptimes.com/2004/05/08/Opinion/P ... _Ira.shtml

p.s., scroll about 7/8ths the way down.

Ken[ This Message was edited by: ramprato on 2004-05-08 19:56 ]

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 11:19:00 PM »
As far as the abuse goes, I think that you could say 6 for the one & half-dozen for the other...
They were both horrible in different ways.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that the abuse at straight was really "far worse" than that, but the part about no one being held accountable for it couldn't be more true...

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 11:32:00 PM »
I buzzed into the St. Pete Times website.  By the way, you have to switch to TEXT ONLY to find what you are looking for or you will lose your goddamn mind trying to find it.  I found Richards letter in the OPINION section about 3/4 of the way down once you switch to TEXT ONLY using K pickle's link.  
As far as what Richard wrote, I agree wholeheartedly with it.  The Iraqi's were treated better.  At least they had 3 nutritious meals, plenty of fluids and were excersised regularly in clothing optional conditions.  They were not forced to sit and flap their arms like a turkey on PCP and made to "relate" to fabricated shit to earn the "privelege" of attending a public school while stripped of all personal belongings, past, future, personality and talent all in order to line someones pocket and make it possible to ensnare even more gullible families into a phantom "Drug War."

But alas, nobody in the Bay Area seems to give a shit.  I am surprised the paper even printed the statement to be quite honest.  I worked for the St. Pete Times for 3 and 1/2 years and it is the most contrived, self serving bullshit rag in the entire region.  You'll find more truth in the paper that you wipe your ass with.  I want to get together with some professionals in the media, maybe a reporter from the Weekly Planet and get our story told before the sands of time start closing in to bury our past completely.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »
bit of a overstatement to say that people in Straight were treated worse than Iraqi prisoners. Strong, inaccurate statements like these only reduce the credibility of the people that spout them.

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »
To the previoius anon poster, I have one thing to say; obviously you didn't go through straight inc at th same time as I did (maybe you never were in the prgram at all).  Straight St. Pete sounded very similar in many ways to what went on w/the Iraqi prisoners.  No, I never had to jack off in front of someone, but my oldcomer did it in front of me; we were paraded around naked during mass strip searches, I slept on a tarraza floor for over almost 50 days.  If you want to discuss the "finer" points of straight and the treatment of Iraqi prisoners, I am willing to do that.  My email is [email protected]

You see, I know what went on in Straight, Inc...I was there.

Sincerely,

Michael Sherman, Straight Survivor
St. Petersburg 1978 - 1980

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 10:14:00 AM »
On 2004-05-09 05:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"bit of a overstatement to say that people in Straight were treated worse than Iraqi prisoners. Strong, inaccurate statements like these only reduce the credibility of the people that spout them."

:roll: Why don't you just come off it and let us all know who you are? You probably weren't even in Straight or one of its related programs to even make such a profound 'judgment'. How convenient of you to post anonymously, gee thanks...

Yes, it's true I don't remember being chained up naked with a bunch of other prisoners, or leashed around the neck like a dog. But I DO remember being led around by the pants and what kind of garbage that was. I remember the sleep deprivation, I remember the constant yelling and drilling, I remember hearing about things from other people or saying myself that whether they were true or not, belonged in psychiatrists offices and not in the public. I remember tons of extortions everyday done onto people.

Are you too dense, or just too damned self-seving to even SEE the pattern here? Those pictures and (soon videos) of those prisoners taken were done originally for extortion purposes to get them to 'talk'. If you were one of those assholes that fucked around with us in Straight you already know this. You know that the govt is using what they learned by people that went through Straight along with other developed brainwashing ideals to mess with those Iraqi prisoners big-time.

Such dehumanization is unacceptable in any culture, but it is especially so in the Arab world religion/culture of Islam, grouping men together naked forcefully is ripping right into their soles, Homosexually is an abomination in that religion and that tactic in my opinion was used to bring on total SHAME to those individuals as well as take pictures of them like that so they would know in the back of their minds that those existed, that was just one tactic used to pump 'information'. In the religion/culture of Islam, their ideas of women are different than a westerners too, and to have a FEMALE drag them around was the epitome of SHAME once again and 'let's not forget to get this on camera to intensify the experience', what a wonderful mentality our government has - NOT.

You are really some kind of sideliner. One of those people the world can always count on to sit on their hands and NEVER take any kind of action to bring out the truth. Thanks a lot for all the "help" you loser. What in the hell do you know about credibility??? Mind control is Mind control & I don't care who it's happening to, it's WRONG no matter what methods they use to achieve it either in Iraq or here.  
[ This Message was edited by: ramprato on 2004-05-09 07:17 ][ This Message was edited by: ramprato on 2004-05-09 07:25 ][ This Message was edited by: ramprato on 2004-05-09 08:20 ][ This Message was edited by: ramprato on 2004-05-09 08:25 ]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »
Ok, who can say for sure which Program location was worse than another at any given time? In Sarasota, they threatened us w/ St. Pete. In St. Pete, they threatened them w/ Sarasota. It was all bullshit. A mindfuck.

Would you rather be an Iraqi prisoner in Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo Bay than a kid in the Program? I don't know if I would. It's just hard to say.

I don't think it matters all that much one way or the other. But there are aspects to this story that are very relavent to our story. Like it or not, the people who ran the Program are the same ones who run the prisons. And this mantra that the admin has been repeating lately; "inexperienced, untrained reserves" is bullshit. Turns out that a bunch of the people involved in the Abu Ghraib scandal are corrections officers back home. This is what they do for a living and this is probably about how they do it. Sorry if you don't want to believe that, but it's true.

"One commentator pointed out that when the mafia commits violence, no
one suggests we bomb Sicily.  Today it seems we are, in a symbolic way, not only bombing "Sicily," but are thinking about bombing "Athens" (Iraq)."

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2001/cr112901.htm' target='_new'>Ron Paul, 11/29/01 Speech before Congress

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »
?To the previoius anon poster, I have one thing to say; obviously you didn't go through straight inc at th same time as I did (maybe you never were in the prgram at all).?

Obviously I didn?t, I remember no person named kpickle39, nor was I in the St. Petersburg facility.

?Straight St. Pete sounded very similar in many ways to what went on w/the Iraqi prisoners.?

No doubt, and I never contested that. I said, ?bit of a overstatement to say that people in Straight were treated worse than Iraqi prisoners. Strong, inaccurate statements like these only reduce the credibility of the people that spout them.? There are many similarities, but to say that those in Straight were treated worse than Iraqi prisoners is a drastic overstatement. It?s almost as drastic an overstatement as saying that those who attended Straight were treated worse than the Jews during the Nazi holocaust.

?No, I never had to jack off in front of someone, but my oldcomer did it in front of me; we were paraded around naked during mass strip searches, I slept on a tarraza floor for over almost 50 days.?

Sorry to hear about your inappropriate sexual encounters and living conditions in Straight.

?If you want to discuss the "finer" points of straight and the treatment of Iraqi prisoners, I am willing to do that.?

I would be willing to discuss the ?finer? points of Straight with you, however the story of abuse and Iraqi prisoners is still being uncovered, and unless you have witnessed the conditions of Iraqi prisoners personally, I doubt that you can discuss the ?finer? points of Iraqi prisons with me. We are all waiting for the full story to be uncovered.

?Why don't you just come off it and let us all know who you are? You probably weren't even in Straight or one of its related programs to even make such a profound 'judgment'. How convenient of you to post anonymously, gee thanks...?

Why should I come out and let all of you know who I am? (As if ramprato discloses who you are?) I wasn?t aware that I made any ?profound judgment?. I made an observation. One that is correct. Posting anonymously is convenient, if you do not like it that is unfortunate for you. You are welcome.

?Yes, it's true I don't remember being chained up naked with a bunch of other prisoners, or leashed around the neck like a dog. But I DO remember being led around by the pants and what kind of garbage that was. I remember the sleep deprivation, I remember the constant yelling and drilling, I remember hearing about things from other people or saying myself that whether they were true or not, belonged in psychiatrists offices and not in the public. I remember tons of extortions everyday done onto people.?

So what is the problem with my observation? You obviously agree. Iraqi prisoners are being treated worse than the majority of clients that went through Straight.

?Are you too dense, or just too damned self-seving to even SEE the pattern here? Those pictures and (soon videos) of those prisoners taken were done originally for extortion purposes to get them to 'talk'. If you were one of those assholes that fucked around with us in Straight you already know this. You know that the govt is using what they learned by people that went through Straight along with other developed brainwashing ideals to mess with those Iraqi prisoners big-time.?

Dense? I suppose that assumption is relevant to whom you speak with. Self-serving? Definitely, all humans are to a certain extent. I never disputed that there seems to be a pattern, and I fully agree that there are similarities. I am definitely an asshole, and of course I ?fucked around? with others in Straight (though not literally). Everyone that completed the program had to play a part, you as well, if you ever completed the program. I believe that the government is probably partially using research from Straight to ?mess? with the Iraqi prisoners. That is only an assumption, as I have yet to see any evidence that links Straight to Iraqi prisoners. If you have anything besides circumstantial evidence of this, which I already have plenty of; I would be interested in seeing it.

?Such dehumanization is unacceptable in any culture, but it is especially so in the Arab world religion/culture of Islam,?

I agree, and even though I know little of Arab and Islamic culture, I can accept that statement as being accurate.

?You are really some kind of sideliner. One of those people the world can always count on to sit on their hands and NEVER take any kind of action to bring out the truth. Thanks a lot for all the "help" you loser. What in the hell do you know about credibility??? Mind control is Mind control & I don't care who it's happening to, it's WRONG no matter what methods they use to achieve it either in Iraq or here.?

Yes I am a sideliner, so are most people that post on this board. You are also right in saying that I have no desire to bring out the truth. I am more concerned with picking up the pieces of shattered lives left behind by these organizations. I have offered you or any others in Straight any meaningful help, as I am not qualified to do so. Once I am qualified to do so I will. I have been a looser for quite some time, but my current track should eventually remove such statements from being accurate. I know plenty about credibility, and the more knowledge I gain the more about credibility I understand. You are obviously the one lacking knowledge as to what qualifies as credible. I agree that mind control is an unethical practice.

If people?s stories about Straight are to be believed, inaccurate statements must be excluded, especially strong statements meant solely for the purpose of agitation and inflammation. Those who have knowledge and education look for fallacy, and when it is seen, the stories are discounted. The more fallacy that is introduced, the less credible everyone?s story becomes to people. It will be very important to me that I be viewed as credible, not to survivors of Straight, but to the scientific community. That should be important to survivors of Straight as well. Do not practice self-sabotage. It harms us all.

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 06:05:00 PM »
Look Anon,

I have to admit that I came across too harsh in my post to you and for that I'm sorry. Maybe I took what you wrote the wrong way.

"bit of a overstatement to say that people in Straight were treated worse than Iraqi prisoners."

Got to say that this statement really threw me off for a minute, but people have a right to their  opinion, as I have mine. Originally I felt like you were saying people in Straight didn't take abuse, but now, I don't think you were saying that at all. I think you are just stating your own opinion and that you just disagree with Richard.

I don't think you're dense, I was just flying off the handle, and if you don't want to give yourself name and remain anonymous, whatever...

But I will say that I am proud of Richard for taking the stand that he has, and that's my opinion.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
?But I will say that I am proud of Richard for taking the stand that he has, and that's my opinion.?

I admire Richard as well. He?s done a lot of good work. He just needs to watch himself. It is common for those of us who have survived abuse to view our situations as ?worse? than others. What we suffered through was a great tragedy, though many have suffered far worse. Probably few of the people who suffered abuse in Straight, would trade their experience for those abused in Iraq. I have yet to hear a story of murder followed by necrophilia that took place in Straight.

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »
Dear Anonymous,

Why do you support Melvin Sembler ?  Why do you support the rape of children and Iraqui prisoners ???  Why do you hide like you are winking as if you know something we don't ?  You don't.

You are singular and know nothing.  You are ONE anonymously and you do not exist.  We are many, you are none.  You seek to belong and yet you do not.

The ONE and ONLY anonymous poster, that has mental problems cos it keeps acting like its different people, does not affect my judgement in the least.  

Its' been here since the inception of fornits from what I have seen and read.  The one 'Anonymous' postor who comes here to post and does not reveal itself is clearly a bot.

What I am hypothesizing is that there will be a part of anything and everything that maintains the doubting portion which allows for existence and lets us all know we are not crazy.  But its just a heckler.  Someday it will not do this when it grows mature.

So, when I see the one poster who has always come here and called itself 'Anonymous' I know that it just means that what I'm doing is correct in a very real fashion.

Again, there is only ONE Anonymous poster, and only ONE poster named Anonymous.  Nobody likes it, it makes no sense.  Noone wants it, yet it continues to dodge and shuck and jive in its soggy cold diaper while it begs for someone to change it.

Offline LeighBright

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 01:40:00 AM »
How many of those Iraqi prisoners have permanent damage that causes physical pain? Cause I'm going on 22 f-n years and counting!

And speaking of those prisoners - they were conspiring to kill Americans - and that's why they're being detained. They're terrorists.

Were any of them sleep-deprived or beaten for days on end? Were they forced to sit in their own urine or feces? Did they put diapers on them and force them to sit in cribs? Did they put them in four-point restraints and rip their arms out of their sockets? Did they sit on them until their ribs broke?

Don't for a second say those f-n Iraqi's have it worse off than those of us that were in Straight.

Richard was RIGHT ON with his comment!!

(Besides - the soldiers that did that were probably from New Jersey or Texas).  :roll: