Author Topic: Can I ask a question?  (Read 2578 times)

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« on: August 17, 2002, 12:33:00 AM »
I wanted to know if any of you have had problems after Straight. I know that we all had PSTD, but I sometimes have so many issues going on and whirling around that I feel like a fake a fraud. Like I am still acting. I played crazy for a long time to get out of Straight. I sometimes feel like I acted that way and now in many ways I am that way. What is the truth. I am not saying I am suicidal at all but sometimes the shell of happy joking cynical bullshit that makes up the core of my personality just breaks of and I feel stripped down and raw and panic stricken, then I think I know why some of the alumni decided to finally control one aspect of their lives and take it. Please please don't think this is some freaky suicide note or cry for help, I just want to know your thoughts. Do you feel like you are playing a part sometimes? Do you wonder if you lost a part of yourself that is gone forever? I was 14 and I always say that I am partially grateful to Straight for showing me what lying dirty nasty fucks the government could be but I also know that something changed and died and never came back again. I don't know sorry for wasting space. This must just be one of those nights. For those who read this to the end I really would like to know do you ever feel this way or think this way. Your answer doesn't have to be yes I just want to know if I am afflicted with something that has nothing to do with Straight or what. To quote my parents "how long can you blame how you are on something that happened that long ago maybe its not them maybe it is you"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2002, 04:54:00 PM »
Kaydee wrote:"To quote my parents "how long can you blame how you are on something that happened that long ago maybe its not them maybe it is you" "

First of all, I want to validate your feelings. I was not in the Straight program, but was in "The Seed" that started it all.

I for one felt a great sense of isolation. I did not trust people easily, especially those that claimed to "love me". I always felt that if the people in my life knew the "real me", they would not like me.I had a wall built up around myself for protection. I was always the "happiest" on the outside, but I allowed nobody to be emotionally close to me. I grieved a lot for what I felt I had lost in my life, with out even understanding what it was I was grieving for. I simply did not feel "normal".

The teen years are very important to the formation of a healthy adult. It is a time where you begin to learn what make you unique and special. When you begin to pull away from the family, yet understanding that the family is a safe haven that accepts you totally.Within the family unit, you are supposed to feel valued, cared for, nurtured, liked, and special.

I believe all of us were shortchanged and left emotionally bankrupt in a way. We learned to not trust others,& that our families did not accept us. We were told over and over many emotionally abusive things.

We learned to disguise our true feelings in oder to "play the game" and not get set back to phase 1 over and over (well atleast some of us did, :smile: ). It occured for many of us in the time of our life where we should have been discovering our own values and ethics. Yet we were told many times that our values were wrong, our beliefs wrong if they did not comform to the groups.

Your parent's quip is simply their way of staying in denial for the responsibility they hold at placing a fragile teenager in an emotional hellhole.

Be kind to yourself, understanding the effects these programs have, so that you might heal. Realise that you were just a child, that any of the things you had to do in order to survive the program are what many others were doing too.

Take one issue at a time and work on it.
Best wishes, debi

PS:
I have watched my son grow up with a sense of wonderment.It is sorta amazing to me that he feels so intelligent, so competent, so able and responsible. He can tell you what his "code of ethics" is to him, he enjoys having other adults' respect and trust. He can communicate effectively about his feelings, is willing to listen and negotiate, and enjoys a varied group of friends.

He actively chooses not to do drugs or drinks. (Although this mother has always said, "please don't drink, I'd rather you smoked pot, but you should not have to do either").I am happy he feels he has a choice. He likes himself, something that took me well into my 30's to learn to do.

He actually took part in his high school activities, went to football games, plays, chorus stuff,supporting his friends that were in these various things. I never did any of that as a teen.

He thinks that no matter what I will always be on his side. It has been very healing for me to see him grow into this young adult.

Thanks for listening to me. I hope I was able to help somewhat.
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 01:41:00 AM »
I remember a vivid film I saw in school dealing with death.  It was a French film, with very little talking.  A family went out for a picnic in the country and brought grandma along.  They even brought a large rocking chair tied to the back of the car for her to sit in.  After the picnic, they packed up everything except grandma and the chair.  They just got in the car and drove off.  As the camera panned away from the one tree, you could see dozens, and then hundreds of old people sitting in chairs under trees.  Whenever I hear my dad say "Put it in the past."  I think of this film and how he let me down at a time in my life when I needed compassion, not communism.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2002, 03:03:00 AM »
Wow. That is strange. What is that? I would make the time to watch it. Subtitles I hope?
  It really launched me into a whole different train of thought,,,negative of course,,,,but why do so many people suffer and slave for years just to finally claw their way up and be knocked to ground and everything is just gone? All the choices in the world and this is what we left as our legacy.
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Sunshinegirl0420

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2002, 04:40:00 PM »
HEY KAYDEE, I AM SORRY TO HEAR YOU ARE HAVING AH HARD TIME . I FEEL PRETTY NUCH THE SAME AS FAR AS THE FEELING OF A PART OF YOU BEING GONE.  I HAVE TRIED SO MANY DIFFRENT THINGS TO FILL THE SPACE THAT I THOUGHT I WAS MISSING, (WHEN I WAS YOUNGER) I WOULD WEAR WHAT WAS COOL OR WANT MY HAIR A CERTAIN WAY  WHEN THIS DIDNT WORK I WENT ON TO USE  AND DRINK. AMAZINGLY ENOUGH WHILE I WAS HELD UP SOMEBODY HAD THE GREAT IDEA TO MAKE ALCOHOL THAT ACTUALLY TASTED GOOD. NOT THAT I BECAME SOME RAGING ALCOHOLIC, BUT IT STILL DIDNT GO OVER WELL WITH MY MOTHER,I WAS UNDERAGE STILL. I SMOKED POT A FEW TIMES A WEEK WITH MY GIRLFRIENDS.  NOTHING MAJOR AND SHE FOUND OUT AND LOCKED ME UP AGAIN( 3 WEEKS BEFORE MY PROM.  I TESTED NEGATIVE AND I KNOW THE COUNSELOR WANTED TO DISCHARGE ME. BY NOW WE ALL KNEW SHE WAS THE CRAZY ONE!!BUT THAT IS A WHOLE DIFFRENT ISSUE.   LONG STORY SHORT  ( OOOPS  KINDA SHORT)  3 PROGRAMS AFTER STRAIGHT, I WENT TO HER HOUSE FOR SOME REASON( MY MOM'S)ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO AND FOUND HER AND MY BROTHER'S GIRLFRIEND SMOKEN POT!!!!!!!UUUUGGGHHH!!!  I WAS/AM SOOOO PISSED'''''''''''''''''   OH MY 11 YO BROTHER WAS ADDMITTED TO STRAIGHT TOO.   IF ANY BODY IS UP IN THE BOSTON AREA I AM GOING TO BE AT THE CAPE ALL WEEK I WANT TO SEE OLD PHASERS OF MINE, OR MAKE SOME NEW FRIENDS.

WHERE ARE YOU BOSTON PEOPLE ?????      I WILL BE HERE LATER KAYDEE

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2002, 12:02:00 AM »
I saw that film once...don't remember the specifics...But I remember connecting to that woman who was left behind.

"Put it in the past" is a phrase I hate to hear.
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2002, 09:54:00 AM »
Kaydee said <>
WOW...
Yeah, been there.  Sometimes slip back. NO FUN
I was real young too when interred.  I think that those of us who got out by like 15 sorta recovered on the surface, finished school and dated and stuff.  I learned to not ever talk about the place, embarressed as hell.  Major unfinished business.  That's a recipe for psych disasters.

You are  never wasting space here posting such a relevant thing.  I say so   :smile:
 I think we all carry traces of our past and that it effects our present lives.  Some of us ended up there because of real drug problems, others were mentally ill.  You wouldn't leave a heart condition untreated, but straight ignorred the possibility of TREATING the various dysfunctional shit we were all dealing with. OBVIUOSLY, our relations with our parents were screwed up if they put us there.  The program never addressed this.  Just do your steps. Yeah, that will make it all better.  
These people touted themselves as PROFESSIONALS ?????
Hang in there Kaydee.  
Hang in there.
Bill

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2002, 09:56:00 AM »
That was me foretting to log in.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2002, 01:04:00 PM »
Yes, I feel the same way at times.  I was in Straight at 15, and had many problems after that.  They weren't all directly caused by the program, but certainly the huge rift between me and my family was.  

I'm 34 now and still have problems with my self-esteem, and with feeling guilty for no reason, among other things.  I have nightmares about 2x a week, and have as long as I can remember.  I had one last night and woke up screaming, 2nd time this week.  Was it caused by the program?  I don't know.  I'll never know because like most of us I never had a "normal" childhood.  

Anyway, I think many of us understand how you feel, if that's any consolation.  In my case I've tried all kinds of things to cure this feeling.  The only thing that seems to work is to keep so busy that I don't have time to ruminate on it, and to go ahead and numb myself when necessary using whatever chemical I have at hand.  It works for me.
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline Thelastwhosued

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2002, 02:10:00 PM »
I still have nightmares and have begun to write a book. It never really goes away.
an you believe that there is a place kidshelpingkids.com that accepts
\"medicaid\" to \"abuse\" children.....Descendent of Straight. WHAT AN OUTRAGE

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
Can I ask a question?
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2002, 10:18:00 PM »
I still find myself thinking about things that happened to me, but I also find that as time goes on, and since I started finding things out on the internet about Straight and realize I'm not the only one out there who was messed up, I am becoming to overcome all the past issues that I needed to deal with with this Nazi camp/prison.
I found the more I read about everyone's experiences and dug deep inside myself to relate to things like this, it helps to recover from this travisty.
I only wish the internet was avaliable to me right after I left Straight in 1991, I think that rehashing this crap is sometimes self damaging, it isn't for everyone. But it helped me cope through some rough times as my brain was going through withdraw from the memory of this hell hole
usan Minns