Author Topic: Powerful Attitude's ex-wife  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Powerful Attitude's ex-wife
« on: May 07, 2004, 01:35:00 AM »
Thought just using his name in the subject might get a few people here interested in what I have to say, which to be quite honest, I am not really sure of myself.  I just know I have something to say, and not many people understand.  I think about this forum often.  It was just over a year ago that I found out that this place called Straight even existed.

A little history: P.A. and I had been married just two years and were together a little less than a year before marriage.  I knew my marriage was different than my friends from church's marriages, but I was married to a very unique man, and because I had quite a few difficult obstacles in my life somehow my situation grew to be normal.  I lived in two different worlds, as I always did.  (Growing up, I was raised in a good church with a good family, but went to school across town, so had two separate lives - church life and social life - VERY different from each other.)  When he and I met, I had a daughter from a childhood friend who left me for a drug addiction he could not control.  Very soon after we began dating, his "powerful attitude" began.  It was gradual at first, it is all much clearer now... It wasn't long before I was pregnant and going to marry him.  By our wedding day, I was already hurting so badly... I did not understand why this man could yell and scream and say the most hurtful things ever, then hold me and tell me he loved me and with him, everything was going to be okay...  

As those of you that have had previous experience with P.A., you know his emphasis on God was, to say the least, extreme and irrational.  As a woman after God's heart, I listened to him 'preach' from the bible, really confusing me, but I was curious about the things he was saying.  He claimed to have read the bible cover to cover several times, and could quote some of the strangest verses and definately use them out of context.  To make a long story short, I was the only member of his 'cult', but I SO badly wanted to live a righteous life, good and clean and respected by people around me, that I thought this might be a way.  

It wasn't long before I started hearing CRAZY stories about his mom and step-dad and childhood, that I knew I was dealing with a guy that NEVER got the kind of love he needed, especially from his mom.  I, on the other hand, was raised by two parents that loved each other and loved me and my older sisters.  If you caught on, I was the baby, so in my case, I was definately lacking in discipline, and got away with way too much.  To cut to the chase, I wanted desperately to be the one that loved him unconditionally - and for him to love me back (in a way that felt like love).

Needless to say, what I was dealing with had become so bizarre to me... I couldn't tell anyone exactly what was happening in my seemingly Christian home.  I was working as a teacher at the church's mother's day out program with both of my children enrolled in the school.  I stayed home to raise my kiddos, participated in several life-changing bible studies, taught Sunday School, volunteered with several extra activities with the kids and youth at church, and tried to be the very best wife I could be, loving the unlovely.  Cooked, cleaned, submitted.  I was so faithful and good to him, that it is almost sickening to me now.  (However, by no means am I without fault, I am FAR FROM PERFECT, but I sure wanted to make him pleased with me.)

In January of last year, a select few ladies from church were beginning a study entitled "Making Peace With Your Past", and as I do not make it a big secret, they knew my past is one I was wanting to make peace with for sure.  In the meantime, he was getting really frustrated with work, and was VERY DIFFICULT to deal with at home.  The kids and I were quiet if we were in the house until he would wake up on Saturday afternoons, say 2:00 or 3:00.  Only then, he would wake up, throw toys, yell at anyone or anything in his path, eat candy, drink a coke (or beer) smoke a cigarette, smoke a joint, then retreat either back to sleep or the computer.  What a nightmare to me know...  My daughter was especially affected by him, if you can only try to imagine.  "His Boy" could pretty much do no wrong, unless he couldn't get him to stop crying.  

At any rate, I was really looking for some answers, as my husband pretty much degraded and yelled at my character (which others around me would say is pretty much good - I try to be a kind and good person to all)  almost daily.  I felt like I was really getting somewhere spiritually and mentally, but I could not figure out why my husband found so much fault in me.  I began the third or fourth week in the study, some title like, "Uncovering Hidden Memories".  I was at the computer and he was on the couch and I asked him, "Hey, honey, didn't you say your parents put you in some kind of treatment center when you were a teenager?  What was it called so we can look it up in Google and see what we find?"

WHOA, I did not realize that something like this could be out there, and much less, that I would be married to a victim of such a terrible, greusome, wrong place.  (Now with all of this said, I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE ANYONE ANGRY, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT.  I know there are a couple of things in this forum that gets others excited - religion and supporting or not supporting Straight.  My heart has bled and grieved for you ALL and the things that you went through and saw - and up until I found this out, I thought I had seen some crazy things...)  He opened up and talked and talked for at least two weeks, he could not stop sharing crazy memories that had just surfaced for him.  A woman from my group suggested we seek some experienced help from someone who might could understand Straight more than me, so I would not find myself in a bad situation because of these repressed memories.  

That is when the angry and irrational postings began that some of you might remember (Tampa, Carmel, Antigen, ClayL, Morli, etc....) I was reading them all and praying SO HARD that someone could say something that would save the life I thought I could have with this man that I really did not know.

Not sure what all I have said, it feels like I have said alot.  Hope I did not say anything that made anyone feel any type of negative feelings.  I am really just trying to get past all of this, and learn from it, and grieve the loss of my husband.  Sharing these feelings comes and goes for me, I hurt when I think of how trapped I had began to feel.  It is hard to understand.  I hoped this would be a safe place just to say whatever, and feel like someone might could understand what I felt like as a prisioner in my home, just wanting to feel love from him.

Thanks for letting me vent a little bit.  I am far from getting it all dealt with, but I appreciate anyone that listened by reading this all the way through.   ::heart::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 04:30:00 AM »
I can understand where you are coming from.  My partner would do the same to me--loving and caring one minute and then degrading my moral character the next.

I still tiptoe around him sometimes, but I don't let him degrade me anymore. I got lucky--he had a nervous breakdown and a revelation that the "straight" way is not the way to be.

This is not to say that we don't have our moments, but I have learned to tell him when i know he is starting to be ridiculous.

I am not saying that its all roses, because I don't know if he will ever really be over straight, but for some reason he decided to change his focus and is actually going to college where he has been using his experiences to get his story out in more of an objective way.

He wants to help people who have gone through these experiences and wants to work at educating people to make the right choices when it comes to treatment of problem kids.

He has taught me a lot about myself, and I am very greatful to have met him.

I weep for what these people have gone through, and though I will probably never understand exactly what happened.  I feel lucky to have lived the life I have lived when before I spent a lot of time asking the question "why me?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 08:00:00 AM »
Thanks - I'm gonna show this one to my wife.   :smile:

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks for writing what you did PA ex-wife, it took a lot of courage. It really helps me to heal from all this when I see it from the perspective those affected who weren't even in the cult, but deal with ones who were.

All my best to you, PA, and your family, I'm praying for you guys..

Ken

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 09:08:00 AM »
I'd first ike to say its very brave of you to come here and post so openly, especially considering your past outlook on your role in the relationship.

I do remember his last several posts to this site and how feverish they were.  To be honest, I am not certain of my replies to him...but I do know that what he was saying frightened me.  And it frightens me for you now.  Apparently you have come to some resloution personally though, I see you are no longer in the marriage and as painful as the loss can be...I am certain you will gain fullfillment from your choice.  

Your description of the life you two led reminds me almost in detail about my own mothers relationship with my stepfather. The combination of religion and violence and insanity never stopped. I was your daughters age, from my mothers previous marriage...and that whole situation had farther reaching effects on me as an adult than Straight ever did.  I am pleased to know that you can begin healing with your daughter...it is so important!

You sound very much like my own mother in how she did all the things she was "supposed" to do...and couldnt understand why her husband seemed to hate her more and more, the more she tried to please him.  

I know that change is a personal choice, and professional help may be a positive thing for PA at some point.  The important thing is that you have made a healthy choice to salvage your sanity....and you must remember that even though everyone has faults, that you cannot get down on yourself for being the cause of this situation.  

My stepfather went on through the remainder of his life doing what he did best...drinking, preaching, and killing himself with guilt and lies.  He died not too long ago.  I can only hope that PA will turn around someday, for his own sake...and open himself to the truth of what it is thats eating him up.  Not even God can do this for him.  Spirituality can only advise us, but it cant fix us.  Even if we immerse ourselves in it.  Its a two way street.
Good luck, and feel free to post more if you need the support!
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »
PA's ex,
  I'm not sure how anything you've said could anger anyone, except maybe PA. Sounds like you've got a handle on things, though. That's always good to hear. I hope PA figures things out. When he was posting here and from what you've said, he reminds me very much of some of the men in my family.

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
-- John Muir

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »
In January of last year, a select few ladies from church were beginning a study entitled "Making Peace With Your Past"

I'm starting this recovery group in September at my church! I just took my first bible basics 101 last weekend with my husband. This is Morli, but Lezli is my God given name, so for the first time in my life, I'm warming up to being called a name that for years triggered horrible memories of years of abuse and neglect.

Accepting God has made it possible for me to re-embark upon a relationship with my mother, and in my opinion, saved me from the hatred that was eating my heart away with the resentment, fear and pain that I couldn't seem to let go of. I am now finding my new heart, and owe this to God. I also, for the first time in eight years, since I began IV drug use, was tested for HIV, and tested negative. What a long horrifying time this has been. I truly believe my status was a miracle. The partner I?d been with had even been with an HIV positive man, not to mention the needles. For years I thought I was dying, but after my daughter?s daddy was killed, I wasn?t sure if I could live with knowing I?d basically put a gun to my head and pulled a slow but sure trigger. Getting clean from heroin and methadone was hard enough, and that took years to fully recover from. I lived each day, in utter dread of my own fate, and even after the opiate addiction was no longer there, there were years of stabilization, and I frequently turned to alcohol which was not much better. My fears were torturing me. Today, none of those demons own me. I owe my life to God.

Every recovery story is different, but we each share a common bond as women, and I know that womens' groups can be very nurturing and healing. I'm so sorry that you had to go through such a difficult obstacle as divorce, and I understand what you mean by "grieving his loss." Losing anyone is very painful, even if they were hurting you instead of promoting your growth, and giving you love. I hope you know you deserve nothing less than total love and devotion, but most of all, respect. Yes, he had/has deep-rooted emotional issues that could all be helped and regulated, but only if and when he's ready. I think you made wonderful decision for you and your kids. They don't need to grow up seeing mom endure abuse. I know how hard it is to realize that someone you love is hurting you, and having the courage to say, "No!" is a huge step in the best direction for all of you. I applaud you. God has blessed you. :nworthy:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 08:21:00 AM »
Attending a few bible studies and using drugs does not qualify someone to give accurate advice and treatment to people with mental disorders. The church merely perpetuates the problems of Straight Inc, just to a lesser degree. Those who suffer from mental disorders need professional, evidence based, care.

Offline Triumvirate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »
There is no god
The bible is manmade lies
There is no Heaven
Hell is here and now

The bible is a work of fiction not to be taken literally.

Havent you guys wasted enough time in cults?

Be brave...face the fact that chaos is all we have. Its the very thing that destroys and creates our universe over and over...

Dont you wonder why...when you pray noone ever answers?

Keep seeking and you too will find that there is no god...and hypothetically, if there were a single figurehead "God" hed fucking hate us.
Entire, complete serenity
Injected intravenously
Transgression euphoric bliss divine
Initiate a timeless stain of mind
Blood will steralize, In fire baptised

Offline Triumvirate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »
What makes you think that "everyone" deserves love and hapiness?
Do you honestly believe this?
Did Charlie (Manson) deserve love and hapiness?
What about Dahmer?
What about Gein? His mother's strict christian punishment and rules led him to nail her bedroom shut and decorate his house in human bones...to parade in the moonlight masturbating while wearing a suit of human skin...
 Is he deserving of love?

When you see a homless crackhead near you in a strange city do you shower them with love and hope? Or do you lock your car and run inside the church with your kind?
Injected intravenously

Offline Triumvirate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »
After Forever ***(T Iommi,B. Ward,G.Butler,O.Ozbourne)

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or do you keep your cool?
Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope - do you think he's a fool?
Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways
And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say
If they knew you believe in God above?
They should realize before they criticize
that God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you don't believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down, now you can't retrieve

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate
Or will you still jeer at all you hear? Yes! I think it's too late.

I think Ozzy wrote this when he was feeling like you were...

Injected intravenously
Blood will sterilize[ This Message was edited by: Triumvirate on 2004-05-09 11:16 ]
Injected intravenously